of 9

2007-05-23 6:55 PM
in reply to: #813107

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - OPEN
runningshorts - 2007-05-23 6:34 AM

You know halfdome and tbctbc, I'll do your running if you do my swimming! I love running.

Please let us in on the secret of loving running.  I have to admit there are times that I like it - but I sure don't love it.  What is it about running that makes it so great for you?  (Shamelessly trying to steal other people's ideas here...)

2007-05-23 7:18 PM
in reply to: #807893

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - ALMOST FULL

General comments on racing and a question for each of you.  For any shorter distance race (generally distances at Olympic level - 1500m/40k/10k or shorter, which is where most of you are aiming right now) it's important to build your distance to at least the race distance (and I would suggest at least a bit farther.)  There's nothing that gives you confidence on race day more than knowing that you have already swam/biked/run that distance in training and so you can DEFINITELY do it.  So - based on where you are at now - is this something that you feel is doable within your race timeframe?  And, do you have a plan to get there? 

And, a note on running - A run is anything you call a run.  Period.  For me, I always walk at least part of my runs - running is hard for me, stressful on my body and short walk breaks let my legs rest just a bit.  Generally, when I've built up distances/time I end up walking a lot towards the end.  However, the next time I run that long it seems to get a little easier.  If you have a goal to run the entire way, go for it, but do not let the fact that you might need to walk a bit bring you down or stop you from doing a race that you want to do.  Trust me - you will NOT be the only one out there who has to walk at least part of the time.  (Same goes for swimming/biking by the way.  I'm just using running as my example, cause that's definitely my hardest event.)

Edited by cadreamer 2007-05-23 7:21 PM
2007-05-23 7:33 PM
in reply to: #814393

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I think I could do the swim right now. I can swim 1500m right now in the pool. I don't know about OWS. I am planning on doing some OWS practices this summer. Biking, I need to add distance. Before my oly, I would like to be able to ride 40 miles comfortably. And the running, well, I will get there anyway I can--walk, crawl

I agree wholeheartedly with you that I will feel more confident going farther distances than the race. Do you think 40 miles is excessive given the race is only 24 miles or is that a reasonable goal? I definitely want to be able to swim, bike, and run more than what is required for the race. Right now, my long bike rides are 2 hours. By July, they will be 3 hours. So I should get more than the 24 miles in easily now and 40 by the end of August.

On the run, I have a lot of negative self talk. You know, my legs hurt, can't breath, everyone is passing me, that kind of stuff. What's funny is that it seems to make me stop running, but does not seem to make me feel bad. Like, I don't really care that people run faster than me. I don't necessarily feel bad about that. What does make me mad, is that I will have 50 people behind me after the swim and bike and only 5 after me on the run. Makes me wonder why I work so hard on the swim and bike only to do terrible on the run. I don't know if that makes sense.
2007-05-23 7:36 PM
in reply to: #814374

cadreamer - 2007-05-23 7:53 PM

Nate_21 - 2007-05-22 6:25 PM Hey Shellee, I would love to join your group. I was kickin' butt with some pretty good trianing but lost my computer/internet for the last little bit so just getting back into it right now. ABOUT ME Was a typical sports freak in high school, played all kinds of sports, swam and played basketball at the provincial level for a couple years. Am just starting to get into running. It's been 4 years since high school and endurance/athleticism has gone wayyyyy down lol, but I have my first 5k race September 1st and just want to concentrate on that for now, maybe do a 10k after that, but for now it's all about the 5k (first race ever!).

So, Nathan (or would you prefer Nate) are you mostly focused on the running right now?  Are you planning on doing any cross training (I would suggest it, just for a bit of a break now and then...)  And, are you following any specific plan?

Hey Shellee, thanks for the question. I guess I'm not really doing too much in terms of cross training right now. I teach swimming lessons in the summer so next week I'll be in the pool 6 hours a day 5 days a week. I do a lot of weight training to, usually around 5 hours a week.

I'm not really following any specific plan, I looked at the couch to 5k and I know I should be doing something a bit more agressive. I have ran 5k on the treadmill in about 29 minutes before, not sure if that helps lol.
2007-05-23 7:36 PM
in reply to: #813720

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Sealion,

You will definitely not be the only person that has to walk during the 5K. My first tri, I walked almost the entire run. I had never done a brick and I could barely move my legs. I ended up walking with some guy and we talked a bit. I saw tons of people walking.
2007-05-23 9:46 PM
in reply to: #814414

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
halfdome - 2007-05-23 5:36 PM

Sealion,

You will definitely not be the only person that has to walk during the 5K. My first tri, I walked almost the entire run. I had never done a brick and I could barely move my legs. I ended up walking with some guy and we talked a bit. I saw tons of people walking.

Yeah...I kind of figured that. I have been swimming up to 900 yard distances. My race is 800ish. I could do more but am building slowly. For biking, I've done up to 12 miles, which is more than my race distance. For running...I'm not there yet. Like many of you, running is my TOTAL weakness. Surprisingly, I am enjoying it...sans shin splints! :-( I would like to not have to walk during the race...but if I do, I do!

2007-05-23 10:05 PM

Hey Shellee, I was wondering if this program would work okay? I would start it in about a month, so for a month I would just be gradually gaining endurance and speed. How you think it looks?

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm
2007-05-23 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
A bit to add about running...
Shellee, you are right, it is definitely a mindset...so much of it is...
My mind has a lot of power over me...

I had a heartrate monitor on a few weeks ago, and watched it go from resting of 57, all the way to 112, just as I was getting myself ready to run...because I'm so stressed that I'm going to *fail* if I dont run the whole thing...and that run, I did at 10min/mile pace...and my heartrate went up to 190!!

BUT yesterday, after being sick for a week, I did 0.45 mile runs at 9min/mile or less (all the way down to almost 8:30) with only 0.05mile walk in between (about 1 minute of walking)...4 of them total, and my heartrate didnt go above 170, and I was able to get it down to 130 on the walk part - all because I didn't have the stress of THINKING about that I had to run the whole hting...

SO, I'm going to do my runs, and just let myself walk when I need to, I think its just something that I have to do so I dont overdo the heartbeat...its ok...and I'll probably go just as fast...maybe by the end of the summer, I'll be able to run without a problem...but for right now, this is the way to do it - or else I really do psych myself out and not enjoy it (yesterday was fun though)!!

PS-You guys and your Hot...I'm from Ft. Lauderdale...so the hotter it is, the more I like it...except for the sunburn
2007-05-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #814574

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Nate_21 - 2007-05-23 8:05 PM Hey Shellee, I was wondering if this program would work okay? I would start it in about a month, so for a month I would just be gradually gaining endurance and speed. How you think it looks?

Hey Nate - great minds think alike (cause of course I have a great mind) cause I was going to refer you to Hal Higdon.  I used his plans for my half-marathon (well kinda modified) in May.  I think as long as you can be close to the levels of running that this plan calls for at the beginning that would be a great way to go.  FWIW I wouldn't worry about the speed AT ALL and just work on getting up to the distances at an easy comfortable pace.  There should be enough speed work in the plan once you start it at 8 weeks out. 

Edited by cadreamer 2007-05-23 10:33 PM
2007-05-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: #814376

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
cadreamer - 2007-05-23 7:55 PM
runningshorts - 2007-05-23 6:34 AM

You know halfdome and tbctbc, I'll do your running if you do my swimming! I love running.

Please let us in on the secret of loving running.  I have to admit there are times that I like it - but I sure don't love it.  What is it about running that makes it so great for you?  (Shamelessly trying to steal other people's ideas here...)

To be honest, at first I hated running because it was something I had to do to train for field hockey hell week. 6 AM runs with coach who had a 8:30 min/mile was tough. Then hockey ended, and I needed something to do and that is all I had the money for. So, I took the dog and went for a run, but I told myself I'm going at my pace (right now, average 10:30 min/mile) and if I want to walk I'm going to, and even now I still walk sometimes.

To stop thinking about the pain of shin splints, breathing, am I landing right, and so on and so on, I focus on anything but running. Meditation sometime works, so does working through problems, planning events/parties, what I'm going to do tomorrow, and so on.

Not every run is perfect, but that is what motivates me to go and do it again. 

Edited by runningshorts 2007-05-24 8:39 AM
2007-05-24 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
cadreamer - 2007-05-23 8:18 PM

General comments on racing and a question for each of you.  For any shorter distance race (generally distances at Olympic level - 1500m/40k/10k or shorter, which is where most of you are aiming right now) it's important to build your distance to at least the race distance (and I would suggest at least a bit farther.)  There's nothing that gives you confidence on race day more than knowing that you have already swam/biked/run that distance in training and so you can DEFINITELY do it.  So - based on where you are at now - is this something that you feel is doable within your race timeframe?  And, do you have a plan to get there? 

And, a note on running - A run is anything you call a run.  Period.  For me, I always walk at least part of my runs - running is hard for me, stressful on my body and short walk breaks let my legs rest just a bit.  Generally, when I've built up distances/time I end up walking a lot towards the end.  However, the next time I run that long it seems to get a little easier.  If you have a goal to run the entire way, go for it, but do not let the fact that you might need to walk a bit bring you down or stop you from doing a race that you want to do.  Trust me - you will NOT be the only one out there who has to walk at least part of the time.  (Same goes for swimming/biking by the way.  I'm just using running as my example, cause that's definitely my hardest event.)

I have a plan for biking and running, still working on the swim part, hope to have that finished today.

In my plans I will be at race distance for running week 9 and bike week 10 out of the 13 weeks I have until my triathlon. (week one started 5/21) Is that going to give me enough endurance? Do I need to change my plans, especially for biking?

Edited by runningshorts 2007-05-24 8:51 AM

2007-05-24 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Question...can anyone tell me where I can purchase tri specific shorts. I'm looking for the types that you can wear to swim, bike and run in. The triathlon that I'm doing, we can't wear wetsuits because the water gets to warm. So I was going to wear the shorts and find a top that I can be comfortable in to swim.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

runningshorts

2007-05-24 11:13 AM

User image

cadreamer - 2007-05-23 7:18 PM

My first tri is 4 1/2 weeks away...OMG...I can't believe it's only 4 1/2 weeks away. 

440 yd swim/13.5 mi bike/3 mi run. 

I can swim 1000 yds straight, so I'm not worried about the swim.  I have biked 13 mi, so I can do a couple longer bikes (15ish mi) within the next 2 weeks and be confident in the bike.  The run is what I am worried about.  The most I have run is 2 mi.  I plan on doing a longer run on Saturday...hopefully 3 mi...and I won't let it bother me if I have to walk a bit.  ;o)

2007-05-24 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD

Is there still room, or are you now full?  Thread is growing fast!!

2007-05-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #815267

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
getnfit - 2007-05-24 9:36 AM

Is there still room, or are you now full?  Thread is growing fast!!

There is room - you are IN! Hmmm... probably one more and then I'll close it.

2007-05-24 6:39 PM
in reply to: #815366

User image

Veteran
Can I be the last one? 

2007-05-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: #816123

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - FULL

gonnatrione - 2007-05-24 4:39 PM Can I be the last one? 

Yep - Just cause I like your avatar.

EVERYONE who has not yet filled out the basic information form - please do so. 

We are officially off and running. (or walking as the case may be.)

2007-05-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: #815067

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
runningshorts - 2007-05-24 8:00 AM

Question...can anyone tell me where I can purchase tri specific shorts. I'm looking for the types that you can wear to swim, bike and run in. The triathlon that I'm doing, we can't wear wetsuits because the water gets to warm. So I was going to wear the shorts and find a top that I can be comfortable in to swim.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

runningshorts

Go to google and type in "Tri Shorts"  Also, BT has a store here that sells them.  I don't have any specific brand recommendations, they are all good.  Make sure you check out the sizing chart before ordering, cause they run different sizes (just like all other clothing, go figure) Also, make sure you are buying a triathlon specific short and not a cycling short.  Trishorts have less padding and are built so you can swim/cycle/run in them.

If the $$ is too much, do the research on the regular sites and then start lurking on Ebay.  Serious deals can be found there if you are willing to take the time and wait.

2007-05-24 7:12 PM
in reply to: #816135

User image

Veteran

Yep - Just cause I like your avatar.

You gotta love Frank Zappa!!

2007-05-24 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Ok, sounds like everyone has at least some sort of plan of how they are training for their races.  Very Good.

Everyone who asked if their mileage would be enough the answer is YES.  Everyone who posted that question (or form thereof) is going to be at the race distance (or a little longer) by race day.  For your first one - that is plenty to get you through while feeling great the whole way. 

If possible - build up your long sessions to just a bit longer than the race distance.  This will help with both endurance and confidence.  Example:

800 yd race swim - 1000 yd long training swim
12 mile bike - 15 mile long training ride
5k run - 3 mile run (uh, I mean, 4 mile run, yeah)

MOST of you look like you should be fine to get to this.  IF NOT do NOT worry, you will still have enough to finish strong, trust me race day adrenaline can carry you through a lot.

to halfdome - 40 miles long ride is NOT overkill for an Olympic distance tri.  In fact, the better bike shape you are in, the easier it's going to be to run off the bike.  So far this year I've ramped up to 65 miles (been taking a break the last couple of weeks cause of the half-marathon) and I'll be doing a few 40+ mile rides prior to my first Oly this year on June 10.

2007-05-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: #816135

User image

Veteran

Where do I find the basic information form?

Woo Hoo - Here we go!! 

2007-05-24 7:21 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Basic Info - Please respond to the following.

NAME/Location/Job:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:  

CURRENT TRAINING:   

2007 RACES:   

WEIGHTLOSS: 

GOALS: 

2007-05-24 7:41 PM
in reply to: #810246

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I am interested in what people have done for nutrition in the oly. For the sprints, I have not really done anything because I did not think I would need it. But I am sure I will for the oly. When and what do you suggest eating/drinking during the race. I am also very concerned about eating before the race. I have no problem eating before training sessions, but can't seem to really force any food down on race morning. Any thoughts?
2007-05-24 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD
NAME/Location/Job: Wendol/Ft. Washington, MD (DC suburbs)/ Info Tech

STORY: This is my 3rd year of training, 2nd year of races

FAMILY STATUS: 1 wife and 2 kids (1yr old, & 3yr old)

CURRENT TRAINING: A goal of 3-5 hours leading up to race day

2007 RACES: a couple of 5Ks, a super sprint, and a 1/2 mary (hopefully)

WEIGHTLOSS: 2005=from 307-240/2006=240-280/2007=280-?

GOALS: loose weight, gain speed

2007-05-24 11:25 PM

User image

Birmingham, MI
OK... It's time to introduce myself to the group

Name: robbkoz/Robb
I live in Birmingham, MI and sell Diagnostic tests in the medical industry.

Story: I decided in October of 2006 with the encouragement of a friend of mine that I was going to complete a triathlon in 2007. He does 4-5 a summer. I have always been an active person but this is the first time that I had a goal like this. I enjoy sailing, skiing and golf. And now I enjoy training for a tri. I started training slowly because I new I had all the time in the world to get ready for next year. Things were going OK and then I injured my knee in a freak accident. MCL sprain and a partial meniscus tear to the right knee. For almost 10 weeks I was unable to do much of anything. I couldn't even pedal the bike one rotation at the gym. In a way I wish I would have torn the ligament so I could have had the surgery and have a quicker recovery time. We all know that sprains are worse than tears or breaks. Early February was the turning point and I was back at it. I spent most of the time trying to build the strength back in my legs to start training again. A neighbor of mine mentioned BT so I looked at the site and was impressed. Come to find out a good friend and colleague of mine is also very active in BT and has been very supportive.

Status: I have been married 7 years and have a daughter (5) and son (3).

Current Training: I love the run and I love the bike, but the swimming is kicking my butt!! I can swim but not very far at this point. I had a tough time with the whole breathing thing but it has gotten better. I just need to get into the pool. I am currently running about 10-12 miles/wk and cycling 30 miles/wk.

Races: Completed a 5 miler in early May. This was supposed to be a 5K but the park was misinformed and set it as 5 miles. Oh well!! I had a feeling it was longer because of how I felt and also noticing my time as I crossed the finish line. 50m 31s Not bad for my first time. Last weekend I did 50 mile bike ride in 3h 21m. The first 25 was tough with some decent hills and the second 25 was all flat and could really get going.

June - 5K-20k-5k duathlon
September - 800M swim, 15M bike, 5K run triathlon

Goals: To get better with everything and most of all enjoy myself.

Cheers!!

Robb

Edited by robbkoz 2007-05-24 11:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cadreamer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9