BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cadreamer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-05-19 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Cadreamer's Group - FULL

NAME: cadreamer/ Shellee, I live in Concord, CA and I'm a mathematics teacher at the HS level.

STORY: Back in 2000, my sister talked me into doing the San Jose Sprint Triathlon.  I'd been thinking about doing one for some time, but thought that I was too fat and too slow.  Well, I did it and then I was hooked and I've been doing this sport ever since.  I usually do 3-5 triathlons plus some other specific sport races every year (except 2004 - which was a very bad year, personally) and I've been slowly working my way up the distance meter.  I've always had dreams of being an athlete, but unfortunately, the genes I got handed are slow ones.  In other words, I've never been fast enough to be on any team. Right now, I'm definitely in the Back of the Pack (I've come in last at races a couple of times), but then again, I'm not doing this to win.  I'm a decent swimmer, a medium-slow biker, and an ultra-slow runner.  I love triathlon and plan to do them as long as I am physically able.  Why do I tri?

1- Racing.  Gives me motivation to get out the door and train.  Racing is my reward.
2- For fitness.  I'm in the best shape of my life. (weight notwithstanding.)
3- Weight Loss - well, I thought it would work that way, but this has not happened. *yet.

FAMILY STATUS: Single (well, divorced single) two kids, girl (17) and a boy (15) who live with their dad.  My daughter is graduating from HS this year and going off to college. 

CURRENT TRAINING: This year I'm generally following the Intermediate Oly plan from this site and doing about 5-10 hours of training per week.  I swim with a Master's swim team (love it), bike and run by myself (usually.)  I do train with a HRM (needs a new battery right now though), and while I'm very focused on improving, I'm also focused on my quality of life.  Triathlon is something I do for FUN not to kill myself or make myself feel bad cause I didn't go fast enough or whatever.  I am competitive - I'm just competing not to be last - instead of to be first.  

I'm a big proponent of listening to your body, not pushing too far past your limits and enjoying the process.  I've been injury free since I started this sport and along the way I've learned a lot.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I did one sprint, one Oly, a couple of 5k's a couple of OW swims (1m to 1 1/2 m) and a bike tour of 60 miles.

2007 RACES:  So far this year:  a 5k, a trail run 12k, a metric century bike ride, a 1/2 marathon.  My first tri of the year is this weekend, a sprint.  On tap for the rest of the year, a 1 m OW swim, 2 Oly's, my first 1/2 IM (gulp - don't even know if I'll be ready or not) - then probably a few more events past that, once I've decided on them.  I tend not to race as much as a lot of other people on this site, due to budget constraints, plus I won't cut into my family time with my kids (since I only get to see them every other weekend.)

WEIGHTLOSS: I haven't lost ANY weight so far as a triathlete.  This, seriously, has been the biggest challenge I've ever had.  I could write a book about the yo-yoing, falling off the wagon and gaining 40 pounds, feeling like, why even bother - this is so da** frustrating.  I think FINALLY this year things are coming together and I'm finally seeing some actual progress.  I joined WW online and I think that's helping, plus a couple of other mindset things.  At least I'm not any fatter and I'm healthy. 

If you'd like more details - check out my logs, and welcome!

Edited by cadreamer 2007-05-24 6:50 PM

2007-05-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #807893

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - OPEN

Hi cadreamer,

I would like to join your mentoring program, if you’ll have me.

ABOUT ME

In my past life (12 years ago), I was a college athlete, played field hockey for Ball State University, Muncie, IN. About three years ago, I started working out again, and training for local 5K races. Needing a new goal to push me, because I get board easily, and not really losing any weight, and I can’t forget all the great conversations with a co-work/good friend (FishrCutB8), I decided to sign up for my first triathlon in August.

GOALS

1. Finish my first triathlon (RYKA Iron Girl Columbia, MD ~August 19th)

2. Lose weight…right now I weight 171, dreaming of the college field hockey body of 135, but would settle for 145.

3. Just live a healthier life.

Thanks for any support you can give me,

Beth

Edited by runningshorts 2007-05-21 2:44 PM
2007-05-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: #810246

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Love to have you Beth!

A couple of questions to get things started: Are you following a specific training plan for your triathlon in August? Is that going to be your first one? And, since you listed weight loss as one of your goals, have you figured out a beginning plan for that?

Also, is there anything else YOU would like to know right now?

Welcome aboard!

2007-05-21 10:44 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Is it too late to join your group?

Half
2007-05-21 10:55 PM
in reply to: #811077

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

halfdome - 2007-05-21 8:44 PM Is it too late to join your group? Half

Nope - come right on in... 

Please introduce yourself - maybe a little bit about you, background, your goals and anything else you like.  If you have any specific questions right now - feel free to post those as well.

Welcome!

2007-05-21 11:16 PM
in reply to: #811086

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks Cad,

Name: halfdome/rebecca. live in AZ

Family--live with significant other. have 3 dogs and one cat

Background: played field hockey and soccer in high school. not much since. hike most weekends in the winter. have hiked the Grand Canyon all the way across in one day 20 plus miles, 6000 feet elevation gain. just transitioning into tri's

Goals

oly in september
1/2 mary in September
become better runner
lose weight
train consistently

Races so far in 2007

5K january 1
1/2 mary January 14
sprint tri-march
sprint tri-april
splash and dash-april
sprin tri-may

I am a good swimmer, ok biker, and terrible runner. I am just starting a training plan mixing a 1/2 mary with the oly plan here. Have not been consistent.

Thanks for letting me in!!

2007-05-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #810640

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. To answer your question about a training plan, no I’m not following one right now. I have looked at several different ones, some from this site and a couple from books and other sites, but I have not found one that I think fits me. For example, I think some are too easy and others way too hard. I would have to say that running is my strongest of the three sports, followed by biking (need to work on it) and as for swimming, I hope I just don’t drown.

Yes this will be my first ever triathlon. As I said, all I want to do is finish, and have fun. Then next year, decide on a goal time and go for it. Not sure if you had any time to check out the RYKA Iron Girl, but it is a .62 mi swim ~ 17.5 bike ~ 3.3 run. They (Iron Girl) just put a time limit on the event, which now has me really worried. When I first signed up, there was no time limits. According to the information from the web site, you have 1 hour to complete the swim or your done, and 4 hours, 30 minutes for the whole triathlon. I think I can do it in that amount of time, but then again I don’t know.

No plan either for the weight loss, but I do have an appointment for a consultation with a sport nutritionist on Thursday (May 24th) of this week. I’ll be honest with you, weight loss is a hard topic for me. I have a family history of obesity and diabetes. My mom is constantly on my case about how much I weigh. I’m 5 ft 4 in, and the last time I had my fat percentage taken (January) I was 40%. I don’t really look fat, but I do carry most of it in my belly, not a good place. In fact, my mom thinks I’m crazy for doing a triathlon, or working out, and that I should just knuckle under and go to Jenny Craig or some place like that.

Health and Fitness was my major in college, so you would think I would be better prepared for starting out on this journey. Sorry, not sure why I’m not better organized. I promise I will work hard, and follow everything.

I don’t have any question right now, but I’m sure as time goes on I will.

Thanks again,

runningshorts

Edited by runningshorts 2007-05-22 8:37 AM
2007-05-22 9:33 AM
in reply to: #811101

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

halfdome - 2007-05-21 9:16 PM 

Goals
oly in september
1/2 mary in September
become better runner
lose weight
train consistently

Wow.  You've done a lot of races so far this year!  Great job.  How are you feeling now?  Burnt out/wanting to rest - or are you feeling motivated and ready to go on to the next challenge?

Next question - how close together are the Oly and the 1/2 marathon?  What are the dates on those, and which is more important to you as far as a goal time?

On the running - best advice to get better is to be consistent. Get out there and run at least 3x a week (4x is better but I struggle with that one myself.)  It doesn't have to be long and it doesn't have to be fast - but just putting in the time/miles will improve your running immensely.  Once you get used to 3x a week - then start putting in some longer sessions.

2007-05-22 8:13 PM
in reply to: #811372

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
runningshorts - 2007-05-22 6:31 AM

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. To answer your question about a training plan, no I’m not following one right now. I have looked at several different ones, some from this site and a couple from books and other sites, but I have not found one that I think fits me. For example, I think some are too easy and others way too hard. I would have to say that running is my strongest of the three sports, followed by biking (need to work on it) and as for swimming, I hope I just don’t drown.

Well, in that case a good bet might be to mix and match.  You want to be doing at least 2x a week in each sport.  From there, pick the swimming from one plan, the running from another and the biking from a 3rd (each one to match your ability level now.)  If running is your strongest sport, focus on maintaining that - while improving the bike and the swim to the same level.  Since you are saying that the swim is your challenge, I'd suggest planning 3x a week swimming.  You might want to check out Total Immersion (good exercises for the beginner) and then just commit to getting in the pool on a regular basis.

Yes this will be my first ever triathlon. As I said, all I want to do is finish, and have fun. Then next year, decide on a goal time and go for it. Not sure if you had any time to check out the RYKA Iron Girl, but it is a .62 mi swim ~ 17.5 bike ~ 3.3 run. They (Iron Girl) just put a time limit on the event, which now has me really worried. When I first signed up, there was no time limits. According to the information from the web site, you have 1 hour to complete the swim or your done, and 4 hours, 30 minutes for the whole triathlon. I think I can do it in that amount of time, but then again I don’t know.

That amount of time is easily doable (well, unless you are planning to push your bike and crawl...)  As far as the swim 1 hour is a LONG time for that distance.  .62 of a mile is not that far.  About 1000 yards.  Ok, that may seem like a huge distance right now, but trust me, you will be able to build up to that and past it before your tri.  Also, you do NOT have to do freestyle (crawl) the whole way - if you feel more comfortable breast stroking, side stroking, dog paddling that option is there.  Get in the pool a few times and then come back and ask questions if you feel like you're not getting anywhere.  Remember, it's about building up slowly.  If you're a runner, you've got the aerobic engine already, you just need to get it in gear for the swimming.

No plan either for the weight loss, but I do have an appointment for a consultation with a sport nutritionist on Thursday (May 24th) of this week. I’ll be honest with you, weight loss is a hard topic for me. I have a family history of obesity and diabetes. My mom is constantly on my case about how much I weigh. I’m 5 ft 4 in, and the last time I had my fat percentage taken (January) I was 40%. I don’t really look fat, but I do carry most of it in my belly, not a good place. In fact, my mom thinks I’m crazy for doing a triathlon, or working out, and that I should just knuckle under and go to Jenny Craig or some place like that.

No offense to your Mom, but working out is one of the best ways to improve your health.  I weigh more than you do - and if I can do this so can you.  My BP is low/normal, all health indicators are great (except the weight issue and my cholesterol but that's a family genetics thing) and I credit it to triathlons.  I ALSO have energy and fitness to do other things that I love which is very important to me.

Some beginning ideas on diet - first of all, make sure you are getting enough protein.  When you start working out more, your body needs it.  I find that if I don't eat enough protein that I just start craving food.  Any food. And then I eat more than I should.  Right now, I'd say that my diet is about 50-60% carbs, 20-30% protein and I try for 20% or under in fat.  That carb % may seem high, but if you're doing endurance sports (like triathlon) you need the carbs to fuel your workouts.  I also do not totally deny myself anything.  (I have emotional eating issues - which I can address later if you are interested in how I'm FINALLY dealing with that.)  There are obviously many methods for weight loss - counting calories (this site has a nifty calorie tracker if you want to try that), going by "feel" (doesn't work for me), the Zone diet (again a good plan for an athlete, I tried it, didn't work for me either).  I started WW online this year, and finally seem to have found a plan that is giving me results.  If you are interested I'd suggest tracking exactly what you eat for a week or so under the nutrition tracking (in the logs) and then I could give you some better feedback if you are interested.  Or just list what you are eating every day in your logs.  Also, Chris Carmichael put out a book on Endurance Sports nutrition that is supposed to be very good - but it's also very technical, and I have not worked my way through it myself.

Health and Fitness was my major in college, so you would think I would be better prepared for starting out on this journey. Sorry, not sure why I’m not better organized. I promise I will work hard, and follow everything.

Don't worry, we're all crazy here anyway.  Enjoy the ride, it's a rush.  Don't panic, don't forget your towel and you'll do just fine.  One step at a time.

2007-05-22 8:17 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

To everyone - I STRONGLY suggest that you start keeping track of what you are doing in the logs.  This is one of the most helpful things I know to keep you on track as well as to see where you've been.

Also a good way for us to check up on each other from time to time.

2007-05-22 8:25 PM

Hey Shellee, I would love to join your group. I was kickin' butt with some pretty good trianing but lost my computer/internet for the last little bit so just getting back into it right now.

ABOUT ME
Was a typical sports freak in high school, played all kinds of sports, swam and played basketball at the provincial level for a couple years. Am just starting to get into running. It's been 4 years since high school and endurance/athleticism has gone wayyyyy down lol, but I have my first 5k race September 1st and just want to concentrate on that for now, maybe do a 10k after that, but for now it's all about the 5k (first race ever!).

GOALS
Stay motivated, lose a little weight. Learn as much as I can. Become more happier in life, try to enjoy more things around me and hopefully competition will bring this out in me again.

My name is Nathan, and I hope to join the team and hear from you soon!

2007-05-22 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!
I wanta be in your group, YEAH!!!!!

A bit about me:
My name is Tonya, I'm 30 years old, married with two dogs (they are my children), and I teach science in a High School in Florida. School is out in 7 days This was a very stressful year cause it was my first time with an AP class which took up a lot of my time this year!!

I got into triathlons last summer, because school had been really stressful, and I hadn't exercised in 6 months...I also found that I was discouraging my husband from exercising at the time, cause I wanted him to be as lazy as me, and at that point, I didn't want to be like that again...I dragged him into it with me, and turns out that he is AMAZING at it...and I'm uhhh, not...

We do a lot of triathlon stuff/craziness...this year:

March17: sprint tri
April1: minisprint tri
April22: 5K
April29: olympic tri
May12: 50mile bike race
May20: sprint tri

he always medals, I never do, so sometimes that gets a little frustrating...my goal is to not get last in my age group, and to have fun...currently we do mostly sprints, we have done two Olympics...

My goal over the summer is to get better at everything and to not get sunburned (I'm getting sunspots, which are really gross)...ohhh, and I NEED to start eating better - want to lose about 10pounds, so I'd love to talk that also

Edited by tbctbc 2007-05-22 9:04 PM
2007-05-22 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Runningshorts -

I want to echo what Shellee said...exercising is that best thing that you can do for your overall health...sign up for the tri...and get in the pool, and just swim...its one of those things that gets easier fast...best would be to sign up for a masters swim program, cause if you pay - you go

I have two people at my school that I've convinced to do tris...one did the one last weekend with me and LOVED it, and she didn't do any practice except for swim - cause I made her swim to get comfortable in the water...she walked the whole run, and it was no problem getting in in the time allotted...

4h 30min wont be a problem, just sign up - NOW...and work at it from there (aka, don't let the time thing keep you from doing it - sign up and then work so that the time thing wont be a concern)...

Can't wait to see your logs
2007-05-22 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Halfdome-

You sound like me...I LOVE the swim, I just think while I'm doing it how wonderful it is...then the bike...ehhh, not too bad...then the run I just DREAD! ugh...I get left in the dust...by everyone (at my last race, a 78 year old ran by me...that's not good)
2007-05-22 9:28 PM
in reply to: #812810

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
tbctbc - 2007-05-22 9:19 PM

Halfdome-

You sound like me...I LOVE the swim, I just think while I'm doing it how wonderful it is...then the bike...ehhh, not too bad...then the run I just DREAD! ugh...I get left in the dust...by everyone (at my last race, a 78 year old ran by me...that's not good)

Sometimes I ride slower so I don't have to run so soon!!!hehe And I take longer in transition to delay starting my run!! I know that is sooo bad, but I can't help it
2007-05-22 9:39 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Hi Cad,

I did do a lot of races this year. I am taking a break for a bit and focusing on training. I did most of those with little training. Plus, it is getting hot here. Last race, I suffered from dehydration and heat exhaustion. See RR.

In terms of which is more important, oly or half, I am not sure. Half mary is going to be a family vacation. My family is going to be there watching me run and other family members are going to be running too. I took three hours in January. Would like to cut 20 mins or so off. On the other hand, I know I can suffer through the mileage even if my training is spotty. I would like to do it without suffering so much.

That being said, I like tris better and am really excited about the oly. I guess this is more important to me. The tri and the half are about three weeks apart. Half mary is first. I am hoping that training will really help me on the run in the oly.

I know I need to run more. Have three runs planned every week. 3 swims and 3 bikes, 1 brick. I tend to skip my runs much more often than my bike or swim. It is a mental thing with me. I need to work on that. My mind likes to tell me to stop running.

I also need to lose weight. That would help my running. Has been hard. My mom has been visiting/staying at my house for the last 4 months. She has been making big dinners every night. Not used to that and so I have gained weight. She is leaving on Thursday. So hopefully I can lose some weight.

2007-05-23 12:56 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Welcome Nathan and Tonya!  Glad to have you...

Well, after reading what everyone has said so far - I'm thinking we should stand around in a circle and chant "Running sucks, running sucks, running sucks..." 

Just kidding.

Actually your mental mindset about the activity has a LOT to do with how much you enjoy it/will do it.  If you tell yourself every time that you hate it/dread it - pretty soon you do - and then you avoid it, doing it less than ever, and then you get worse at it, and dread it even more.  It can be a very bad cycle.

If you want to get better at something you MUST do it.  You must do it frequently (at least 3x a week.) And for me, it is KEY to come up with something mental that is positive and not negative.  The visual one I use the MOST often is that when I run each step is killing off fat molecules.  I actually envision little fat globs disappearing in little "poofs" as I run.  I also tell myself the following: "Running makes me stronger.  I am becoming a better runner with every step."  Then just naming things that I LIKE about running.  Being outside, feeling the air, seeing the sunset, etc.  Whatever makes you feel GOOD about running.  That's what you need to focus on.  Replace the negative "I hate this" with positive talk.

I will admit it does not work all the time - I've had runs from hell where all I wanted to do was go home and never put my feet in running shoes again.  Not everything can be nice/easy and if you're not a natural runner - running will be the biggest challenge you have.

Tonya - Try Kinesys sunscreen.  The very best I've ever used.  Other people strongly recommend Bullfrog so try that too.

Rebecca - As far as a plan, I'd stick with the Olympic but extend the long run out every week til you get close (at least 10 miles) to the 1/2 marathon distance.  Don't worry about pace on these runs, just worry about getting the distance in.  If necessary, cut back on the bike or swim slightly, to get your long runs in.  The 1/2 marathon distance will only help you in the Oly - it'll seem like a breeze in comparison.

On dehydration/heat - I, personally, need to start working out in the heat as it gets hotter outside.  Your body will adapt but you need to give it some time.  I'd think maybe doing NO heat training affected you during the race.  Yes, dehydration is an issue - but a bigger one is that while you are drinking you should also be taking in electrolytes to balance it out.  Have you looked into that?  I use Endurolytes by Hammer (they work really well) also, I make my own sports drink to which I add extra salt/light salt. (Ok, I am cheap...)  I have experienced what you did, and it is no fun and takes a little while to feel 100% again.  Actually, I used to get nauseous/dizzy on any workout over an hour until I figured out that I needed more electrolyte replacement.  Watch out any time you stop sweating.  That's a very bad sign.

2007-05-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: #812807

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

tbctbc and cadreamer,

In my eyes, Mom's are Mom's, they always want the best for you but don't always know how to help. Most of the time with mine, I let it go in one ear and out the other....I can say that here because she doesn't know about the site. LOL!

Thanks for all the encouragement, I finally began last night putting a plan together for both biking and running. I actually did what you said cadreamer, took stuff from one plan and combined it with another. I'm going to look today for stuff on swimming. Growing up, I was able to swim before I could walk, but the last time I was in a pool was.....

Side note tbctbc, my sister lives in Tampa!

I look forward to working with all of you.

runningshorts

2007-05-23 8:34 AM
in reply to: #812822

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

halfdome - 2007-05-22 10:28 PM
tbctbc - 2007-05-22 9:19 PM Halfdome- You sound like me...I LOVE the swim, I just think while I'm doing it how wonderful it is...then the bike...ehhh, not too bad...then the run I just DREAD! ugh...I get left in the dust...by everyone (at my last race, a 78 year old ran by me...that's not good)
Sometimes I ride slower so I don't have to run so soon!!!hehe And I take longer in transition to delay starting my run!! I know that is sooo bad, but I can't help it

You know halfdome and tbctbc, I'll do your running if you do my swimming! I love running.

2007-05-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: #812921

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
On the dehydration issue, I drank quite a bit during the race and I drank my sports drink. However, I don't think I was well hydrated the week before the race and that is where my problem started. The temps creeped up into the upper 90's during the race. Had not been that hot for long. I usually do training in the heat because of where I live. But this was the beginning of it getting hot and had not had time to adjust. I felt fine during the bike and swim, but horrible during the run. I ended up having the chills most of the run. I walked a good chunk of the run because of the chills.

So far I have been able to keep up with all three. I do my long run on Saturday unless I am going out of town, then I do it on Friday. I was hoping that the oly run would be easier having just done the 1/2 mary. I am glad you agree!!!!!
2007-05-23 11:45 AM

User image

YAY!!!  Cadreamer's Group is still OPEN!!!  I want in!

NAME: jellogal/ Sherist, I live in Fort Wayne, IN and I'm work for an HR consulting firm...I calculate pension benefits for retirees

STORY: While camping over 4th of July weekend last year, a friend of mine (since 4th grade) asked me if I'd like to join him in a triathlon in 2007.  I was debating...I wasn't sure I'd be ready in time, I was thinking I was too fat...basically making a bunch of excuses to NOT do something, which would be really cool.  The next day, my cousin Paul was killed in Iraq.  Paul had competed in duathlons and had been wanting to try a triathlon, but wasn't confident enough in his swimming skills.  That day, I decided I would train for triathlon.  My first race will be for Paul.

I started swimming competitively in 5th grade and continued through high school.  I'm not a fast bike rider, but I love it.  I've never enjoyed running.  The farthest I have run w/o walking is 2 miles.

FAMILY STATUS: My boyfriend lives with me, we have no children and one dog (Buddy).  My brother will be moving in with us within the next couple of weeks (he just got a job with me). 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm not following a training plan.  Right now, I'm just trying to get training in each week for each sport...kinda making it up as I go.  I was pretty dedicated to logging my training on bt.com, but I haven't over the past couple of weeks.  I will start today.  

2007 RACES:  My first race will be an OWS on June 16.  My first triathlon will be the following weekend, June 23.  Then, I'll be doing a 4 mile run on the 4th of July. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 25 lbs since I started training last July.  It's been slow, but steady.  I love lurking in the weightloss forums here on bt.com. 

Edited by jellogal 2007-05-23 11:46 AM

2007-05-23 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Shellee...is it too late to join??? Here's my info!

NAME: Jocelyn. I am an almost 33-year old high school science teacher. I live in Long Beach, CA.

STORY: In Junior High and High School I was a competitive swimmer and LOVED it. In college I swam on my own, but didn't have time to join a team. I met my husband at the end of college and he ended up training for the Santa Barbara Tri. A flu kept him out of it and he never did do a tri. I thought it sounded fun but didn't have time to train. Throughout my twenties and early thirties, I put on a LOT of weight. I still wanted to do a tri, but felt I had to lose weight and get fit first. Last September I heard about the Long Beach Triathlon, which is a sprint, right near my house! I decided that training might be a good way to lose weight, and set my sights on spending a year training and losing weight for the tri. I'm most of the way there. I can easily swim the 1/2 mile, though I have to get used to open water. I can easily ride the 11 miles. The only gliche is that I can't yet run a full 5K. I can do three miles if I walk about a minute between each mile. If I run it all together I get shin splints. In September, I could barely run for 1 minute, so it is still a massive improvement.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for ten years. I have a 6 year old daughter, a 5 year old son, 3 cats and 2 goldfish.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is based on the lots of reading I have done. My goal is 3 runs, 3 swims, 3 bike rides, and 2 strenth trainings a week. However, I rarely acheive that and do what I can. I've been training for 8 months, so I've built a good base for swimming and biking and am now adding some longer and harder endurance workouts. Still trying to build the run up to the race distance.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: This is my first tri season. I have never competed in any running or cycling event. I did compete in swimming in the late 80's and early 90's and was strongest at distance freestyle and backstroke.

2007 RACES: I am already entered in the Long Beach Triathlon (Sept), Day at the Beach Tri in Hermosa Beach (Oct), and the Catalina Tri (Nov). Long Beach shouldn't be too bad, though it will be my first. The only issue with Hermosa is a wave entry, so I have to practice that. Catalina has some bike climbs that scare me, but I want to try. This summer I may do the Pacific Open Water Challenge, an open water 1/2 mile swim event in Long Beach for practice. I'd like to do a 5K or two, but want to wait until I can run the whole thing.

WEIGHTLOSS: The first three months of training, I didn't lose a pound, but my clothes got looser...presumably from gaining muscle while losing fat. I joined Weight Watchers in December which has helped. I've since lost 27 pounds and dropped 2 full clothing sizes. I still have a LOT of weight to lose, but I'm getting there...slowly!
2007-05-23 5:00 PM

User image

Birmingham, MI
Shellee,
Is your group still open? Let me know and I will send you info about myself.
2007-05-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: #814260

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

robbkoz - 2007-05-23 3:00 PM Shellee, Is your group still open? Let me know and I will send you info about myself.

You're in!

2007-05-23 6:53 PM
in reply to: #812741

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Nate_21 - 2007-05-22 6:25 PM Hey Shellee, I would love to join your group. I was kickin' butt with some pretty good trianing but lost my computer/internet for the last little bit so just getting back into it right now. ABOUT ME Was a typical sports freak in high school, played all kinds of sports, swam and played basketball at the provincial level for a couple years. Am just starting to get into running. It's been 4 years since high school and endurance/athleticism has gone wayyyyy down lol, but I have my first 5k race September 1st and just want to concentrate on that for now, maybe do a 10k after that, but for now it's all about the 5k (first race ever!).

So, Nathan (or would you prefer Nate) are you mostly focused on the running right now?  Are you planning on doing any cross training (I would suggest it, just for a bit of a break now and then...)  And, are you following any specific plan?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cadreamer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9