Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-06-13 12:27 AM
in reply to: #807893

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - FULL

Hey everyone!  How's it going?  Any questions of the week? 

Nate - I'm not an authority on weight-lifting and endurance sports, but generally, even a 5k is an endurance event.  Usually lifting heavy/low # of reps is recommended for the off-season (when you are not racing) while lighter/more reps is recommended for best performance in racing.

So - I'd go more in that direction if you're focusing on race performance.  As always, the path you choose has to be consistent with your ultimate goals.

2007-06-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #842076

User image

Veteran

Went back to the doctor today for more x-rays.  The swelling is gone, but still tender to any pressure on the topside.  He said there's a fracture on one of the metatarsels (?).  No running or biking, unless I pedal with only one foot (to much pressure) for another 7-10 days.

Oh, well, nothing I can do about it.  We're off for 9 days at Disney World this Friday.  It's the required Disney pilgrimage for our 12 year old daughter.  Guess I'll have to relax and not worry about exercising.

2007-06-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: #842076

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
cadreamer - 2007-06-13 1:27 AM

Hey everyone!  How's it going?  Any questions of the week? 

Nate - I'm not an authority on weight-lifting and endurance sports, but generally, even a 5k is an endurance event.  Usually lifting heavy/low # of reps is recommended for the off-season (when you are not racing) while lighter/more reps is recommended for best performance in racing.

So - I'd go more in that direction if you're focusing on race performance.  As always, the path you choose has to be consistent with your ultimate goals.

I would have to agree with Ca about heavy lifting and racing. Nate I found that http://www.runnersworld.com/ is a good place to go about running and running workouts. I believe I've even seen articles on lifting and running. Hope that helps.

2007-06-13 6:30 PM
in reply to: #843100

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
gonnatrione - 2007-06-13 12:55 PM

Went back to the doctor today for more x-rays.  The swelling is gone, but still tender to any pressure on the topside.  He said there's a fracture on one of the metatarsels (?).  No running or biking, unless I pedal with only one foot (to much pressure) for another 7-10 days.

Oh, well, nothing I can do about it.  We're off for 9 days at Disney World this Friday.  It's the required Disney pilgrimage for our 12 year old daughter.  Guess I'll have to relax and not worry about exercising.

well, have fun at Disney World and be careful - that's still a lot of walking around on a foot that's not quite healed up.

2007-06-14 12:32 AM
in reply to: #843100

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

FYI, there's a recently new rule at Disney, that if you tell them you need to go to the front of the for a malady, they cannot question it and you can go up front fast with your entire party.  Check at the front info station when you go...the info desk is under the train stop, just inside the front gate to the left...if it's the same layout as CA.

My other Disney tips:  umbrella (in case you do have to stand in line in the sun), and spray can of Evian water (can find at a pharmacy).

Have fun!

2007-06-14 12:33 AM
in reply to: #843654

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

front of the LINE, that is!

2007-06-14 7:52 AM
in reply to: #843654

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the tips Dana.

Can you explain the spray can of Evian?

2007-06-14 4:36 PM
in reply to: #843783

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Was VERY big in the late 70s / early 80s or so, I think...the spray water came before the bottled drinking water craze, actually!

It's an aerosol can of water, and it feels great to spray on your face and neck when you are sweaty!

http://www.shop.com/op/~Evian_Mineral_Water_Spray_14_oz_-prod-32928205-42840468?sourceid=298

2007-06-14 5:19 PM
in reply to: #844990

User image

Veteran

Never heard of it, but it sounds like something we'll need.  Off to the store I go Cool.

2007-06-15 11:51 AM
in reply to: #845033

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
gonnatrione - 2007-06-14 3:19 PM

Never heard of it, but it sounds like something we'll need.  Off to the store I go Cool.

Don't know if it's too late, but ALSO buy those bandanas that have the water soaking thing inserted.  You put them in cold water and they stay wet and cold all day.  Wear them around your neck, and it really helps you feel cooler.  Also, a HAT is critical...

2007-06-15 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Hi everyone,

I have some, eh-hem, delicate questions!

So, being a newbie, I have NO idea how triathlons work.  I'm wondering about 2 CRITICAL pieces of equipment and how you work them in:  bike shorts and jog bra.  I'm thinking neither of these is able to do their "job" if soaking wet.  Wet shammies?  That can't be comfy, so I figure triathletes don't wear their bike shorts in the water.  BUT you don't wear undies with bike shorts, so how do you switch into bike shorts in the transition???  Or do you indeed wear your shammies in the h20?

And jog bra?  I'm a double D, so that thing has to be tight like armour--no saggy wet bra is going to do the trick.

What's a gal to do?

2007-06-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: #846767

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
newbiedana - 2007-06-15 9:54 PM

Hi everyone,

So, being a newbie, I have NO idea how triathlons work.  I'm wondering about 2 CRITICAL pieces of equipment and how you work them in:  bike shorts and jog bra.  I'm thinking neither of these is able to do their "job" if soaking wet.  Wet shammies?  That can't be comfy, so I figure triathletes don't wear their bike shorts in the water.  BUT you don't wear undies with bike shorts, so how do you switch into bike shorts in the transition???  Or do you indeed wear your shammies in the h20?

And jog bra?  I'm a double D, so that thing has to be tight like armour--no saggy wet bra is going to do the trick.

What's a gal to do?

Okay, this is a whole topic (what to do in transition) and I don't have time right this minute but I'll get back to this question sometime this weekend and give you all the nitty gritty details...

2007-06-16 5:25 PM
in reply to: #846767

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
newbiedana - 2007-06-15 9:54 PM

Hi everyone,

What's a gal to do?

Here is what I do. I wear my tri shorts. Have much less padding. Dries fast. As far as a bra goes, I cannot run without an underwire bra. So I wear my underwire sports bra and put it as tight as I can and wear it for the swim under my tri top or wetsuit. Usually, it dries quickly. No cotton in it. Go commando in your tri shorts! You wear your tri shorts for the whole race. Dry much faster but still enough padding. I hope this helps.
2007-06-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #846896

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

I've seen a few articles on BT about transition, but none address my 2 delicate questions!  ;-)

Looking forward to any insights you have!

Dana

2007-06-16 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
I can't say that I have to worry about that much...urrmmm...support...myself...but they are definitely out there...for the tops...they have sports-strength double fabric bras which should work fairly well (wish I had that problem to worry about)
This should help:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=28

The other one I can answer...I always wear tri-shorts during a triathlon, I even sometimes wear them during a swim training, because they cover more...they have some padding, but not so much that it feels like a diaper - really it is very comfortable...I like the Desoto ones, fit perfectly, and no seams in the shorts...I got my shorts online (if you look at my album you can see them - they are bright blue - but I want to get a pair in black also...they were around $50...but considering that I wear them every time I ride my bike, and during every race, and half the time when I swim also...and after a year, they are still going strong...
(I have also tried the TYR shorts, but they are incredibly uncomfortable to me, I got them first, but do not like them at all - they have this rubber grip around the leg, and they have seams in the shorts, so it rubs me the wrong way - if you know what I mean)
I got the low-rise:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=26997
But they have regular waist also:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=26982

Hope it helps...when is your first race?

Edited by tbctbc 2007-06-16 8:14 PM
2007-06-16 8:18 PM
in reply to: #847183

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

I was a hard core bike racer for a long time and can't imagine not wearing my bike shorts on a ride!  ;-)  Will check out the shorts links you provided...  Thanks!

My first race is the Suburu Women's Series in San Diego.  It sounded just right for me, women only, seems to support newbies, and is a fund raiser for ovarian cancer (I don't have any link to ovarian cancer, myself, but I figure it's a good thing to support).  And the distance is perfect for a newbie, probably an hour of racing:  it's a super sprint.  Oct 15.

Funny thing is that the day I decided to start TRI-ing and found that race, I found a 16 week supersprint training program!  I'm at the end of week four, and feeling great.  For added bonus, starting a 5 week boot camp on Monday at the crack of dawn.

I don't know what it is about this triathlon thing, but it's got me hooked!

2007-06-16 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hi Dana! Though I haven't done a tri yet, I too gave this lots of thought. I have a DDD so I hear your concerns! I found a racing suit that I use that has great support. It is Junonia.com and here is the link http://www.junonia.com/detail.htm?sid=379092&tl=1&ldid=2&sdid=9. Any good racing suit would do. I now run with mine under my running clothes as my "undergarments" and it holds the girls up quite nicely. I haven't been on the bike yet. So, that being said, my plan is to wear it under everything and just change my outer clothes.

Good Luck!
Joc
2007-06-16 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Girls only races are really nice for your first race...that sounds perfect...
I'm trying to convince a handful of people at school to race with me (it really is addictive), one woman has done 2 triathlons already...the others are all holding out, but 4 of them have promised to do a womens only tri at the end of October, for that very reason - they even let you have a noodle to swim with if needed
2007-06-16 9:40 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I did a girls only race, Tri for the Cure, to end my racing season this year and it was really fun and supportive. I saw people using all kinds of things to help through the swim--noodles, life jackets, kickboards, fins. It was a great experience and a race that I am looking forward to doing every year. You will have a great time!!
2007-06-16 9:42 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I wear Zoot tri shorts and I really like them, but they don't seem to hold up well. I have already had to buy another pair after one race season.
2007-06-18 11:25 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

What the HECK do you do in TRANSITION?  
The 4th Sport of Triathlon

Clothing
First of all, you wear the SAME stuff through the whole race.  (Unless you are doing 1/2 IM and up and then (usually) there is a changing tent where you can change your clothes.)

Recommended:  A tri-top/tri-shorts combo OR a tri-suit.  The main thing about both of these is that they are made out of quick drying material so that you don't spend the entire bike leg soaking wet AND they have a quick-drying pad so you have some amount of padding for the bike.  BUT it's minimal padding so you don't feel like you are waddling around on the run.  Generally anything up to 1/2 IM distance should be fine with this option.  Only when you get up to 50+ miles on the bike is there really a decision on whether or not to switch to bike shorts in T1.

Not Recommended: (please learn from my mistakes) A sports bra/swim suit then pull on bike shorts for the bike and change to run shorts for the run.  BAD idea.  First of all, a regular swim suit was NOT meant to ride in which meant I had really bad chafing where the suit met my inner leg.  Serious OUCH.  Also, switching out clothing slowed down my transition immensely.  (i.e. I would NOT recommend wearing that Junonia suit.  Although fine for the pool, wearing that for a triathlon is not going to be pleasant.)  Also NO COTTON!  It will NOT dry out and WILL chafe!

What I wear:  Ok, I hate to say this, but I am too fat to wear any tri-short/tri-top combo that I've seen out there.  So.  I wear Danskin 1x Supplex shorts and a wicking top I found that fits me well and has  a zippered pocket in the back.  The shorts do not have padding at all but for an Oly distance (40k/24.85) miles I don't find this too annoying.  Race day adrenaline is awesome.  Plus I really do have a lot of hmmm... "natural padding" anyway.  Now, if my butt was bony this wouldn't be a good option.  However, I figure by the time I need to worry about it I'll be able to buy a Really Cool Tri Race outfit.

Sports Bras:  If you have any kind of cleavage (D cup or more) a regular sports bra will NOT work for you.  (I mean the kind that you just pull on that doesn't fasten like a regular bra.) I use a Champion sports bra for my races.  It's underwire, things don't move around, it's wicking and it's comfortable.  Basically, find a bra that does not chafe when wet, is made out of wicking fabric, and gives you the support you need.  Places to look online, Junonia, Title9Sports, any sporting goods/running store.  Running stores will generally have the more intense bras so that's a good place to start shopping.  I've heard good things about the Enell sports bra but I don't need quite that much support.

Transition Setup
I actually took a pic for you guys of my setup my last race so you can see how I do it.  That's my bike wheel to the left.  The only thing I should have done differently is to move my stuff a little further back so I could have stood on the towel to put it on. (Don't forget your towel.)

Transition setup

Hand towel to the right for wiping off feet (or whatever.) Water bottle behind that for a quick swig or to rinse off feet.

I stack my stuff so there are two stacks.  The stack in front is my bike stuff.  Top to bottom: Sunglasses (not in pic), helmet, gloves, shoes.  The stack in the back is my run stuff.  Top to bottom: Hat, race belt with race number, socks rolled up in shoes, shoes.  (There are also a couple of open gels in the shoes for me to slam down when I get to that part of the stack)

I don't wear socks on the bike - my feet are wet and it's just too hard.  I MUST have socks for the run.  Some people put their helmets on their bikes, do whatever works best for you.  This is basically setup so I don't have to THINK.  I just have to put everything on IN ORDER in the stack and go.

Transition Process
Getting Ready:  Get there early enough to get everything the way you want it.  Get your wetsuit on, get warmed up, whatever you need to do.  I put a lot of Bodyglide on wherever there might be chafing (under the bra straps, etc.)  Use the Bodyglide.  It's awesome stuff.

Swim:  Out of the swim, start taking off your wetsuit in the water.  I do not have a wetsuit right now, but I've heard that it's a lot easier to get it off at least 1/2 way while you are still wading out.

T1:  Get wetsuit off all the way, put on bike stuff, go. 

Bike: Don't forget to eat/drink on the bike.

T2:  Take off bike stuff, put on run stuff, go.

Run: Don't forget to carry water if you need it.  (I do - I need the extra liquid.)

Things that are Really Really Nice to have:
Bodyglide.  Rub it everywhere you think you might need it.  Especially if you have a wetsuit.  Put it on the back of your neck for sure - nothing like a big wetsuit burn on the back of your neck.

Extra water bottle.  Trust me, you'll find something to do with it.

Clothes to change into after the race.  Self-explanatory.

Race Belt:  This little item is almost a must have.  You don't have to pin on the number and then have to fight to get your top on in T1 (yeah, that was my FIRST year) you just grab the belt (to which you have already attached your number), click it on in T2 and go.

So, that's it.  Post away if you've got any questions... or just post away anyway!

2007-06-19 3:08 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

So, I see that my post on transition struck you all dumb.

How's it going this week?

For me, I'm still working on the weight loss thing (hit a new low this week, yeah)

and I have planned:

3x swim, 2x bike, 3x run for a total of 6000 yards, 60 miles, 10 miles.  We'll see if I make it or not...

Big A race (1/2 IM) is coming up in Aug and I gotta get ready for it.

2007-06-19 9:38 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I really liked your post on transitions. I do the same as you and pile things in the order I am going to put them on. That way I don't have to think. I like the idea of having the gel already opened. Had not thought of that one. Good to put in shoes so can't forget. I forgot to take mine on the run during my last tri and I was sorry.

Anyways, most of you know that I have been in a slump lately. I think I figured out what it is. I don't think it has to do with training at all. I think it has to do with work. Work has been extremely stressful and I have been sleeping a lot to avoid the stress. I have not wanted to get up in the morning for that reason. So, I have missed a lot of workouts.

So I am starting to get back on track. Did a 30 mile ride on Sunday and swam today. Have a brick planned tomorrow and an open water swim on Friday. Thursday, I have a bike planned. Saturday is a run.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Half
2007-06-19 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Things here are going well. I did a great job training over the weekend, but dropped the ball yesterday and today. I did have a great OW swim this weekend which makes me believe that I should be fine by race time. My time was pretty decent, as well, which was nice.

Thanks for the information on transitions. I do need to figure out my clothes before September. I had figured a racing suit under would be fine, and was for swimming and running, but I haven't tried the bike with it! I'll give it a shot this week!
2007-06-20 10:12 PM

User image

Birmingham, MI
I finally completed my race report from Saturday. I felt good about my first race. Hey, I placed in my AG.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cadreamer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9