BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-05-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #810702

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Subject: RE: KSH's Group- FULL
Karen - I love your enthusiasm. It is contageous and I promise you all that I am here through August.

Mike - welcome aboard. As a guy who could not swim two years ago, all I can say is don't be intimidated by the pool/swim. Just get in the pool. If you know how to swim, just get in and start putting in some laps. If you are not a great swimmer, take a lesson, get a book (I learned by reading Total Immersion and being very diligent about practicing the right technique) or grab a friend who can help you out. But as with everything, once you start doing it, you will realize there was never any reason to be intimidated. In fact, when you start swimming, you may even shed a few more pounds since it will be a new stress to your body.

Danny

2007-05-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #816080

New user

Subject: RE: KSH's Group- OPEN
It sounds like you are at possibly your ideal weight.

I doubt that as I still carry alot of belly fat!! It would probably help if I paid more attention to my diet. I also seem to be ravishing hungry after I workout.

You have a bike... what kind? Is it a road bike or a tri bike?

Nothing special - just a road bike, a Trek 1000. It was like pulling teeth to get the boss to allow me to spend that much. I still need to buy clipless pedals and shoes, hopefully I can convince her with the next month - month and half. One of the guys from the runner's club told me he had some Look pedals he would give me, so maybe all I need is shoes.

So, you haven't done a tri yet, but your first one is for August 18, 2007? You have the running and biking down, but you haven't gotten in the pool yet (did I read that right?).

Well, I have been in the pool - if my memory serves me right twice maybe three times but it's probably been 2-3 months since the last time. I figured by signing up here it would motivate me to get back in. Last night when I first started running I was with 9-9:15 pace group as it was the 3 of them and me running, well they were talking about the BQ runner and how he always wins the local Tri since he is so strong on the run and how he uses every stroke on the swim and walks in the shallow areas. I don't want to do that. This is something I want to get into and travel to the DFW to somewhat "compete". How hard can I push myself? Enough with that rambling, the few times I have in the pool I struggle with my breathing and then I don't want to put my head in the water. So my head is above the water and I am dragging the rest of my body along and I fatigue quickly!!! I do well to swim to the other side of the pool 25 yards, turn around about 1/3 of the way back I switch to side stroke so I can make it back. I must build endurance!!!

And you are signed up for HnH? I tentatively have that on my race calendar, but I don't know if I'll go. The whole hotel situation is such a hassle, and I'm not too keen on driving 2+ hours, riding 100 miles and then driving 2+ hours home.

Yes, I have signed up for the HHH. I live within twenty miles of Wichita Falls so I won't have a hotel hassle. I hear people stake out the start line early in the morning - I think this year they are going to try to wave people by estimated finish time to relieve the congestation at the start, but you are still looking at leaving at 3-3:30 in the morning - does not sound like fun!!! I did that for my first half marathon in Dallas. Practically killed myself in the humidity and then drove home!! My spouse tells me it's not so much about the expense of entering an event, it's the gas, lodging, etc that really hits you.
2007-05-25 5:39 PM
in reply to: #816755

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-05-25 9:18 AM

Karen - I love your enthusiasm. It is contageous and I promise you all that I am here through August.

Mike - welcome aboard. As a guy who could not swim two years ago, all I can say is don't be intimidated by the pool/swim. Just get in the pool. If you know how to swim, just get in and start putting in some laps. If you are not a great swimmer, take a lesson, get a book (I learned by reading Total Immersion and being very diligent about practicing the right technique) or grab a friend who can help you out. But as with everything, once you start doing it, you will realize there was never any reason to be intimidated. In fact, when you start swimming, you may even shed a few more pounds since it will be a new stress to your body.

Danny

Well, thank you very much Danny.

Great advice for Mike!

2007-05-25 5:55 PM
in reply to: #816859

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I doubt that as I still carry alot of belly fat!! It would probably help if I paid more attention to my diet. I also seem to be ravishing hungry after I workout.

Well, diet does play a huge part.

I looked at your logs to see how much you are running, and you are running a lot... so running more probably won't help. Although, you probably don't run in a fat burning zone... so running for you may not burn as much fat off. I know for me, I run so slow, I burn fat when I run.

Nothing special - just a road bike, a Trek 1000. It was like pulling teeth to get the boss to allow me to spend that much. I still need to buy clipless pedals and shoes, hopefully I can convince her with the next month - month and half. One of the guys from the runner's club told me he had some Look pedals he would give me, so maybe all I need is shoes.

Hey, that's a great bike! In fact, that was my first bike, and I rode it for 2 years and 4,000 miles... and I rode it until January 2007! HA!

You should take your friend up on those pedals and go find some shoes on sale. It will make a considerable difference in your cycling.

Well, I have been in the pool - if my memory serves me right twice maybe three times but it's probably been 2-3 months since the last time. I figured by signing up here it would motivate me to get back in. Last night when I first started running I was with 9-9:15 pace group as it was the 3 of them and me running, well they were talking about the BQ runner and how he always wins the local Tri since he is so strong on the run and how he uses every stroke on the swim and walks in the shallow areas. I don't want to do that. This is something I want to get into and travel to the DFW to somewhat "compete". How hard can I push myself? Enough with that rambling, the few times I have in the pool I struggle with my breathing and then I don't want to put my head in the water. So my head is above the water and I am dragging the rest of my body along and I fatigue quickly!!! I do well to swim to the other side of the pool 25 yards, turn around about 1/3 of the way back I switch to side stroke so I can make it back. I must build endurance!!!

Well, it sounds like you need to get in the pool, sooner than later. I know a lot of people swear by the Total Immersion book and video. It's a great way to learn how to become comfortable in the water. My boyfriend went from flailing in the water... to being able to swim in a tri with it. Might want to check it out.

Hey... I live in DFW! So, if you ever make it here to compete, I'll get to cheer you on! You know, the Dallas Athletes have been doing a lot of tri's up in Denton. That might not be too far of a drive for you, and thus money is saved because you don't have to stay in a hotel.

Yes, I have signed up for the HHH. I live within twenty miles of Wichita Falls so I won't have a hotel hassle. I hear people stake out the start line early in the morning - I think this year they are going to try to wave people by estimated finish time to relieve the congestation at the start, but you are still looking at leaving at 3-3:30 in the morning - does not sound like fun!!! I did that for my first half marathon in Dallas. Practically killed myself in the humidity and then drove home!! My spouse tells me it's not so much about the expense of entering an event, it's the gas, lodging, etc that really hits you.

Yea, the start last year was not good for us. We had a ride plan that got us to Hell's Gate in time, assuming we started at 7:00 AM. Our wheels weren't rolling until 8:00 AM. We had to go the 75 mile route. Oh well.

That new start sounds, interesting. Personally, I would NOT want to start riding at 3:00-4:00 AM. Just sounds dark and dangerous.

I have to agree with the spouse... this is an expensive hobby. The gear, the travel, paying for the events, etc. I rarely travel out of town to compete. I am going to Austin, but since my boyfriend competes and his parents live there, we skip the hotel expense.

Edited by KSH 2007-05-25 5:55 PM
2007-05-25 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
THIS WEEKEND!

Hello everyone!

A quick heads up, Robin and I are competing in CapTex in Austin, TX on 5-28-07. We are both doing the Olympic distance.

It will be my first one of this distance. If you read my training log for the past week you can view my nutrition plan, and my time predictions.

As for Robin (please correct me if I'm wrong), this will be her 2nd attempt, except this time she will finish! Hey... with rain in the forecast... I'm sure being dehydrated won't be an issue . You will do great Robin!

With that said, I am leaving for Austin tomorrow (5-26) and I won't be back until 5-29. I doubt I will get on the computer much, if at all. So please don't think I have forgotten about you... I will be back!

Have a great holiday and weekend everyone! And please send Robin and myself good weather vibes (I hate riding in the rain- my only bike wreck was in the rain).
2007-05-25 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Actually, I did the CapTex last year and completed it. It was three years ago when I tried the olympic distance and had to pull out. I'm looking to improve my time. I'm very optimistic if the weather doesn't mess things up. I'm excited!

2007-05-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: #817901

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rjbostick - 2007-05-25 10:19 PM

Actually, I did the CapTex last year and completed it. It was three years ago when I tried the olympic distance and had to pull out. I'm looking to improve my time. I'm very optimistic if the weather doesn't mess things up. I'm excited!

Ah, sorry for the confusion.

BTW everyone... I am 34... NOT 24. OOOPSSS! I fixed my original post.
2007-05-28 7:19 PM
in reply to: #818035

User image

Veteran
What about coming back after an unplanned, longer than normal break?

I left town unexpectedly Friday afternoon (after the OWS!) and just got back. I didn't have time/room to accommodate a run/swim while I was traveling.

Should I just go business as usual tomorrow morning?
2007-05-29 1:18 AM
in reply to: #819580

User image

Veteran

GrantGannon - 2007-05-28 8:19 PM What about coming back after an unplanned, longer than normal break? I left town unexpectedly Friday afternoon (after the OWS!) and just got back. I didn't have time/room to accommodate a run/swim while I was traveling. Should I just go business as usual tomorrow morning?

I'd just pick up with your usual routine. From your decription of your training, you don't have key workouts (aka, long runs, bikes) that you missed. You're far enough out from your target race that you are building a base right now, so no need to try to chase missed activites.

2007-05-29 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello everyone! Hope you had a great weekend. Mine was good... and bad. Feel free to read my training log for more details.

Grant, carry on with training as usual, you will be fine.

Otherwise, Robin and I were both a DNS for the CapTex tri. It got rained out. Total bummer. There were good and bad points to it getting rained out... but alas training goes on. Can't let one cancelled race get the best of me.

2007-05-29 7:53 PM
in reply to: #817733

New user

Yea, the start last year was not good for us. We had a ride plan that got us to Hell's Gate in time, assuming we started at 7:00 AM. Our wheels weren't rolling until 8:00 AM. We had to go the 75 mile route. Oh well.

That new start sounds, interesting. Personally, I would NOT want to start riding at 3:00-4:00 AM. Just sounds dark and dangerous.

That isn't exactly what I meant by waves. I believe they still plan on having the mass start at 7 am but they are actually going to try to have the 100 milers at front of the start based on estimated time of finish. They also asked the city to remove the concrete islands that were in the middle of the road near the start so there won't be a bottleneck as everyone is trying to squeeze into two lanes of traffic.

I read your race report about the hotel issue, unfortunately I think most of the hotels require a two night stay and then also jack up their prices on top of it. Doesn't leave Wichita Falls in a very good light if you ask me.

I am the coordinator for my company's rest stop. We are about 40 miles out - rest stop 4. I still have those duties but someone else will handle Saturday operations so I can attempt to ride the 100 miles. HHH supplies us with oranges, bananas, pickles, powerade mix, and water. Everything else is supplied by rest stop sponsor. We bought saltines and fig newtons to supplement to provide some nourishment. You mentioned the food issue so I thought I would ask for your input on what else we could supply - we are always trying to find ways to improve our service.

2007-05-30 9:16 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Karen/Robin -

I am pretty sure you are not a DNS if the race itself never occurs. That is a drag that you went through all the motions but never got to race. But it is probably better this way. You don't want your first Olympic to be changed to a duathlon, nor do you want it to be held in the pouring rain on wet roads.

There are T-storms predicted this weekend for my first tri and I must admit, I am nervous about wet roads. I have never ridden on wet roads and there is apparently a long downhill with a hairpin turn at the end. Gulp...

Anyway, sounds like you still had a nice weekend. Glad to see that.
2007-05-30 9:18 AM
in reply to: #821907

User image

Veteran
My trainer was supposed to race at CapTex too...she was none to pleased about the cancellation.

I'd be hacked off as well.
2007-05-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: #821407

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rueschmike - 2007-05-29 7:53 PM

That isn't exactly what I meant by waves. I believe they still plan on having the mass start at 7 am but they are actually going to try to have the 100 milers at front of the start based on estimated time of finish. They also asked the city to remove the concrete islands that were in the middle of the road near the start so there won't be a bottleneck as everyone is trying to squeeze into two lanes of traffic.

I read your race report about the hotel issue, unfortunately I think most of the hotels require a two night stay and then also jack up their prices on top of it. Doesn't leave Wichita Falls in a very good light if you ask me.

I am the coordinator for my company's rest stop. We are about 40 miles out - rest stop 4. I still have those duties but someone else will handle Saturday operations so I can attempt to ride the 100 miles. HHH supplies us with oranges, bananas, pickles, powerade mix, and water. Everything else is supplied by rest stop sponsor. We bought saltines and fig newtons to supplement to provide some nourishment. You mentioned the food issue so I thought I would ask for your input on what else we could supply - we are always trying to find ways to improve our service.

Yea, the hotel situation was horrible. I gave them my contact information, they never told me about the 2 night stay minimum. Then, they told me I could only pay for one night, but for $50 more. Fine. When I tried to check out, they refused to uphold what they told me the day before and insisted on charging me for 2 nights. At that point, I lost it. I then picked up the phone and called the cops so I wouldn't completely go nuts on them. It was only at the point that I dailed 911 and got the info for the local police, that they finally decided to uphold their word. Yea, pretty miserable.

Food. Hhhhuuummmm... something with some substance to it. Gram crackers with PB on them. PB and Jelly sandwhichs. Maybe some sort of protein bar? Something with tons of carbs and that can fill a belly some.

Thanks for hosting the 40 mile rest stop!

Yea, it's looking more and more like I won't be making that ride again. The hotel situation really left a very sour taste in my mouth for that city.
2007-05-31 9:36 PM
in reply to: #822206

User image

Veteran
Stroke count?

Anybody here have any input on what is an efficient stroke count per 25m? I counted today and I do 17-18 strokes per 25m at my regular clip.
2007-05-31 10:19 PM
in reply to: #824963

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-05-31 9:36 PM

Stroke count?

Anybody here have any input on what is an efficient stroke count per 25m? I counted today and I do 17-18 strokes per 25m at my regular clip.

Well, that is about what I do. If I really focus on the glide portion of the stroke, I can get it down to 14 strokes per 25m. It's a good drill to do... try it next time you swim. Do 4-6 25's and each time try to subtract one stroke.

Although, most of the time I just swim and find a good long distance groove and go with that.

Edited by KSH 2007-05-31 10:20 PM

2007-06-01 3:01 AM
in reply to: #824963

User image

Veteran

GrantGannon - 2007-05-31 10:36 PM Stroke count? Anybody here have any input on what is an efficient stroke count per 25m? I counted today and I do 17-18 strokes per 25m at my regular clip.

Occasionally, I'll focus on stroke count in a workout. For a long set, it gives me a decent idea of fatigue as my stoke count increases as I get tired. For shorter sets, my form is better if I'm thinking about stoke efficiency.

An intresting set that I'll do on occation is something along the following:

4x50 free count stokes and record time

2x drill sets: 

25 - six kick drill

25 - free

25 - finger tip drag

25 - free

25 - closed fist drill

25 - free 

4x50 free count stokes and record time and compare 

2007-06-01 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey everyone!

Danny is competing in his FIRST TRI this weekend! *June 3*

Let's all take the time to wish him luck!

GOOD LUCK DANNY!

Let us know if you have any questions.
2007-06-01 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Good luck Danny! Have an awesome race! I know you'll do great!
2007-06-01 11:20 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks, all. I do have questions. Some seem silly, but of course need to be asked.

1. I assume I am wearing my shirt under my wetsuit, but can I pin my number on it before the swim? Why do you need a number anyway when it is written all over your body?!!

2. What are the rules of when you are supposed to mount/dismount the bike? Will that be clear when I get to the race?

3. Seriously - if someone passes me on the bike, am I supposed to slow down to fall out of their draft zone? That seems so unfair!

4. Sox or no sox? (I am a Red Sox fan, hence the spelling)

I am sure I have other questions, but just can't think of them. So I ask this... any good advice you want to suggest?

Edited by DannyCapp 2007-06-01 11:46 AM
2007-06-01 1:25 PM
in reply to: #825655

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-06-01 11:20 AM

Thanks, all. I do have questions. Some seem silly, but of course need to be asked.

1. I assume I am wearing my shirt under my wetsuit, but can I pin my number on it before the swim? Why do you need a number anyway when it is written all over your body?!!

2. What are the rules of when you are supposed to mount/dismount the bike? Will that be clear when I get to the race?

3. Seriously - if someone passes me on the bike, am I supposed to slow down to fall out of their draft zone? That seems so unfair!

4. Sox or no sox? (I am a Red Sox fan, hence the spelling)

I am sure I have other questions, but just can't think of them. So I ask this... any good advice you want to suggest?

1. What kind of shirt? Is it a fast drying one or something of the sort? If not, why not think about putting a shirt on in transition. Use body glide around your neck so the wetsuit doesn't chafe you there. Your race number... and you have a good point... but your race number is best put on a race belt. Most people don't put on their numbers via the race belt until the run.

2. They will show you the mount and dismount line. And, people will be there yelling at ya.

3. Yes, you should slow down. I did when I first started racing. I don't anymore. I know "bad girl"... but if they are going to pass me, they are going to work for it, plain and simple. *evil grin*

4. In T1 I typically have a small hand towel and clean off my feet and put on my cycling shoes, no socks. This is where all the water from your body drains into your shoes. I like dry socks. So, I put socks on in T2 for the run. It has been working out great. I have tender feet and I never get blisters from cycling without socks.

Some other stuff:

In a sprint you don't need a lot of nutrition, if any. In fact, I never take any in for a sprint. I drink some water on the ride and a little on the run. My boyfriend ate a whole bag of shot blocks in a sprint once, on the bike... and felt it on the run. Wasn't a good idea.

Take your wetsuit off immediately after exiting the water. Make sure you move to the side, but take it off. Don't run to T1 and take it off there. Why? When you get out, there is a layer of water between yourself and the wetsuit, this will help you get the wetsuit off quickly and easily. If you run all the way to T1, you will not have that to help you and will struggle getting the wetsuit off.

What kind of bottoms are you wearing? Tri shorts? Or something else?

Otherwise... you sound ready to go race!

2007-06-01 2:19 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks - I have not heard about taking the wetsuit off right away. Sounds like a plan.

I am wearing a tri top and shorts. Both are made from a space age polymer, so they should dry quickly. I have heard it is impossible to put a shirt on when you are wet, so I should wear it on the swim. I have read that in several places, so I assume there is some truth to it.

I suppose I can invest in a tri belt. I hate the idea of spending money on something so insignificant. This sport bleeds you dry.

Oh - and I remembered my big question...

For a running race, I usually run a few miles and do some strides to warm up. How does one warm up for a tri? Do I just swim a bit?

Thanks.
2007-06-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #826054

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-06-01 2:19 PM

Thanks - I have not heard about taking the wetsuit off right away. Sounds like a plan.

I am wearing a tri top and shorts. Both are made from a space age polymer, so they should dry quickly. I have heard it is impossible to put a shirt on when you are wet, so I should wear it on the swim. I have read that in several places, so I assume there is some truth to it.

I suppose I can invest in a tri belt. I hate the idea of spending money on something so insignificant. This sport bleeds you dry.

Oh - and I remembered my big question...

For a running race, I usually run a few miles and do some strides to warm up. How does one warm up for a tri? Do I just swim a bit?

Thanks.

Tri suit. Perfect. You won't have any issues, and you have a solid plan in place.

Well, you don't have to get a tri belt... but I honestly can't imagine those safety pins digging into my chest while swimming. The wetsuit will be squeezed against you. But, maybe it won't bug you. I also wonder how well the race number will hold up after going through the swim... but it might.

A race belt is pretty cheap, compared to everything else. Buy one and it lasts for years.

Warm up. Everyone is different and finds their own routine. For me, I get in and swim if I can. I typically don't get warmed up swimming until a good 300-400 yards... so if I can get in and swim, that's good.

Some people run around, stretch, etc. Honestly, I kind of wonder how useful any warm up is when you have to wait so long to actually get going after the warm up.
2007-06-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: #826073

User image

Veteran
This is good stuff. So from my understanding you get a race belt, pin your number to it and then clip that on before you jump on the bike?
2007-06-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: #826112

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-06-01 2:47 PM

This is good stuff. So from my understanding you get a race belt, pin your number to it and then clip that on before you jump on the bike?

Well, typically it's only madatory for the run... so I don't put it on till then. Too annoying to wear the whole time.

Hey... there is this really cool Training Log you should all check out when you have a chance: GeezerJock. I'm a lurker on his Training Log. He's about to do some 5 day cycling tour/race. He also did the RAAM before. Interesting reading let me tell you. He will also make you feel lazy... he puts in some serious miles!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 6