of 6

2007-05-21 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: KSH's Group- FULL
NAME:KSH/Karen

STORY:
Back in 2004, I decided that I was tired of being a gym rat, and I wanted to do something else. So, I thought, "why not do a triathlon?" An idea was born, and off I ran with it. It has been truly amazing! Now days, instead of working out being a chore, it's a joy. I have also found great joy in cycling. If I ever move away from triathlons, I am certain cycling will take up most of my time.

FAMILY STATUS:
~34 years old
~Divorced
~Have had the same boyfriend for 3 years
~No kids
~No dog (unfortunately, I wasn't home enough to care for the dog!).

CURRENT TRAINING:
Well, I use to do just do what I felt like doing. Yea, I was completely against structure. I didn't want training for tri's to be a chore, a job, so I kept it casual. Well, that was until January of this year. As I have set my sights on longer races, I knew I had to get some structure going. So, I hired an online coach. It has been a great thing for me. I am more focused now. I am certainly more ready and trained that I use to be.

I am a really good swimmer, since I was a competitive swimmer in High School. My cycling is pretty decent and I am working hard to get my average up. As for the running, you can read more about that below. I am a 10-12 minute mile runner, and I am lucky to do being that.

Otherwise, you really need to know that I'm not a techy-geek. Meaning: I can't discuss all the parts of a bike, I don't use a HR monitor (and I am even resisting it), and I can't get into detailed discussions about nutritional nuances. I'm a pretty simply gal. So, if you like simple, then you will like me.

2005 & 2006 RACES:
Well, I should start with 2005 here. 2005 was my first year to race. I did a duathlon, and 2 triathlons. I didn't want to stress myself out with races, and figured if I did too much too soon, I would grow bored of the sport. I also tried to train for a 1/2 marathon at the end of the year. I got an unexplained injury and stopped running for a good 3 months.

Then I joined a Tri 101 program in February 2006. My running injury popped up again. I struggled to run, but I was completely miserable. I completed a sprint in April 2006.

Then in May 2006, I got a running coach. He basically grounded me from running for the next 3-4 months. I didn't compete in a sprint tri again until September 2006. I did take that time to focus on my cycling though.

2007 RACES:
Now in 2007, I am back! Well, my running is better, even if it is still painful at times. So, in 2007 I have completed 1 duathlon, 1 sprint tri, and I am scheduled to do 1 Olympic distance, 2 more sprints and 1 Half Ironman.

May 28, 2007
CapTex Olympic, www.captextri.com
1.5K/40K/10K
MONEY PAID!

June 10, 2007
Metroplex Sprint Tri
www.ironheadrp.com
800M swim/27K bike/5K run
MONEY PAID!

July 22, 2007
IronGirl Sprint, www.irongirl.com
500M swim/20K bike/5K run

August 26, 2007 ? on date
Hotter-N-Hell
*Not sure if I'll go or not.*

September 16, 2007
TexasMan Olympic, www.dallasathletes.com
? distances ?

October 7, 2007
Longhorn Half Ironan
I AM DOING THIS ONE!

WEIGHTLOSS Well, I have been fortunate that with all the training I am doing these days, keeping the weight off hasn't been a struggle. I use to have to keep a detailed record of calories in/out. Not anymore!

WHAT WILL YOU GET FOR JOINING MY MENTOR GROUP?

Well, I want you to know that my goal for being a mentor and having a mentor group is to get some like minded people together, who will encourage, challenge and inspire one another. I also look forward to encouraging someone who is working towards the goal of completing a triathlon, and hearing all about their accomplishment(s).

I'm a normal gal, who enjoys training, and just doing this sport. I probably will never win my age group, unless I can run an 8 minute mile. But for me, that is OK. I just love being apart of this community and training. Maybe you just read that and thought, "Hey, that's like me!". If so, then this is the mentor group for you.

You will have questions, and I probably won't have all the answers. I encouarge everyone in my mentor group to chime in and pass along any experience you may have. I am sure at some point, each one of us will be an expert on one topic or another. If none of us can answer a question, no worries, I will defer to another resource. My goal will be to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I will keep tabs on your daily training logs, and encourage every person stay focused your goals. Even if your goal is to run 5 miles a week, then so be it.

Hopefully, we can also come up with some challenges for the group as well, to encourage training.

I would also hope that everyone would be apart of this experience and contribute as much as possible. Our goal here is to stay focused, to accomplish our goals and to help everyone in our group do the same. It will also be a great way to make new friends here on BT and to stay motivated!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by KSH 2007-05-26 9:10 AM

2007-05-22 5:58 PM
in reply to: #810702

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: KSH's Group- OPEN

Here's my CV to join your group.

Name: Episcopit/Laura

Story:

I have a background in competitive swimming and recreational marathon running. These are both far enough in the past that I know better than to try to compete with my younger, less broken down self. I took a few years off from everything and focused on school and family time, then started becoming active a little over a year ago.

I started training for marathons again, then heard about Tri's from a Doc in my Reserve unit. Upon hearing the distances of a Sprint and Oly tri, I decided I could do that. He graciously offered to guide me though my first Tri. However, I didn't get to take him up on that because I came down on orders for Active Duty and my planned season went all pear shaped. So, I've revamped my calendar and am continuing to train.

Family:

Single
No children
No pets

Current Training:

After spending a few months of trying to fit pre-published training plans into my life of 12 hour shifts and deciding that just doing what I felt like wasn't going to work very well, I hired an online coach to deal with crafting a training schedule around my work schedule. It is working well to give my training more structure and me more focus.

I swim with a Master's program 1-2 times a week. I run with Hash House Harriers on occasion. And I bike with the local Tri club some weekends. Most of my training is on my own since scheduling anything regularly with other people is a challenge.

I'm very tech geeky and buy new training gadgets often. This is mainly for my amusement as I'm not to a level where the detailed analysis is necessary, but they make me smile. I use them as I feel inclined - even though my coach really wants me to use the HR monitor most of the time. I do this for fun and the data can get in the way of that sometimes.

My best run this year was unplanned after eating at a Chinese buffet for lunch, so nutrition isn't really my thing either.

Races:

• 8 July - Sprint - Philadelphia Women's Triathlon
  • 26 Aug - Olympic - North East Triathlon
  • 16 Sept - 1/2 Marathon - Philadelphia Distance Run
  • 29 - Sept - Olympic - The Nation's Triathlon
  • 7 Oct - Army 10-Miler
  • 28 Oct - Marine Corp Marathon

Goals:

• Complete all scheduled races
  • Grow into my bike (I bought a Cervelo P2C). I ride like I'm touring if I'm on bike paths or roads
  • Improve core strength
  • Enjoy the sport and community around it
2007-05-22 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello Laura! Welcome to the group!

Thanks for your bio and details.

So, let's see... you are a strong swimmer and runner. Terrific! Still coming along on the bike? I haven't checked out your Logs just yet, but I will. Your bike is a Cervelo? NICE! My tri bike is a Cervelo One, and I have a Specialized Tarmac for my roadie.

You are in the military? If so, what branch? Are you going to go back into active duty anytime soon?

If I read correctly, you have NOT done a tri as of yet, but your first race is in June (June 8th? - I should have quoted you). Very exciting stuff!

You have an online coach as well. Who is it? Do you think having a coach has helped you out a lot? I know for me, getting a coach has made me more accountable (even though he doesn't harrass me for missing workouts) and focused with my training.

Ah, you are a techy-geek. Cool! So, you will be our expert on toys and gadgets and I will learn all about them. Shoot, you might even convince me to get a HR monitor... someday.

Well, welcome!

I am very excited as I hope you are too.

2007-05-22 11:32 PM
in reply to: #812829

User image

Veteran

I'm currently Active Duty Army, Nurse Corp, stationed at Walter Reed. At this point, it's safe to say I'm here as a careerist since I'll have 11 years in after my tour here is finished.

My first race is scheduled for 8 July. As it's a sprint, I'm mainly using it to focus on transitions.

I work with Amy from D3. She's also great about not harassing me for missing workouts and has been great to keep me focused though moving, changing jobs, and other chaos.

I like bikes and have a few. Currently I have a Jamis Sport (hybrid) that I spend the most time on as it's my commuter and knock about town bike. I commute by bike to work most of the time. I make exceptions for short days where it's not worth the hassle of showering once I arrive. I'm often on my bike on my days off to get around. It's easier than dealing with parking. I have a Lemond Zurich (road) that I bought when I couldn't mountain bike. It then sat for a few years when I could hit the trails again. I've done most of my training on it up to this point. Last week, I bought the Cervelo P2C, so I've only been out on it a couple of times. Come winter, I may regret not having a mountain bike, so I'm looking to possibly add one of those to the stable.

2007-05-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #812902

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Episcopit - 2007-05-22 11:32 PM

I'm currently Active Duty Army, Nurse Corp, stationed at Walter Reed. At this point, it's safe to say I'm here as a careerist since I'll have 11 years in after my tour here is finished.

My first race is scheduled for 8 July. As it's a sprint, I'm mainly using it to focus on transitions.

I work with Amy from D3. She's also great about not harassing me for missing workouts and has been great to keep me focused though moving, changing jobs, and other chaos.

I like bikes and have a few. Currently I have a Jamis Sport (hybrid) that I spend the most time on as it's my commuter and knock about town bike. I commute by bike to work most of the time. I make exceptions for short days where it's not worth the hassle of showering once I arrive. I'm often on my bike on my days off to get around. It's easier than dealing with parking. I have a Lemond Zurich (road) that I bought when I couldn't mountain bike. It then sat for a few years when I could hit the trails again. I've done most of my training on it up to this point. Last week, I bought the Cervelo P2C, so I've only been out on it a couple of times. Come winter, I may regret not having a mountain bike, so I'm looking to possibly add one of those to the stable.

Oh, a Nurse in the Army? Very cool. Thank you for the job you do!

July 8th is your first race? Got it. Looking at your training logs, you are going to do a great job.

A few bikes? WOW.

So, are you going to make time for your P2C so you can start training for your race? I know for me, I have to make sure I get one day a week in on my tri bike. Otherwise, I would be on my roadie all the time. It really is different in aero position and getting your neck and back use to it.

Well, keep up the great training effort!
2007-05-23 9:32 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I would love to join up with this group. I like the laid back, but dedicated approach to training you seem to use. My background...

I am a 36 year old male. I ran track in high school, but took my college years and 20's off. At 29, I started running again and became pretty competitive. I still train and run competitively and my log will show a very heavy skew towards that.

In the past few years I have suffered chronic tendonitis in my knees and was forced to take a few months off here and there. While sidelined from running, I taught myself to swim (read the TI book). Now, after a long struggle to learn it, I am able to swim - not fast, but well enough to decide to attempt a couple of tri's.

My bike is, well, let's say not there yet. I have a road bike and as long as I spend time on it, I can ride reasonably well. But I have just started riding again, so I have a ways to go there.

My first tri is a sprint on June 3rd - soon! However, I am going into this race with a very casual attitude. I am trying not to get all worked up about it. I just want to get in the water, get used to the start, learn how to transition, etc. It is just for the experience.

I also have a sprint tri scheduled for August 26th, and that one I would like to do well.

I won't go into my races for running as they will be scattered throughout. No issue with weight in the least - as a runner, I am very skinny. I am not married, but have a girlfriend who also runs (and bikes a little). I am certainly not concerned about diet as I love buffalo wings and beer, but believe all things in moderation is fine.

Basically, I just want a group that will help motivate me, discuss any questions with me, give me a kick in the pants on occasion and have fun with.

So what do you say...?

Danny

2007-05-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: #813254

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-05-23 9:32 AM

I would love to join up with this group. I like the laid back, but dedicated approach to training you seem to use. My background...

I am a 36 year old male. I ran track in high school, but took my college years and 20's off. At 29, I started running again and became pretty competitive. I still train and run competitively and my log will show a very heavy skew towards that.

In the past few years I have suffered chronic tendonitis in my knees and was forced to take a few months off here and there. While sidelined from running, I taught myself to swim (read the TI book). Now, after a long struggle to learn it, I am able to swim - not fast, but well enough to decide to attempt a couple of tri's.

My bike is, well, let's say not there yet. I have a road bike and as long as I spend time on it, I can ride reasonably well. But I have just started riding again, so I have a ways to go there.

My first tri is a sprint on June 3rd - soon! However, I am going into this race with a very casual attitude. I am trying not to get all worked up about it. I just want to get in the water, get used to the start, learn how to transition, etc. It is just for the experience.

I also have a sprint tri scheduled for August 26th, and that one I would like to do well.

I won't go into my races for running as they will be scattered throughout. No issue with weight in the least - as a runner, I am very skinny. I am not married, but have a girlfriend who also runs (and bikes a little). I am certainly not concerned about diet as I love buffalo wings and beer, but believe all things in moderation is fine.

Basically, I just want a group that will help motivate me, discuss any questions with me, give me a kick in the pants on occasion and have fun with.

So what do you say...?

Danny

Hello and welcome Danny!

I like your attitude and approach towards training and doing tri's too!

You were a runner? *Jealous Look* I really respect and admire anyone who can run fast. I am sure you will be a wealth of knowledge for our group, since you come from a competitive background.

You taught yourself to swim? Good! My boyfriend did the same thing with the TI book and video. I tried to help him out, but I'm not a great teacher. I'm better at helping someone once they have the basics down.

Yea, I think TI is great to get you in the water and moving. Unfortunately, it seems as if it's not made for speed. Although, I have to say, if you can run fast, who cares if your swim isn't fast. I swim fast, but I can't run fast, so I go from 1st to 3rd in my AG down to almost last.

It's a good plan to go into your first tri with a casual attitude. Chalk it up as a learning experience. No stress. Just get out there and do it, and afterwards analyze what to do differently in the future.

Welcome to the group Danny! Please ask any questions that you want, we are here to help!

2007-05-23 10:32 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I am hppy to answer any running questions. And you can expect a number of questions from me. The first couple...

1. Am I supposed to change my log somehow so you/the group can read it?

2. What do the different colors mean on the calendar in the training log blog view?
2007-05-23 11:01 AM
in reply to: #813392

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-05-23 10:32 AM

I am hppy to answer any running questions. And you can expect a number of questions from me. The first couple...

1. Am I supposed to change my log somehow so you/the group can read it?

2. What do the different colors mean on the calendar in the training log blog view?

Thanks for answering any running questions that come up. I would ask some, but all hope is lost on me when it comes to running! Between my running injury and a side cramp I'm hopeless. I just plod along and I'm lucky to run anything below a 11 minute mile.

Answers:

1. We can read your Training Log. If you add us as "Friends", then you can easily click on our names and go view our logs and inspire us. If you check your inspires today (look at your training log/today- Inspire me. A number there means you have an inspire left for you. I left one for you giving instructions on how to add friends.

2. Different colors. Pink is when you logged training for that day. White means you didn't log anything. Yellow is when you only do a blog log, but no training (edit today's log> Overall comments for today- that is the "blog" feature). Green meansa you have a race. You can add upcoming races to your calendar. Go to Race Log (at the top of the screen)> Go to your race Log> Add Race. Then save it as a draft. That way, it will display on your training log and you will get a green square. After the race, you go update the draft and then make it public so it posts to the racing forum.

That was a lot! HUH? Once you get it all figured out, it's very easy.
2007-05-23 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
I'd love to join the group if you'll have me. Here's my info..

Name:rjbostick/Robin

Story: I'm 31 years old and married with 5 kids (ages 9,7,6,4,2). My husband and I just celebrated our 10th anniversay this month. I didn't play sports in high school or college. You'd usually find me in the art room at school. During college, I began running just for the exercise. I ran a few 5Ks and 10Ks. I'm orginally from Louisiana and moved to Austin seven years ago. After I had my third child in 2000, I decided to do the Danskin and had lots of fun and did two more sprints that year. I also trained for a half-marathon and marathon which I completed. I then had two more kids. In January of 2005, I decided to get myself back in shape and try and lose all of the baby weight I had gained. Last year, I trained for the half marathon and ended up getting strep throat the weekend of the race. Bummer! I ran a 10-mile race a few weeks later to make up for it. I continued running and completed the CapTex olympic triathlon last year.
I'm doing the CapTex tri again on Monday and am really excited as well as nervous.

Current training: I do it all on my own. I have a book that I've been following as well as looking at the BT plans. My most asked question is how do you train with five kids? Well, I just do. I get up early and I also have a great husband that supports my habit.

Races for 2007:
CapTex-next Monday
Pflugerville Sprint- end of June
Double X Rogue Series- September(olympic)
Longhorn HIM

Weightloss: After my fifth baby, I worked really hard with diet and exercise and was able to lose 50lbs over a year and a half. I'd still like to lose 10lbs but I'm not stressing about it. My weight has always been something I've dealt with but I'm now able to say I like how I look.

My goals is to do the half in October and possibly train for Ironman Florida in 2008.

Being that I train alone, it will be nice to have a group of friends to keep me motivated.
2007-05-23 3:45 PM
in reply to: #813917

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rjbostick - 2007-05-23 2:08 PM

I'd love to join the group if you'll have me. Here's my info..

Name:rjbostick/Robin

Story: I'm 31 years old and married with 5 kids (ages 9,7,6,4,2). My husband and I just celebrated our 10th anniversay this month. I didn't play sports in high school or college. You'd usually find me in the art room at school. During college, I began running just for the exercise. I ran a few 5Ks and 10Ks. I'm orginally from Louisiana and moved to Austin seven years ago. After I had my third child in 2000, I decided to do the Danskin and had lots of fun and did two more sprints that year. I also trained for a half-marathon and marathon which I completed. I then had two more kids. In January of 2005, I decided to get myself back in shape and try and lose all of the baby weight I had gained. Last year, I trained for the half marathon and ended up getting strep throat the weekend of the race. Bummer! I ran a 10-mile race a few weeks later to make up for it. I continued running and completed the CapTex olympic triathlon last year.
I'm doing the CapTex tri again on Monday and am really excited as well as nervous.

Current training: I do it all on my own. I have a book that I've been following as well as looking at the BT plans. My most asked question is how do you train with five kids? Well, I just do. I get up early and I also have a great husband that supports my habit.

Races for 2007:
CapTex-next Monday
Pflugerville Sprint- end of June
Double X Rogue Series- September(olympic)
Longhorn HIM

Weightloss: After my fifth baby, I worked really hard with diet and exercise and was able to lose 50lbs over a year and a half. I'd still like to lose 10lbs but I'm not stressing about it. My weight has always been something I've dealt with but I'm now able to say I like how I look.

My goals is to do the half in October and possibly train for Ironman Florida in 2008.

Being that I train alone, it will be nice to have a group of friends to keep me motivated.

Hello Robin! Welcome to the group!

Congratulations on the 5 kids and 10 years of marriage. That is something to be very proud of.

So, you did 3 tri's in 2000 and then in 2006 1 tri? Is that right? So in a sense, you are still a newbie. Although, you have done an Olympic, whereas I have not. Which reminds me, it would be nice if we can meet at CapTex. Are you going to the dinner at the BTers house the night before? With your family though, it's understandable if you can't make it.

I also see that you want to do the HIM in Austing on October 7th! Me too. So, we have some races in common.

And, my goal is to do IMFL 08 as well!

Well, it looks like running is your strength. How do you feel about swimming and biking? Are those at the top too?

What type of bike do you ride?

Well, welcome to the group! You will certainly get some motivation from us!

2007-05-23 4:03 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Welcome, Robin. Good to have you aboard. Now if only some of that early morning training enthusiasm can rub off on me. That is where I struggle the most.

Karen - thanks for the notes on my log. I set up the friends list. Good advice on the knees/cadence relation. Thank you - that may save me a lot of pain and problems. As for less running and more swim/bike - I know for triathlon I should do that, but I have not given up the competitive running. I will try and maintain two days of each other discipline, but my running will always take priority.
2007-05-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: #814134

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-05-23 4:03 PM

Welcome, Robin. Good to have you aboard. Now if only some of that early morning training enthusiasm can rub off on me. That is where I struggle the most.

Karen - thanks for the notes on my log. I set up the friends list. Good advice on the knees/cadence relation. Thank you - that may save me a lot of pain and problems. As for less running and more swim/bike - I know for triathlon I should do that, but I have not given up the competitive running. I will try and maintain two days of each other discipline, but my running will always take priority.

OH! OK, you are still running competitively... so that makes sense, all the miles.

Have you been incorporating bricks into your routine? That may help you get more bike miles in and keep up with the running miles.

I know for me, the struggle has been balancing the 3 disciplines and having time for all of them. My coach has me doing 2 swim workouts a week (yes, I slack there! I can do one workout a week and still come out of the water top 3 in my AG), 3-4 running sessions a week, and 3 bike workouts a week.

I always try to get one brick in a week. I think that was my major mistake my first 2 years of training, little to no bricks. Before, coming off the bike into a run, my legs were jello for the first mile. Now days, after 5 months of bricks, my legs enjoy the running after the bike.

Of course, you are such a good runner, that might not even affect you at all.

2007-05-23 4:23 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
The bricks are coming soon. Some friends are starting a weekly brick workout. I will not do it weekly, but I will probably do one every other week or so and just ease into it.

I am sure my legs will be jello after the bike as well. How fast I can run on jello legs, we shall see. I am rather jealous of your swim ability. Learning how to swim at age 35 was a humbling experience. Boy do I wish I had stuck with those swim lessons as a child!
2007-05-23 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
In 2000, I did Danskin, Couples Tri with my husband and attempted an olympic and got through the swim and bike and was dehydrated and pulled out. At the end of that race, I knew if I tried again at that distance I would do it. The tri bug bit me then and I knew I'd get back into it. So, last year I began training for Cap Tex and also did Danslin again. I continued with my training in hopes to do a HIM in Conroe but because of a back injury I had to stop for in August and once my back was better my sister-in-law coached me with running.
I have a road bike. It's a Bianche and I like it. It's nothing fancy. As for biking, I'm always looking to improve(get faster). I usually average 15-16 miles an hour. I've dealt with back issues so I"m still not as comfortable as I should be. I've been fitted and I still want a second opinion with the fit. I'm currently going to a sports massage therapist for stretching out my hip flexors. After an hour and half to two hours my back is really hurting. After the Longhorn tri, I'm going to think about investing in a tri bike. I want to get faster but I know I need more time on bike for that.
My swimming is okay. I learned on my own. I recently got some stroke instruction and learned so much. Since my kids are out of school, I think I'll join the masters swim group.
2007-05-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: #814234

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rjbostick - 2007-05-23 4:47 PM

In 2000, I did Danskin, Couples Tri with my husband and attempted an olympic and got through the swim and bike and was dehydrated and pulled out. At the end of that race, I knew if I tried again at that distance I would do it. The tri bug bit me then and I knew I'd get back into it. So, last year I began training for Cap Tex and also did Danslin again. I continued with my training in hopes to do a HIM in Conroe but because of a back injury I had to stop for in August and once my back was better my sister-in-law coached me with running.
I have a road bike. It's a Bianche and I like it. It's nothing fancy. As for biking, I'm always looking to improve(get faster). I usually average 15-16 miles an hour. I've dealt with back issues so I"m still not as comfortable as I should be. I've been fitted and I still want a second opinion with the fit. I'm currently going to a sports massage therapist for stretching out my hip flexors. After an hour and half to two hours my back is really hurting. After the Longhorn tri, I'm going to think about investing in a tri bike. I want to get faster but I know I need more time on bike for that.
My swimming is okay. I learned on my own. I recently got some stroke instruction and learned so much. Since my kids are out of school, I think I'll join the masters swim group.

Dehydrated? Gosh, sorry to hear it. Well, at least you chalked it up as a learning lesson and moved forward.

Back injury? Sorry to hear it. I can see how riding a road bike would make your back hurt too. As for a tri bike, the position is something to get use to. My neck and back always hurt after 20 miles. I haven't made it over 30 miles on it without some extreme neck and back pain. I'm slowly working up to my HIM miles on the tri bike.

A Bianche is a nice bike! Very nice! Where you ride, are there lots of hills, or is it relatively flat?

My focus right now is improving my overall bike average. So far, so good. Once CapTex is done, I'm hitting the weights again, to help with it. For right now, when I go ride, I tell myself to pedal, not coast and to pedal hard. Well, unless I'm with a slow group (that is going to stop BTW). My coach also has me doing some interval work to up my average.

Learned on your own how to swim? Impressive. Yes, swimming is all about technique. So any instruction you can get is useful. I use to do Master's swimming, but here in Dallas it's $60 a month. Too rich for my blood, considering I might only make 1 workout a week. I get my swim workouts from my coach and I'm good about putting in the yardage (at least once a week).

You should enjoy Master's swimming though. Keep us posted on how that goes.

2007-05-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: #814185

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-05-23 4:23 PM

The bricks are coming soon. Some friends are starting a weekly brick workout. I will not do it weekly, but I will probably do one every other week or so and just ease into it.

I am sure my legs will be jello after the bike as well. How fast I can run on jello legs, we shall see. I am rather jealous of your swim ability. Learning how to swim at age 35 was a humbling experience. Boy do I wish I had stuck with those swim lessons as a child!

Ah right... you don't want to rush into it. Once every other week should suffice.

Hey, you learned how to swim at age 35.. that is a HUGE accomplishment! And out of the 3 disciplines, I think swimming is the hardest to learn and become good at, due to it being all technique.

Although, I would kill to run fast too! If I could run fast, I'd be getting some hardware. I think in a year or two, I might see some improvement in that area.

Already, I have noticed a drastic improvement after I'm done with a long run (6-8 miles). You see, the first 6 mile run I did, I could barely walk a short distance home, because of the tightness and pain in my lower legs. Then, I couldn't even walk right for 2 day afterwards. Whereas, just last Friday I did an 8 mile run, and I could walk just fine afterwards, and I wasn't hobbling around for days! The only pain I had was in my quads- a normal and good pain! FINALLY!

2007-05-23 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
If I could jump in here...

NAME: Grant Gannon

STORY: I grew up an athlete and competed in basketball, track and swimming in high school. I lettered in all three for three years and considered myself to be a very healthy person. I didn't smoke or drink and could eat like a horse. However being a good high school athlete was it for me. I attended a large state university in the south and spent the better part of eight years trying to maim and harm my body with beer, Marlboro lights, and fried food. Luckily for me I didn't quite succeed. I did manage to gain roughly 40 pounds from the time I arrived at school until the time I left the job I took right after I graduated. I've been in Dallas, TX for 3.5 months and 2.5 of that has been spent in a gym roughly 5-6 days a week. In that time frame I've gone from 225-230 lbs to around 20 (as of this 5/23 posting). Most of my early work was focused on cardio to shed pounds, walking and swimming. I've raised my pool distance from 600 meters to over 2000 per session. I've been on the bike for three weeks, my first ever experience on a road bike. I love it. My focus has also turned to running in the last two weeks and I have an intensive plan to get that on par with my swimming and cycling. Surprisingly, I consider swimming to be my strongest discipline which is a departure from the norm. I used to be a avid golfer but find the pain and gain of a long swim or a bike ride to be infinitely more rewarding than a well-struck seven iron. (Although I hope a stronger back and lower body results in gains on the course as well)

My original New Year's resolution was simple, run a 10K. I figured rather than losing weight or quitting smoking, completing a run of that distance would mean that everything else would take care of itself. I realized that was too low a goal and started focusing on a triathlon. So far so good.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, and content. When people find out just how much I work out, they usually ask if that's why I'm single. I don't know. Is it?

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim three times a week and cycle just as much. Sun/Tues/Thurs are swim days. Mon/Wed/Sat are bike days. Mon/Wed are weight room days, Friday is my off day. I've started working short runs into my plans after each swim and weight room session. Once those become longer distances I will rework my schedule accordingly. Usually workouts are limited only by time and not by fatigue.

LAST YEARS RACES: First year

2007 RACES: Initial plan is a 10/7 Oly tri. If I feel comfortable I may do a sprint in July/August

WEIGHTLOSS: 7/4/2007 I weighed in at 235 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been. Currently I am 205 pounds and looking to go somewhere in the neighborhood of 195-200.

Edited by GrantGannon 2007-05-23 5:02 PM
2007-05-23 5:24 PM
in reply to: #814255

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-05-23 4:59 PM

If I could jump in here...

NAME: Grant Gannon

STORY: I grew up an athlete and competed in basketball, track and swimming in high school. I lettered in all three for three years and considered myself to be a very healthy person. I didn't smoke or drink and could eat like a horse. However being a good high school athlete was it for me. I attended a large state university in the south and spent the better part of eight years trying to maim and harm my body with beer, Marlboro lights, and fried food. Luckily for me I didn't quite succeed. I did manage to gain roughly 40 pounds from the time I arrived at school until the time I left the job I took right after I graduated. I've been in Dallas, TX for 3.5 months and 2.5 of that has been spent in a gym roughly 5-6 days a week. In that time frame I've gone from 225-230 lbs to around 20 (as of this 5/23 posting). Most of my early work was focused on cardio to shed pounds, walking and swimming. I've raised my pool distance from 600 meters to over 2000 per session. I've been on the bike for three weeks, my first ever experience on a road bike. I love it. My focus has also turned to running in the last two weeks and I have an intensive plan to get that on par with my swimming and cycling. Surprisingly, I consider swimming to be my strongest discipline which is a departure from the norm. I used to be a avid golfer but find the pain and gain of a long swim or a bike ride to be infinitely more rewarding than a well-struck seven iron. (Although I hope a stronger back and lower body results in gains on the course as well)

My original New Year's resolution was simple, run a 10K. I figured rather than losing weight or quitting smoking, completing a run of that distance would mean that everything else would take care of itself. I realized that was too low a goal and started focusing on a triathlon. So far so good.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, and content. When people find out just how much I work out, they usually ask if that's why I'm single. I don't know. Is it?

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim three times a week and cycle just as much. Sun/Tues/Thurs are swim days. Mon/Wed/Sat are bike days. Mon/Wed are weight room days, Friday is my off day. I've started working short runs into my plans after each swim and weight room session. Once those become longer distances I will rework my schedule accordingly. Usually workouts are limited only by time and not by fatigue.

LAST YEARS RACES: First year

2007 RACES: Initial plan is a 10/7 Oly tri. If I feel comfortable I may do a sprint in July/August

WEIGHTLOSS: 7/4/2007 I weighed in at 235 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been. Currently I am 205 pounds and looking to go somewhere in the neighborhood of 195-200.

Hello Grant! Welcome to our group! I have seen you posting on the various forums and it's nice to see your enthusiasm for getting started in the world of tri's.

Hey, I live in Dallas, TX too. If we don't get rained out on Friday, I'll be at the OWS at Lake Ray Hubbard. Otherwise, we should meet up for a ride or something, in the future. If you look at my training log, you will see that I have a bike rally (or two- not listed yet) coming up. Bike rallies are great places to get out and ride.

I understand about the "pain and gain". So many people swear by yoga, and I did it for a year. But gosh, it just seemed like a waste of my time. Sure, I was flexible, but I would always have to run before the class to feel like I was getting a workout. For me, I have to be active, or I feel like I'm doing anything productive.

So, did you run a 10K? Or did you just ditch that and go for the tri's?

Yea, I would really suggest that you do a sprint before your Oly. Just use it as a learning experience. If you can find a pool swim tri (easy in the DFW area) that would be a great starter race. Otherwise, you may want to do an OWS sprint tri before your Oly. Which Oly do you have your sights on?

If you start with a sprint, when you do your Oly, you can make it an "A" race, versus a "just finish" race. Just a suggestion. Plus, that way, you get to race when it's still summer!

Welcome to the group!

2007-05-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: #814291

User image

Veteran
Hey thanks for the welcome. To answer your questions.

I have yet to run the 10K although it's on the to-do list for the summer. I'll probably try to get in on a 5K at some point in June, run the Disco sprint in July, 10K in August, maybe the TexasMan in September and complete the season with the Stonebridge Oly in Oct.

Lofy goals? You betcha, I tend to be an optimist.

As far as cycling goes I usually ride alone since my speed and ability vary on which way the wind is blowing. Currently I do about 50 miles during the week, usually two 20 mile rides on Sat/Sun and a quickie 10 mile during the week.
2007-05-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #814360

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-05-23 6:33 PM

Hey thanks for the welcome. To answer your questions.

I have yet to run the 10K although it's on the to-do list for the summer. I'll probably try to get in on a 5K at some point in June, run the Disco sprint in July, 10K in August, maybe the TexasMan in September and complete the season with the Stonebridge Oly in Oct.

Lofy goals? You betcha, I tend to be an optimist.

As far as cycling goes I usually ride alone since my speed and ability vary on which way the wind is blowing. Currently I do about 50 miles during the week, usually two 20 mile rides on Sat/Sun and a quickie 10 mile during the week.

Sounds good on the 10K. I'm sure you will complete it with flying colors.

Disco in July sounds like a good sprint. I also have the TexasMan on my race calendar.

Stonebridge Oly in Oct- you can do it no problem.

Lofty goals? Naw. You can do it. I have been amazed at how some people progress in this sport with drive and determination!

2007-05-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: #814931

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2007-05-24 9:09 AM
Lofty goals? Naw. You can do it. I have been amazed at how some people progress in this sport with drive and determination!

I call it addiction.
2007-05-24 5:19 PM

New user

NAME:Rueschmike/Mike

STORY:
Tipped the scales at 280 in 2004/2005 - decided to do something about it. Join a wellness center so I would have a place to work out. I was a xcountry runner in HS so I had a history with running. Excelled on the stationary bike during challenges at the Wellness Center. Director had pushed for to try one, but my excuse was I didn't have a bike. I have always been intrigues by the triathalon - the pain, the suffering, pushing oneself to do the unthinkable, the unimaginable. But never thought it was for me. The center has always talked about creating a Tri Club but no one seems to want to take charge. In June of 2006 I started training for a half marathon in November. Once that was complete I started attending spinning classes at Center 5 times a week while still running 20-30 miles a week. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my fitness as I had to goals. The director pushed for me to try triathalons. No bike was my excuse!! Well we received a letter from a friend asking for donation to Team in Training back in February as she was training for the EAS5430 Long Course Triathlon in Boulder. The first thing I asked about was had she bought a bike. Well we went up to Colorado in March and I guess the wife saw how envious I was of her bike so we bought one shortly after that. Well now I have no excuses ~ well one and it's pretty major - The swim!!! I do have access to a pool but don't use as I am intimidated. The runner's club is assisting with the Wellness Center to host a tri in August and I figured where else to get good information.

FAMILY STATUS:
~33 years old
~Married
~9 years
~No kids
~1 inside cat - 6 dogs outside and too many damn cats to count

CURRENT TRAINING:
I run twice a week with the local runners club about 3-5 miles a run and ride twice a week on group ride - weather permitting. On the weekends I normally jump on the bike and go for 50 miles or so. Ocassionally I try to get in a long run. Here lately I have been "racing" 15K, 5K, Half Marathon three of the last 4 weekends and this weekend have a 5K.

2005 & 2006 RACES:
Just running.

2007 RACES:
Runs - 2 Half Marathons, 15K, and 2 5Ks

August 18
Ranch Round-up Sprint Tri
Course length not determined

August 25, 2007
Hotter-N-Hell Hundred
Paid

WEIGHTLOSS - What's that? Since the end of March 06 I have plateaued at 230 +-5 pounds
2007-05-24 5:46 PM
in reply to: #816056

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rueschmike - 2007-05-24 5:19 PM

NAME:Rueschmike/Mike

STORY:
Tipped the scales at 280 in 2004/2005 - decided to do something about it. Join a wellness center so I would have a place to work out. I was a xcountry runner in HS so I had a history with running. Excelled on the stationary bike during challenges at the Wellness Center. Director had pushed for to try one, but my excuse was I didn't have a bike. I have always been intrigues by the triathalon - the pain, the suffering, pushing oneself to do the unthinkable, the unimaginable. But never thought it was for me. The center has always talked about creating a Tri Club but no one seems to want to take charge. In June of 2006 I started training for a half marathon in November. Once that was complete I started attending spinning classes at Center 5 times a week while still running 20-30 miles a week. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my fitness as I had to goals. The director pushed for me to try triathalons. No bike was my excuse!! Well we received a letter from a friend asking for donation to Team in Training back in February as she was training for the EAS5430 Long Course Triathlon in Boulder. The first thing I asked about was had she bought a bike. Well we went up to Colorado in March and I guess the wife saw how envious I was of her bike so we bought one shortly after that. Well now I have no excuses ~ well one and it's pretty major - The swim!!! I do have access to a pool but don't use as I am intimidated. The runner's club is assisting with the Wellness Center to host a tri in August and I figured where else to get good information.

FAMILY STATUS:
~33 years old
~Married
~9 years
~No kids
~1 inside cat - 6 dogs outside and too many damn cats to count

CURRENT TRAINING:
I run twice a week with the local runners club about 3-5 miles a run and ride twice a week on group ride - weather permitting. On the weekends I normally jump on the bike and go for 50 miles or so. Ocassionally I try to get in a long run. Here lately I have been "racing" 15K, 5K, Half Marathon three of the last 4 weekends and this weekend have a 5K.

2005 & 2006 RACES:
Just running.

2007 RACES:
Runs - 2 Half Marathons, 15K, and 2 5Ks

August 18
Ranch Round-up Sprint Tri
Course length not determined

August 25, 2007
Hotter-N-Hell Hundred
Paid

WEIGHTLOSS - What's that? Since the end of March 06 I have plateaued at 230 +-5 pounds

Hello Mike! Welcome to the group!

Well, congratulations on the 50 pound weight loss! Very impressive! It sounds like you are at possibly your ideal weight, and that it's not getting in the way of your training... so that's good.

You have a bike... what kind? Is it a road bike or a tri bike?

So, you haven't done a tri yet, but your first one is for August 18, 2007? You have the running and biking down, but you haven't gotten in the pool yet (did I read that right?).

Yea, I have to say, our little group here LOVES running... well, everyone except me I think.

And you are signed up for HnH? I tentatively have that on my race calendar, but I don't know if I'll go. The whole hotel situation is such a hassle, and I'm not too keen on driving 2+ hours, riding 100 miles and then driving 2+ hours home.

Well, welcome to our group, and I will start inspiring you!
2007-05-24 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: KSH's Group- FULL
OK, here is our Mentor Group:

KSH'S MENTOR GROUP
Episcopit/Laura
DannyCapp/Danny
rjbostick/Robin
GrantGannon/Grant
Rueschmike/Mike

If you haven't already, please add everyone to your Friends List. That way, we can all inspire each other on a regular basis. It's hard to get lazy when you know the rest of the team will be watching!

Also, I strongly encourage everyone to enter their upcoming races via the Race Nexus. If you aren't sure how to do that, let me know, I can pass it along. That way, we can all easily keep track of what you have coming up via your calendar.

And if you haven't already found it, BT has an equipment tracker. This is great way to log the miles on your running shoes.

I have CLOSED the group. I think 6 total members is a very good group. Honestly, if we have more, I won't be able to give individual attention, and we might "lose track" of someone along the way.

We have until August for our Mentor group. I encourage everyone to put in suggestions and ideas on how we can challenge and encourage one another. After CapTex (May 28th) I'll probably see if we want to start up some small weekly challenges.

Finally... you are here... and you are committed. I don't want to lose a person along the way. Getting lost = you stop replying to the thread, you stop posting in your Training Log... you go MIA from BT. If you are here, you are here with us until August, or until you achieve your goal (which might be a tri that is sooner than that).

GOOD LUCK everyone! We can do this together!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 6