BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-30 11:42 AM
in reply to: #820662

Subject: RE: Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - OPEN
I have a running volume of three hours a week. I run three times a week, once as a track workout, so there are lots of rests, total running time is probably about 1h20m and I get about three miles in and then I do a brick on saturdays which is a half hour of running, or two and a half miles, whichever comes first, and then I have an easy three mile run, so that's probably 40 minutes...I say I run about 2.5 hours a week.

I don't have a race plan, I'm not sure what I'd even put in that...I guess get into the water, go, swim, get out, shimmy out of my wetsuit, get into shoes, put on helmet, glasses, get on bike, go ride, get back, throw off helmet and gloves, put on socks and shoes and hat and go run...finish..

I will probably eat a little gu before the bike, like a half a packet, and maybe the next half before the run. I'll probably eat some taco bell and fedducini alfredo before hand.

I'm not sure what I should eat before the race. I've eaten everything from taco bell to nothing on my runs and swims and bikes and I do well with food, it doesn't matter what, as long as it's actually food. I can't do that stuff on an empty stomach.

I'm swimming tonight and that'll be my last workout for the week. I'm just going to chill until sunday.

2007-05-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: #822318

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Here's the basic plan I used for my first race - hope it helps

Two days before - off

Day before - quick swim, bike and run. All easy but a few quick pickups to race pace. Nutrition - eat normally - last solid meal at 5pm. After that, sipping on sports drink and/or water until bed. A bottle beside the bed to sip if I woke up.

Day of - wake up at least 3 hours prior to start and have breakfast (2 cans of ensure). Continue sipping water until 30 minutes prior to race start. Switch to sports drink at this point. Prior to the event, warmup in reverse order - 10-15 minutes per event, again with 30seconds pickups to race pace.

Swim - Start outside and towards the back unless you are very comfortable swimming in groups and know you will have a fast time. Starting outside will allow you to take a straight line to the first buoy without worrying about fighting through the crowd. Go at a comfortable pace - the difference in a sprint between swimming 1:45/100m and 2:00/100m is only about two minutes but will require significantly more energy.

T1 - As you exit the water, grab the zipper for your wetsuit, undo it and then pull your suit until it is around your waist. Remove your cap and goggles and jog to transition. In transition, drop your cap and goggles and peel your wetsuit off. Put on your sunglasses then helmet (this will prevent your glass from flying off when you remove your helmet), race belt, socks and shoes. Grab your bike and jog to the mount line. Once clear of the mount line (don't stop right on the mount line) swing one leg over the bike and start pedalling.

Bike - Take it easy for the first five minutes as you get used to being a biker not a swimmer. As you feel more comfortable, pick up the pace but remember you have 5k to run afterwards to don't go super hard. Your effort should feel hard but sustainable. As you return to transition, spin a gear or two easier to loosen your legs for the run.

T2 - Jog with your bike into T2. Rack your bike, take off your helmet, take off your bike shoes and put on your running shoes. Grab anything you need and run to the exit.

Run - Use the first mile to get used to being a runner. Your legs will probably feel heavy and slow but you are probably not running as slowly as you think. Use the second mile to build your effort and the last mile should be pretty hard - you want to finish fast knowing you put forth a hard effort throughout.

You probably don't need anything other than a small water bottle on the bike and maybe a little water at each aid station on the run.

Good luck,

Shane

analog_girly - 2007-05-30 1:42 PM

I have a running volume of three hours a week. I run three times a week, once as a track workout, so there are lots of rests, total running time is probably about 1h20m and I get about three miles in and then I do a brick on saturdays which is a half hour of running, or two and a half miles, whichever comes first, and then I have an easy three mile run, so that's probably 40 minutes...I say I run about 2.5 hours a week.

I don't have a race plan, I'm not sure what I'd even put in that...I guess get into the water, go, swim, get out, shimmy out of my wetsuit, get into shoes, put on helmet, glasses, get on bike, go ride, get back, throw off helmet and gloves, put on socks and shoes and hat and go run...finish..

I will probably eat a little gu before the bike, like a half a packet, and maybe the next half before the run. I'll probably eat some taco bell and fedducini alfredo before hand.

I'm not sure what I should eat before the race. I've eaten everything from taco bell to nothing on my runs and swims and bikes and I do well with food, it doesn't matter what, as long as it's actually food. I can't do that stuff on an empty stomach.

I'm swimming tonight and that'll be my last workout for the week. I'm just going to chill until sunday.
2007-05-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #822554

thanks! I'm printing that off and going over it. I'll let you know how the race goes...
2007-05-31 12:54 AM
in reply to: #821807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

gsmacleod - 2007-05-30 6:23 AM Mike, welcome to the group! Goals look good - let me know how I can help Shane

Hey Shane...mostly right now, I'm hoping to work on speed.  I want to WIN the Try-a-Tri (or something close to winning...but the goal is winning), which means I'm going to have to come in sometime around 45 minutes .  Right now, although I haven't been in a pool for about a month and a half or more, my 300m time should be about 6 minutes, maybe down as low as 5:30 if I really push it.  My 15km bike time should probably be somewhere around 28 minutes on a flat course like the one I'll be on, and my run time is probably sitting at about 14 minutes for 3km.  Not counting transition, that adds up to about 48 minutes...so probably 52 with transitions...same race last year took me 1:07.  I need to get faster, because I really want to win!  I was really disappointed in my performance last year (had bike issues and a TERRIBLE swim) and came well short of my projected goal of 1 hour.  This is how I want to make up for it.

I'm thinking that I'll start with working on speedwork twice a week with my running and long distances on the third day of running.  I'll also work on just swimming...I just need to get in the water and SWIM.  The bike I'm not too worried about, I can speed that up with a bit of work, I'm sure.

2007-05-31 10:33 AM
in reply to: #823507

User image

Champion
I had a quick look at your training log - looks like you are just getting back into training after some weeks of not having a great deal of time. With this, even though you want to focus on speed, your best bet right now is just to continue with lots of low intensity training. You can add some higher intensity stuff (strides for sure, maybe a tempo run) depending on how your first week or two goes. If you feel up to it, then some intensity might be appropriate.

For running, if you want to get faster the best way to do that is to increase your frequency - running 3 times a week will help new runners get faster, but if you truly want to run faster, increasing to 4 runs a week will be the first step. It doesn't need to be a long run or a fast run, but just time on your legs. Again, throw some strides into your runs and after a couple weeks, possibly a tempo run, but I would probably forgo anymore than that.

Shane

Deputy - 2007-05-31 2:54 AM

Hey Shane...mostly right now, I'm hoping to work on speed.  I want to WIN the Try-a-Tri (or something close to winning...but the goal is winning), which means I'm going to have to come in sometime around 45 minutes .  Right now, although I haven't been in a pool for about a month and a half or more, my 300m time should be about 6 minutes, maybe down as low as 5:30 if I really push it.  My 15km bike time should probably be somewhere around 28 minutes on a flat course like the one I'll be on, and my run time is probably sitting at about 14 minutes for 3km.  Not counting transition, that adds up to about 48 minutes...so probably 52 with transitions...same race last year took me 1:07.  I need to get faster, because I really want to win!  I was really disappointed in my performance last year (had bike issues and a TERRIBLE swim) and came well short of my projected goal of 1 hour.  This is how I want to make up for it.

I'm thinking that I'll start with working on speedwork twice a week with my running and long distances on the third day of running.  I'll also work on just swimming...I just need to get in the water and SWIM.  The bike I'm not too worried about, I can speed that up with a bit of work, I'm sure.

2007-06-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: #812958

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL
How's everyone doing? Hope your week has been productive and good luck to Elizabeth who is racing this weekend

Hope everyone has a great weekend of SBR'ing!

Shane

2007-06-01 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Did some videos of myself running...hope no one makes copies of these http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2007-06-01 7:51 PM
in reply to: #826421

User image

Champion
I'll have a look and see if I see anything...

Tomorrow's pretty busy but hopefully I'll get a chance and have something for you tomorrow...

Shane

Salain - 2007-06-01 9:49 PM

Did some videos of myself running...hope no one makes copies of these http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by gsmacleod 2007-06-01 7:56 PM
2007-06-02 2:34 AM
in reply to: #824037

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

gsmacleod - 2007-05-31 8:33 AM I had a quick look at your training log - looks like you are just getting back into training after some weeks of not having a great deal of time. With this, even though you want to focus on speed, your best bet right now is just to continue with lots of low intensity training. You can add some higher intensity stuff (strides for sure, maybe a tempo run) depending on how your first week or two goes. If you feel up to it, then some intensity might be appropriate. For running, if you want to get faster the best way to do that is to increase your frequency - running 3 times a week will help new runners get faster, but if you truly want to run faster, increasing to 4 runs a week will be the first step. It doesn't need to be a long run or a fast run, but just time on your legs. Again, throw some strides into your runs and after a couple weeks, possibly a tempo run, but I would probably forgo anymore than that. Shane

Hey Shane,

Yeah, it's been a busy few weeks.  I finished university (probably forever) and took a big road trip and just started PLTC (the required bar exam course in BC).  Just getting settled into that right now. 

Thanks for the advice on speed.  I'll try to get more workouts in.  It seems to be hard to do when there are so many other workouts/activities to do (3x Swim, 3x Bike, 4x Run,  2x Lift, at least 1x Golf, usually 1x Something Else like badminton or something).  I just need to stop being so lazy and just get out and do it!

Cameron, what's your stretching scheme like?  Does that impact on your running at all?  I know stretching affects my running pain a lot...my pain is completely different than yours, but thought I'd throw it out there.

And good luck Elizabeth! Kick !

2007-06-02 6:20 PM
in reply to: #826421

User image

Champion
Looks like you've gotten some pretty good feedback on the thread. I've had a look and like others have mentioned, your form looks pretty good Hope the new shoes help; that's a pretty good running shoe store that let you exchange your shoes, I wouldn't stray too far from them.

Let me know how things go with the new shoes!

Shane

Salain - 2007-06-01 9:49 PM

Edited by gsmacleod 2007-06-02 6:21 PM
2007-06-02 6:24 PM
in reply to: #826522

User image

Champion
Congrats on finishing university (although never say never ) and best of luck with the PLTC.

One of the ways you can easily add another run is to do a short transition run off the bike - even 15'-20' will get the legs moving and help you get used to the feeling of running off the bike. Don't try to go fast, just a nice easy run off the bike is all you need to get benefit from the extra run.

Shane

Deputy - 2007-06-02 4:34 AM

Hey Shane,

Yeah, it's been a busy few weeks.  I finished university (probably forever) and took a big road trip and just started PLTC (the required bar exam course in BC).  Just getting settled into that right now. 

Thanks for the advice on speed.  I'll try to get more workouts in.  It seems to be hard to do when there are so many other workouts/activities to do (3x Swim, 3x Bike, 4x Run,  2x Lift, at least 1x Golf, usually 1x Something Else like badminton or something).  I just need to stop being so lazy and just get out and do it!

Cameron, what's your stretching scheme like?  Does that impact on your running at all?  I know stretching affects my running pain a lot...my pain is completely different than yours, but thought I'd throw it out there.

And good luck Elizabeth! Kick !

2007-06-04 8:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: #826881

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

gsmacleod - 2007-06-02 4:24 PM Congrats on finishing university (although never say never ) and best of luck with the PLTC. One of the ways you can easily add another run is to do a short transition run off the bike - even 15'-20' will get the legs moving and help you get used to the feeling of running off the bike. Don't try to go fast, just a nice easy run off the bike is all you need to get benefit from the extra run. Shane

Hey Shane...you're right, I should never say never...but the odds are very, very slim.  We'll see though!

Thanks for the tip re the short brick idea...hadn't thought of it.  Now I just have to get out on the bike, hah.  It's been one of those weekends where a variety of other stuff has got in the way and right now it's about damage control more than anything else.  Going for a nice long trail run tomorrow though...that'll be fun and hard.   Looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll swim tonight, although I'm REALLY tired. 

And yeah, Tyler, I've watched the video and glanced through the book.  I definitely found it helpful.  It's an excellent method, particularly if you're not a strong swimmer already, but it takes a good amount of practice to be able to implement the ideas...but when you get it, it really makes a big difference.  Or at least that was my experience.

2007-06-05 8:36 AM
in reply to: #829657

Champion
TI really depends on the individual. For someone who is coming to swimming as an adult without much background in swimming (competitive, lifeguarding, swim lessons) then TI can be a great tool to help adults learn to swim and in general be comfortable in the water.

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-06-04 10:32 PM

Has anyone read or seen the video of Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion swimming?
2007-06-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: #829741

Champion
Enjoy the trail run - that's something I don't make time for nearly enough. Great way to log some solid miles with a little less impact than running roads and sidewalks.

Sometimes life just gets in the way - that was one of the hardest lessons that I had to learn when I started training. For the entire first year of training I was terrible when it came to missing workouts and then letting that ruin my day. Generally, there isn't too much need to worry about damage control - a few missed workouts here and there aren't going to ruin your fitness or race day.

Shane

Deputy - 2007-06-04 11:27 PM

Hey Shane...you're right, I should never say never...but the odds are very, very slim.  We'll see though!

Thanks for the tip re the short brick idea...hadn't thought of it.  Now I just have to get out on the bike, hah.  It's been one of those weekends where a variety of other stuff has got in the way and right now it's about damage control more than anything else.  Going for a nice long trail run tomorrow though...that'll be fun and hard.   Looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll swim tonight, although I'm REALLY tired. 

And yeah, Tyler, I've watched the video and glanced through the book.  I definitely found it helpful.  It's an excellent method, particularly if you're not a strong swimmer already, but it takes a good amount of practice to be able to implement the ideas...but when you get it, it really makes a big difference.  Or at least that was my experience.

2007-06-05 11:06 AM

I finished my first race! I got 19th out of 66 in the female wave novice with a time of 1:36:02. One of my goals was run a sub thirty minute five k which I didn't think was possible because that meant I had to run a sub 10 minute mile which was seriously an impossibility for me...

but guess what? It was possible because I ran a sub thirty 5k! I can check that off my list...

One guy on my college team that ran a 15 minute 5k. It was his first triathlon and he finished 8th overall. I'm so proud of him! Once he gets his act together he'll be really good cause he did it on some random road bike and isn't really a swimmer, but dude is fast.

Afterwards he was trying to get us all out to play volleyball, too....I was like "no, I'm dead!"

I'm pleased as punch with my first race and wouldn't change a thing! You can check out my race report if you want to...

I'm going to start training up for olympic distance...whats the best way to do that?

2007-06-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: #830470

Champion
Great work! Excellent work breaking the 30' for 5k - it's always great when you are able to do things you didn't think you could

As for building to an Oly, there are plans on this site that you can make use of - they are designed as finisher plans. If you are looking for something more elaborate, there are lots of free plans available, you should be able to good up some solid plans.

Congratulations again,

Shane

analog_girly - 2007-06-05 1:06 PM

I finished my first race! I got 19th out of 66 in the female wave novice with a time of 1:36:02. One of my goals was run a sub thirty minute five k which I didn't think was possible because that meant I had to run a sub 10 minute mile which was seriously an impossibility for me...

but guess what? It was possible because I ran a sub thirty 5k! I can check that off my list...

One guy on my college team that ran a 15 minute 5k. It was his first triathlon and he finished 8th overall. I'm so proud of him! Once he gets his act together he'll be really good cause he did it on some random road bike and isn't really a swimmer, but dude is fast.

Afterwards he was trying to get us all out to play volleyball, too....I was like "no, I'm dead!"

I'm pleased as punch with my first race and wouldn't change a thing! You can check out my race report if you want to...

I'm going to start training up for olympic distance...whats the best way to do that?

2007-06-06 9:25 PM

Shane,

Sorry for the lack of response. I was ordered to the the CEO's office on Friday of last week and promoted to V.P status for our organization. Yes , great career move. Bad for my training so far this week.
With the promotion came the responsability of improving several lagging stores. It has been a long week of 14 to 15 hours a day with no sleep and lot's of STRESS!
Anyways, hoping to land on my feet after the wekend. Lots of rest i hope and maybe the opportunity to actually get in some nutrition. Monday i will begin training again. Time to focus.
For all those reading the thread. I really believe no matter how tired i am. I feel terrible not getting in some daily endorphan's...NO STRESS RELIEF!
One plus out of the deal. I purchased a new bike so excited about riding soon. Any tips on trying to balance the new career moves and training would be appreciated. I am rather worn down at this time.

Lloyd
2007-06-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #833406

Champion

No worries - congratulations on the promotion and new bike

Best of luck with the recovery this weekend and getting back on track next week!

Shane

triguy62 - 2007-06-06 11:25 PM

Shane,

Sorry for the lack of response. I was ordered to the the CEO's office on Friday of last week and promoted to V.P status for our organization. Yes , great career move. Bad for my training so far this week.
With the promotion came the responsability of improving several lagging stores. It has been a long week of 14 to 15 hours a day with no sleep and lot's of STRESS!
Anyways, hoping to land on my feet after the wekend. Lots of rest i hope and maybe the opportunity to actually get in some nutrition. Monday i will begin training again. Time to focus.
For all those reading the thread. I really believe no matter how tired i am. I feel terrible not getting in some daily endorphan's...NO STRESS RELIEF!
One plus out of the deal. I purchased a new bike so excited about riding soon. Any tips on trying to balance the new career moves and training would be appreciated. I am rather worn down at this time.

Lloyd
2007-06-09 11:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Y'know, some days I find it really hard to stay motivated.  As you probably know, we get some rainy weather here in Vancouver.  That means I can either drone away in front of the tv on the trainer (I prefer not to ride outside in the rain for safety reasons...drivers suck here), run in the rain, or sit around and be lazy.

I usually choose the latter.

A year ago, I had pure motivation.  In February of 06 I was about 260 lbs and determined to lose weight.  By this time last year I had lost nearly 40 lbs and was on a strict diet and at the gym at least 4 times a week and doing cardio - usually working out 6 - 10 times a week.  Since I started tri training and needed to eat more (I was on a serious calorie deficit before), I've put on weight and have lost some of my workout motivation.  I don't blame tri training by any means...I just associate the two timeframes.

I personally think that the solution is just for me to regain focus, develop a concrete plan that covers more than just what workouts to do, but rather which food to eat when and in what quantities (very hard to do as the bar course leads to a very erratic schedule at times), which workouts to do on what day (and at what time), a sleep schedule, etc.  The problem with all of that is that I'm not a very organized guy and NOT very good at following a schedule.  This is probably evidenced by the way I've been (not) following along with my training plan.  

I'm just not sure what I'll be able to figure out that will also work for me.

2007-06-09 2:35 PM
in reply to: #837151

Champion
I hear ya - there are days that I eat crap even though I know I shouldn't and days that I don't feel like getting outside (or going to the basement for trainer/treadmill) or going to the pool. Congratulations on the progress so far; those are some huge gains and show, despite your claims, that you are able to follow a plan and get where you want to go!

The big thing for me is just limiting these days as much as possible - I try to avoid eating crap as much as possible and will always ask myself why am I putting this into my body. Sometimes it's just because I feel like ice cream or a chocolate bar and I'm okay with that - everything in moderation

If you can get out and work out more days than you sit on the couch every week, you are ahead of the majority of the population. If you want to be super competitive at triathlon, then you are going to require a detailed plan where you workout twice most days. However, if you are using this as part of a healthy, active lifestyle and are interested in crossing the line, then it doesn't need to be complicated.

For example, someone who is interested in finishing sprint triathlons could easily have a training plan that looks something like this:

Swim - 2x week
Bike - 2x week (one shorter and quicker, one longer and slower)
Run - 3x week (two 20-30' runs and one 45'-1 hour)

Another thing that can help is watching TV unless there is something on that you really want to watch - this has reduced my TV time dramatically as I've realized there are very few programs that I actually want to watch; most of my TV watching was just sitting there when the next program came on.

Shane

Deputy - 2007-06-09 1:59 PM

Y'know, some days I find it really hard to stay motivated.  As you probably know, we get some rainy weather here in Vancouver.  That means I can either drone away in front of the tv on the trainer (I prefer not to ride outside in the rain for safety reasons...drivers suck here), run in the rain, or sit around and be lazy.

I usually choose the latter.

A year ago, I had pure motivation.  In February of 06 I was about 260 lbs and determined to lose weight.  By this time last year I had lost nearly 40 lbs and was on a strict diet and at the gym at least 4 times a week and doing cardio - usually working out 6 - 10 times a week.  Since I started tri training and needed to eat more (I was on a serious calorie deficit before), I've put on weight and have lost some of my workout motivation.  I don't blame tri training by any means...I just associate the two timeframes.

I personally think that the solution is just for me to regain focus, develop a concrete plan that covers more than just what workouts to do, but rather which food to eat when and in what quantities (very hard to do as the bar course leads to a very erratic schedule at times), which workouts to do on what day (and at what time), a sleep schedule, etc.  The problem with all of that is that I'm not a very organized guy and NOT very good at following a schedule.  This is probably evidenced by the way I've been (not) following along with my training plan.  

I'm just not sure what I'll be able to figure out that will also work for me.

2007-06-09 4:18 PM

Shane,

i just got my new Trek pilot 5.0 yesterday and went for my first ride this morning. We knocked of 18 miles in about 1 hour. I must say it is great to ride distance on something other then my Gary Fisher 29r soft tail mountain bike. I had planned to rest this weekend after all the events of last week with my promotion,long hours and no rest. But, had to ride. NO REGRETS!
Back in my grove and fired up. I do have a few questions
Do you think AM training is better then PM? I have noticed if i train cardio in the evenings it is nearly impossible for me to sleep. "I STAY WIRED UP". So i am considering switching to AM sessions in hopes of better rest. Your opinion? Secondly, I do not want to loose my muscle mass that I spent years building. At least not all of it. Do you think weight training in the evening would lead to overtraining with cardio in the morning?
Finally, prior to Am cardio sessions what would you suggest as a pre-workout meal. I have read a few articles about elevated cortisol levels in the morning and training in a fasted state leads the body to consume its own muscle for fuel. NOT INTERESTED IN THAT!!!!

Thanks

Lloyd
2007-06-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: #837260

Champion
Gald to hear you had a good day on the new bike - nothing like the first few rides on a new bike

I usually train morning and late afternoon or early evening. I can't train later for the most part or I'm like you. I had an evening TT on Thursday and it was after midnight before I got to sleep. Didn't do much for the swim I had planned the next morning.

For weight training, there is little chance that you will end up over trained due to some strength training, but you will probably be more interested in maintaining rather than building strength.

In the mornings, I used to use a gel before workouts as I was afraid of how my stomach would react to solid food, but now typically I will have my normal breakfast and then train. I've found that I can tolerate pretty much anything before working out. You will want to experiment a little to find what works for you.

Shane

triguy62 - 2007-06-09 6:18 PM

Shane,

i just got my new Trek pilot 5.0 yesterday and went for my first ride this morning. We knocked of 18 miles in about 1 hour. I must say it is great to ride distance on something other then my Gary Fisher 29r soft tail mountain bike. I had planned to rest this weekend after all the events of last week with my promotion,long hours and no rest. But, had to ride. NO REGRETS!
Back in my grove and fired up. I do have a few questions
Do you think AM training is better then PM? I have noticed if i train cardio in the evenings it is nearly impossible for me to sleep. "I STAY WIRED UP". So i am considering switching to AM sessions in hopes of better rest. Your opinion? Secondly, I do not want to loose my muscle mass that I spent years building. At least not all of it. Do you think weight training in the evening would lead to overtraining with cardio in the morning?
Finally, prior to Am cardio sessions what would you suggest as a pre-workout meal. I have read a few articles about elevated cortisol levels in the morning and training in a fasted state leads the body to consume its own muscle for fuel. NOT INTERESTED IN THAT!!!!

Thanks

Lloyd
2007-06-12 1:05 AM
in reply to: #837227

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Thanks for all of that Shane. I'm starting to get back into the training at least (too bad the eating is the hardest part for me!)

On the plus side, since that post, I've managed to get out to the pool a couple of times (can swim a mile still, so that's something) and even lifted weights. I even threw the bike back on the trainer tonight for a short 35 minute workout.

A real plus for me is that I don't watch much in the way of TV. I only watch very specific shows unless I get distracted by my gf watching something inane (happens a lot).

Time to hit the sack so I can get a full night of rest and workout twice tomorrow!

gsmacleod - 2007-06-09 12:35 PM I hear ya - there are days that I eat crap even though I know I shouldn't and days that I don't feel like getting outside (or going to the basement for trainer/treadmill) or going to the pool. Congratulations on the progress so far; those are some huge gains and show, despite your claims, that you are able to follow a plan and get where you want to go! The big thing for me is just limiting these days as much as possible - I try to avoid eating crap as much as possible and will always ask myself why am I putting this into my body. Sometimes it's just because I feel like ice cream or a chocolate bar and I'm okay with that - everything in moderation If you can get out and work out more days than you sit on the couch every week, you are ahead of the majority of the population. If you want to be super competitive at triathlon, then you are going to require a detailed plan where you workout twice most days. However, if you are using this as part of a healthy, active lifestyle and are interested in crossing the line, then it doesn't need to be complicated. For example, someone who is interested in finishing sprint triathlons could easily have a training plan that looks something like this: Swim - 2x week Bike - 2x week (one shorter and quicker, one longer and slower) Run - 3x week (two 20-30' runs and one 45'-1 hour) Another thing that can help is watching TV unless there is something on that you really want to watch - this has reduced my TV time dramatically as I've realized there are very few programs that I actually want to watch; most of my TV watching was just sitting there when the next program came on. Shane

Edited by Deputy 2007-06-12 1:05 AM
2007-06-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #840147

Champion
Great work - for the most part it's just about doing the activities enough that it becomes a habit. Too bad good habits are harder to form and easier to break than the bad ones

Best of luck with the two workouts today!

Shane

Deputy - 2007-06-12 3:05 AM

Thanks for all of that Shane. I'm starting to get back into the training at least (too bad the eating is the hardest part for me!)

On the plus side, since that post, I've managed to get out to the pool a couple of times (can swim a mile still, so that's something) and even lifted weights. I even threw the bike back on the trainer tonight for a short 35 minute workout.

A real plus for me is that I don't watch much in the way of TV. I only watch very specific shows unless I get distracted by my gf watching something inane (happens a lot).

Time to hit the sack so I can get a full night of rest and workout twice tomorrow!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3