BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-05-25 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed

NAME: Janice

STORY: This is my third season of multi-sport training. I'm a bit of an anomoly as I'm an 'older' athlete; I started tri's at 42. I race age group (45 - 49), but border on Athena as my weight fluctuates between 147 and 153.

I got into triathlon when, after moving to Florida in 2003, experienced my first hurricane season (my joke: I've been here 42 months, five hurricanes and one scorpion sting (tri related!)). I retired to the closet for three months with a case of red wine and a box of Tasty Cake Cupcakes. I emerged somewhere in the mid-170 pound range.

When I started running, I couldn't even string two miles together. My first tri I did on a hybrid bike, looking like the Wicked Witch of the West with my knees all over the place. I DNF'd my first race because I had a panic attack on the swim before I hit the first bouy.

I am the Queen of the pre-swim melt down ('07 St. A's was a classic!. I'm a decent biker who works constantly on my handling skills, and (now) a more than decent runner (I did the 7 Mile Bridge Run on Marathon Key in '05 at 7:53 m/m). My goal for this group is to pass on what little I know () so that you enjoy this sport as much as I do.

FAMILY STATUS: Single (divorced) with three cats ... OMG ... . I so need to get out.

LAST YEAR:
Gasparilla Distance Classic 15k (1:31) Not bad considering A) first time at this distance and B) was just 6 weeks recovered from a major calf tear.
FAU Sprint (1:25), this is the race I DNF'd in '05.
St. Anthony's Oly DNF. My lack of swim ability and the waves ... 'nuf said
Sebring Sprint (don't remember the time), but I got hardware! Best part was I got to do it with my friends Sue7013 and Renee.

2007:
FAU Sprint DNF, again. Again with the waves. I did meet and get to thank the Ocean Resuce Life Guard who pulled me out in '05. I've since done a number of OWS and major duck diving to get over my inability to perform in racous ocean conditions.
St. Anthony's Oly (3:28!!!) HA!
Family Fitness Weekend Sprint (1:11) I'm mad about my swim, but not bad time overall. I was 11/13 in my age group. I would have been 2nd if I raced Athena.
Loggerhead Sprint August
Escape to Miami Olympic September

Right now I'm working with my training partner (KPT in my logs) to prep him for the International Distance Classic in July.

WEIGHTLOSS: In 2004 I was 173. I'm now around 150, but will be 145- by my 45th BDay in September. I love to cook and I'm big into researching diet and nutrition right now for everyday (quick, easy and nutritious) and for racing.

Looking foward to meeting y'all!

2007-05-31 6:18 PM
in reply to: #817421

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: foolproof's Group - Open

Hi Janice!

Sign me up! I think I might be your (possibly evil) twin a couple years younger! (Does that work?) Last year I turn the dreaded 4-0 and decided something needed to be done. In April of '06, I got me a trainer (Dennis is god) and lost 50 pounds. I have been hovering right around 150 for the last few months and have maybe a percent or so of body fat left to lose. I haven't actually done a tri yet, so this is my first season of multi-sport training. So I guess I'm an "older athlete" too. In my head I'm 30. Does that count?

Running has only been fun for the past several months. I completed a 10K in March and a 1/2 Mary in April (under 2 hrs - yay!). I really enjoy it now. Much different than a year ago. You got 7:53?!? I bow to you. I've definitely got some work to do to get under 8 min miles. See? you're already motivating me. LOL!

I love cycling. That's actually what motivated me to lose the weight. Mr Ell wants to cycle some of the Tour de France routes, mostly the famous mountain stages. I couldn't have done that last year, but didn't want to get left out of a really cool fun trip.  Now I need to work on length of rides. My back/shoulder/neck gets tired and starts hurting. Stamina needed!

Next up is some swimming lessons - I only have "absence of drowning" skills and can demonstrate a complete lack of ability to get to the end of the pool. I play in water, waterski in water, have fun in water, but suddenly realized I have never tried to move myself through the water to get somewhere.

My husband and I train together so that's fun, and I still have Dennis once a week. Hubby is not interested in tris though and he's not up for swimming, so I'll be going it alone on the swim training. We are running another 1/2 mary on July 4th.

Family - Hubby and I have a dog and a cat and are looking for a new puppy. I used to garden. I knit/sew/do craft stuff. Hubby plays electric guitar - which entertains me while I do what I do, but makes the dog go hide. Cat doesn't care.

Do we get tiaras in this group?

Leigh

2007-06-01 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Hi Leigh!  And welcome?

Tiara's?  Baby?  You can wear what ever it takes to get you over the finish line.  I tend more towards sparkly earrings.

This will be an exciting year for you!  Hope I can help in some way.

My sub-8 run on the Bridge was a gift and an anomoly.  I was brand new to Florida, and running, but was also working with a trainer at the time.  My weight was closer to 140-ish and I can tell you that less weight equates to faster run times.  I've also found that adding speed and interval training into my runs makes them a) more fun and b) shave seconds.

I love cycling - but again, I'm stuck at that 17/18 mph average.  My problem is getting the nerve to ride in the aero position.  That's my goal for the next few months.

Swimming - as I've said, I'm famous for my panic attacks.  I think I can steady-eddy you there too.

I took a quick peek at your logs ... and will look again later today.  Are you following a plan here?  Have you scheduled your first race yet?

Really looking foward to us both making some awesome progress over the next few months!

Have a good one! 

2007-06-01 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Currently, the only race I have scheduled is the 1/2 Marathon on July 4th. We intended to do an 82 mile ride, but are looking for a different event for later in the summer. There is an all-women triathlon July 28th http://www.racecenter.com/allwomens/ that I haven't signed up for, but I think that if I get some swim lessons and get busy in the pool, I could probably do the sprint distance in that one. Even if the thought of signing up sorta freaks me out at the moment. LOL!

Training plan - yes, I actually do have a plan, but I doubt you'll notice it looking at May. I was sick in early May and missed most regular workouts for about 10 days and then we were out of town over Memorial Day. My trainer helps me out with training schedules, nutrition, etc. My plan is pencil on my home calendar. Actual gets entered on my blog.

Cycling - when you say 17-18 average, do you mean on just any ride or do you mean in a race? We have built up our avg speed to 15-17 over 20-30 miles, but that includes city streets/lights/stop signs to get to and from our usual long training ride stretch. I don't have a race context to compare. My fastest rides have been group rides that include drafting, which I know isn't allowed in tris. I don't have aero bars yet, but it seems like that's the next step.

Progress! Yes!!

Leigh

2007-06-03 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Sorry Leigh, my internet went down.  We finally got some rain down here in SoFla! 

The 17 - 18 I refer to riding is an average for our training rides.  We've had some wicked winds this last month (joke:  Florida hills) which have made the rides 1/2 pain and 1/2 pleasure.  With a tail wind, we're at around 22 - 23, against the wind, it's a struggle to maintain 15 - 17.  I make it a point not to draft since it doesn't help with race training.  It seems my race speeds this year have been mid-17's for the Oly and a little above 18 for the Sprint.

What are your goals for the Sprint race in July?  It's only six weeks out.  Pool or OW swim?  Your bike and run will be fine, but you're going to want to start getting wet.

Hope you had a great weekend!  Let me know what you're thinking for this week! 

2007-06-06 1:10 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Um. I, uh, just want to finish? Is that a goal? I don't have much to compare to. I haven't done many bricks, and have no real clue about what is a good time for the swim. Speaking of, it is an OW swim, but in a very small lake. There will likely be wind.

I got in the water today! After my trainer workout, I hit the pool. For someone who previously could not get to the end of the pool all in on go, I did great! The pool is 25 yards (I think) and I can get to the end and back without stopping. It isn't much, but it is very exciting to me.

I'm signing up for some lessons tomorrow. May as well learn to do it right and get some drills to practice. Yet again, something is not as hard as I thought.

Next up: swim lessons, more swimming, bricks.

2007-06-24 5:14 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Hey Janice!

How's the new job??

I got the swim lesson and have been practicing. I'm starting a 1/2 Mary taper week on Thursday, but will still be pushing the swimming to keep the improvement going.

Hope you had a great weekend!

Leigh

2007-06-26 9:44 AM

New user

California
Hi Janice,
I would love to join your group... is it too late? I am 38 yrs. young, single mom with 3 amazing kids, working toward my first sprint in late Aug. I will wait anxiously to hear if you have room for another...
Diana
2007-06-26 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Hi,

I'm also training for my first sprint triathlon (2 on tap for this summer - 7/14 and 8/12), have been recording my training since I discovered the BT website (I'm loosely following the Swim-focused sprint program), but have just ventured into the forums and am wondering if I could join your group since I see it's one of the very few that appear to still be open!

I'm a 26 yo married female (no kids yet, but a really cute dog) and have come to the multisport world as a result of a knee surgery 1/9/07 and related knee problems ever since (finally have started running again gradually within the past few weeks).

Looking forward to hearing from you.
2007-06-26 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Hi everyone.  I am a good friend of Janices...she is temporarily MIA...due to getting anew job etc.  I will happliy fill in for her if you will have me.  My background

41 coming up on my 3rd anniversary of tris.  Have done a bunch of sprints one HIM aquabike, one HIM (Janice ran the 1/2 mary of it with me) and one IM.  I am the injury queen.  Single, 2 cats no kids and I am an orthopedic surgeon.  My Blog is pretty detailed so you can check out the rest there.  I struggle with my weight too.  I am a good swimmer for a triathlete a crappy swimmer for a swimmer a decent cyclist and a horrible runner.  I was a gymanst in a former life.  Feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer

2007-06-26 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
That's surely fine by me, anyway! I'll take whatever suggestions and advice-from-experience I can get! Thanks for stepping in.

You're the injury queen, yet you're also an OS? That's okay - my B.S. is in Exercise Science and I'm 6 credits from completing an M.S. in Nutrition, but I didn't escape injury and don't eat perfectly all the time, either.

I rather enjoyed perusing your blog just for the past few days, and that motivated me to start keeping a more detailed log, myself.

2007-06-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #860961

New user

California
I have just started training in an 8 week program for my first sprint. I workout 5-6 days a week but am usually not sore... I recently read that loss of appetite is a sign of "overwork"... any thoughts? I am not a bit hungry (which is very uncharacteristic for me) but continue to eat regularly to keep up the energy. Any suggestions?
2007-06-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: #861189

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
dgrzybicki - 2007-06-26 2:56 PM

I have just started training in an 8 week program for my first sprint. I workout 5-6 days a week but am usually not sore... I recently read that loss of appetite is a sign of "overwork"... any thoughts? I am not a bit hungry (which is very uncharacteristic for me) but continue to eat regularly to keep up the energy. Any suggestions?

I'm by no means an expert, and maybe more experienced tri-ers will be able to shed a bit more insight into this as it relates to tri training specifically. However, since I do know a little about this from my educational background, I can offer my 2 cents...strenuous exercise WILL initially decrease your appetite. I've also been training about 5 days per week and find that I'm often less hungry on the days when I do 2 workouts or one long workout. I make up for it, though, by being MORE hungry on my days off.

The important thing is that you ARE eating regularly to keep your energy stores up. That may be one reason why you don't feel hungry- your body is taking in enough calories to keep it going. That's a GOOD thing. I wouldn't worry too much about overtraining unless you have some of the other signs of it, such as persistent fatigue, loss of motivation, pain and soreness that won't go away, significant weight loss, etc. If you are following a plan and increasing your workouts gradually, eating a healthy, balanced diet, and are allowing your body adequate rest between workouts, you are probably fine.
2007-06-26 5:20 PM
in reply to: #860961

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
sue7013 - 2007-06-26 10:18 AM

Hi everyone.  I am a good friend of Janices...she is temporarily MIA...due to getting anew job etc.  I will happliy fill in for her if you will have me.  My background

41 coming up on my 3rd anniversary of tris.  Have done a bunch of sprints one HIM aquabike, one HIM (Janice ran the 1/2 mary of it with me) and one IM.  I am the injury queen.  Single, 2 cats no kids and I am an orthopedic surgeon.  My Blog is pretty detailed so you can check out the rest there.  I struggle with my weight too.  I am a good swimmer for a triathlete a crappy swimmer for a swimmer a decent cyclist and a horrible runner.  I was a gymanst in a former life.  Feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer

Hi Sue!

The Injury Queen AND an orthopedic surgeon... interesting combo! That first part isn't contagious is it? LOL!!! 

I don't know if you really want to volunteer to be a mentor for a group I'm in. The first one I belonged to in January - the guy contacted me one time "why aren't you logging your workouts" and never spoke to the group again (I did nothing I swear!), and now my second mentor is MIA??? Being my mentor is apparently dangerous work. 

If I haven't scared you off - it would be great to have you. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions here shortly. I have 32 days 'til my first tri.

The swimming is progressing. I decided to focus on form and breathing and forget the speed until later. That seems to be working. Tonight will be adding continuous laps with less rest between.

Riding and running are not a problem.

Oh! And 4 days 'til we get our new puppy. But I'm not excited or anything...

Leigh

2007-06-26 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Can I join this group as well? I'm not the most imaginative because my name is Margot. This is my third year doing sprint triathlons. Usually do one a year, but this year I really got the bug and have complete one with two more on the horizon.

My big goal was to decrease my time 11% -- which much to my surprise I did. Now I'd like to maintain as well as get better at open water swimming. I'm a adequate pool swimmer, but I completely panicked in the pond water during my last race. Unfortunately, not too many open water practice opportunities nearby (less than 1 hour drive).

I need to join a group because my family is tired of lending a kind ear to my ups and downs in tri's (eventhough my dad has now done 3 tri's and my mom's done 2).

The other reason I enjoy tri's is to do something for me -- other than going to the spa, everything else I do is for someone else -- husband, children, work. I'm a 37 yo corporate type (CIO) and my husband's a stay at home dad with our 9 and 6 year olds.
2007-06-26 7:32 PM
in reply to: #861607

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
ell-in-or - 2007-06-26 6:20 PM
sue7013 - 2007-06-26 10:18 AM

Hi Sue!

The Injury Queen AND an orthopedic surgeon... interesting combo! That first part isn't contagious is it? LOL!!! 

I don't know if you really want to volunteer to be a mentor for a group I'm in. The first one I belonged to in January - the guy contacted me one time "why aren't you logging your workouts" and never spoke to the group again (I did nothing I swear!), and now my second mentor is MIA??? Being my mentor is apparently dangerous work. 

If I haven't scared you off - it would be great to have you. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions here shortly. I have 32 days 'til my first tri.

The swimming is progressing. I decided to focus on form and breathing and forget the speed until later. That seems to be working. Tonight will be adding continuous laps with less rest between.

Riding and running are not a problem.

Oh! And 4 days 'til we get our new puppy. But I'm not excited or anything...

Leigh

I dont' scare easy   Good idea on the swimming.  You need to be comfortable in the wate r before you worry about speed.  gradually increase the length of your workouts.  If you can find a masters group you mayfindit helpful.  DOn't worry aboutyourskillsjust go and check it out.  You can get tips on form and someone laysout your workouts for you. 

Are you doing a sprint?  Thats so great   You will be addicted soon   Congrats on the new puppy what kind?

2007-06-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: #861716

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

kofian - 2007-06-26 8:08 PM Can I join this group as well? I'm not the most imaginative because my name is Margot. This is my third year doing sprint triathlons. Usually do one a year, but this year I really got the bug and have complete one with two more on the horizon. My big goal was to decrease my time 11% -- which much to my surprise I did. Now I'd like to maintain as well as get better at open water swimming. I'm a adequate pool swimmer, but I completely panicked in the pond water during my last race. Unfortunately, not too many open water practice opportunities nearby (less than 1 hour drive). I need to join a group because my family is tired of lending a kind ear to my ups and downs in tri's (eventhough my dad has now done 3 tri's and my mom's done 2). The other reason I enjoy tri's is to do something for me -- other than going to the spa, everything else I do is for someone else -- husband, children, work. I'm a 37 yo corporate type (CIO) and my husband's a stay at home dad with our 9 and 6 year olds.

Welcome Margot I totally get the whole doing something for yourself bit!!!  I maintain my sanity thru tris and training  I have litterally told my office "I an riding my bike for 45 minutes.  DO not call me unless someones leg is hanging off by a piece of skin.  I will call when I am done>"  

Its a bit of an addiction   HAve you considered doing something longer than a sprint?  It might give you a different challenge and focus.  Also training a bit longer may help youreach your time golas iGoodluckn a shorter race. 

2007-06-27 1:19 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Perhaps I don't want to know, but why is OW swimming a panic attack inducing event? Is it because most people only ever swim in pools? Is it all the people?   ???
2007-06-27 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I think its a comfort level thing.  I grew up on the beaches of Cape Cod and was a lifeguard and while I have a healthy respect for the ocean I have been swimming in open water all my life.  I think things like not being able to see the bottom, fear of critters, fear of I can't touch and I am so far out all come into play.  THere is a lot to be said for just spending some time at the beach and being comfortable in the water.  Not even so much siwmminglong distances in it at first just get comfortable in your surroundings.  Clearly you must take a vacation to the beach
2007-06-27 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha all,

Still got room for an old Dog. I'm a 44 yr old male from Scotland. I will log in later tonight and give a lot more details.

Mahalo till later.

2007-06-27 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

OK! (packing bag...) When are you picking me up?  

Actually, I should be good to go then. When I was a kid we used to go to Mexico every summer- a friend had a beach house there and we used to swim all the time. That and waterskiing, and various camping trips at lakes, so outdoor water is good water. My advice on lakes though, is that if you go skinny dipping, make sure the lake is big enough that the fishermen on the other side cannot see you easily with their binoculars. Oops. 

Hi Paul! (waving!)

2007-06-27 1:01 PM

New user

Alexandria, LA
I would like to join this group! I discovered this site a little too late, since my first race is on Saturday. (oops)

I'm 21 and decided to do tri's through my guy friends. I've been to so many races that I'm finally ready to do one myself. I'm underweight, but trust me I'm in perfect health. A lot of people underestimate me just becuase I'm small, but I'm out to prove I'm as strong as they are!

I rowed my second year of college (a couple of 2k's and a marathon) and under the influence of my dad and other rowers, I started road biking in december. I have no swim experience and my running definitely needs improvement. (oh and I did learn how to freestyle properly, so I can now do something other than doggie paddle...I'm still working on the breathing though)

I'm starting from scratch. zero. zip and I'm a little discouraged because I don't know many girls my age (in my area) that are into multisports (or sports at all!) The few girls around the state that participate are seasoned athletes and I'm easily intimidated. I just want to finish and I want this to be fun. I'm not in it to place or be better than anyone, I just want to be stronger. I'm going to start keeping logs of my workouts and hopefully, by september I can have a decent time for the meat pie tri.
2007-06-27 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

Hi Janice Hi Sue-

I want in on Janice's group.  Gotta get to know my local peeps.  I'm hoping its not too late...

My name is Cari, I'm 41 years young, single (twice divorced but that was a LONG time ago), no kids, 9 yrd old terrier mix named Gigi, healthy obsession with Michael Buble (canadian crooner), spend lots of time w/ family and friends, and trying to become a good salsa dancer.  This triathlon thing has got me busy right now especially since I finally finished my first sprint this past sunday.  I've got that new triathlete glow guys... I'm shining!

I was born and raised in Miami, FL, cuban heritage, survivor of hurricanes.

Got into this sport because I had always been in complete awe of triathletes.  Complete awe!  I wanted to lose weight and thought to try.  I found BT 2 years ago and have been addicted ever since.

I had participated in several 5K's, cycling events and a half marathon that I trained with TNT for.  All the while my weight was fluctuating but I never achieved a consistent weight loss that stayed off.  Plus I was constantly getting sick.  Ear infections from swimming in the pool, sinus infections, diabetes, asthma, you name it.  My obesity was already wrecking havoc with my body and was preventing me from training consistently.  The hard decision to have weight loss surgery came in Jan of '06 and the following October I had surgery.  Its going on 8 mos later and I'm minus 83 pounds and off meds.  In that time I've completed 3 5K's (two of which I ran for the first time from start to finish), 1 duathlon and my first sprint.  No regrets.

I'm looking to conquer the Key Biscayne bridge for Trilogy #2 and #3... plus some other races I've got on the sked.

Let me know.  Good luck to everyone!

Edited by carisima 2007-06-27 1:29 PM
2007-06-27 2:21 PM
in reply to: #862604

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
paul walker - 2007-06-27 11:52 AM

Aloha all,

Still got room for an old Dog. I'm a 44 yr old male from Scotland. I will log in later tonight and give a lot more details.

Mahalo till later.

Welcome to BT

2007-06-27 2:22 PM
in reply to: #862950

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
carisima - 2007-06-27 2:03 PM

Hi Janice Hi Sue-

I want in on Janice's group.  Gotta get to know my local peeps.  I'm hoping its not too late...

My name is Cari, I'm 41 years young, single (twice divorced but that was a LONG time ago), no kids, 9 yrd old terrier mix named Gigi, healthy obsession with Michael Buble (canadian crooner), spend lots of time w/ family and friends, and trying to become a good salsa dancer.  This triathlon thing has got me busy right now especially since I finally finished my first sprint this past sunday.  I've got that new triathlete glow guys... I'm shining!

I was born and raised in Miami, FL, cuban heritage, survivor of hurricanes.

Got into this sport because I had always been in complete awe of triathletes.  Complete awe!  I wanted to lose weight and thought to try.  I found BT 2 years ago and have been addicted ever since.

I had participated in several 5K's, cycling events and a half marathon that I trained with TNT for.  All the while my weight was fluctuating but I never achieved a consistent weight loss that stayed off.  Plus I was constantly getting sick.  Ear infections from swimming in the pool, sinus infections, diabetes, asthma, you name it.  My obesity was already wrecking havoc with my body and was preventing me from training consistently.  The hard decision to have weight loss surgery came in Jan of '06 and the following October I had surgery.  Its going on 8 mos later and I'm minus 83 pounds and off meds.  In that time I've completed 3 5K's (two of which I ran for the first time from start to finish), 1 duathlon and my first sprint.  No regrets.

I'm looking to conquer the Key Biscayne bridge for Trilogy #2 and #3... plus some other races I've got on the sked.

Let me know.  Good luck to everyone!

YAY CAri...you so ROCK!! and now you are a triathlete

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5