BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-06-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #866114

New user

Alexandria, LA
Subject: RE: foolproof's Group - Open
Rockets on bikes? That's what i'm talkin' about....

"Atomic batteries to power....turbines to speed..."

Ali

2007-06-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: #817421

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed
Man, where can I get one of those??? That would pick up my average MPH for sure!
2007-06-29 2:19 PM
in reply to: #866114

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

ell-in-or - 2007-06-29 1:04 PM Are we allowed to put rockets on our bikes in honor of the holiday? I didn't see anything specific in the rules... 

Ummm ... speaking as a USAT Official, I'm thinking ... no.    But, your race, your rules!

HEY KIDS!  HOW ABOUT A CHALLENGE THIS WEEKEND!?!?

Since a lot of this group is either new to the site, or newly back on the training track, LET'S ALL BE SURE TO LOG SOMETHING for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

It's been my experience (yes, even this past month when I did a Garmin dump just two days ago) that being consistent and keeping your logs updated is the best way to track your progress.  I like going back in 6 and 12 month increments to see if I've gotten faster, if my distances are longer (or if I've been able to keep the weight off for any significant amount of time ... Innocent).  It's even better now that we have 'Private Notes' for things like, "Damn, eating blue cheese stuffed filet and a whole baked potato really DOES stack on the pounds!"

SO!  I'm going to troll through all your logs this weekend, looking for ANY kind of activity blogged!  Extra gold stars if you're following a plan and hit your training volumes!!!!

Be safe, have fun and DRINK AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF WATER A DAY! 

2007-06-29 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.  Thanks Janice.  Small, attainable goals.  Me likey.

2007-06-29 4:32 PM
in reply to: #866356

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
foolproof - 2007-06-29 8:19 PM
SO!  I'm going to troll through all your logs this weekend, looking for ANY kind of activity blogged!  Extra gold stars if you're following a plan and hit your training volumes!!!!

Be safe, have fun and DRINK AT LEAST 2 LITERS OF WATER A DAY! 

Aloha, hearing you loud and clear. In bed with hot drink and runny nose but I will be dipping my toes for sure. Bought pair of jammers for swimming in off ebay so be dumping baggies in the coming week. With that and TI I expect to see me leaving the old ladies for dead in the pool. (Not literally of course)

Taken note of water remarks!

2007-06-29 7:04 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey kids hope everyone has a great weekend drink lots of water and have fun

2007-06-29 7:37 PM

New user

Alexandria, LA
RACE DAY TOMORROW!!! First one EVER. Wooooo! They mailed out the race participants list and i'm the youngest one doing the race (that is pre-registered) and there is only one other person in my age category. YAY and BOO.

So no training log tomorrow. Maybe sunday??? I don't know proper protocol for after race workouts/recovery. It's a VERY short race so it shouldn't be too hard on my body. How hard of a workout should I do???

Goals for tomorrow: Finish the swim with some dignity and NO FLATS. (only a ten mile bike, but lots of stray gravel....poo.)

Oh & Mr. Paul Walker....show your runny nose who's boss!

Edited by alirachel 2007-06-29 7:39 PM
2007-06-29 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Good luck Ali!!!! Be sure to fill out a race log afterwards and give us a full report! (I'll be looking in particular for your thoughts and experiences as a first-timer since I'll be doing my first tri ever 2 weeks from tomorrow!)

I'm running a small, hilly 5K race tomorrow at 4:30 pm (my first one since last fall, pre-knee surgery). Just looking to finish, is all, but I'm excited. I just hope my long bike ride this evening, in addition to my light run this morning and tough swim workout last night, didn't kill my legs too much!
2007-06-29 10:59 PM

New user

California
Sounds great! Good Luck Ali. I am training for my first tri so I'll be very interested in the details you share. I took today off training so I'll be hitting it hard all weekend!!! Have a great one, y'all.
Diana
2007-06-30 3:14 AM
in reply to: #866802

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

alirachel - 2007-06-30 1:37 AM RACE DAY TOMORROW!!! First one EVER. Wooooo! Oh & Mr. Paul Walker....show your runny nose who's boss!

Aloha and I am showing runny nose whos boss. Problem is it is running faster than me just now! Oh and no need for the Mister Paul is fine. Inspite of my great age when folk call me Mister I look to see where my Dad is.

Good luck in your race, I wish  you all the best and look forward to hearing all about it.

2007-06-30 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hope everyone did well in their races and are hooked on this thing called triathlon   Me I'm just slugging out the training.  I have a coach so its easy for me...I just follow a plan  

2007-06-30 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
I'm feeling like the complete nerd of the group -- compulsively filling out my logs every day. I guess the past two years I made it up in my head as I went along, my goal was always to finish with a smile, which I did for the 2 sprints I did.

Ok, this year the competitive gene kicked in and I really wanted to get better. My husband is teasing me that I just want to beat my sister at Danskin's Seattle Sprint Tri this August. So I surfed the web, found BT, and signed up for gold.

Well my exuberance is completely extinguished when I think about open water swimming (lakes and don't even mention ocean). I am a competent pool swimmer. This May at the Hammonton Sprint Tri, in Hammonton Lake, the water smelled fine, looked fine (blue-brown), great temperature, small race (200 overall, women's wave had 68 people), and I completely choked (literally and figuratively). So here I am, doing backstroke, breast stroke, more back stroke, and even walking around the buoy because there was a 'silt' bar.

From checking things out, the remedy is more practice in open water, but I don't really have options less than 1 hour away. And I suspect even if I did, I would find some other excuse.

Has anyone else gone through this and found any "magic" to get them through?

2007-07-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #867457

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

kofian - 2007-06-30 10:19 PM I'm feeling like the complete nerd of the group -- compulsively filling out my logs every day. I guess the past two years I made it up in my head as I went along, my goal was always to finish with a smile, which I did for the 2 sprints I did. Ok, this year the competitive gene kicked in and I really wanted to get better. My husband is teasing me that I just want to beat my sister at Danskin's Seattle Sprint Tri this August. So I surfed the web, found BT, and signed up for gold. Well my exuberance is completely extinguished when I think about open water swimming (lakes and don't even mention ocean). I am a competent pool swimmer. This May at the Hammonton Sprint Tri, in Hammonton Lake, the water smelled fine, looked fine (blue-brown), great temperature, small race (200 overall, women's wave had 68 people), and I completely choked (literally and figuratively). So here I am, doing backstroke, breast stroke, more back stroke, and even walking around the buoy because there was a 'silt' bar. From checking things out, the remedy is more practice in open water, but I don't really have options less than 1 hour away. And I suspect even if I did, I would find some other excuse. Has anyone else gone through this and found any "magic" to get them through?

Um on the compulsive thing..have you looked at my blogs?  Trust me you are not that complusive and NEXT YEAR when you are trying to rememebr something you will be thankful you kept detailed logs. 

Open water....Best suggestion I can give you is take your family to the beach for the weekend.  Play with your kids in the water.   swim around as much as you can.  SPEND THE WHOLE DAY IN THE WATER.  I think it is a comfort level thing.  Think about what freaks you out about open water.  Depth? critters?  Distance?  Current? Surf? If you are not swimming in a wetsuit that may help.  They give you tons of buoancy and are a safety net.  Is there possibly a lake or pond closer you can spend some time in?  How about a 50 meter pool...that may help as well. 

Hoep this helps -SMO

2007-07-01 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

kofian - 2007-07-01 3:19 AM I'm feeling like the complete nerd of the group -- compulsively filling out my logs every day.  Well my exuberance is completely extinguished when I think about open water swimming (lakes and don't even mention ocean). I am a competent pool swimmer. This May at the Hammonton Sprint Tri, in Hammonton Lake, the water smelled fine, looked fine (blue-brown), great temperature, small race (200 overall, women's wave had 68 people), and I completely choked (literally and figuratively). So here I am, doing backstroke, breast stroke, more back stroke, and even walking around the buoy because there was a 'silt' bar. From checking things out, the remedy is more practice in open water, but I don't really have options less than 1 hour away. And I suspect even if I did, I would find some other excuse. Has anyone else gone through this and found any "magic" to get them through?

Aloha

filling in your logs here is not seen in anyway as compulsive. more the norm so welcome to the weird folk.

I to have a fear of ows. For me it is the dark water. Not exactly sure what yours is but I guess similar. First of all remember what fear stands for: False Expectations APPEARING Real. When I go swimming open water I remember that all the other swimmers are coming to no harm and my fear is totally false as all fears are. Difficult to remember when doing the swim I know.

I agree that practice is the key and family fun would be awsome. I found it hard to find places to practice to but on searching the web I found some hardcore swimmers who swim open water in places I would never have thought of so that might be worth a try. another idea I have heard of is swimming in the pool in dirtied goggles! Don't know if this works but I know someone who does it.

As for waves a wave pool might be the only way to go. You look a bit strange swimming in it but I did at Blizzard Beach in Florida every other day  when on holiday.

Hope this helps in some small way.

2007-07-01 3:45 PM

New user

Alexandria, LA
A lot of people I know that race, practice in pools and rarely get the chance to do an open water practice. When they do get in the open water, they just swim free style as long as they can or when they can, and when they get tired or lose their sense of direction, they do the breast stroke and it seems to get them through the swim pretty efficiently.
2007-07-01 3:47 PM

New user

Alexandria, LA
I finished my first tri yesterday! For those of you who haven't done one yet, IT'S GREAT! Very satisfying. You're going to love it.

2007-07-01 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
congraqtulations Ali and great race report
2007-07-01 4:01 PM
in reply to: #867892

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

alirachel - 2007-07-01 9:47 PM I finished my first tri yesterday! For those of you who haven't done one yet, IT'S GREAT! Very satisfying. You're going to love it.

Aloha

That is so awsome and I am so jealous.

2007-07-01 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

kofian - 2007-06-30 7:19 PM I'm feeling like the complete nerd of the group -- compulsively filling out my logs every day. I guess the past two years I made it up in my head as I went along, my goal was always to finish with a smile, which I did for the 2 sprints I did. Ok, this year the competitive gene kicked in and I really wanted to get better. My husband is teasing me that I just want to beat my sister at Danskin's Seattle Sprint Tri this August. So I surfed the web, found BT, and signed up for gold. Well my exuberance is completely extinguished when I think about open water swimming (lakes and don't even mention ocean). I am a competent pool swimmer. This May at the Hammonton Sprint Tri, in Hammonton Lake, the water smelled fine, looked fine (blue-brown), great temperature, small race (200 overall, women's wave had 68 people), and I completely choked (literally and figuratively). So here I am, doing backstroke, breast stroke, more back stroke, and even walking around the buoy because there was a 'silt' bar. From checking things out, the remedy is more practice in open water, but I don't really have options less than 1 hour away. And I suspect even if I did, I would find some other excuse. Has anyone else gone through this and found any "magic" to get them through?

You're totally not OCD. I fill in something every single day, even if I don't work out. On rest day stop by, you'll get a review of one of our local restaurants, pics of a local event and other general nonsense. And I HAVE to have heart rate monitor stats to go with every workout. It bothered me that I couldn't wear my hrm in the pool. LOL! THAT's ocd. Ha!

I think a can now understand the water thing. If triathlons involved caves, I don't think I would ever do one. I am terrifed of small spaces. I have a huge difficulty even watching spelunkers on TV. If they have to crawl, I HAVE to change the channel. That said, I did manage to go through the Oregon Caves National Monument. For some unknown reason, I thought that I would be okay since it was as big as a large hallway. It was so completely NOT okay. The only way I got through was like Paul said. Telling myself all the way through that 2 million people a year go through it. No one died. There were 11 other people next to me that were FINE. There was an asphalt path Iwasfine. We didn't have to even stoop over. Iwasfine. There were lights on inside. Iwasfine. Iwasfine. Iwasfine.  When the guide turned off the light and played "let's pretend we're lost in here" I about freaked out and had to plug my ears and close my eyes til he was done.  This was only 1/2 mile of mild walking.  My HR was probably at 170 the entire time and I could barely breathe. I was so glad to get out of there. Thank god triathlons don't have caves.  If this is you in a lake, holy cow! I'm in awe.

As for "magic" - you swam - the backstroke is swimming. Breaststroke is swimming. You get to walk into and out of the water, so walking gets to be part of it too - even if it is on a silt bar. You got through the swim and didn't get in a boat. That is a successful swim to me. I think you did GREAT!

If I was in your swimcap, and I may be after July 28th - who knows, I would see what it was that freaked me out. What is it that bothers you the most? If it's all the bumping, get someone to swim next to you in your lane and get you used to the closeness/contact. You'll get the lane float on one side and the person on the other. If it's the dark water, close your eyes and swim with the person. That way you get bumping, dark and hard to breathe in a place you can just stand up.

You probably will have to make time to get to the lake though. I like Sue's suggestion of just hangin' out in the water with the family. Make the whole lake experience positive. Allow yourself to NOT swim the first time. Just have fun. Right now, lakes aren't associated with "fun" for you.  Get them associated with fun and you may have less of the anxiety feedback loop on race day.

I guess take all that with a grain of salt from a newbie, but sometimes the worry feeds on itself and screws you up more than your actual performance. :-

2007-07-01 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
I have to agree that now that I've started including more details in my training log I'm becoming a bit more OCD about it but that's ok! I know I'll like to look back at the details and see my progress as time goes on.

I second and third the spending time in open water as the key to getting comfortable in it. As I said earlier, I've spent a LOT of time in a lake, the ocean, and a bay (and up til last month it wasn't for the purpose of tri training) so it really doesn't bother me at all. Being able to make it the whole distance without stopping and not going out too fast are what worries me now. Though I know I CAN go the whole distance, even if it means backstroking or breaststroking it for a little while.

Anyway in other news I survived my first 5K since last fall! I even placed in my AG (ok, b/c there were only 2 of us in it, but HEY! whatever! I happily took my medal). My RR is in my log. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2007-07-01 8:20 PM
in reply to: #868062

New user

Alexandria, LA
runnerg1rl7 - 2007-07-01 7:30 PM

Anyway in other news I survived my first 5K since last fall! I even placed in my AG (ok, b/c there were only 2 of us in it, but HEY! whatever! I happily took my medal). My RR is in my log. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

YAY LAURA! way to go! i read your race report and i thought you did well!!! way to tackle the hills.

2007-07-02 8:01 AM
in reply to: #867892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

alirachel - 2007-07-01 4:47 PM I finished my first tri yesterday! For those of you who haven't done one yet, IT'S GREAT! Very satisfying. You're going to love it.

Congratulations!  Isn't it a great feeling!  I was on a "new triathlete" high for a week.  When's your next event? 

2007-07-02 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

runnerg1rl7 - 2007-07-01 8:30 PM I have to agree that now that I've started including more details in my training log I'm becoming a bit more OCD about it but that's ok! I know I'll like to look back at the details and see my progress as time goes on. I second and third the spending time in open water as the key to getting comfortable in it. As I said earlier, I've spent a LOT of time in a lake, the ocean, and a bay (and up til last month it wasn't for the purpose of tri training) so it really doesn't bother me at all. Being able to make it the whole distance without stopping and not going out too fast are what worries me now. Though I know I CAN go the whole distance, even if it means backstroking or breaststroking it for a little while. Anyway in other news I survived my first 5K since last fall! I even placed in my AG (ok, b/c there were only 2 of us in it, but HEY! whatever! I happily took my medal). My RR is in my log. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Congrats on your 5K!  Nice job placing girl.  Who cares if it was only 2 of you.  I got a plaque last Feb. for being first in my division - I didn't care that I was THE ONLY ONE in my division.  A plaque is a plaque!  When's your next event?

2007-07-02 8:38 AM
in reply to: #868426

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
carisima - 2007-07-02 9:04 AM

Congrats on your 5K!  Nice job placing girl.  Who cares if it was only 2 of you.  I got a plaque last Feb. for being first in my division - I didn't care that I was THE ONLY ONE in my division.  A plaque is a plaque!  When's your next event?

Thanks!!! Thank you to Ali, too! A lot of the 5Ks in this area are relatively small so I've got quite a collection of 1st and 2nd place AG medals....and even though there usually are only a few people in my AG I still get excited about placing. My husband also ran it with me and placed first in his AG, out of one... This was also his first race since last fall, too, because he had reconstructive shoulder surgery at the end of December.

Oh, my next event is my first tri on July 14th! It seemed so far off for so long but now that it's only 12 days away I'm both excited and nervous! Will just be a "practice" for me as my Goal tri is August 12th, but my competitive side will be wanting to do as well as I possibly can, especially since it's a small (# of people) race.

Edited by runnerg1rl7 2007-07-02 8:42 AM
2007-07-02 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

runnerg1rl7 - 2007-07-02 1:30 AM Anyway in other news I survived my first 5K since last fall! I even placed in my AG (ok, b/c there were only 2 of us in it, but HEY! whatever! I happily took my medal). !

Aloha and well done. I am so jealous but soon I hope to be floating over the raods and paths to.

Now for all to look at: Started to think about my plans and goals. I should focus on weight loss as this is where I let myself down in the past when not able to train.

So my goals here are to loose weight irrespective of training. (Yes training will aid this but should not be regarded as neccessary) So I plan to steer my weight from 254 to 215 for the end of Sept. Then looking to get to 196 for Xmas. I would look to be around 182 next summer and a little under 168 for the Xmas following. Goal weight to be around 160. I am 5' 9 heavy frame. To do this I will follow my eating rules and stay in a triing for weightloss group continuously till my gaol is achieved.

AS for training: Well currently I am injured with a hip injury. I have to conceed it may take a while it seems to repair well. I am able to swim and bike as long as it causes no pain at the moment. So my goal is to improve the swimming for the rest of the year. So I want to aim at being able to cover 2112m (half iron dist) at 2min per 100m by xmas. I will use cycling as injury permits to build aerobic base for now.

Next year I will go on to olympic training plan then move on to half iron man plan for the rest of the year. Goals will be to do novice tri and olympic distance as a maximum for the rest of the year. Looking to do a half marathon in the first half of year and looking to do a marathon at the end of the year.

2009 I will aim to complete a half Ironman about middle of year by following an Ironman plan and then continue the plan through to attempt an ironman in the second half of 2010.

Then look to improve till I can get to Kona. (I'll keep entering the draw I think.)

How does this sound as the bones of a plan ladies? Comments much appreciated.

Mahalo Paul

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5