BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-07-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: #869090

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: RE: foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed
You may want to consider leading with a primary goal around being healthy and recovering from this hip injury. Seems to me that's a limiting factor on what you can and cannot do. It's shocking how much energy the body requires just to heal. It also may help you see if 10 pounds loss /month is realistic given your situation. Is that type of loss typical for those who are in tri-ing for weight loss and fully healed?

I like that you emphasize "regardless of training" and are working to change the inputs (eating plan, etc) and the long view of 2007-2009 of your goals. Wonder if there are some other milestones you can consider . . . ie before olympic, take on a sprint distance, health permitting.

I'm clueless on hip injuries, but if your comfortable in the water, rock-on! Great opportunity to work in the safe comforts of the pool (I'll confess the details of my OWS paranoia in another post).

Just my 2 cents or pence Need to put the kids to bed. Night all.

Edited by kofian 2007-07-02 7:32 PM

2007-07-03 12:36 AM
in reply to: #817421

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

I got my puppy home on Saturday night. Here she is:

Kona More pics in my blog. I'm having SOOOOooooo much fun with her.

2007-07-03 5:43 AM
in reply to: #869718

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

kofian - 2007-07-03 1:31 AM You may want to consider leading with a primary goal around being healthy and recovering from this hip injury. Seems to me that's a limiting factor on what you can and cannot do. It's shocking how much energy the body requires just to heal. It also may help you see if 10 pounds loss /month is realistic given your situation. Is that type of loss typical for those who are in tri-ing for weight loss and fully healed? I like that you emphasize "regardless of training" and are working to change the inputs (eating plan, etc) and the long view of 2007-2009 of your goals. Wonder if there are some other milestones you can consider . . . ie before olympic, take on a sprint distance, health permitting. I'm clueless on hip injuries, but if your comfortable in the water, rock-on! Great opportunity to work in the safe comforts of the pool (I'll confess the details of my OWS paranoia in another post). Just my 2 cents or pence Need to put the kids to bed. Night all.

You raise many good thoughts and I thank you for them. I consider myself in the final stages of recovery from hip injury but remain aware I should take it easy and bear in mind there might be relapses. At the moment it is about 90% okay and I am still not running. I will leave that till physio gives me the okay.

I based the weight loss on previous experiance and reduced that to take into account I am not training so hard as I might so I believe it is achievable with careful monitoring of fuel intake and getting into the habit of following my rules till they are second nature.

I was planning to follow olympic schedule but start of with a novice tri perhaps North Berwick Novice  Leg 1: Swim 250 m Leg 2: Bike 11 km Cycle Surface: Tarmac Leg 3: Run 5 km. then Dunfermline Half Marathon end of May, Haddington Sprint Sept 2008 and a Marathon attempt december or January if there is one about or just run the 26m as a test run. I plan to follow a Halfiron training plan for back end of year and bump up the running to allow me to attempt the 26m.

By the way on re-reading your open water post I note that you may feel that not doing crawl all the way may take away from your effort. NO WAY. If you completed you have my admiration no matter how you did it. Infact you probably put in more effort than those doing crawl so be proud you did it many would have quit. You are made of stronger stuff.

Edited by paul walker 2007-07-03 5:44 AM
2007-07-03 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hi everyone Happy 4th a day early   Margot...go to the beach   Leigh congrats on the GORGEOUS puppy SO freaking CUTE!!! Paul..great goals   Hope yuor hip is feeling better   I had a stress fracture in my hip in 2005 and it is just now getting to be pain free.  Hang in there.  Ali and Laura conrats on great races !!!  Cari....hows that post race glow doing?  Diana where areyou?  I am going to a midnight 10K...I must be and idiot I swear.  Good ole BT fun and its not like I have anything better to do so off I go!!  Post swim sneezes and all

Edited by sue7013 2007-07-03 8:27 PM
2007-07-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: #870024

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
I'm glad to hear your recovery is 90% complete. Sounds like you have a reasonable plan based on your past experience. I think going for an early victory on a shorter distance can really energize you for future training sessions. Of course, I'm completely in awe; I can't squeeze even the Olympic distance into my life, so I just do sprints.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going out to Long Island NY next week for a family vacation. Think my Mom and I will practice swimming on the bay side. Just grit my teeth and do it. I had to think hard about my actual fear -- with lakes, I think it's a control thing. When I can see, I feel in control. Plus when I swim, I imbibe the water as I'm blowing bubbles underwater or when I'm getting air. I think the gag reflex is around imbibing something brown and opaque. Luckily none of my events are ocean swims, but with the ocean I've always that the cloud reflections look like sharks, ever since I was a girl. I think my Mom's support plus the fact she barely trains and is doing her second sprint tri (she's 61) with me and my sister in Seattle this August will motivate me.
2007-07-03 8:34 PM
in reply to: #871432

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
A midnight 10K? Wow- good luck! I'll definitely be zonked out by midnight, myself!

2007-07-04 7:32 AM
in reply to: #871434

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

kofian - 2007-07-03 9:32 PM I'm glad to hear your recovery is 90% complete. Sounds like you have a reasonable plan based on your past experience. I think going for an early victory on a shorter distance can really energize you for future training sessions. Of course, I'm completely in awe; I can't squeeze even the Olympic distance into my life, so I just do sprints. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going out to Long Island NY next week for a family vacation. Think my Mom and I will practice swimming on the bay side. Just grit my teeth and do it. I had to think hard about my actual fear -- with lakes, I think it's a control thing. When I can see, I feel in control. Plus when I swim, I imbibe the water as I'm blowing bubbles underwater or when I'm getting air. I think the gag reflex is around imbibing something brown and opaque. Luckily none of my events are ocean swims, but with the ocean I've always that the cloud reflections look like sharks, ever since I was a girl. I think my Mom's support plus the fact she barely trains and is doing her second sprint tri (she's 61) with me and my sister in Seattle this August will motivate me.

I read this tip for people who have trouble with the not being able to see thing once.  It said to have bright colored wrist bands on so you can see your hands.  A pair of yellow live strong bands would work perfect HAve fun with your family at the beach

2007-07-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #871641

New user

Alexandria, LA
bright colored wrist bands...GENIUS. I love this forum. I would never think of this stuff on my own lol.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!! Hope everyone got to blow up something.
2007-07-06 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Whats everyone up to?????
2007-07-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #874607

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

sue7013 - 2007-07-06 9:55 AM Whats everyone up to?????

I'm putting together my training calendar for July - Looks like my first OWS is Sunday at Blue Lake - where my tri will be. I'm testing the "no wetsuit" approach. We may ride over - it's close by, maybe about 8 miles-ish. If we ride, I can scope out where the bike/run out and back turn arounds will be and maybe hubby and I can do a brick on the course later. That'd be cool.

I'm also chasing the puppy around. She got up early this morning - about 5am, alarm is at 6:15. Bad puppy - no cookie. Now I have to sleep in relatively presentable clothing as my back porch is in full view of the neighbors - can't take the puppy outside au naturale without giving the 'hood a show. That'd be grand. "But officer, my puppy needed out right away!" OK ma'am, I'll give you a warning this time...

2007-07-07 5:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha all

I'm away till Tuesday so I will check in when I get back. Take care all.

2007-07-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: #874607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
sue7013 - 2007-07-06 12:55 PM

Whats everyone up to?????

Spending some time with friends & family in NJ over a self-created long weekend!

Getting some training in but don't have easy access to a pool and the ocean's way too cold, plus I'm trying to taper a little bit before my tri next weekend (especially since I've been having a little ITBS pain the past few days). Though I plan to train through this one (actual "goal" race is 8/12), luckily the 16-week swim-focused plan I'm following calls for the following week to be a 25% volume reduction, so it's like a built-in mini-taper. I hope that's still not overdoing it...
2007-07-08 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

Hi everyone!  Hope the weekend went well... let's gear up for a great week!  What's everyone doing next weekend, anything?  I've got a bike ride on Sunday and my #2 sprint is the following sunday.  Gotta try and not miss any workouts...

Life is good.

2007-07-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #876629

New user

Alexandria, LA
carisima - 2007-07-08 7:57 PM

Hi everyone!  Hope the weekend went well... let's gear up for a great week!  What's everyone doing next weekend, anything?  I've got a bike ride on Sunday and my #2 sprint is the following sunday.  Gotta try and not miss any workouts...

Life is good.

The rain keeps foiling my plans to bike. hopefully my dad and i can get a long ride in next weekend. summer school is putting a damper on my training. it's a whole semester of biology crammed into three weeks. I've just finished the first bio course a week and a half ago, now i'm in the second one. Three weeks doesn't leave any time to get behind on school work.

however i DO get to use the pool at the rec center for free....

by the way, does anyone here have clipless pedals??? i'd like to get them in the future, but i'm investigating first. any suggestions???
2007-07-08 10:00 PM
in reply to: #876646

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

by the way, does anyone here have clipless pedals??? i'd like to get them in the future, but i'm investigating first. any suggestions???

I have a road bike with clipless pedals. My shoes are mountain bike shoes. A few things I have found:

Get the pedals that you can clip into from both sides. It is VERY annoying to have to fiddle with flipping over the pedal until you've got the correct side to clip into. 

My mountain bike shoes are not the most stylish roadie attire. Compared to some in my cycling group, I look like a dork. However, I can get off my bike and walk without any problem. Ride a group ride and stop for coffee or a gatorade - no problem. 2nd flat and only one spare tube, with 2 miles to home? No problem. Sucks, but I can walk it. That would be awful in roadie shoes.

If you have more than one bike, or you consistently ride with an SO or very close friend, get the same pedal type as they have. That way if someone/someone's bike is non-functional, you can trade bikes, the pedals work and someone can ride to get the car. My husband and I learned this when his bike jammed its chain through its derailleur and then broke. Fortunately, I could still ride my bike and we didn't need to switch. But the option would have been nice.

When you first get the clipless pedals, make sure that they are set very loosely. This is like ski bindings. As a beginner, you want to be able to get out of them quickly and easily. Once you get used to clicking in and out, then you can start tightening them up.

Also, it is VERY likely that you will fall over the first time you use them. That's what the guy told me when I bought mine. I thought he was full of crap. I hadn't clipped in for 2 seconds when I pitched over into the grass next to the sidewalk (thank goodness). It must've been really funny, but my hubby didn't laugh. (He asked if I was OK, and then laughed later.) I would strongly suggest that if you have a flat dry grassy area, practice there first in a super easy gear. Then if you pitch over, at least it'll be in the grass. Or maybe you aren't such a klutz as me. Good luck!! You'll be surprised how much faster you'll be able to go with the clipless pedals.

Rain. Blech. Hope it clears up for ya!!

2007-07-09 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Good response Leigh!  I don't have much to add, she covered all the bases.

I too started out with clipless MB shoes on my road bike, but switched to tri shoes about a year ago.  At least I have the 'option' of attempting a running start (not this year!).

Looks like everyone is doing a bang up job prepping (and competing!!!) in their races.  Nice to see everyone having an awesome summer!

I did a lot of ocean OWS last week.  Two long (for me) swims and some general playing around.  The water was pretty 'bumpy' and I got a little seasick.  I know I was too close to shore to be very effective, but I was swimming behind my (much faster) training partner and didn't feel comfortable out past where the rollers were breaking.

My biggest swim problem is staying oxygenated.  I get winded very quickly when I swim.

My training over the next two weeks is going to be all in support of KPT's first International on the 21st.  Then I've got to buckle down for Escape.

How is everyone feeling after their workouts?  Do you go out with a specific goal (form, time) or are you just putting in the miles?  How about nutrition?  Are you planning your meals in support of training, or do you find yourself 'bonking' because you run out of fuel?  How about 'eating' during a workout or race? 

Just some discussion points.  Hope everyone's gearing up for a great week! 

2007-07-10 11:11 AM
in reply to: #876858

New user

Alexandria, LA
Janice, (or anyone)

when you get winded during swimming, what do you do? Go slower? or Change strokes? How do you recover?

I have the same problem too.
2007-07-10 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
That is precisely what I plan on working on this afternoon.  Too hot to run far, so we're headed to the pool to work on stroke techniques.  Will let you know how it goes later! 
2007-07-10 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Get winded swimming?  In a race or training?  If I am training it depends on the set I am doing.  If it is a short set I push thru it and recover on the rest.  Sometimes if I am doing something like 10x100 and I take one out too fast and get winded then I take the next one a little slower.  If I am in the middle of something longer like a 500 then I will slow for 25 or 50 yards then ramp up.

In a race I am almost ALWAYS winded the first 100-200 yards.  Adrenaline thing I guess.  Usually I am more concentrated on getting out of the crowd.  I just take more frequent breaths until I get out of traffic.  Then I ususally quiet down, slow a bit and fall into a more even pattern of breathing.  Once I get to the happy breathing place I pick it up again.  Doing a little breast stroke never killed anyone and its way easier to sight doing breast than free as well as easier to breathe.  DO what you need to do to get to the happy place  

If you can learn to breathe on both sides (bilaterally)  it will be a huge help both for breathing and for sighting in races.  A lot of people get caught up in "Oh I need to breath every____ stroke"  Forget it.  If you need to breathe TURN YOUR HEAD AND BREATHE.  every other every third every 5th whatever.  Do what works for you.  Also if you bilat breathe and get into a race with surf crashing on one side you can breathe to the opposite side and not get a snoot full of water    Hope this helps Happy training

Edited by sue7013 2007-07-10 11:30 AM
2007-07-11 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Ali,

Went to the pool yesterday and really tried to work on the 'winded' thing.  We started with a 100 and I was toast.  FWIW, KPT isn't a coach, but he's got 14 years of Ocean Rescue Life Guard and Rescue Diver experience, so I trust what he says about the swim.  He watched me swim a 50 and noted that I was kicking a lot.

I've watched a few videos that have been posted on BT, and cruised through some threads and KPT's comments supported the theme that kicking should be minimal.  There's one video of a swim competition showing the guy flutter kicking once or twice every third stroke or so.

I tried it yesterday, to concentrate on kicking enough to keep my butt up.  And I felt a lot better.  We finished with a 500, and I feel that I finished strong and had enough oxygen.  I also varied my breathing from every 3rd/bilaterally to every stroke.

Spool around some of the swim threads and see what you come up with.  And maybe try playing around with your kick.  I only know what worked for me.

Good luck!

2007-07-11 9:09 AM

New user

California
Hi Yall!
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a little over a week. My mind and body have been suffering from some type of fatigue; just plain overload with kids & school mostly. I have some catching up to do now! I worked out for the first time in a week and let me tell you how weak I feel! It's not good. On a positive note, during my rest, I ordered a few books on tri training which I hope will help me balance my diet for the amount of stress and activity I am trying to do. I still struggle with my diet...can't stay away from chocolate and am probably not eating enough protein. I just wanted to say hello to everyone and let you all know that your postings have kept me going and prevented me from agreeing with those who continually tell me that tris are just way too hard and that I'm just too old to be doing that kind of stuff! What do they know? Hope you all have a wonderful and productive day!

2007-07-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: #876858

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Hi everyone! I hope your training is going well!

This week I've been focused on preparing for my first tri this Saturday (2 days away! yowsa!). I'm training right through this one, as my "goal" race is on August 12th. Luckily, the program I'm following calls for this week to be a 25% volume reduction from last week, so it's forced me to do a mini-taper.

Yesterday I did a mini mock tri workout to test out my new tri top and shorts and prove to myself that I really can make the transitions from swimming to biking to running without keeling over! Details are in my log, but I actually felt pretty good! Getting excited for Saturday, though a little nervous too.

foolproof - 2007-07-09 7:28 AM

How is everyone feeling after their workouts?  Do you go out with a specific goal (form, time) or are you just putting in the miles?  How about nutrition?  Are you planning your meals in support of training, or do you find yourself 'bonking' because you run out of fuel?  How about 'eating' during a workout or race? 

For swimming, my goal for workouts is usually to keep my form in check. If that and my breathing rhythm are going well, then I'll try for speed. I almost always try to build my speed when I bike. Since I'm still getting back into the swing of things with running, I'm primarily interested in just getting the miles in, but hoping to be able to get my times down soon.

I do plan meals and snacks with training in mind. I'm 6 credits from finishing my master's degree in Nutrition, so this is a big thing for me. In the past, I really didn't pay as much attention to what and when I was eating with respect for training and races, and now that I am I see a HUGE difference in terms of the quality of my workouts and how I feel during and after them.
2007-07-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #880735

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

dgrzybicki - 2007-07-11 10:09 AM Hi Yall! Sorry I've been out of the loop for a little over a week. My mind and body have been suffering from some type of fatigue; just plain overload with kids & school mostly. I have some catching up to do now! I worked out for the first time in a week and let me tell you how weak I feel! It's not good. On a positive note, during my rest, I ordered a few books on tri training which I hope will help me balance my diet for the amount of stress and activity I am trying to do. I still struggle with my diet...can't stay away from chocolate and am probably not eating enough protein. I just wanted to say hello to everyone and let you all know that your postings have kept me going and prevented me from agreeing with those who continually tell me that tris are just way too hard and that I'm just too old to be doing that kind of stuff! What do they know? Hope you all have a wonderful and productive day!

ITS NOT TOO HARD.......what a load of crap...esp fromthe confines of an armchair no doubt.  If I can do and Ironman anyone can!!!  And anyone can definately do a sprint tri!!!  Try some chocolate soy drinks or sugar free pudding.  OR marathon bars.  A better bad choice and still gives you chocolate

2007-07-12 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Too old?  WTF?  I'll be 45 in September and didn't start this until I was 42.  Glad to see you back here! 

Ali - another thing on getting winded.  I'm good aerobically on the bike and run.  KPT suggested just going to the pool and practicing holding your breath underwater to build up that area of lung capacity.  I might be fomenting an Old Wives Tale here, but I'd discovered aerobic capacity in one sports discipline doesn't necessarily mean a direct translation to the other two.

And yeah, I always try and test out my clothes/nutrition prior to Race Day !  Like they say ... nuthin' new on Race Day.

Just out of curiosity ... what are people doing for  nutrition?  I was using Hammer, but KPT had stomach issues and we've recently switched to Advocare products.  I was using Nuun on Sue's suggestion, and I know she's had good luck with eGels.

I don't like the texture of gels, and I've heard that other folks use fig bars, sugar  babies etc.

Right now, we pre-workout load with a Rehydrate and take that on the bike, followed by a Post Workout Recovery drink.  Will experiment more Saturday when we 25/6 brick in anticipation of KPT's International a week from Saturday.

What are peole doing overall, or specifically?

2007-07-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: #880735

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

dgrzybicki - 2007-07-11 7:09 AM ...I  just wanted to say hello to everyone and let you all know that your postings have kept me going and prevented me from agreeing with those who continually tell me that tris are just way too hard and that I'm just too old to be doing that kind of stuff! What do they know? Hope you all have a wonderful and productive day!

GAAAHHHHHH!!  YOU MUST STOP TALKING TO MY MOTHER!!!!!  LOL!! 

Over the past year of getting into this tri stuff and losing 50 pounds, most people have been supportive. A few have continued to try to give me their negativity.  "Don't throw out your "big" clothes." "Exercising that hard will give you arthritis." (Huh???) "Marathon people are too skinny." (Who mentioned marathons???)

I try to maintain a positive response, but if they continue, I zap them and change the subject.  If they won't shut up about how hard it is, agree with them. Yes, it seems hard, but I think I can do it and "Can't" never did anything. If they STILL won't stop trying to give you their negativity, say, "I'm sorry that you can't be supportive of my goals. Let's pick a different subject to talk about. How is your daughter." And YES!!! I have said this to someone. We no longer discuss my fitness activities. And that's fine. There's other stuff to chat about.

I also zapped someone who insisted on trying to give me food not on my nutrition plan - a continuous activity for this person. After I said "no thank you", then "That does look really good, but no thanks", and finally "Sorry, my trainer says no", she tried to hand it to me anyway. I said to her "Why do you insist on trying to give me that when I have already said no very politely three times? What do I need to say to make you understand that I don't want it?" Then just looked at her waiting for a response. She walked away. (And didn't do it again for a while. )

People like this do not take hints. You just have to stand up for yourself. They may be trying to give their negativity, but you don't have to accept it. Surround yourself with people who will be at least try to be a little supportive.

My other strategy is to enthusiastically tell someone "OK, I want to tell you something and you have to say YAY!! OK?" and then I tell them I ran a new time or a new distance or finished all three of my week's workouts - whatever. I get to tell someone something that I'm just bursting with, and I get my positive feedback because they know what they're supposed to say. They seem to feel positive about it too. Do that a couple times, and it will get them in the habit of being supportive. People are better at criticizing than saying Yay You. Give them a different way to interact.  

Check out this website! Have those people tell this lady she's too old to do a tri. I hope I have half her stamina when I'm seventy-freakin'-six.    http://www.ironmanlive.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship/results/agegroupwinners/fran-arfaras-profiles-2005-womens-75-world-champion-sister-madonna-buder-of-spokane-wa-usa

Get some extra sleep, OK? Stay positive! You can do this.

Leigh

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » foolproof/Sue7013 Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5