BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-05-26 9:09 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: Runnertridu Girl Group
Quick history… I've always been active and competitive in sports.
Growing up a was a competitive gymnast placing in the top 10 in
Ohio 1981. Danced with a local Ballet Company until I retired at
age 30 - well, we all know active people don't retire… I started running,
completing eight marathons including Chicago, Boston, Cleveland,
and Twin Cities. Illness in my family (my dad) and both in-laws took
the travel and competition out of the picture for a few years.

After losing my dad and both in-laws in 2005, @ 43 I decided …
2006 was going to be my year!! I hired Rick Kattouf, a nationally
ranked duathlon competitor as my coach and have embarked
on a wild ride - literally, starting in duathlon and pursuing personal
records in running!!

March 2006, the journey began… first time out on the bike - my best friend had to catch me because I could not clip out of the new pedals. Biking got better from this shaky start… Rick put me a new training program, enhancing both speed and performance during races and workouts. It's amazing how much of a difference the proper equipment makes during both racing and training. Live and die by heart rate training. Nutrition is also a key element that has produced great results over the past season and well into 2007.

Took 1st overall in my first 2 Duathlons - went to mideast regionals - short course got 2nd age group - just missed worlds spot - refocused for OBX marathon, pr 3:14 and 9th overall there. Along w/ pr in every distance 5k - marathon

2007-Qualified for Worlds in Duathlon - in April 2007 -New PR 1:27 - 1/2 Marathon @ Indy 500- Next focus will be 1st half IM SteelHead - Michigan -- Would like to follow in the footsteps of Dan Arnett and join him in Clearwater, Fla @ 70.3 Worlds... we'll see just started swimming in Dec!! Still working on that!!

My day job is commercial insurance sales - I'm newly single and love my cats!!! I have a GREAT training partner (Roger) who keeps me on track - we have loads of fun running/biking/ he's learning to swim. Have never had a weight problem sooo can't help much in that department.

Been a co-mentor of the Leapdog Group - decided to give it a TRI!! Not an expert but will share what I've learned - hope to learn from all of you!!

Have fun training - I know, I am - Stay focused, positive, set goals and dream BIG - always something new to be learned!!

Michelle

2007-05-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #818033

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Runnertridu Girl Group
Michelle, I'd like to be your first mentee. I feel like I've been one for the last few months anyway, so would like to join in an official capacity. My background is:

My name's Jeff, aka Leapdog here on BT.

I'm 45 years old living in a north suburb of St Paul, MN with my wife of 16 yrs Linda, and our cat Abby. We recently lost our 10 yo chocolate lab Sydney to bone cancer. In my professional life, I've been an IT consultant for nearly 15 years, the last 20 months of which I've been a self employed independent contractor.

Over my one year of tri experience I managed 4 sprints, an oly and a HIM to go with my total of 7 marathons. I'm now coming up on my 2nd season of tri's and am training for IMWI in Sept of this year

I'd consider myself an upper MOP'er that likes to compete. I like to do my best, laugh at myself when I make mistakes and learn along the way.

This year my events will primarily focus on IMWI, but I plan to do some shorter distance tri's along with Grandmas marathon in Duluth, MN.

I work with a USAT certificed coach (her highness) who writes my plans.

Even though I don't share your success I completely share your drive to compete at the highest level possible and look forward to hanging in your group this summer.

Jeff
2007-05-30 4:07 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
LOL

You are too funny!!! Same crazy drive... I'm not sure that's such a good thing
Welcome on board!!
Let's keep this train rolling!!!

You're going to have to get some wall space saved for all that hardware!

Michelle
2007-06-02 1:27 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OK Jeff:

How does this weekend look for you - are you planned for the next race?? Goals set yet?
2007-06-06 8:01 AM

Hi Michelle,
Can I jump aboard this group too?
Kim
2007-06-06 10:27 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Michelle, My weekend is a little in flux at this point.

As you know, I'm training for IM in sept. Our coach scheduled in a sprint for this weekend. She did a pre-swim last weekend and got a BAD case of swimmers itch - like, go to the Dr bad. That being the case, she's considering dropping out of the event scheduled for Sunday and doing a century bike on Saturday instead.

Not sure, but I may do the century on Sat AND do the sprint on Sunday just for fun - since I'm registered anyway.

NEXT weekend is the big one. We're biking 100-120 to Duluth MN on Friday, then running G'mas marathon on Saturday. First big test of fueling/hydration and to see if I can run on dead legs. Should be a good learning experience. Goal for bike is to stay disciplined and in z1-z2 on the bike as well as gain good fueling/hydrations habits. Goal for run is to stay in z2 the entire way as not to break down my legs too badly and require a long recovery.

You must be racing soon.

Edited by leapdog 2007-06-06 10:32 AM

2007-06-06 2:38 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Kim:

Jump on board!!

Wow century then marathon!! Lokk forward to the race reports on these!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

stay in the zone!!!!
2007-06-07 3:57 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Kim:

Please give us some info - races planned - what your training has been like - what you hope for... some basic 411

Thanks!

2007-06-10 6:25 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Latest exploits.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Went into the race with no expectations. I think sometimes that's best. I was able to function after riding 100+ so was pretty pleased.
2007-06-13 10:38 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All:

Doing first Oly Tri - Sunday
Any tips for getting out of the wet suit fast???

Ready to race - no taper - on somewhat tired legs - riding last hard bike ride today...

2007-06-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #842550

Marble Falls, TX
Would you be opposed to a newbie in your group?

My name is Denise. I couldn't help but notice all the loss you lived thru in 2005. I too lost my dad and father in law to cancers in 2005 within 3 weeks of each other. It was a difficult time. Also I love how competative you are and although I'm no where near that level I'd like to aspire to be, and believe that training with those who work harder and faster will eventually pay off.

I am 46 and have just completed my first Sprint Tri (Danskin) after two weeks training (it was a last minute decision). You can see my results on the race log page.

I have been married to the my DH for 26 years as of yesterday. We have two grown daughters ages 23 and 22, a dog my husband wishes to be one day :-) and a cat.

Through high school and college I was a competative swimmer but not at top levels and have helped coach a small swim team where I learned I was a better cheerleader than a coach. I was suprised when I started training for the Danskin that I hadn't lost much of my swimming ability. Ended up placing 57th out of 2601 overall in the swimming. I was a bit shocked.

I have enjoyed water skiing (slolom) and a little barefooting as my kids were growing up. This is what we did togerther as a famity unit.

I took up running about 3 years ago to try and lose some weight, lost about 5 lbs. but can't seem to drop much more even when training for a marathon, I no longer worry about the weight so it's not a concern anymore. I run local races usually in the Austin area. Have done 1 5K a couple marathon relays on the 4th of July (yikes it's hot in Texas in July), two half marathons, 1 ten miler, and my last feat was the Austin Marathon which I completed in 4:11:16 and took second place in the masters, filly (at least 140lbs.) division, did my training pretty much on my own and not enough (no one to push me). Would like to do another and take off the 11 minutes I need to in order to qualify for Boston, but have since discovered I have plantar fibromatosis. This is what led me to thinking about triathloning, maybe a little less stress on the feet for a short time.

My biking skills need some (hahaha alot) of work. If you decide to take me on this is where I'll need the most help 1st and then 2nd building leg stamina from the bike to the run. My legs were a bit tired going into the run after only a 12 mile ride, I'm ashamed to say. Probably need a new bike too.

Hope you'll consider me for your group and be the push I need. Good luck on your race Sunday!

Denise

Edited by drhodes2 2007-06-13 11:38 AM

2007-06-13 12:42 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome!! Denise - would love to have you join our happy band!! You've got natural talent & endurance -It seems we've both had some bad losses, training is a huge help - It's great to focus on something - not think about anything else!!

Let us know what races you are planning -I'll take a look at you logs too!! Been biking for 1year and 1/2 - lovin' it!!

Only dumb questions are the ones not asked!!

BT is a fantastic resource use all of it!!

Michelle
2007-06-13 12:51 PM
in reply to: #842822

Marble Falls, TX
So glad to be on board. Looking forward to whatever you suggest for improvement.

Debating between Iron Girl Sprint http://www.irongirltexas.com/07irving/index-irving.html, and a very local race in my own town the Marble Falls Triathlon. The run portion of this race actually goes right by my house. http://www.rogersoler.com/Race_Info/fallsform07.pdf Both of these are on the same day (july 22)

The Marble Falls race will be more challenging then the last simply because the bike portion is longer and more hilly then the Danskin. Don't know if I should consider a better bike before or not? With more bricking my bike and runs together I can probably build enough stamina to at least slowly run the full 4.1 miles. Had to walk part of Danskin.

Any suggestions?

I'll be in Cabo on vacation for a week (June 21 -28) so will have to do treadmill and stationary bike at the resort gym. Celebrating my youngest daughters graduation from Texas Tech!!!

Denise

Edited by drhodes2 2007-06-13 1:04 PM
2007-06-13 1:15 PM

Marble Falls, TX
Just realized the Marble Falls Tri is considered and Oly distance. I guess due to the bike segment? Isn't Oly distance a 10K run?
2007-06-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: #842903

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Hey Denise.

I too haven't been biking all that long, but have found that the best way to build biking endurance is to BIKE LOTS. There're really no replacement for time in the saddle for building leg strength and endurance.

If you're going to be buying a bike, it'd be best to get it and get some time in the saddle once you get back from vacation.

There's nothing like having a new bike. Hardest part about getting a new bike is deciding which one to buy and how much you want to spend. Don't underestimate how long that process can take. I'd recommend incorporating shoes/pedals into the new purchase as well - you'll like 'em.

Oly distance run is a 10k, correct.

Also, to smooth your transition from bike to run in a race, I'd recommend practicing doing a little running after nearly every bike ride. You don't have to run far - even a half mile or a mile will work. You'll soon get used to the feeling and know better what to expect on race day.

Welcome aboard!

2007-06-16 12:28 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hey Denise,

Jeff is right on all counts!! Buying a bike is a tough challenge -then there's the tri vs road - there are soo many options it can get crazy - plus then $$ you have to spend come into play... I'm a big believer in loving the bike before spending tons of cash.

Take your time - ride alot - time in the saddle will make you faster - no short cuts!! Build a solid base... have fun!!

Michelle

2007-06-17 7:22 AM

Marble Falls, TX
I have decided to keep using my older, heavy hybrid bike and see if I can't get it adjusted a tad to fit me better. My back has been getting pretty sore by the end of only 12 miles. Not sure if this is just beginners training pain or if the bike just doesn't fit well. I will probably have to test ride a bunch before I'm ready to lay down the $$$ for a new one. Trying to find a bike shop with some riding groups I can join in on and rent a bike for the day, checking out as many as possible. Huge learning curve ahead I think.

Micelle isn't your race today? Let us know how it goes.
2007-06-17 7:24 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Here' my latest expoit.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Michelle, let us know how your race went.
2007-06-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #847365

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Denise,

I think your approach to this tri is a valid one. There are all styles of bikes in sprint tri's so your hybrid will fit right into the mix.

I'd bet your back soreness is due to improper fit, or improper fitNESS. Keep getting the bike miles in and your fitness will incrementally improve.

Embrace the bike learning curve. Work with a few different bike shops and ping your biking friends. By the time you're ready to buy you'll be one educated consumer.

Have a great Sunday!

Jeff

2007-06-17 1:33 PM
in reply to: #847369

Marble Falls, TX
leapdog - 2007-06-17 7:36 AM

I'd bet your back soreness is due to improper fit, or improper fitNESS.

I'm just trying to figure out how to know one from the other? How long do I give the back soreness before I go have have it asjusted? Or do I just have it adjusted and go from there? With no local bike shops near me, it's an hour drive one way just to get to one.
2007-06-17 1:43 PM

Marble Falls, TX
Jeff,

Just checked out your race. OMGosh! You make me tired just reading of your exploits. Right now I'd be happy just being able to stay on the bike for about 1/4 of the 112 miles. When's your IM?

Denise

2007-06-17 2:30 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Leap you are AWESOME... you'll be soooo ready come IM day!! It'll be easy!!!

Yes, my first Oly went great!! Did not drown - also did not start my watch!! Have no clue what my times were - doing a race report!! It will follow - Got 1st in 40-44 Age Group - Ran down the lead Master women in mile 5... love that run!! Waiting for splits to get posted...will include in the full report!

Michelle

2007-06-17 9:12 PM
in reply to: #847553

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Denise,

I'd say your best bet is going to a bike shop and get a proper fitting. I think you could fiddle around with it yourself by finding a web article on fitting but I have chosen not to go that route. Get fitted first, then we'll work on getting you fit.

Thx for the props with respect to my "epic" training weekend. It was actually alot of fun. I'm no more sore than I've ever been for any other marathon so I'm hoping I can get back training right away.

2007-06-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: #847583

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Michelle,

I knew your Oly would be great - you are so darn fast I can just see you running down the lead Masters woman.

How'd the wetsuit exit treat you? Any problems?

Thx for the training props. There's no way IM will be easy, but I've got to tell you I got a big boost of confidence this weekend. I biked the 112 in 90 degree heat, and the run was done in the heat/humidity as well. I stuck to the HR training zones and all went as planned. I practiced my pre swim and on the bike fueling so I'm hoping they're pretty dialed in.

I've got 11 weeks to get ready to put the events back-to-back-to-back. Now that'll be fun!

Oh, Denise I'm doing IM Madison on Sept 9th.

Have a great evening folks and I'll check in with you next week.

Jeff
2007-06-17 9:27 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
LOL it did get stuck on the left foot - just thought of you - words of wisedom - don't panic - it did work!!

Zones work!! GREAT JOB!

still waiting to get splits - really would like to see -placing after swim and bike.

Hitting the bed - really tired!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  

of 13