BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2007-10-02 6:05 PM
in reply to: #987682

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o)
Suzy, I am glad that technique worked for you there. i was reading a race report of this race. Its the Greenbay du...right? Seemed like a hilly course. a 7:12? I might run that going downhill! LOL.

I think you are pretty quick and probably need to work on your stamina at that distance/pace right?

30 F was my limit, but I will go to 20 now. Need that winter riding!

Got me some shiny fenders and I'm good to go! (say that in your best redneck accent)

2007-10-02 7:42 PM
in reply to: #988531

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I read tripletmom1's Green Bay report and she said it was hilly, it did not seem that way to me, but I had total GPS failure (I know you are saying I should be using Timex!) so I did not get any of the elevation details. My reports up if you want the full story.

Running is no problem for me, but I want to strengthen my biking while training for Boston.  Kathy G. posted some great work outs in the forum question I threw out to the group.  I don't know of any groups that ride in the winter in Madison, but I could take my bike to a spinning class and use the trainer with some Spinerval DVDs.  What do you think of that?

2007-10-05 10:43 AM
in reply to: #821775

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Happy Friday all.... I have not posted much lately - nor been exercising due to this darn hernia.

Feeling a bit blue reading all the training you're doing

No pity party but just feeling blah

2007-10-10 8:38 PM

User image

Champion

Jeanne

I saw your log about setting up your trainer.  I have never used one, but we have one.  How do you set it up? how do you choose your work-outs?  Strengthening my biking is a big focal point for the upcoming months.

Suzy 

Edited by SSMinnow 2007-10-10 8:39 PM
2007-10-11 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1001876

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Suzy, its pretty easy to set the trainer up. One thing is important, make sure your rear skewer is large. like an old metal one, plastic isn't going to cut it.

What kind of trainer do you have?
Here is a link to some Kurt Kinetic trainers...http://www.kurtkinetic.com/manuals.php

Let me know if you have any questions after looking at that. I think their photos might be better than anything I can describe.

(the thingy goes in the other thingy and then you turn the knob on the right)

Start wth this and we will walk you through the other steps...workouts to come!
2007-10-16 6:54 AM

User image

Champion

Jeanne (and all)

I have not set my trainer up yet.  I am hanging on to riding outside as long as possible! I am going to have aerobars installed on my road bike so that I can get used to the position over the winter.  Also thinking of getting a fitting for a new tri bike. 

Someone in the forums posted these cadence guidelines and I wanted your thoughts on them.  They seemed incorrect to me, but what do I know.

CADENCE on the other hand is a great indication. 

Uphill: Under 70 -  Steep hills for me are usually 30rpm 

Relaxed: 70-80rpm

moderate pace 80-90rpm

Race pace 90-100rpm

absolute sprint pace 100+rpm

2007-10-16 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1009794

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
SSMinnow - 2007-10-16 7:54 AM

Jeanne (and all)

I have not set my trainer up yet.  I am hanging on to riding outside as long as possible! I am going to have aerobars installed on my road bike so that I can get used to the position over the winter.  Also thinking of getting a fitting for a new tri bike. 

>

I had to set up the trainer the other night, (40 & raining) but am still riding out side. I have all the gear, so I really should still ride outstide. ;o)

I dropped my aerobars so i can ride them on the trainer all winter in the more agressive position.

I think its a good idea to look around for a bike in the off season. You should do some research about "smaller" bikes for women.

Someone in the forums posted these cadence guidelines and I wanted your thoughts on them.  They seemed incorrect to me, but what do I know.

CADENCE on the other hand is a great indication. 

Uphill: Under 70 -  Steep hills for me are usually 30rpm 

Relaxed: 70-80rpm

moderate pace 80-90rpm

Race pace 90-100rpm

absolute sprint pace 100+rpm

Those numbers are a little exreme, to me. Like are you going to have a cheat sheet on you when you are riding? NO, I don't think so. Also, if you are in a race and can't go over 85, well, you can't go over 85 and that's ok. The sprinting pace sounds correct. When I do sprints I'm up around 120 RPM (for 20 seconds or so)

When riding, you want the highest possible cadence that is best for YOU. Some people, like my friend Michele, grind out everything at a low cadence. I don't understand it, but it works for her.

I'm comfortable around 85-90 for flats and find that I really have to work at getting the cadence over 90, but feel better when I do that. So that is something I am going to work on over the winter. For climbing, the steep hills are going to change when you get stronger overall, so don't worry that you are at a 30 RPM. On the trainer, you don't want to go below 55. Keep climbing between 55-65 RPM and get your legs used to that kind of work. This is more aerobic, but that is what we want to train your body to do, hit these hills and be able to "dance" or Fly up them with a higher cadence, and that they don;t wreck your aerobic engine.

That doesn't mean, put it in the smallest cog in back and grind out your legs to hit 55 RPM, if you just can't maintain that for a minute, shift up and work at it until you can do it for a minute. Then do intervals like that. This will get you stronger for climbing.

I *think* I answered most questions...let me know if you have any others.
2007-10-30 9:25 PM

User image

San Antonio, TX
Hi Everyone,
Been kind of quiet in here. I am sure Dave is too busy with Halloween to post. Hope the recovery is going well, Dave. I plan on entering a 10K in December. Any advice on training? Should I keep doing tri workouts or focus more on running only? Run Distances or try to do shorter runs faster? I am running out of daylight on the weekdays for long runs or bikes. Should I run on the treadmill at the gym?

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the fall. Happy Halloween.

Lynn
2007-10-30 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1030784

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Howdy Lynn! If you haven't stopped by my blog I have a few pics up from the dry run - not bad... And thank you! for the well wishes on my recovery! I'm getting close and plan to start my off season training on the 3rd - not sure what I'll be doing yet but after 2 months and 10 lbs(!) anything will be a help! - i guess for now just longish slow distances and try to build endurance back up.

HAppyy Halloween Indeed!

2007-11-03 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
crickets..... I hear Crickets... - Hope everyone is well. Started back today! Happy Weekend all!
2007-11-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1036030

User image

Champion
Great news Dave!!  So what did you do for your kick-off? Swim 5,000?

2007-11-07 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1036030

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Great news dave!

Sorry I have been away for a while. My husband did ironman florida last saturday. Today i did a "hotel room workout" because the 4 machines at our hotel in Orlando were full at 6 pm. (which is ultimately a good thing).

If anyone travels, this might work for you: 30 minutes total.
run in place 1 minute high knees
3 x 20 squats DONT CHEAT-really squat!
between each set run in place (high knees)
lunges, step back and get your back leg to 90 degrees without your front knee going over your toes. run in place between each set high knees
lunges to sides, 3 x 20 alternating left and right, run in place between each set high knees
3 x 20 plyometric jumps, jump as high as you can jump...as big as your hotel room will let you go...move the furniture if you have to. I could get 10 jumps in wall to wall. run in place between each set high knees
push ups 3 x 15 - 20, knee or toes. run in place 1 minute high knees each set
runners cunches 3 x 20, lie on back, opposite knee to elbow, run in place 1 minute high knees each set
Planks, 3 x 20 seconds, run in place high knees after all 3 sets *note this is different* then:
superman 3 x 20 seconds, run in place high knees after all 3 sets *note this is different* then:
crunches 3 x 20 reps, run in place high knees after all 3 sets *note this is different* then:

you did it! whoo hoo. this got my heart rate up and got me doing things i normally don't do for a workout. maybe I should travel more? (um, no)
2007-11-07 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1030784

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
txmarm23 - 2007-10-30 10:25 PM

Hi Everyone,
Been kind of quiet in here. I am sure Dave is too busy with Halloween to post. Hope the recovery is going well, Dave. I plan on entering a 10K in December. Any advice on training? Should I keep doing tri workouts or focus more on running only? Run Distances or try to do shorter runs faster? I am running out of daylight on the weekdays for long runs or bikes. Should I run on the treadmill at the gym?

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the fall. Happy Halloween.

Lynn

Hey Lynn, great to hear that you are entering a 10k! (good way to fight the holiday bulge) what is the level of running you are doing now? If you can run the distance, then I wouldn't really change anything, unless you want to go faster and get a PR. If you can't run 6.2 miles or run for an hour then we need to get you to that first.

Tell me where you are in your training and we can come up with a plan.
2007-11-08 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1042810

User image

San Antonio, TX
Hi Jeanne:
Good to hear from you. Today I ran 5.2 in 1:05 on the trails by my house. I am getting consistantly faster on this route. On Sat. I ran on the track. Tried a sprint for 1 mile and did it in 10:15 Then I ran 5 miles on the track in 1:06. So I feel I will make the distance just would like to be faster. The bike has a flat so I haven't been riding much. I should have time to fix it this weekend. I don't know if I should mostly run or keep doing multisport activities.

Thanks,
Lynn
2007-11-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1043768

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Hey Lynn, Good fo you that you are seeing improvements! I too, think the distance is very doable for you! OK, this is going to be a long winded answer:

A couple of things: cross training is great, it allows you to increase your aerobic base without all the pounding on the legs. (since your bike has a flat....ahem, go get that fixed! Actually, you should KNOW how to fix it...there is an article and video on this site about changing a tube. Have a shop teach you and make sure the tire itself is checked too for any cuts or wear.)

Ok, back to what I was saying before, Cross training is great, but the only way to get better at running, is to RUN. And the only way to run faster is to well, RUN FASTER! Which you have been doing. I think you are on the right track, and if you have some time before the 10k (december right?) you should do some hill repeats.

Find a hill that you can see the top of (like no more than 150 yards) and run it at your regular pace, run for another minute and then go back down, run it again, at regular pace...repeat for a total of 3 - 5 times (based on how you feel). This should be after a 10-15 minute warm up. Don't do these in a long run, but something more like 3 miles. This will help immensly with the 10k and being able to have strength in your legs. This will also make you a little faster. BUT not a whole heck of a lot faster. We just don't have the time to build up speed.

Do this once a week. (you can also do this on a treadmill)

Another way to "get faster" with running is to do shorter bursts of higher intesity running within a run. Kind of like the hill repeats, but on the track. After a mile warmup (at a 12 minute pace, run 4 x 200 yards with 200 yards of AR (active recovery = easy jogging). time your first 200 and try to keep them all at the same pace and time. Like about 1 - 1:15 for each 200. That will be faster than the 10:15 pace you ran...but its supposed to be faster, its shorter and you are getting rest in between.

You could do these in place of the hill repeats, if there are no hills by you. If the times I listed are too fast, then just slow it down on the warm up and recovery jogging, but push yourself on the intervals.

200 yards is a good distance to do this because its a "long sprint" not so fast that you are anaerobic, but this is at the high end of your aerobic capability.

Maybe Suzy can also chime in on some running workouts, since she is our resident runner, I just play one on TV (LOL!) (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last night)

The really short answer is I would run 4 days a week. Long run, short recovery run, speed or hill work and a mid distance run with some pick ups or tempo work. then bike or swim the other 2 days. Or run 3 days and bike/swim the other 3.

Happy running!
2007-11-15 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Hey Gang, since its dark here at like 2:30 (when its cloudy, it truly is) I have been riding on my trainer...(sigh)

I had a great workout last night and have joined Master's swimming. Tuesday was my first workout and I got my booty kicked! The whole workout was 3900 yards. 3900 YARDS?! I was in the "slow" lane and we only got 2700 done. I wasn't wiped, but that was about my limit. I haven't been swimming much and I paid for it. Today is the next workout. i am going in prepared with some gel and water to make it thorugh the workout.

I did a brick last night and surprised myself, 1:15 on the bike and a 30 minute run. I have been battling a head cold for the past week and haven;t been running or doing much of anything for that matter except swimming. I like the cleansing effect of chlorine on a head cold!

Hope everyone is enjoying the fall!

2007-11-15 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1054703

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Sounds Great Jeanne - all except for the head cold thing... pity the person behind you in the lane!

I'd be interested in the sets they are having you do... - no opportunity for masters here - doesn't fit my schedule

Very jazzed about almost being fully recovered from surgery and getting back into it. Imported a off season plan for 20 weeks. I need the motivation of seeing the work I want to be doing and it gets me off my butt.

Indeed .... Hope everyone is well!

2007-11-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1054728

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Dave, good to hear that you are almost back on track with your recovery.

last night at masters we didn't get through the whole set again, and only got 2700 yards completed. (ugh!) I feel it today. Not everyone there is a triathlete, about 7-10 out of 20-25? not everyone goes to all practices. There is a masters group that is 5 minutes away from my house, but its at 6AM 3x a week! I would drown. This one is 6-7:15PM and its 5 times a week! So, i think its a better deal. and I know a lot of the people already.

For swim workouts, the US Masters swimming has a forum (quite like this one) that is full of workouts! Here is the link:
http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96&page=3&order=desc
(I think you have to register, but its free. )
I also like the book, Workouts in a Binder. Those have some good swim workouts.

So swimming last night: (4300)
WU 200 swim, 200 back, 200 IM (yeah right)
8 x 75 50 drill 25 swim
5 x 200 (2:40...2:30...etc.) I don;t know what that means, we just swam....
5 x 200 (2:30 ...2:25...etc. )
4 x 50 fly (there was other times written, but I dont remember what it was)
4 x 50 back
4 x 50 breast
4 x 50 free
300 CD

I had a Powergel and water, but I still cramped up pretty badly. i remember my friend mentioning magnesieum instead of sodium. I will take that today before practice.

Ciao!
2007-11-23 10:39 AM

User image

Champion

Hi All

I did my first ever ride on a trainer using the Spinverals Sweating Like Buckets Interval work out.  It went through a series of interval work outs using mainly the big wheel.

When doing standing sprints, I had a very noticeable thud  or slip in the pedal stroke.  Can someone explain what that is and how to improve myself to get rid of it.

I also practiced some one legged drills and have a pause on my stroke at the very top, especially on the left side.  How do I get rid of that? practice?

As a side note, this video was way harder than any ride I have ever done so I am assuming big benefits if I do this once or twice a week.

Happy Thanksgiving

Suzy 

2007-11-29 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1065932

User image

Regular
SSMinnow - 2007-11-23 10:39 AM

Hi All

I did my first ever ride on a trainer using the Spinverals Sweating Like Buckets Interval work out.  It went through a series of interval work outs using mainly the big wheel.

When doing standing sprints, I had a very noticeable thud  or slip in the pedal stroke.  Can someone explain what that is and how to improve myself to get rid of it.

I also practiced some one legged drills and have a pause on my stroke at the very top, especially on the left side.  How do I get rid of that? practice?

As a side note, this video was way harder than any ride I have ever done so I am assuming big benefits if I do this once or twice a week.

Happy Thanksgiving

Suzy 

(SORRY, I didn't realize this was my Hubbys login....It's Jeanne posting)

hi Suzy, Sorry for the long delay. I have been traveling, eating turkey and now have some sort of unpleasant stomach virus.

I love Spinervals, and have most of the set, but can rarely do them at the cog combinations they want me to do. i do what is comfortable and work my way up to what combinations they are doing over a couple of months. Chris Carmichael's DVD's are also excellent training tools.

The one legged drills are very good for you if you found a "pause" in your stroke. What you really need to do is focus on the "circular" motion of the stroke. If you have to back off on the gearing, then do it to get the correct muscles firing the right way. Where you really have to engage new muscles and think about it is exactly where you are having trouble, in the top of your pedal stroke, which will manifest in a standing climb (I have the same issues, but more like 6 o'clock to 9-10 o'clock).

SO that being said, focus on the hamstring and hip pulling your foot up (from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock. Most people focus on the quads pushing on the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock area, but your legs will become out of balance, and you will tire out when climbing.

Also check your trainer set up. If its still slipping and you have figured out it's not YOU, it could be your tires, or that there isn;t enough pressure on the wheel for the force you are putting out.

Also, to everyone, always take all pressure off the bike tire when not in use. you will wear out the spring on your trainer.

Hope this helps!

Edited by HammerheadNY 2007-11-29 11:59 AM
2007-11-30 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Hi everyone! I played hooky today and went for a bike ride with my friends. 30 miles. It was 39 degrees out! My toes got cold around the 2 hour mark... we were out for 2:20 total. We climbed a BIG hill (small mountain) and that took a while, but it was fun!

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great thanksgiving! Post updates people! Jeeze!

2007-12-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1077265

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
So here's what I've been thinking - last season was first season - only did 1 sprint but trained all summer.... - chickened out in the rain in Pleasant Prairie - DNS'd - was really bummed... then came the hernia deal - I'm healed enough to do most anything now - sorta anxious about doing leg work in the gym but we will see.... But in that time  (August until now) I've packed on a whopping 15 lbs!
This is very discouraging.
Now I am back at it,  started my 20 week off season plan today.... I need to burn fat and build base, fortunately those appear to be compatible goals.. Slow and steady and long duration sessions seem to be the key. That and proper nutrition
So thats where I am....
2007-12-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1078129

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Dave, I can totally empathize. Last season (2006) was going to be my big breakout season, but I was really sick most of the season. Its a god thing, because I needed the rest to re-energize my mind. i was already burnt out in my 2 seasons of doing this, but after losing the ability to train and race for a while really lit my fire. I treat each training session as a gift and try to enjoy the entire process. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Don't worry about DNS a race due to rain/weather. This sport is about confidence, if you didn't feel confident, then you shouldn't race. (like pouring rain, xtreme cold etc..) BUT if you are just scared because you are in new territory, then you have to try it. You never know what you are capable of if you dont at least start. Trust me, racing in the rain is fun! Cold and rainy? Nope. If I can get hypothermia, I'm outta here!

So, for you comming back after hernia surgery, I would wait on leg work for now....If you ARE going to do it, just do your own body weight with squats and lunges. Lots of high reps and low or no weight. I would stay away from machines, I find that they put me in too extreme of a position and I am using my abs a lot. I mean , you use them when doing lunges and squats, but you are under control. (this is just my opinion...I'm not a trainer)

My friend who has hernia surgery last year, is a masoner/construction and went back to work (dumb) and got on his bike right away to get back in shape. No running, though.

I'm going to go out for a long run in 18 degree weather with snow!

Have a great day with whatever you do!
2007-12-03 10:30 AM

User image

San Antonio, TX
Hello Everyone:
Well I seem to be challenged when it comes to division I guess. I got it stuck in my head that the 4X200 repeats Jeanne suggested were the whole way around the track even though I know that 4 laps is a mile. So I was very discouraged when I could not do the laps on 1 or 1:15. Then I thought wow I can't believe Jeanne thinks I should run a 4 min. mile pace on a 200 because I doubt I could even do it on a 40 yd dash. Then my friend ran with me on the track this weekend and pointed out that I was doing 4X400 Duh. The good news is I kept them all under 2 minutes so I am on the pace Jeanne suggested. The back of my legs are sore though and I was much slower on my long run yesterday. I think I will take it easy this week: spin class Tues., 3 mile run Wed, swim on Thursday then the 10K race is Saturday morning. I am hoping for 1:14. That time would be my best 5K doubled. I hope it is cool, it was hot here yesterday when I ran. I seem to run faster when it is cool. Still can't believe I can run these distances at all. So glad I am doing it.

Hope everyone is well.

Lynn
2007-12-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1080373

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
That's awesome Lynn! 1:14 would be great! Looking forward to your race report....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeanneRoth's Group - CLOSED! ;o) Rss Feed  

of 12