General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Book Review: ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-15 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Book Review: ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer
OK, you've heard me yammer on and on about this book, so I figured I'd take the time to get into more detail as to why I can't say enough about it. First off, I am a terrible runner. Scratch that, used to be a terrible runner. I'm now a slow, mediocre runner that is making constant improvement. I'm a big guy and as I approached the '2 mile limit' in my running, I would end my runs with discomfort in my knees, shins and calves. Plus, I would bounce a lot and I felt like I was wasting so much energy. I just had no idea what to fix or how to do it. In the back of my Total Immersion "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" book, Terry mentioned the book "ChiRunning" as a book that used the same basic priciples of TI swimming, but applied to running. I've done well with the TI concepts, so I figured I'd give it a try.

It is a very good read and even if you don't apply any of the running techniques to your running, you can still learn a lot. The author is an Ultra-Distance runner, so I figured if anyone would know anything about injury free endurance running, he would be a good person to start with. The book starts with drawing a distinction between conventional Power Running and ChiRunning. The biggest difference is that with ChiRunning, your power should come from your core and your extremeties should be relaxed. In chinese medicine, Chi is the energy source that animates all things. Maintaining a relaxed state allows your chi to flow from your core to your extremeties. Any tenseness at a joint or in a limb, will inhibit the flow of chi.

The concept of "Big muscles for big work" is mentioned early on (he calls main idea 'Cotton and Steel'). In essence, using your large core torso and upper leg muscles to lift your lower legs makes a lot of sense. The smallest muscles in your legs (the ones on your shins) are usually used for propulsion, hence shin splints. A powerful concept as far as I was concerned. He also discusses body position (the lean) with regard to foot strike. Typically, a runner will land their foot in front of their center of gravity. This does 2 bad things, it uses your leg as a brake which slows you down and it turns you knee into a shock absorber. By leaning forward from your ankles, your feet land behind your center of gravity and are no longer braking you. Plus, it lets you knee be a swing joint, not a shock absorber.

Danny goes on to discuss cadence (cyclist should have a good grasp on that concept) and how you should run at the same cadence, but change your stride length to change your speed. Stride length is changed by leaning your body. He mentions that when your cadence is kept by your arms, your feet will follow. Surprisingly enough, his optimum cadence is 90...

Those are the biggest mindset changes that helped me immensely. There are a lot of details that I've left out, but for $14.00, it's well worth adding it to your library. Other chapters cover form focuses, body sensing, gravity assisted running (yep, you read that correctly), the process of growth, racing topics, stretching and getting the most chi from your food.

Danny got me to think about my cycling in this way too. Appropriate muscles and body position combined for the desired result - relaxed legs and arms, power from the core, etc. In fact, in order to learn more about using my chi, I start Tai Chi lessons next week If anyone has any other questions about the book, please let me know. I'd be glad to answer them as best as I can. www.chirunning.com is also a nice reference with it's own forum.

-Frank

ChiRunning - A revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
Danny Dreyer
Published by Simon and Schuster, New York
ISBN# 0-7432-5144-X

2004-09-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: #62246

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Book Review: ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer

Thanks for the recommendation Frank.  Makes me feel better about purchasing last weekend!!!  I haven't really gotten into it yet, but am hoping to get a few helps (ok - A LOT!) to incorporate into my training.

Gary

2004-09-16 12:10 PM

New user

Thanks for the suggestion. The author, Danny Dreyer, is doing a workshop in my town next month. I think I'll go. I feel like I have already naturally integrated some of the principals of ChiRunning. But I would still like to improve.
2004-09-16 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Glad to help. I was so pleased with the progress I made with TI swimming that when Terry had a recommendation for ChiRunning in the back of his book, I couldn't pass up the chance to get it. My knees and shins are happy that I did In fact, within the first week or really putting it all together, I dropped over a minute of my avg mile pace (16 and change from almost 18) and had my first pain free (during and after) 2 mile run. I just can't say enough good stuff about it.

-Frank
2004-09-22 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Manchester, Connecticut
I got the book a couple of weeks ago and have tried to implement the running style. I seems to be able to run well while I can concentrate on my form. I feel much better, not plodding along. I remember being able to glide along running when I was in high school many years ago, and I think this style of running will help me regain that feeling. I'm really glad I bought the book, but I wonder if the DVD would be helpful too. When any of you guy's try his workshop please update your review, so I can see if it would be worthwhile to go to one in 2005.
2004-09-23 2:18 PM

User image

Bryan, TX
I've been reading this book too. Pretty good. I've incorporated some of the techniques and they do work.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Book Review: ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer Rss Feed