United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 52s
Overall Rank = 372/506
Age Group = clydes
Age Group Rank = 22/41
Pre-race routine:

up at 4am, bagel w/peanut butter, let the dog out for a bit, double checked that I had everything in the car. stopped at the local shop& rob for some gatoraid and lotto tickets.. did you know that you can't buy lotto tickets at 4 am... I really just need to move to vegas, go broke and pawn my kidneys
Event warmup:

stood around talking with Karen, Jon and others, watched people get annoyed at the bullhorn guy. I did reach down to touch my toes, that does count as stretching correct
Swim
  • 15h 21m
  • 800 meters
  • 1h 55m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty basic and easy course. My big mistake was this time I wanted to start in the back to avoid contact and just swim.. big mistake I got hit more as the people in front of me stopped. some how I T-boned someone after the first bouy during the longer straight away.??!!!?? how can someone be swimming perpendicular to me??? My new motto is "i'd rather be the hammer than the nail. I know I ended up swimming longer since I just went around people..every time I thought I could draft off someone they stopped. Plus at one point there were 4 abreast doing the breast stroke or treading water, so I just took a wide bearth around them. When the long seaweed close to the first turn got my arm it startled me, but mostly I just got frustrated at people that were stopping in front of me, So I would stop then go around.. I'm just going to start to go over them.

Swim wise it was pretty good I didn't need to stop for fatigue issues, but when I got out of the water I noticed my HR was up there for a swim,, 150's and the avg was 145. in the future I'm going to start at the front and just take off for the start to get in clean water.
What would you do differently?:

start closer to the front or at the front.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I did a slow jog once out of the water, until the carpet ended then just did a easy walk into transition. I dropped my goggles when I took off my cap, but really didn't need to stop to get them as I knew it when it was happening. I did laugh at some of the people in transition, they were looking paniced as they hurried. I really wanted to take a bit longer trans, just relax and be smooth, got socks, shoes on easy, helmet, race number and did an easy walk to the mount line.. Must like the soprano's this is forshadowing for future episodes.

attempt at being quicker, actually do a slow jog out of the water and with bike would easily cut 30sec's i'm sure
Bike
  • 52m 17s
  • 16.78 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW!!.. My bike computer said (but not out loud) just 18mph for the avg.. so wow.. 19+ compared to others it's not that great but I'm estatic, I'm going to grab another Heinken....ahhhh,,I'm back 20 minutes to soprano's, the last star wars is on now.. natilie portman is super hot..

This was my best so far on a bike, I was passing people even up the small hills, and of course got passed. the last 5-6 miles I was able to pick it up a bit and caught a few people that passed me earlier. I don't want to write too much about the bike since it will just be pro-gary, and while this was a great step up for me, I know that I will be getting better, so i'm just going to enjoy this for a couple of days then get back to riding more.

push a bit harder?? maybe,, right now my goal is more training time, that is what will help me the most,
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Just a nice easy relaxed transition.. I saw a couple of people fall down, trip over a bike, and start running with their helmet on..I finished drinking the rest of the fluid left over from the bike leg. Got the shoes off and running shoes on pretty easy and walked to the exit, got some more water and wished I had my sunglasses

Nutrition error.. I didn't bring anything since I know from running I don't realy need something unless I'm over 90 minuetes or way longer. then I'll have a gel around 75-80 min. So I wanted to see how I'd do without it.. big mistake, while I didn't have that bonk feeling I should have had something after the bike
Run
  • 30m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

how sad is it that my best event is the swim, and I don't put as much time in it as i should.

I had some issue right around mile one, I was burning up and my heart felt like it was going to crack a rib, I looked down and it was 178 so while I didn't walk i was running (HA !!) slow enough to be a walk, i did this for a full minute, and just after mile 2 I needed a quick 30 sec walk break, again my legs didn't feel that bad it was mostly HR and breathing issue's. I think I had too much left since after that little break I was running great, I was under 10min/mile with two breaks so all things considered that was a ok run.

not run 7 miles the day before,,I felt it some on the run, but my legs felt pretty good, mostly I was out of breath, more training on speed work needed.

I had problems staying cool and at each water break took a cup to just dump on me
Post race
Warm down:

lots of water and pizzia and hung out with this really cool group of BT'ers. Watched how many guys kept staring at some scantily dressed 16 y/o

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics, 25 extra lbs of flubber, not enough training time, staying out late the two nights prior to this.. (past midnight)

Event comments:

Well thanks to my new pre-race super energy drink, diet mnt dew and tequila I'm expecting great gains..

Not having anything nutrition wise was a mistake I did take 2 bottles of gatoraide on the run but having a gu, would have helped I think.

I noticed that I was within 50 seconds of moving up 3 spots so not screwing around in the transition would have helped. I was about 2/1/2 min of moving up 5 or 6 spots, this lets me see what people were saying about making up time in transitions

Last updated: 2007-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
15:21:00 | 800 meters | 1h 55m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/41
Overall: 235/506
Performance: Average
avg HR was 145.
Suit:
Course: just the basice tri angle, good water temp, no wet suit
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:17 | 16.78 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/41
Overall: 404/506
Performance: Good
avg of 147,,not to bad right about what I thought I should be
Wind: None
Course: very fast course I'm thinking just two u-turns very flat with a couple of small inclines, just enough that to give you a boost when going down them
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/41
Overall: 392/506
Performance: Below average
hr 150, with a high of 178
Course: easy out and back
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 7:13 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: #837936

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon
2007-06-10 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Good Job!! Nothing like a few lessons learnt.... although I might not follow your lead on the pre-race tequila anytime soon

Awesome!!!!  

2007-06-10 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Gary! So, Mountain Dew and tequila are your secret to super-fast swimming??? I can handle that! See you at Disco!
2007-06-10 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
You're supposed to drink AFTER the race, silly!  Smile  Not at all a bad showing considering your pre-race few days - sounds like you got some good race experience under your belt and will be well prepared for next time!  Great bike split!
2007-06-10 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Great recovery from that almost-2-hour swim! heh.  Seriously, great job on the race!  Looking forward to meeting you at Disco!

2007-06-11 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Sounds like you had a hell of a time Gary.   I like the "be the hammer" motto!

Can't believe guys would be staring at the scantily clad 16 year old.  Oh wait, I was probably one of them! 

2007-06-11 9:53 AM

New user
Natalie Portman is hot!

Great race. I'll look for you at Disco.
2007-06-11 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OK... somone FINALLY has a longer T1 time than me! WOO-HOO!

You had a great swim and bike... and I am sure your run would have been spot on... but staying out till midnight the night before and running 7 miles Sat. morning didn't help ya any.

Hey, you are out there for fun... and you have a great attitude about it. It was nice of you to chit chat with me before the start... all in all a great time at the races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed