5430 Sports Corp.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The pre-race routine in this case started on Wednesday, when we closed on the house and started moving. So all 4 days before I was either moving, unpacking, or cleaning.

The race expo was interesting and it was exciting to get all my stuff. That night when I went to put my race bag together, I could not find a thing. I ended up with an evening run to the store and finally got my stuff together. Then I was so nervous I did not sleep.

I woke up early and had some PB&J waffles (no bread) and a banana. First stop out of the house was for a donut and coffee, and I was off.

I get to the race and parked and I headed to transition. I got my stuff set up in transition and headed down to the water.
Event warmup:

Really, a cooldown. The water was about 68-70 and I was one of the few brave souls to go sans wetsuit. Once I got used to it, it was quite nice and never became an issue again.
Swim
  • 28m 38s
  • 750 yards
  • 03m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was my biggest worry as it is easily my weakest discipline. We (the Clydes) were the last group which alleviated my fears of being the swum over. I started in the back and swam my race plan. I did not need to rest at all on a kayak or buoy and I just kept going forward. Sometimes I switched to breast stroke to give myself a breather and better siting.

I did have a moment of clarity during the race. After I made the second turn to head in, I started citing in a snow covered mountain cap. It was one of those "This is why I do this and this is why I am in Colorado" moments.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster. My stroke is inefficient at times, and I need to work on being more effecient.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Took my time to towel off, change and take some Clif Shots. Cola flavored was nasty

Nothing really, this will all come with time
Bike
  • 1h 27m 58s
  • 17 miles
  • 11.60 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the wheels fell of the bus, quite literally. Within the first mile, I noticed that one of my pedals seemed loose. After it did not get any better, I stopped and notice that one was falling off. I hand tightended the bolt hoping I could get to the aid station and get help.

Shortly thereafter I was riding through an intersection when the pedal and crank fell off. I stopped up against the curb and looked for the bolt. Two non-race riders were happening by and had an allen wrench and I found the bolt and put it back together.

From this point on in the race I had to stop every half mile to tighten the bolt so it would not fall off. By the end, it was down to every quarter mile. At the first aid station, I borrowed a screwdriver that sort of worked and helped my get it tighter than my fingers. In all, I figure this cost me 20 minutes at least, maybe closer to 30.

I was upset about this, but it did not deter me from finishing, even if I was the last person off the bike in the whole race.

Not have my pedal fall off.

Otherwise, not much. When I did ride I felt good, and I am proud of the fact that I finished the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

This went fine as I was in a rush to get running, an element where I was in control
Run
  • 37m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run was where I had to make a showing. I made it my goal to catch someone, anyone on the course. After a slow but expected swim and slow and unexpected ride, I had to do something.

I took off at a good clip out of transition and made it up the hill onto the dam. About 0.75 miles ahead I noticed Red, and made it my mission to catch her. I kept running with a small bit of walking through the first aid station and drank some water and doused myself.

I kept tracking Red and kept getting closer. Near the turn-around I also noticed Pink. Could I catch them both?

After running through the turnaround, I noticed they were walking together. They were mine.

By the time I got to the 2.1 aid station, they were 75 yds in front. After the water, they started running and so did I. I passed them with about a half mile to go and Red decided to try and catch me. I kept out in front and then passed Purple in the chutes to finish on a strong note.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

After getting my medal I went and called my wife. I was going to return the tool, but I think a volunteer picked it up from my station, because I know I laid it on my towel. When I considered the heat and the time, I opted out of a post race beer and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike and my weight.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:38 | 750 yards | 03m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Trunks
Course: Out and back in the reservoir
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:58 | 17 miles | 11.60 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Large loop course around the Boulder Reservoir, with little in the way of hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:37 | 03.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the dam walls. It was 90 by the time I got to this part of the race
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 9:58 AM

Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-18 10:09 AM
in reply to: #848484

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Uggghhhh!!! I feel for you.  Mechanical difficulties are so disappointing.  Sounds like you made the most of it though - unless you left out the part where you were screaming obscenities at your bike for falling apart at the worst possible time   Good job not letting it all rattle you.
2007-06-18 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow, it says a lot about your character as a person and an athlete that you had such difficulties and you kept going undeterred. Nice race!!!! You did awesome.
2007-06-18 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

OMG!  Your pedal AND crankarm?  That was great to get help too! 

LOL, red, pink and purple....you rock!  Congrats!

2007-06-18 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I have to commend you on finishing that race in the face of some MAJOR adversity. That's pure dedication right there. After this, any race will seem like an improvement!! Congratulations.
2007-06-18 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
YEP!!  That takes guts.  I think I would have given up and hitched a ride back to the res for a beer.  Nice job toughing it out and finding red, pink and purple.  GREAT JOB

2007-06-18 6:00 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I was having a poor pathetic me pity party because I had tire troubles right out of transition but after reading your report I guess my issues weren't so bad after all.  It was a fun race and hopefully the next race will go a lot smoother!
2007-06-19 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Wow Adam!!!  I had no idea about the bike - I can't believe you lost your pedal AND crank.  Good for you for pushing on aways.  Congrats on completing your tri.  That is what it is all about. 

That moment of clarity on the swim with the mountain in the foreground must have been nice.

Are you hooked yet?  Congrats again.  Keep up your hard work.

2007-06-19 4:51 PM
in reply to: #851239

captantony - 2007-06-19 3:16 PM

Wow Adam!!!  I had no idea about the bike - I can't believe you lost your pedal AND crank.  Good for you for pushing on aways.  Congrats on completing your tri.  That is what it is all about. 

That moment of clarity on the swim with the mountain in the foreground must have been nice.

Are you hooked yet?  Congrats again.  Keep up your hard work.

Thanks everyone!!

It was pretty frustrating to have the pedal and crank fall off. But I never considered stopping. I knew I would get there one way or another. I am definitely looking forward to my next tri, the Boulder Peak Olympic in a month. Hopefully the bike will cooperate that time.
2007-06-19 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great job on finishing and overcoming everything you went through out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed