General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 1s
Overall Rank = 291/508
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/35
Pre-race routine:

68/187 Females
Woke up at 4:30 having to pee something fierce so rolled out of tent and started my morning prep. Boiled a pot of coffee that tasted like it was just brown water. Ate a Bagel with peanut butter, banana and pomegranite juice. Applied the sunscreen, set up the bike...double checked my set up. Procrastinated on the warm up.
Event warmup:

Took a few bathroom stops....then did some dynamic stretching and static stretching. As we get older, you must stretch...I hate that! Couldn't bear to get into the green slime before necessary.
Swim
  • 08m 16s
  • 440 yards
  • 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although I took 2 minutes off of my swim from last year, it was awful! I noticed people running beside me just as fast as I was swimming....so I joined them. My goggles were leaking so that didn't help my flow. Probably tired myself out by running, but better than some eye infection from the green slime! Took a gu just before race.
What would you do differently?:

Do more OWS...one doesn't cut it! Get new goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Good transition, no wetsuit to contend with, I had a middle isle.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 8s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I debated on walking the killer hill right off the bat coming out of the gate, but I felt good coming out of the swim. Holy Crap, those headwinds were strong...felt like for every pedal stroke I took, I'd get pushed back..ok, not that bad, but I couldn't even catch up to a group to try to break some of the wind..not draft, just protect me a little bit.. About mile 16/17 my knee and hip starting giving me a lot of grief. Decided I would lolligag it in and hang up my bike and be done since I told my P.T. I would. Took a gu at the about mile 12. I was amazed at the people flying by me in their tribikes and checking out their numbers to see what wave they were from. I was left far behind....Ok...I passed a few on mountain bikes...I remember those days! I did enjoy the butterfly that flew right in front of me, waved at a few kids, and thanked all the helpers! ;) That was my goal was to just finish, not race....hard to do when you are so competitive!

Not get hurt. I think if I was healthy and could have pushed, I would definatley would have been at like 22 mi/hr pace. The last 5 miles or so I was going pretty dang slow like 14/15 when I looked down. I was definately not feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Pulling into transition a lady was yelling at us to dismount...so I slammed on my brakes and almost caused a pile up...I was right we did have about 15 feet to go, boy was I pisssed.

Pay better attention to where I was coming in. I would have had a smooth dismount, but lady freaked me out!
Run
  • 29m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, debated walking the hill to save my leg and of course, I didn't hang up my bike. I'm not a quitter, I could just walk the 3.1 right? Yeah...not when you are a competitive freak! So I ran until it hurt by my knee a little after mile 2. In my head I was thinking, you gave it a shot, you made a promise to stop, and look what restraint it takes. I walked a bit,then a 12 year old kid ran past me....t%$#! I couldn't let that happen, so I ran the rest of the way. Don't know if I caught him, but I ran the rest, felt ok. I really had to pay attention to my form when I was trail running not to add more stress to my IT band and to heel strike. That was tough.

I only had a handful of runs in since I was giving the ok to run. Definately could have used more runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched...ate a little, cheered on friends doing the HIM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury and pain.

Event comments:

I had a lot of energy at the end that I could have used in the race. I was surprised at how well conditioned I was for being out. All that crosstraining definately helps. Mental breakdown and physical breakdown with injury definately holding me back! Felt good to finish...didn't want the DNF...Only a minute off of last year's time..imagine if I had been healthy! Bummed I wasn't doing HIM, but happy for friends that finished theirs...I finished, not far off of last years time...did I mention I almost started bawling when I crossed the finish line...relief that i finished? Or pain? Not sure. Just glad I did..tough to feel happy for, but working toward it.

Last updated: 2007-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:16 | 440 yards | 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/35
Overall: 69/508
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit with drag
Course: Out and back around buouy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:08 | 22 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/35
Overall: 77/508
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop...very fast course when you take away the wind and the mile uphill battle right out of the gates!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:12 | 03.11 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/35
Overall: 0/508
Course: 3/4 mile uphill beast right after transition. Trail running for most, in the shade...and then downhill. Very nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-28 9:55 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Forgot to mention, that when I looked down my top after the race, I noticed I was turning into the incredible hulk....seriously, the stuff was caked to me and wouldn't even brush off!  I was afraid I'd grow a third nipple. 

Edited by trYgrl 2007-06-28 10:08 AM

2007-06-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: #864198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job. Nicely done contending with your injuries and recovery. Bravo!
2007-06-28 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
You did it.  That was actually a pretty long bike for a sprint.  Congrats and hopefully you will heal to race another day.  No rush, you are actually quite young in the tri game.  Be well.  Julie
2007-06-28 2:45 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

YOU are going to rock that half WITH me next year

Thanks a ton for your support- you did great out there, considering the pain you have been having!!

2007-06-28 10:42 PM

User image

West Richland
Great job!  You are tough, I was cringing just reading about the pain you were in.  Way to power through and finish, with a faster time no less! 
2007-06-29 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Sorry to hear you're in pain. But dang nice job in spite of it! You beat me you rockmama!! And your ice cream tonight (Friday) was well deserved.

2007-07-06 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

Nice job TrYgrl!

Congrats on a strong race and working through the tough spots!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed