General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being realistic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-28 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Subject: Am I being realistic?
I'm contemplating trying the Glacial Trail 50 in 2009 when I'll be 18. If I can convince my parents I won't die, I'll then apply for the Western States in 2010. There's about a 50% chance of making it. I understand that the Western States is one of the toughest ultra's out there but I'm willing to take it on. After all, an ultra is a combination of running and hiking.

In an article I was reading, 3 time winner Jim King said he never ran more than 70 miles per week. It also says researchers who studied the effects of high training mileage found that there were no significant improvements in endurance in runners who trained more than 70 miles/week–not even in runners who trained up to 230 miles/week.

I also found this.

Race director Norm Klein says that 80% of the dropouts in Western States are caused by the quad-killing downhills of the notorious "Canyons" in the first 56 miles of the race.

I think I'll be fine here. I'm an avid weight lifter and I strengthen my quads by performing squat variations, step-ups, etc. I will also soon be receiving a sled to train with. One problem, could be carrying too much muscle in my upper body, but there's no way I'll stop weight training.

On WS100's web site it says it is not necessary to run 100 miles a week to finish Western States. Many runners are able to finish on not much more than half this amount. I was thinking I could train somewhere in the 60-75 mile range even though hours are more important than the mileage. One bit of information I can't understand is, once a month or so, it is good to attempt a 50-mile race or a longer training run of 8 to 10 hours. Umm, how am I supposed to run for 25-30 hours straight when I've only ran 8 to 10 hours?

Keep in mind, this could all fall through. My mom knows what the Western States is and she already thinks I'm going to get myself killed running an ultra. What am I supposed to say? "Mom, I know I will be the youngest person to ever attempt this race and people's kidneys have failed, but I think it would be a neat thing to do." I must say, I practically decided on a whim that I was going to run a marathon, and my parents had some serious doubts about that, but I showed them I was dedicated and I could do it.

Thoughts and opinions on my post would be welcome.

2007-06-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: #864689

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Am I being realistic?
Sounds like an interesting goal.  But at age 15, there's a lot of life between now and 2009-2010 which may cause you to change plans.  Why don't you just keep running for now and set some nearer-term goals for yourself (faster 5k, 10k, half-marathon, etc.)?  Take the rest as it comes.
2007-06-28 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I'm no expert on ultra distance racing but I think that the Glacial Trail 50 is certainly within reach (at least if i were in your position I would believe that I could do it).  Competing in the western states may be a bit ambitious though.  The main thing is that due to the fact that running is a weight bearing sport you will need to gradually increase you're training mileage over the months/years.

Like JohnnyKay said 2009 is a long way off and it would be very difficult to focus on such a distant goal without slacking.  If I were you I would stick with the marathons for a while then decide whether you want to go for the Glacial Trail 50.  But like I said, if you really want to do it then it is possible.

Edited by tridantri 2007-06-28 1:38 PM
2007-06-28 1:51 PM

User image

Runner

I don't know anything about the race, but I'm curious if there's an age limit on it, as I know there are on several races.

Do you run track or cross country? 

2007-06-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: #864759

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Scout7 - 2007-06-28 1:51 PM

I don't know anything about the race, but I'm curious if there's an age limit on it, as I know there are on several races.

18 and up for the States. I believe 18 and up as well for the Glacial Trail 50.

Scout7 - 2007-06-28 1:51 PM

Do you run track or cross country?

No, the distances are far too short (2 miles is the longest race for track and 5k is the longest race for cross country). I like to challenge myself beyond the limits others are willing to go and ultramarathons are the next logical step up the ladder (albeit, not Western States).
2007-06-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: #864783

User image

Runner
How about, instead of focusing on distance, you maybe work towards going faster?  Just so you know, the top middle distance runners (3k-10k) in the world often do weekly training miles of over 70.  So, you can train for shorter distances with lots of miles until you get to the point where you're old enough to qualify for WS100.

2007-06-28 2:15 PM

User image

Runner

Another thought...

There's alot of distance between a 5k and an ultra.....  Might want to look at tackling a half or full mary in the mean time as well. 

2007-06-28 2:17 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
You wont know realistic til you put in the miles.  Set your goal, make a plan and get to it.  Tons can happen in three years but the sooner ya get at it the better.  Might take a year or two to better determine if its realistic for you or not, but beats thinking about it too much.
2007-06-28 3:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-28 6:41 PM

Veteran
You may be a genetic freak, but generally it's a bad idea to run those kinds of distances at your age. There are countless stories of people doing major, long term damage to themselves by taking on those kinds of distances at a young age. I'm not saying it can't be done...because it can. I'm just questioning whether it should be done.

2007-06-28 7:03 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I'm not really a runner and I sure as heck would run those distances... but I have to say that I am impressed with your research and obvious dedication to wanting to accomplish this goal. You are obviously a smart young man who isn't doing this just on a whim.

Now, it might be something you need to tackle AFTER you move out of the house... but maybe you present your Mother with your research and then SHOW her that you are willing to train for it... she might go along with the idea.

Good luck!

2007-06-28 7:04 PM
in reply to: #865223

Champion
Dallas, TX
doublej - 2007-06-28 6:41 PM

You may be a genetic freak, but generally it's a bad idea to run those kinds of distances at your age. There are countless stories of people doing major, long term damage to themselves by taking on those kinds of distances at a young age. I'm not saying it can't be done...because it can. I'm just questioning whether it should be done.

Would you suggest that he go see some kind of sports Dr. for a consultation before he attempts something like this? Maybe if a Dr. OK's it... his Mom will too?
2007-06-28 8:06 PM
in reply to: #865243

Veteran
KSH - 2007-06-28 8:04 PM

Would you suggest that he go see some kind of sports Dr. for a consultation before he attempts something like this? Maybe if a Dr. OK's it... his Mom will too?

I think that would be a good start. I would also feel better about it if he were running track or cross country right now in high school and had a coach with which to consult.

Let me say that I'm all for challenging yourself and taking on big goals, I've just been bitten by the injury bug one too many times not to add a word of caution.
2007-06-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: #864814

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
jszat - 2007-06-28 2:17 PM

You wont know realistic til you put in the miles.  Set your goal, make a plan and get to it.  Tons can happen in three years but the sooner ya get at it the better.  Might take a year or two to better determine if its realistic for you or not, but beats thinking about it too much.

My goal between now and when I have a chance to qualify is to demolish my high school's weight room records. Until the time comes, that's my focus.
2007-06-28 9:17 PM
in reply to: #864937

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
JeepFleeb - 2007-06-28 3:22 PM

Pete10 - 2007-06-28 1:19 PM
Umm, how am I supposed to run for 25-30 hours straight when I've only ran 8 to 10 hours?

Just because you're going to run 25 hours at once doesn't mean you need to practice running 25 hours.  You'll do lots of long runs to get ready for an ultra, but none of them will ever be as long as your race.  They will be more frequent though and that's what will get you in good enough shape for the WS100.

A 25 hour training run would probably hurt you more than help.  When you're just running on your own you don't have the same motivation and support that you will during the race.  It would be much easier to loose focus, forget about your form and injure yourself.  Or worse, you'll get mentally burnt-out and skip valuable training.

Here's a link to a book you definitely want to read.

Ok, thanks for answering my question. I'll check that book out.
2007-06-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #865223

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin

You may be a genetic freak, but generally it's a bad idea to run those kinds of distances at your age.

The same was said to me when I decided I wanted to run a marathon. After suffering from patellar tendonitis for the first two weeks of my training plan, I quickly switched to forefoot running and my knees were much happier.

There are countless stories of people doing major, long term damage to themselves by taking on those kinds of distances at a young age. I'm not saying it can't be done...because it can. I'm just questioning whether it should be done.

I've never heard any of those stories.

2007-06-28 9:22 PM
in reply to: #865243

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
KSH - 2007-06-28 7:04 PM

Good idea.
2007-06-28 9:25 PM
in reply to: #865309

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
doublej - 2007-06-28 8:06 PM

I think that would be a good start. I would also feel better about it if he were running track or cross country right now in high school and had a coach with which to consult.

Let me say that I'm all for challenging yourself and taking on big goals, I've just been bitten by the injury bug one too many times not to add a word of caution.

I appreciate your input. The local cross country coach has done Ironman competitions, so yes, I will probably consult him sometime in the future.
2007-06-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: #865361

Runner

Pete10 - 2007-06-28 10:16 PM My goal between now and when I have a chance to qualify is to demolish my high school's weight room records. Until the time comes, that's my focus.

If you wanna do ultra's, that's not a very smart goal. 

2007-06-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: #865605

2007-06-29 8:06 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Pete10 - 2007-06-28 2:04 PM No, the distances are far too short (2 miles is the longest race for track and 5k is the longest race for cross country). I like to challenge myself beyond the limits others are willing to go and ultramarathons are the next logical step up the ladder (albeit, not Western States).

First of all, the next logical step "up the ladder" is actually growing up. I don't mean that in a scolding kind of way...I just mean, enjoy high school while you're there.  Don't be so set on not participating in track and cross country just because the distances are short.  Some of my fondest memories in life come from competing in and winning high school races.  I think 30 years from now you'll regret not participating.   Yeah, the h.s. distances are short, but why not focus on something like winning the state high school championship if you think you're that good?  There is still a lot of life left to live in front of you.  The WS100 will always be there.  High school won't.  Good luck.

2007-06-29 8:14 AM

2007-06-29 10:41 PM
in reply to: #865620

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
Birkierunner - 2007-06-29 8:06 AM

First of all, the next logical step "up the ladder" is actually growing up. I don't mean that in a scolding kind of way...I just mean, enjoy high school while you're there.  Don't be so set on not participating in track and cross country just because the distances are short.  Some of my fondest memories in life come from competing in and winning high school races.  I think 30 years from now you'll regret not participating.   Yeah, the h.s. distances are short, but why not focus on something like winning the state high school championship if you think you're that good?  There is still a lot of life left to live in front of you.  The WS100 will always be there.  High school won't.  Good luck.

I understand your point of view, but honestly, high school is nothing but a "liquorfest". Between this past year and this year the differences in people really jump out. My friends and I are taking drastically different paths on the road of life. I'm still friends with these people, but my personality and interests are much different from their's and I take no interest in drinking, throwing fireworks at cars, partying, chasing girls (this one's just not worth the effort at the moment), etc. I don't know, maybe I'm not normal, but that's just how I feel. Keep in mind this will be only one year of high school and one year of my life.

No, there is no chance I will stop weight lifting.

Edited by Pete10 2007-06-29 10:42 PM
2007-06-29 10:51 PM
in reply to: #865630

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
PennState - 2007-06-29 8:14 AM

Yup I agree with above as well. Enjoy life now.

Most ultra runners are older 30+ and most long course tri competitors are also 30+.

Heck the pro's that win are usually in their 30s-40s (see Natasha Badmann and Normann Stadler)

I think you have to ask yourself why you want to do ultra's instead of at least a 1/2 mary? Is it for your own satisfaction/accomplishment, or to impress others?

Again, what am I missing? I will still see all of these people in school except I won't be participating with them in their choice of extra curricular activites (getting drunk, partying, doing stupid things). I don't do any of these activites anyway. You may ask, then why are those people my friends? I've known these people for a very long time and just in the past year things have changed drastically.

I will say pride does play a major factor in my decisions. I want to know I can do just about anything and I want people to know I can do just about anything. I want to push myself to my limits and survive. I want to show people I'm unstoppable and I can do anything I set my mind to.

Like others have stated, 2 years is a long ways away (but it comes fast) and my mind could change. At this point, I'm definitely going to run the Glacial Trail 50 but the Western States makes me very nervous.
2007-06-30 12:02 AM
in reply to: #866906

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being realistic? Rss Feed  

of 2