United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Same as always... get up... cliff bars, expresso, soy milk and drive to race... use the bathroom, get bib number go back to car and wait for the race to start
Event warmup:

nothing.. I will warm up within the first few minutes of the race
Run
  • 6h 26m 12s
  • 32.2 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my second ultra this month... I love doing these things.. It is amazing how beautiful these trails are.. I started running and I think I ran about 75% of the race despite the fact that there were some areas that were incredible steep.
I had a great race until about mile 24 or so, then my right knee started hurting quite a bit, specially on the downhills. I managed to keep a good pace throughtout the whole race.
Again, I am just amazed of the trails and the camaderie of the ultrarunners. They are just plain simple and nice people. No competition among themselves, and I am loving to run by myself. Whever I feel I have someone approcahing from behind I simply let them through so they can be on their way and I can continue my run alone. If I am catching somebody, I simply pass them and don't slow down, I simply keep on running.

This particular course was very hard, lots and lots of lose rocks that were kind of dangerous. I felt that I was beginning to have a blister so I stop in one of the rest stations and put some vaseline on my feet. That I think worked well. The blsiter did not continue developing, but I still have it. I pierced after i came home to drain it and it feels better already.

I am loseing a couple of toe nails though, I am not complaining, it comes with the territory.. right?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...
Post race
Warm down:

walked, stretched a little, talked to other runners, ate vegetarian soup, washed my legs with tecnu (to remove any posion oak oil) and drove home.. that was my warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I am still running very conservative. After I finish i usually think, " I could have gone faster". Next time I will do that..

Event comments:

Thank you to Sarah and Wendall, from pacific trail runs.

Last updated: 2007-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
06:26:12 | 32.2 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Beutiful trial in Pacifica California.. It was mostly single track trails with incredible views from above.. It has 9000 feet of elevation gain, a really difficult course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 12:41 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Pacifica Ultra (50K)

2007-07-01 8:13 AM
in reply to: #867539

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-01 9:43 PM
in reply to: #867539

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Pacifica Ultra (50K)

Sounds like a great experience. So are you BT's version of the "Ultramarathon Man" now?

I'd love to be able to run one myself. It's inspiring how you can make something so hard seem so simple and enjoyable.

By the way, toenails are overrated.

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacifica Ultra (50K) Rss Feed