General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Answering "the call" during a sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-09-29 5:40 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Answering "the call" during a sprint
My first tri is coming up, so I have tons of silly questions like these.

Last night I tried my first swim / bike brick with my tri suit. I hydrate throughout the day, so after the swim I really needed to go. Which was when I found out it sucks to pull off & on wet tri shorts. Then I wondered what’s going to happen during my first tri. Will I need to go while out on the course? It’s just a sprint, but I’m wondering about having to stop, and if the race is going to have facilities there. I don’t want to be bouncing around with a full bladder.

So do you ever have to go during a sprint tri? Or is the distance so short that you can wait until the end? Just curious what others have experienced.

2004-09-29 5:54 PM
in reply to: #67873

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Subject: RE: Answering "the call" during a sprint
Definitely you have to pee in the water just before the swim starts. I know it sounds gross but even with using the toilets on the course once you hit the cold water you will need to pee and that feeling will not leave you for the rest of the race. Take it from me I have tried not to because it did gross me out (I am in a wetsuit - full length) but everyone thought I was weird when I said I didn't pee in the water - everyone does!!! So pretend you are warming up, take a few leisurely strokes out away from the bunch and tread water and concentrate like hell - it really is hard to do!! BTW it is better to be well hydrated and need to pee than dry and not, so don't try and underhydrate - I've made that mistake too! Dx
2004-09-29 6:00 PM

Chelsea, MI
My first race was an oly, and about a mile into the 5 mile run I had to go, bad. But there wasn't a porta potty in sight! So the whole run all I could think about was where I could duck into the woods if I absolutely had to, and concentrating on holding it. It was miserable! It totally killed my run time. The only facilities they had were at the transition area, so now I know I should have gone as soon as I got off my bike, because this usually happens on my long runs.
2004-09-29 6:15 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Maybe I should clarify where my tri will be, to better illustrate my predicament. It’s a pool swim, in the Univ. of AZ’s pool. Wait a second, this is the same university that caused me years of mental anguish as I finished my chemical engineering degree. Pass the drinks, please!

We get out of the pool and then ride our bikes around the campus for 12 miles. Then the run is through the campus, down the main roads that go in between the buildings. Probably lots of campus police and people around, so I can’t just “hop into the woods.” Guess I’ll just have to pray that porta potties will be available and in a favorable location.

There is a pre-race meeting the evening before the tri. So I’ll probably be asking the director a bunch of questions like this.
2004-09-29 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
Mississippi

this all reminds me of Ron White's bit on the blue collar comedy tour video staring jeff foxworthy.  it is hilarious. 

i hope i am not the only one to have seen this?

2004-09-29 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Questions...I wanted to ask this question last week but didn't. My first sprint Tri was last Saturday. I drank a lot in the day before and some in the morning...didn't have to go during the swim in the ocean...concentrated on staying calm...assumed that I would. I was fine during the bike...about 1/3 way on the run I saw real bathrooms and was torn as to use them or not. I opted not to since I was afraid if I stopped running that would be the end and wouldn't be able to start up again. At the finish, my husband took pictures, took off my timing chip and I made a bee line to the bathrooms were I swear I scared the lady and her child in the stall next door with my breathing...my asthma kicked in as I pushed toward the finish line and was so full of emotions I sort of lost it..and sort of honking breathing. But I was fine.. I was officially a triathlete...what an accomplishment!

My goal was to drink a lot the day before by the early evening so I would empty out before the morning of the race.

Good Luck!
Kathy

2004-09-29 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

One of the good things about early morning tris, is that your body is typically not over-hydrated.  This might not become a huge issue for you.  MAKE yourself go at least 10 minutes prior to your wave being called.  Once I get going on the bike, I'm typically fine until I hit that finish line and down that first bottle of water.

Man, just thinking about this...

2004-09-30 2:08 AM

User image

I should log on with another name to answer this one, but here goes....

My experience is three tris. On the third tri, I used the porta potties....wasn't worth it.
My first race, I didn't know what to expect. So I had a water bottle with a sport top at T2 that I took out with me. (Sorry, this next thing is gross) I had to go and I did and I just rinsed off with the water bottle. :-(

The second tri I did not get "the call", so I had the water bottle for hydration.

Having used the pottie and not used the pottie---I now have a preference, not what everyone will want to do, but it worked :-(
2004-09-30 10:09 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Here's my take.  If you're so hydrated that going right before the race doesn't take care of the problem, then your pee will be pretty much clear.  Assuming that it's clear, it's mostly water and indistinguishable from water dripping off you.  So, my advice?  Practice your Kegels and let it go little by little.  I have done this in a road race and my tri.  You don't actually have to empty your whole bladder to get to a more comfortable state.  Also, the chamois in your tri shorts ought to mask it somewhat.  And, thankfully, tri shorts are pretty wicking overall.

It may not be ladylike, but then again, we didn't decide to be triathletes to be ladylike.

2004-09-30 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Mississippi

this thread has gotten pretty nasty.  force yourself to go before the race!  try to hold it the rest of the way.  if you can't, please don't pee next to someone.  hahaha

especially if i am there!  haha

Edited by Live2Tri 2004-09-30 10:16 AM
2004-09-30 10:17 AM
in reply to: #68034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Whit - 2004-09-30 9:09 AM

So, my advice?  Practice your Kegels and let it go little by little.  I have done this in a road race and my tri. 

And DO practice, it is not as easy as it sounds to relax enough while biking to 'go', I have tried and yet to manage it.  

(Did you ever think the day would come when not being able to pee and bike would be an issue?? )

2004-09-30 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I have only done three sprint tri's and no matter how many times I went before it started, as soon as I hit the water, I had to go!  And the first one was in a university pool!  Luckily after my first "call of nature", I no longer need to do so again during the course of the tri because  the body requires all its fluids during exertion in order to cool the body; and, yes, you do sweat when you are swimming, believe it or not.  As for doing it while riding my bike, I can't say that I have but I hear that it is a warm feeling...hee hee...lol.  :-)
2004-09-30 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Isn't this what chlorine is for?

For a sprint if you can go two to three times before the start with the last one just prior, you should be fine.
2004-09-30 1:25 PM
in reply to: #68038

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Yeah, I think the bike is by far the hardest event to pee during.  The run isn't too bad.  You can get a rhythm going. ;-)

And there are plenty of strange concerns that I've developed now that I'm into triathloning!  It's strange how it changes you.

2004-09-30 2:03 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Transition areas have bathrooms. We're not professional athletes. So a minute or two off of your time to go to the bathroom is not the end of the world. Take it easy. Enjoy yourself!!!
2004-09-30 2:16 PM

User image

Interesting..... the men and women have generally taken two different sides to this issue....it appears the subject has grossed out their masculine sensibilities.    Shame on us gals!

2004-09-30 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
my first tri was a couple of weekends ago. i was a bit over hydrated but felt good. the swim was .6 miles from the "main" transition area so they had 2 porta-potties down by the lake. the event was a swim/run/bike/run. when i got down to the swim start i had to go bad so i went to the porta pottie. just before my time trial start, i realized i had to go real bad again. no problem i thought. i'd just go right after i hit the water. well, as soon as i hit the cold water and got my bearings i had forgotten to pee. i remembered how bad i had to go right after i went through transition and got out on the 1st run. i looked over my shoulder to make sure the coast was fairly clear and just let it rip! only problem was it ran out my right leg of my tri shorts, down my leg and straight into my shoe! i felt much better, never missed a stride and didn't feel the need to go for the remainder of the race!
I went about 5-6 times before the start of my last race this past weekend and didn't need to go while on the course this time.
2004-09-30 2:52 PM

User image

Thanks T-Bone, now I know there is at least one honest man!
2004-09-30 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
I go about 2 or 3 times before my wave and am ok for the rest of the sprint. In an open water swim, I've learned to let it go if I have to.

I do not understanding peeing on yourself during the bike or the run in a race. Unless you are going to podium, what difference does 2 or 3 minutes make? Why on earth would anyone want to smell like piss in addition to the funky sweaty smell, make your socks wet and risk blister, plus ruin your shoes? All for 2 minutes???

I love my bike too much to have it smelling like pee. I love my running shoes too much to have it smelling like pee.

I just don't get it.
2004-09-30 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I am always so embarrassed on the beach when my wetsuit is dripping from the ankles and I haven't even been in the water yet!!
2004-09-30 4:52 PM
in reply to: #68207

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Robin in AZ - 2004-09-30 3:33 PM

I go about 2 or 3 times before my wave and am ok for the rest of the sprint. In an open water swim, I've learned to let it go if I have to.

I do not understanding peeing on yourself during the bike or the run in a race. Unless you are going to podium, what difference does 2 or 3 minutes make? Why on earth would anyone want to smell like piss in addition to the funky sweaty smell, make your socks wet and risk blister, plus ruin your shoes? All for 2 minutes???

I love my bike too much to have it smelling like pee. I love my running shoes too much to have it smelling like pee.

I just don't get it.

Who said I was wearing socks?

2004-09-30 5:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: #68207

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Robin in AZ - 2004-09-30 3:33 PM I I do not understanding peeing on yourself during the bike or the run in a race. .

Yeah, it sounds kinda silly, but it's not about always about the time.

I did  4 races this past summer, there were 2 porta potties near the T1/T2 site - all on the other side of the fence.  It was more like a 5 minutes trek - and you need to have the "urge" at that particular time. Being female, I'm not as comfortable finding a tree and simply turning my back to the road ! The run had no porta potties - so it's more logistics than a time issue for some of us. (not to say that there is anything wrong with it being a time issue, I'm just not fast enough for it to matter ..!)

Although on the marathon route there were portapotties they had long line ups, again all sorts of males running off the side of the road - but I don't know what the women did - I was just happy that I could wait till the end!

Edited by Laerka 2004-09-30 5:35 PM

2004-09-30 5:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-30 5:44 PM
in reply to: #68218

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Hey Tbone
I was born and raised in Memphis! I was there for Memphis in May....my first dnf...but I'll be back to avenge myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Answering "the call" during a sprint Rss Feed  

of 2