United States
DQ Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 40s
Overall Rank = 154/180
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:20, ate a toasted whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and a banana. Changed & out the door just after 6. Ate a Special K bar on the way.

After a 40-minute drive, we arrived and I went to pick up my packet and then set up my transition area. Got a good spot, close to the entrance from the swim and the run out. Woman 3 spots over said to me, "You look like you know what you're doing - where do we bike out?" I laughed and told her it was my first tri ever and she was very surprised and said "Get out!" Hey, at least I LOOKED good.
Event warmup:

None, unfortunately. By the time I got everything set up and went to the bathroom (dodged the huge line at the porta potties and went to one inside the firehouse where registration was), they were getting ready to start the pre-race briefing, which I didn't want to miss since it was my first tri.
Swim
  • 09m 43s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the back corner to avoid any mayhem. Got a decent start - not too fast, not too slow. Caught some people's feet but no one whacked into me. Tried to get into a good rhythm, but the muddiness of the water made it tough. Had to flip over and do some backstroke a couple times to regroup. On the way back toward shore, the water got pretty choppy from the wave behind us. Nonetheless, I finally got into a good groove for the last 200 yards or so and swam all the way in (unlike some people who started walking out as soon as they could touch the bottom, which was probably 150 yards out). Managed to even beat a few slow stragglers from the wave before us!
What would you do differently?:

Try to ignore everything else and just swim. Ha! Easier said than done, but hopefully the next race's lake won't be so darn muddy. At times it felt like I was swimming through a thick soup!
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I was covered in muck from the pond, so it took me a little longer to wipe my feet off than I anticipated. Grabbed helmet and sunglasses, stuffed Shot Bloks pack into my back shirt pocket, and off I went. No bike shoes or clipless pedals, so I just wore my running sneakers (need to get elastic laces!). Mounted the bike fairly cleanly but more or less at a dead stop.

I think it went fairly well, all things considered. (time is approximate - from my watch - official race results included transition times in the total bike
Bike
  • 56m 5s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.05 mile/hr
Comments:

First few miles were tough as it took a bit to get my legs going. At first I wondered how on earth I would make it 15 miles, but once I got moving it got a little easier. Ate 3 shot bloks on the 1st loop, then the other 3 toward the end of the 2nd loop. Drank 3/4 of my water bottle, which was a 50-50 Gatorade & water blend. Got passed by a lot of people, but also passed a few myself. Felt good - could've gone a bit faster but wasn't sure how my legs would react on the run.

Not get off course! I wished I had memorized the turns beforehand, but I also figured I would be following people (which I was, but they were misdirected too!) and that there would be better course control. I also need to get bike shoes and clipless pedals!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Staggered a bit when I got off the bike but quickly collected myself and ran off to my rack. Racked the bike w/o too much trouble. Already had my running shoes on, so just grabbed my race # belt and took off. Grabbed a cup of water on the way out of the transition area. Realized a few minutes into the run that I forgot to put on my running hat, but oh well.

Nothing...doesn't get much faster than that!
Run
  • 28m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I anticipated needing to walk and/or REALLY having a tough time with the run due to my lack of run training and knee/ITB issues. I was pleasantly surprised at how good I felt! First mile or so was tough - felt slow and legs were tired. After that, though, I felt them start to loosen up a bit and I was able to increase my pace to almost a regular 5K race pace. Stopped and walked through a water station; drank half the cup, dumped the other half over my head. Other than that, I ran the entire way! Didn't overheat too much. 2 or 3 people passed me, but I also passed a few myself. Was able to really kick it in at the end of the run.

Pick up the pace a little earlier (there were no mile markers, nor do I have a Garmin, and I didn't want to look at my watch too much). Oh well! Better safe than sorry for my first race, since my primary goal was just to finish anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water. Didn't do much else as it had gotten quite warm out by the end of the run and I just wanted to get some food and water in me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of full training period; however, the purpose of this race for me was just to literally "get my feet wet" in tris and train through it, using this as a barometer for where I should put my focus on the rest of my training for my next tri in August.

Event comments:

Great race for me personally as a first-timer. Other than the bike route fiasco, the race was very well-organized and small enough that I didn't feel overwhelmed. Will definitely do this race again next year if we're still living close enough to make it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:43 | 440 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 144/180
Performance: Average
Suit: Sugoi wahine tri top & tri shorts
Course: Semi-oval around buoys in a MUDDY, shallow pond. Water was refreshing - quite warm but not too warm.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:05 | 15 miles | 16.05 mile/hr
Overall: 153/180
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops on flat country roads open to traffic. Course management was a little iffy, as myself and many others got off-track at the 2nd turn on the 1st lap, b/c the guy standing there didn't signal the turn very well nor yell to those who went the wrong way. Luckily I realized a minute or so down the road that I must not be going the right way and turned around and got back on course after asking the guy if that was the turn (it was...why didn't he tell me that the first time?!).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:53 | 03.11 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 139/180
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around flat country roads
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-14 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Vincentown Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: #885981

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Vincentown Sprint Triathlon
Awesome Job Laura!!! Congratulations on your first race!!
2007-07-15 8:26 AM

User image

Westampton
Congrats on your first TRI. I was there as a supporter due to a injury. Hope that i will do the race next year. I heard about the confusion on the bike. I live about 2 mins from the course and have ridden it a number of times. Sounded like the marshalls did not do their job - a shame.

Cograts again. 1 down, many more to go!
2007-07-15 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
woo - hoo! Very nice first TRI experience..

Get yourself some shoes and pedals and watch that bike split improve.

You did great! I am so proud of you for towing the line and getting the first one under your belt.

Very nice swim & excellent run, as i know from RWOL that you have been working back from injury.

You must be on cloud nine!

Fantastico!

P.S. I didn't know you posted on BT....I will add you to my group of Favorites.
2007-07-15 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Hey Laura, I did the race too- how did you get your split times? I'm still waiting for them to be posted..
2007-07-16 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Great job Laura!! Awesome! Definitely a kick butt 1st tri!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vincentown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed