Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-07-17 6:01 PM
in reply to: #890154

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Gay couples and adoption
T in Liberty Lake - 2007-07-17 3:53 PM

I agree that it is sad that there are some children that are being abused by there heterosexual parents. But to use this as an argument for gay adoption seems a little silly. Are you really trying to say that no children have ever been abused by homosexual parents.

No, I don't think anyone is saying that. What people are saying is that with all the abuse cases you hear about in homes where the parents are hetero, it's ridiculous to say that hetero parents are always better for the child. Jerks come in all stripes. There's nothing sacred about being heterosexual. If someone can provide a loving, healthy home for a child who needs one, I say go for it.

2007-07-17 6:03 PM
in reply to: #890035

User image

Extreme Veteran
tkbslc - 2007-07-17 4:36 PM

dontracy,  I can respect many of your arguments.  They may be valid if two options exist for an orphaned child,  one being a gay couple and the other a straight married couple.   The problem is that there are kids who will NEVER be adopted otherwise.  Is it better to  potentially teach a child that it is OK to be gay, or to teach them that they are unwanted and unloved in this world?  I can't see how any religious argument could hold water when the option are gay parents or no parents(or foster care).   

I have to agree. I do think that the best situation for a child is to be in a home led by a married man and woman (not a single person, no matter the sexual orientation). That being said, I believe every child has the right to grow up in a home with a parent or parents that love them and will teach them and help them grow into the human beings that they were meant to be. So...to that extent, if there aren't enough straight couples to take care of all the children that need to be taken care of (and I am certain that there aren't) then I think that foster care/adoption should be opened up to anyone that is willing and able to care for the children.
2007-07-17 6:06 PM
in reply to: #890166

User image

Buttercup

T in Liberty Lake - 2007-07-17 7:00 PM Oh yes, that's a much better argument.

I'm not a fan of the sarcasm font; it mispresents sardonic which was my intent.

I don't know that anyone is making the argument that gay couples should have the right to adopt just because heterosexuals abuse, molest, neglect or kill their children. The argument is not about how badly heterosexual couples parent their children. That's a negative and, IMO, fallacious argument.

It's about the simple fact that gay couples can be just as good at parenting as a heterosexual couple. That homosexuality does not disqualify someone from being a capable parent - except for the ways in which people pass laws to disqualify them.

It's also about the reality that some heterosexual parents treat their children so badly, so abusively, so egregiously that the State has to step in and abrogate their parental rights and find a home for these children. In Florida, 85% of the 9,000+ children in foster care have been abused (that was the statistic a few years ago); I guess the other 15% were just excessively neglected. And there aren't enough homes, heterosexual couples don't want these wounded children... so why exclude homes for the sole reason that the wannabe parent is homosexual?

Edited by Renee 2007-07-17 6:24 PM
2007-07-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #890044

User image

Elite
mr2tony - 2007-07-17 5:40 PM

dontracy - 2007-07-17 4:30 PM

And simply because it can't be stated too often:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Our country and our government was founded in order to secure natural laws that were endowed by a creator.

There is no `creator' ... what you call `God' is a myth someone wrote in a book 1,000 years ago. That's my belief. That said I respect those who believe in god, go to church, worship, chant, repent and so on. But PLEASE don't allow what you believe to dictate how I live MY life.

You'd say the same thing if you weren't allowed to get married and have kids because you were straight. Or bald. Or brown-haired. Or blonde. Or for whatever reason.

mr2tony deserves a "here here!" Nice post. (2000 years ago though) Just because a man likes putting his bike in a woman's garage doesn't make him a good parent. Just because a guy likes to put his bike in a man's garage doesn't make him a bad parent. Just because a lady likes...you get the picture.

If religious people weren't so darn interested in what people did in their bedrooms, people wouldn't even have to worry about identifying themselves as "gay" or "straight" or "bi" or whatever. People are people.

btw, the whole "creator" nonsense is wonderful. Let's get really specific with the semantics and point out how it says Men...not Men and Women. Long-haired, sexist drug users...dang, they sound like rock stars!

Back on track. I'd be happy if people who procreated actually took the time to plan instead of fatalistically "leaving it in the hands of god." The great part about adoption or IVF is that the kids have to be planned. How great is that?
2007-07-17 6:30 PM
in reply to: #890108

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

"What difference does a parents'/couples' sexual orientation have to do with whether they're a suitable parent, or not?"

Because I personally see 0 difference between straight and gay people in terms of their ability to parent on sexual orientation alone. "Parenting ability" varies from individual to individual. The willingness to make the sacrifices and hard decisions that's required of parenting is about 28 billion times more important than whom you sleep with. 

I couldn't agree more.

I do not see what relevance a person's sexuality has to do with providing care to a child in a loving environment. More power to any person who wants to adopt.

2007-07-17 6:33 PM
in reply to: #890190

User image

Mountain View, CA

The great part about adoption or IVF is that the kids have to be planned. How great is that?

Not to mention proper use of birth control.  

2007-07-17 6:36 PM
in reply to: #890137

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

I agree. I think Don is wrong too. Frown

I think folks know that it's fine with me if you disagree. Thankfully, this thread has pretty much stayed away from personal attacks. So it's all good.

Plus I'm sure there are a lot of folks who agree with me, at least to some extent, and prefer not to post for whatever reason.

As far as the foundation of our government goes, (and I don't think it's too much of a hijack, the OPs edit lead to Possum's question which led to my response which was to try to state a reason for opposing gay adoption), I understand the the constitution is morally neutral. The thinking of the founders of our country, however, was not. And their thinking is well articulated in the Declaration of Independence.

You're correct that the term "natural law" itself is not used in the quote from the declaration, but the appeal to the endowment of rights by a creator is certainly based in natural law. No question about that.

And as far as processing, I think it is really important with a question like this. At it's core, we're talking about how we are going to form society going forward. As far as I can tell, the argument for gay marriage, as well as other forms of relationships that come out of the free love movement, is based on the notion of personal opinion; that if enough people believe something is ok then it should be ok.

How do you test that against some standard to see if it holds up? What's the downside to building a society that, to me, seems to be built on shifting sand?

The founders talked about deep and eternal truths and based our form of government to the end of securing the rights derived from those deep truths.

What deep truths are proponents of gay rights building on? It's worth exploring.

As far as religion and myth go, maybe I'll weigh in on another thread. I don't think I brought up religion at all. It was opponents of my argument who brought up religion. I brought up natural law, which is a philosophy. And philosophy is something that can be universally known across religious lines.

FWIW, my father was an orphan who was never adopted. He had an extremely difficult childhood. One thing he taught me, though, was that the truth was more important than a person's individual wants and desires. He taught me to always seek the truth no matter what the personal cost. I only wish I had heeded his wise advice earlier in my life.

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-17 6:46 PM
2007-07-17 7:17 PM
in reply to: #890044

User image

mr2tony - You'd say the same thing if you weren't allowed to get married and have kids because you were straight. Or bald. Or brown-haired. Or blonde. Or for whatever reason.

But here we're not talking about human appearances (and how did you know I was bald ), rather, we're talking about the redefinition of what marriage itself is.

That's a big deal.

And the burden of proof is on you to explain why we as a society ought to do that.

So far all I hear are emotional appeals. Not very convincing.

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-17 7:17 PM
2007-07-17 7:28 PM
in reply to: #890264

User image

Mountain View, CA
dontracy - 2007-07-17 5:17 PM

mr2tony - You'd say the same thing if you weren't allowed to get married and have kids because you were straight. Or bald. Or brown-haired. Or blonde. Or for whatever reason.

But here we're not talking about human appearances (and how did you know I was bald ), rather, we're talking about the redefinition of what marriage itself is.

That's a big deal.

And the burden of proof is on you to explain why we as a society ought to do that.

So far all I hear are emotional appeals. Not very convincing.

Is it an emotional appeal to say that a right that is extended to some members of a society ought to be extended to all? I don't think so. "Why we as a society ought to do that" is very simple: everyone is (supposed to be) equal in the law's eyes.

Personally, I think the government should get out of the "marriage" business. Let civil unions be the legal institution, available to all, and leave marriage to religion. If your religion wants to restrict marriage to one man and one woman, that's its prerogative. But when the government uses the gender of whom a person loves to withhold that person's right to participate in a civil institution, that's not equality, that's discrimination.

Not to derail the thread or anything...

Edited by puellasolis 2007-07-17 7:29 PM
2007-07-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #890279

User image

puellasolis -

Is it an emotional appeal to say that a right that is extended to some members of a society ought to be extended to all? I don't think so. "Why we as a society ought to do that" is very simple: everyone is (supposed to be) equal in the law's eyes.

Yes, it's an emotional appeal.

Right now, with rare exception, everyone past a certain age has the right to marry. What they don't have the right to do is marry close relatives or, in most states, someone of the same sex.

You want to redefine the very definition of marriage. That definition goes beyond "two people who love each other".

So yes, it's an emotional appeal to simply say that it's discrimination to not allow gay marriage.

Personally, I think the government should get out of the "marriage" business.

And there it is.

This issue often comes down to the idea that government should get out of the marriage business. It confirms the concern of opponents of gay marriage who say that the part of the agenda is to dismantle the institution of marriage.

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-17 7:57 PM
2007-07-17 8:05 PM
in reply to: #890315

User image

Mountain View, CA
dontracy - 2007-07-17 5:57 PM
puellasolis -

Right now, with rare exception, everyone past a certain age has the right to marry. What they don't have the right to do is marry close relatives or, in most states, someone of the same sex.

You want to redefine the very definition of marriage. That definition goes beyond "two people who love each other".

So yes, it's an emotional appeal to simply say that it's discrimination to not allow gay marriage.

And there it is.

This issue often comes down to the idea that government should get out of the marriage business. It confirms the concern of opponents of gay marriage who say that the part of the agenda is to dismantle the institution of marriage.

But, what argument do you have that the government should be in the business of marriage? What is marriage, to you? Is it a state conferring certain legal responsibilities and privileges? Or is it something to do with your religion? If the latter, why should the government be involved in that? 

The justifications I've most commonly heard given by opponents of gay marriage come down to "God/the Bible tells us it's wrong." That, to me, is not a justification that ought to be enshrined in civil law. That's a religious distinction, and as such, belongs only in religion.

2007-07-17 8:13 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
dontracy - 2007-07-17 5:57 PM
puellasolis -

And there it is.

I don't think that the institution of marriage should be "dismantled" any more than I think that two gay people committing to one another undermine two straight people's commitment to each other--which is to say, not at all. I do think that marriage as a "God says it should be one man and one woman" institution should be confined to the religious sphere, rather than the civil. And I am all for having an entity that includes all of the legal trappings of the current idea of marriage, but none of the discrimination.

2007-07-17 8:13 PM

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2007-07-17 8:57 PM

I disagree. It is a marriage contract that we enter into when we marry. Who else would ensure that marital rights are ensured when we enter into this contract? Property ownership, inheritance, probate - all civil matters, not unlike when we incorporate a company. That is why the state has a stake in regulating marriage - because there are property rights involved. It's been that way for thousands of years.

I would like just like to see the government bestow these civil privileges equally, to heterosexual and homosexual couples alike. End the codified bigotry and discrimination.

As for the various and sundry wedding sacraments, that's an entirely different subject.

Edited by Renee 2007-07-17 8:23 PM
2007-07-17 8:16 PM
in reply to: #890324

User image

puellasolis -

But, what argument do you have that the government should be in the business of marriage? What is marriage, to you? Is it a state conferring certain legal responsibilities and privileges? Or is it something to do with your religion? If the latter, why should the government be involved in that?

Great questions Anne.

Here is a solid natural law argument about what marriage is, by Princeton professor Robert P. George:

"Here is the core of the traditional understanding: Marriage is a two-in-one-flesh communion of persons that is consummated and actualized by acts that are reproductive in type, whether or not they are reproductive in effect (or are motivated, even in part, by a desire to reproduce). The bodily union of spouses in marital acts is the biological matrix of their marriage as a multi-level relationship: that is, a relationship that unites persons at the bodily, emotional, dispositional, and spiritual levels of their being. Marriage, precisely as such a relationship , is naturally ordered to the good of procreation (and to the nurturing and education of children) as well as to the good of spousal unity, and these goods are tightly bound together. The distinctive unity of spouses is possible because human (like other mammalian) males and females, by mating, unite organically - they become a single reproductive principle. Although reproduction is a single act, in humans (and other mammals) the reproductive act is performed not by individual members of the species, but by a mated pair as an organic unit."

No mention of God there at all.

Government should be in the business of marriage, because the state has a stake in the raising and nurturing of children. This is even acknowledge in the opinion of the court in Roe v. Wade.

My religion informs my conscience, but I believe in a pluralistic society I cannot impose my strictly religious opinions on others. For example, I couldn't in good conscience require that everyone be baptized.

Marriage, however, is something that cuts across religious lines. I think as long as you use a common language, such as philosophy, to make the arguments, then positions that may also be held by religious groups are legitimate.

[I may need to cut out here in a second, so I'll check back later] 

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-17 8:17 PM
2007-07-17 8:19 PM
in reply to: #890333

User image

puellasolis -

I don't think that the institution of marriage should be "dismantled" ..

Duly noted. I shouldn't have put words in your mouth. Sorry 'bout that.

2007-07-17 8:22 PM
in reply to: #890335

User image

Renee -

It is a marriage contract that we enter into when we marry.  

I'm just thinking out loud here:

Is it a contract, or a covenant?  The idea of a civil covenant is not completely foreign, since we still swear oaths in court.  Oath swearing has a solid connection to the notion of covenant.

OK, carry on...  

2007-07-17 8:24 PM
in reply to: #890350

User image

Buttercup

It's a marriage contract where the state is concerned.

You may enter into a marriage covenant during your religious ceremony when marriage sacraments are conferred upon you but that is not a civil matter.

2007-07-17 8:41 PM
in reply to: #890345

User image

Mountain View, CA
dontracy - 2007-07-17 6:19 PM
puellasolis -

I don't think that the institution of marriage should be "dismantled" ..

Duly noted. I shouldn't have put words in your mouth. Sorry 'bout that.

No worries.  

2007-07-17 8:44 PM
in reply to: #890339

User image

Mountain View, CA

Here is a solid natural law argument about what marriage is, by Princeton professor Robert P. George:

"Here is the core of the traditional understanding: Marriage is a two-in-one-flesh communion of persons that is consummated and actualized by acts that are reproductive in type, whether or not they are reproductive in effect (or are motivated, even in part, by a desire to reproduce). The bodily union of spouses in marital acts is the biological matrix of their marriage as a multi-level relationship: that is, a relationship that unites persons at the bodily, emotional, dispositional, and spiritual levels of their being. Marriage, precisely as such a relationship , is naturally ordered to the good of procreation (and to the nurturing and education of children) as well as to the good of spousal unity, and these goods are tightly bound together. The distinctive unity of spouses is possible because human (like other mammalian) males and females, by mating, unite organically - they become a single reproductive principle. Although reproduction is a single act, in humans (and other mammals) the reproductive act is performed not by individual members of the species, but by a mated pair as an organic unit."

No mention of God there at all.

Indeed. Good point. 

Government should be in the business of marriage, because the state has a stake in the raising and nurturing of children. This is even acknowledge in the opinion of the court in Roe v. Wade.

So, then, we've come full-circle. If marriage is a state entered into with the aim of raising children, why not allow gay folks to marry and adopt children? (Or engage in some variety of IVF

2007-07-17 8:54 PM
in reply to: #889489

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

dudes, you should all just shut the heck up and give me a baby!

2007-07-17 8:57 PM
in reply to: #890392

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
possum - 2007-07-17 8:54 PM

dudes, you should all just shut the heck up and give me a baby!

Heh. Yes!  

2007-07-17 9:06 PM
in reply to: #889867

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-17 3:46 PM

Just one more point:

• Gay adoption teaches children that parental gender is irrelevant. It teaches that two mothers, or two fathers, are the equivalent of a mother and a father in developing a child's psyche. Looking at the whole of society, this is false.

For example, in Spain a law was recently passed that forbids the use of the words "mother" and "father" on birth certificates, and replaces those words with the terms "progenitor A and progenitor B".

You failed to address how any of this is actually bad, other than your religion tells you it is.  You try to wrap your religious conviction in something you call "Natural Law", but it doesn't change what it is and where you derive it.

Your convictions are not based in love, and that to me is sad.  You'd rather rationalize it away and find ways to tell Hollis she is unworthy to be a parent.  To me, someone who thinks that way is less worthy than someone who's heart is full of love.  These ideas are backwards thinking, and rooted in the past.  As we look back 50 years we see the same attitudes and arguments against interracial marriage and such, and we ( hopefully ) see those ideas as discriminatory, narrow-minded, and antiquated.  I fervently hope that in less than another 50 years, we look back on the anti-gay marriage/adoption/equality and have come to a similar societal conclusion.

That's all I've got to add to this.

-Chris

2007-07-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: #890377

User image

puellasolis -

So, then, we've come full-circle. If marriage is a state entered into with the aim of raising children, why not allow gay folks to marry and adopt children?  

OK, one more part to this: the family is the essential building block of society, and marriage is the core institution of the family.

So if one accepts that the family is the essential building block of society.

And if RP George is correct about what constitutes a "marriage", namely that it is a two in one flesh union of persons, which is only possible between a man and a woman.

Then the state has an interest in promoting that children are raised and nurtured within a "marriage" in order to ensure that the essential building block of society is perpetuated.

It takes a while to unpack George's argument, at least it took me a while.  But I think within his argument you'll see that the sole aim of marriage is not necessarily the raising and nurturing of children, but rather the possibility of it is something that makes up the total matrix of the union

2007-07-17 9:15 PM
in reply to: #890404

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-17 9:07 PM
puellasolis -

So, then, we've come full-circle. If marriage is a state entered into with the aim of raising children, why not allow gay folks to marry and adopt children?

OK, one more part to this: the family is the essential building block of society, and marriage is the core institution of the family.

So if one accepts that the family is the essential building block of society.

And if RP George is correct about what constitutes a "marriage", namely that it is a two in one flesh union of persons, which is only possible between a man and a woman.

Then the state has an interest in promoting that children are raised and nurtured within a "marriage" in order to ensure that the essential building block of society is perpetuated.

It takes a while to unpack George's argument, at least it took me a while. But I think within his argument you'll see that the sole aim of marriage is not necessarily the raising and nurturing of children, but rather the possibility of it is something that makes up the total matrix of the union

One party has a penis, one party has a vagina.  That's all that's required to call it a marriage and bless the union?

What happened to love, commitment, and a desire to spend the rest of your lives together, and what do any of those have to do with anatomy?

2007-07-17 9:20 PM
in reply to: #890401

User image

coredump -

You failed to address how any of this is actually bad, other than your religion tells you it is. You try to wrap your religious conviction in something you call "Natural Law", but it doesn't change what it is and where you derive it.

Your convictions are not based in love, and that to me is sad.

Look, people who disagree with these ideas can't have it both ways. You can't on the one hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in religion and then on the other hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in reason.

Which is it?

It seems like you're saying that natural law is religion. But it's not. It's a philosophy that attempts to understand the meaning of the moral life through reason. It would be like saying that Aristotle's notion of the prime mover was religion.

If my ideas do not seem to be based in love, then I guess I need to learn to be a better writer. In fact, I use to hold ideas consistent with what most of the posters on this thread have written. I use to support gay marriage, as well as a whole slew of other things.

Actually, it was love that helped show me where I was wrong. It was people who loved me enough to challenge me.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gay couples and adoption Rss Feed  

of 8