Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-07-17 9:23 PM
in reply to: #890413

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Gay couples and adoption
coredump -

What happened to love, commitment, and a desire to spend the rest of your lives together, and what do any of those have to do with anatomy?

Again, if you want a reasoned argument, then you have to deal with the language of reason.

You're a scientist, right?

You can either describe a sunset through poetry or physics. If everyone keeps telling you that you need to stop using poetry in your description, then you use physics. But when you turn to physics, it's not fair if they then criticize you for using mathematical formulas.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-17 9:23 PM

2007-07-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #890428

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-17 9:20 PM
coredump -

You failed to address how any of this is actually bad, other than your religion tells you it is. You try to wrap your religious conviction in something you call "Natural Law", but it doesn't change what it is and where you derive it.

Your convictions are not based in love, and that to me is sad.

Look, people who disagree with these ideas can't have it both ways. You can't on the one hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in religion and then on the other hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in reason.

Which is it?

It seems like you're saying that natural law is religion. But it's not. It's a philosophy that attempts to understand the meaning of the moral life through reason. It would be like saying that Aristotle's notion of the prime mover was religion.

If my ideas do not seem to be based in love, then I guess I need to learn to be a better writer. In fact, I use to hold ideas consistent with what most of the posters on this thread have written. I use to support gay marriage, as well as a whole slew of other things.

Actually, it was love that helped show me where I was wrong. It was people who loved me enough to challenge me.

I'm saying that your Natural Law argument is merely repackaged religious based justification to deny rights to gay people.

Let's not beat around the bush here, your glowing descriptions of joined-in-one-flesh unions are distracting, but you are arguing that anyone who is gay is less worthy/qualified/capable of being a good parent to a child than someone who is hetero.  And you support denying them rights that you yourself enjoy.

Wrap it up however you want, you are advocating the continued discrimination and treatment of gay people as something less than human, less than equal, or less than you.  I doubt you can ever convince me that you do that out of love.

2007-07-17 9:38 PM
in reply to: #890444

User image

coredump -

I doubt you can ever convince me ...

Chris, I'm incapable of convincing you or anyone else of anything.  All I can do is propose things and share what I've found.

It seems like you're accusing me of playing some sort of wolf in sheep's clothing game, where the wolf is religion and the sheep skin is reason.

Look if you don't want to consider an argument like George's, that's fine. 

For myself, it's difficult to constantly hear how ideas held by religious people are invalid simply because they're religious, and then go out and do the work of finding strictly reason based arguments, and then have that reasoned based argument be dismissed out of hand without being thoroughly considered.

I mean, who really has trust in reason here, the religious guy or the secular guy? 

2007-07-17 9:49 PM
in reply to: #890454

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-17 9:38 PM
coredump -

I doubt you can ever convince me ...

Chris, I'm incapable of convincing you or anyone else of anything. All I can do is propose things and share what I've found.

It seems like you're accusing me of playing some sort of wolf in sheep's clothing game, where the wolf is religion and the sheep skin is reason.

Look if you don't want to consider an argument like George's, that's fine.

For myself, it's difficult to constantly hear how ideas held by religious people are invalid simply because they're religious, and then go out and do the work of finding strictly reason based arguments, and then have that reasoned based argument be dismissed out of hand without being thoroughly considered.

I mean, who really has trust in reason here, the religious guy or the secular guy?

You're still missing my point that you are advocating the continuation of discrimination and denial of equality to gay couples.

There is no argument, religious, natural law, or otherwise that will convince me that continuing to discriminate and treat as less human is the right thing to do.  Okay, there may be one, but I'm extremly doubtful that you can make one, just as I doubt that you can make one that would convince me that interracial marriage should be barred, or that women should not be allowed to vote, etc.

You want to continue to deny rights that you enjoy to gay people, simply because they are gay.
Yes or No?

A gay person is less human and less deserving of rights than you are.  Yes or no?

2007-07-17 10:41 PM
in reply to: #890470

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

coredump - 2007-07-17 8:49 PM

You're still missing my point that you are advocating the continuation of discrimination and denial of equality to gay couples.

There is no argument, religious, natural law, or otherwise that will convince me that continuing to discriminate and treat as less human is the right thing to do.  Okay, there may be one, but I'm extremly doubtful that you can make one, just as I doubt that you can make one that would convince me that interracial marriage should be barred, or that women should not be allowed to vote, etc.

You want to continue to deny rights that you enjoy to gay people, simply because they are gay.
Yes or No?

A gay person is less human and less deserving of rights than you are.  Yes or no?

Here's my thoughts.  (I am not saying that I feel this way)

Is it discriminatory to deny a drug user or other criminal the right to adopt children?  You would probably say it is not discriminitory because it is denying them a privelege based on their choices.   Well one could argue that being in a  homosexual relationship is a choice, therefore it is not discriminitory to deny them a privelege based on the actions they have chosen.   (not saying gay == criminal just that they are both choices in a way)

Would your same argument hold up if it was a man and 2 women, or 3 men, or a brother and sister?   There has to be a line drawn besides just being in love and willing to raise a child.  

2007-07-17 11:13 PM
in reply to: #890009

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Well, Montana seems to have no specific prohibition against gay couples. So, YAY MONTANA!

42-1-106. Who may adopt. The following individuals who otherwise meet the requirements of this title are eligible to adopt a child:
     (1) a husband and wife jointly or either the husband or wife if the other spouse is a parent of the child;
     (2) an unmarried individual who is at least 18 years of age; or
     (3) a married individual at least 18 years of age who is legally separated from the other spouse or whose spouse has judicially been declared incompetent.

Personally, I don't understand the idea of prohibiting gays from adopting. So, is it better to let a single person adopt? Why? A single heterosexual would also be incapable of producing a child on their own, so is that amoral too?

You know what I can say for sure, though? The world isn't perfect yet and working to prevent willing, capable people from adopting otherwise unwanted children is a disservice. Once the world is otherwise perfect, go for it. Ban gays, singles, people with a third nipple and the handicapped from adopting. Have a freakin' ball, but find something more important in the meantime.

2007-07-17 11:26 PM
in reply to: #890522

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
tkbslc - 2007-07-17 10:41 PM

coredump - 2007-07-17 8:49 PM

There is no argument, religious, natural law, or otherwise that will convince me that continuing to discriminate and treat as less human is the right thing to do. Okay, there may be one, but I'm extremly doubtful that you can make one, just as I doubt that you can make one that would convince me that interracial marriage should be barred, or that women should not be allowed to vote, etc.

Yes or No?

A gay person is less human and less deserving of rights than you are. Yes or no?

Here's my thoughts. (I am not saying that I feel this way)

Is it discriminatory to deny a drug user or other criminal the right to adopt children? You would probably say it is not discriminitory because it is denying them a privelege based on their choices. Well one could argue that being in a homosexual relationship is a choice, therefore it is not discriminitory to deny them a privelege based on the actions they have chosen. (not saying gay == criminal just that they are both choices in a way)

Would your same argument hold up if it was a man and 2 women, or 3 men, or a brother and sister? There has to be a line drawn besides just being in love and willing to raise a child.

Being gay isn't a concious choice. If you think it is but are not gay, did you chose to be straight?  When?  Why? ( you in the general sense, no you specifcally ).

Discrimination is the denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups because of prejudice and for other arbitrary reasons. Treating criminals differently from non-criminals ( where the crime is a serious crime, not a jaywalking ticket ) would be a stretch to be called discrimination. Being convicted of a crime is not an arbitrary reason.

A couple is admittedly arbitrary, and I have no opposition in principle to any of the cases you pose in the second paragraph based on the details you provide.

Edited by coredump 2007-07-17 11:27 PM
2007-07-17 11:49 PM
in reply to: #889489

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Kuddos to all involved in this very interesting discussion.

I am new to the forum as of a few weeks ago and I cannot believe how civil this conversation has remained!

Great to be at a site that does not go straight to personal attacks and bickering but instead has a great discussion with respect for eachother.

What a great site!
2007-07-18 7:38 AM

User image

Providence
All this talk about morality and gay marriage (when really we were talking about adoption...) made me think of something I learned in... oh 6th grade or something....

Separation of Church and State...

Anyone else remember that? Anyone? Anyone? I think that some people in power have forgotten about that.

This country, the most developed country in the world, should allow gay adoption (and gay marriage since APPARENTLY the two go hand in hand?). What a disservice it is to the children of the United States of America to have them sit in orphanges and bounce from foster home to foster home when there are so many willing, able, and qualified people who would love to adopt. I am a social worker and I've worked in the foster care system in several states... Illinois, Mississippi, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Mississippi had the strictest rules regarding adoption.. citing that heterosexual people were the only ones allowed to adopt. I worked in a rather large county in Mississippi and we were in the process of building an emergency shelter because there were only 2 foster homes in our county with 125+ children in foster care. The majority of those children were placed in another county so not only were they removed from their family, they were removed from everything familiar to them, all within 2 seconds. But I guess that's better than letting a gay couple (or single) adopt....
2007-07-18 7:55 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

This is what I found for Illinois.

Who Is Eligible To Adopt?

Many people are under the impression that they cannot adopt if they are single, over forty years of age or not affiliated with a church or religious organization. This is not true. Though some adoption agencies have either explicit or unspoken requirements for applicants, the only requirements adopting parents must meet under Illinois law are that they:

1. Are at least 18 years of age and under no legal disability,
  2. Have been continuous residents of the State of Illinois for at least six months prior to filing the Petition, and,
  3. If married, both spouses must join in the Petition.

Certain criminal convictions of the potential adoptive parents or others living in their home may prevent the adoptive parents from being issued a foster family license in Illinois, thus barring them from adopting through a licensed child welfare agency in Illinois.

http://www.illinois-adoption-law.com/adopt_who_can.html

2007-07-18 8:16 AM
in reply to: #890404

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-17 9:07 PM

OK, one more part to this: the family is the essential building block of society, and marriage is the core institution of the family.

So if one accepts that the family is the essential building block of society.

Don, I'm glad you're sticking this one out as it must be tiring to participate in these threads the way you do.  Because I know the beatings you take I try to stay in the background most of the time but I wanted to point something out.  In another thread you brought up the "poets vs. scientist" viewpoints.  This goes back to my original point near the beginning of this thread.  And yes, I admit I was probably the first one to bring up religion in your arguments even though you did not.  But it is there.  I think the main problem that most people  have with many of your arguments is that the attributes ascribed in your arguments to the institutions of marriage and family are as much a shifting foundation upon which to build an argument as you believe your opponents are leaning on for their arguments.  Many people come from broken homes.  Bad marriages, bad parents, etc.  The terms marriage and family don't evoke the same sense of societal foundation in them that they do when you present them in your arguments.

You claim that the thousands of years of family unit based societies prove that the family is the essential building block of society.  If asked to define family, I'm sure you will eloquently state what it has traditionally been.   Well traditionally based families have gotten us to where we are now.  Your arguments about how awful things would be if these traditional models are changed or destroyed make me wonder, how much worse could it get?  Seriously.  If you are going to use the existing model of what has been to insist that it should remain that way it's a pretty weak argument when you look around at the results, in my opinion. 

The other reason that I brought up religion was to tie together the Church's positions on birth control and abortion, both of which lead to increasing the number of unwanted births, and contrast that with the idea of refusing to allow certain groups of people who may be ready, willing and able to be great adoptive parents. 

To shorten all of this, let me put it like this:

1.  Situation A sucks.
2.  Solution G is proposed.
3.  Party C opposes G because it will lead to a bad situation.

Well, we already have a bad situation.  I believe that Party C is wrong and it will NOT lead to a bad situation, but that even if they were right it won't be any worse than the situation A that we already have.

Meanwhile, (and I only use her as an example because she volunteere the information) somewhere there is someone like Whizzzzz in an orphanage or with foster parents who is not being adopted while we argue in the theoretical.

If that is labeled as an emotional appeal that's fine with me.  Emotions make me who I am and I do not believe it lessens the validity of my argument. 

2007-07-18 8:22 AM
in reply to: #890392

User image

Buttercup
possum - 2007-07-17 9:54 PM

dudes, you should all just shut the heck up and give me a baby!

Hah! Indeed!

Civil privileges, applied equally. Real simple. Simple logic. Reasonable.

The slippery slope argument that society will go to hell-in-a-handbasket? Fallacious logic 101. Really, there's no logic there. Rhetoric not worthy of deconstructing, it's so specious.

Hangloose, it's nice that you couch your response to Don so delicately, but I would counter that Don is not taking a beating - his ideas and rhetoric are taking a beating. 

Edited by Renee 2007-07-18 8:40 AM
2007-07-18 9:03 AM
in reply to: #890470

User image

coredump -

Yes or No?

No.

A gay person is less human and less deserving of rights than you are. Yes or no?

No 

2007-07-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: #890730

User image

msb83 - Separation of Church and State... Anyone else remember that? Anyone?

Again, for my part I did not bring up the question of religion here.

Plus, the meaning of the separation of church and state is to protect religious groups and their members by not allowing the establishment of a state church.  It was never intended to mean that persons whos consciences are informed by religious teachings cannot bring their consciences to bear in civil matters.

If anything, the danger here is that we are slowly forming a state religion of secularism.   

2007-07-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #890428

User image

Master
dontracy - 2007-07-17 9:20 PM

coredump -

You failed to address how any of this is actually bad, other than your religion tells you it is. You try to wrap your religious conviction in something you call "Natural Law", but it doesn't change what it is and where you derive it.

Your convictions are not based in love, and that to me is sad.

Look, people who disagree with these ideas can't have it both ways. You can't on the one hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in religion and then on the other hand say that opposing gay rights is invalid because it's based in reason.

Which is it?

It seems like you're saying that natural law is religion. But it's not. It's a philosophy that attempts to understand the meaning of the moral life through reason. It would be like saying that Aristotle's notion of the prime mover was religion.

enge me.

From law dictionary.com (Blacks provides a near identical definition):

n. 1) standards of conduct derived from traditional moral principles (first mentioned by Roman jurists in the first century A.D.) and/or God's law and will. The biblical ten commandments, such as "thou shall not kill," are often included in those principles. Natural law assumes that all people believe in the same Judeo-Christian God and thus share an understanding of natural law premises. 2) the body of laws derived from nature and reason, embodied in the Declaration of Independence assertion that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness." 3) the opposite of "positive law," which is created by mankind through the state.

"Natural Law" law is a tool through which religious people seek to impose their "morality" and philosophy on others by attempting to make their ideas appear to be based in reason and "law" as opposed to religious faith. Natural law presupposes the existence of a creator and therefore is religious. Natural law has been used in support of such delightful ideas as slavery, segregation and against women's suffrage.
2007-07-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #890786

User image

Renee -

but I would counter that Don is not taking a beating - his ideas and rhetoric are taking a beating.

yea, I think that's right...

although they haven't been knocked out by a long shot...

in fact, they've hardly been touched, as far as I can tell... 

watch out for the rope-a-dope...  

2007-07-18 9:13 AM
in reply to: #890880

User image

Master
dontracy - 2007-07-18 9:08 AM

msb83 - Separation of Church and State... Anyone else remember that? Anyone?

Again, for my part I did not bring up the question of religion here.

Plus, the meaning of the separation of church and state is to protect religious groups and their members by not allowing the establishment of a state church.  It was never intended to mean that persons whos consciences are informed by religious teachings cannot bring their consciences to bear in civil matters.

If anything, the danger here is that we are slowly forming a state religion of secularism.   

Secularism is not a religion - But oh how I long for a truly secular government.

Edited by MUL98 2007-07-18 9:13 AM
2007-07-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #890871

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-18 9:03 AM
coredump -

Yes or No?

No.

No

How do you reconcile/rationalize those answers with your stance against gay marriage/adoption and codifing into law the denial of those rights?

-- 

In other news, hooray for my hometown:

Oak Park trustees back same-sex civil unions in Illinois

Tribune staff report
Published July 17, 2007, 10:03 PM CDT

With a unanimous vote by the Village Board on a resolution this week, Oak Park became the first municipality to support pending legislation that would establish civil unions for same-sex couples in Illinois.

House Bill 1826, known as the Religious Freedom and Civil Unions Act, would establish civil unions for same-sex couples, allowing them access to pension and insurance benefits, inheritance rights and to have legal standing to make medical decisions for their partner.

It's a start.

2007-07-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #890888

User image

Buttercup

Well of course - because it's just rhetoric. Opinions.

2007-07-18 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

And for those that missed it at the time:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/03/11/catholic_charities_stuns_state_ends_adoptions/

Catholic Charities stuns state, ends adoptions

Gay issue stirred move by agency

In a stunning turn of events, Archbishop Sean P. O'Malley and leaders of Catholic Charities of Boston announced yesterday that the agency will end its adoption work, deciding to abandon its founding mission, rather than comply with state law requiring that gays be allowed to adopt children.

2007-07-18 9:19 AM
in reply to: #890775

User image

hangloose -

To shorten all of this, let me put it like this:

1. Situation A sucks.
2. Solution G is proposed.
3. Party C opposes G because it will lead to a bad situation.

Well, we already have a bad situation. I believe that Party C is wrong and it will NOT lead to a bad situation, but that even if they were right it won't be any worse than the situation A that we already have.

Those are really good points.  The question I have is, how did we get here?

I'd say that one innovation that has caused ireperable harm to the family are no-fault divorce laws.  And I say this as someone who's gone through this.

So let's look at all of the pressures that have been bearing down on the family and have cause the institution to be in the state that it's in right now.  What changes can we make that can strengthen the family without introducing further innovations.

It will never be perfect, the liberalization of laws around family life don't seem to have helped so far.

2007-07-18 9:23 AM
in reply to: #890901

User image

Buttercup
coredump - 2007-07-18 10:15 AM

In other news, hooray for my hometown:

Oak Park trustees back same-sex civil unions in Illinois

Tribune staff report
Published July 17, 2007, 10:03 PM CDT

With a unanimous vote by the Village Board on a resolution this week, Oak Park became the first municipality to support pending legislation that would establish civil unions for same-sex couples in Illinois.

House Bill 1826, known as the Religious Freedom and Civil Unions Act, would establish civil unions for same-sex couples, allowing them access to pension and insurance benefits, inheritance rights and to have legal standing to make medical decisions for their partner.

It's a start.

That is awesome!

I really believe these odious DOMA laws will be reversed over time, just like prohibition was.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I like the way they articulated the point of marriage/civil unions - property rights, health insurance benefits, and medical decision making rights.

Edited by Renee 2007-07-18 9:25 AM
2007-07-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: #890264

User image

Champion
Chicago
dontracy - 2007-07-17 7:17 PM

mr2tony - You'd say the same thing if you weren't allowed to get married and have kids because you were straight. Or bald. Or brown-haired. Or blonde. Or for whatever reason.

But here we're not talking about human appearances (and how did you know I was bald ), rather, we're talking about the redefinition of what marriage itself is.

That's a big deal.

And the burden of proof is on you to explain why we as a society ought to do that.

So far all I hear are emotional appeals. Not very convincing.

Ah but now you're getting into whether homosexuality is a trait with which you're born or a choice. I concure it's a trait with which you're born. Others disagree.

It's my contention marriage laws should be changed to delete `between a man and a woman' to `between two consenting adults' because it's discriminatory. Archaic laws are often changed in this country to avoid even a hint of discrimination toward people of color, ethnic minorities, religious minorities and in some cases to avoid reverse discrimination. So why, when you have a minority group whose actions ``disgust'' some lawmakers, do laws not get changed? The simple answer is because those lawmakers are prejudice against the gay community.
2007-07-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: #890901

User image

coredump -

How do you reconcile/rationalize those answers with your stance against gay marriage/adoption and codifing into law the denial of those rights?

Because you're attempting to redefine what a marriage itself is.

If a marriage is rightly understood to be between one man and one woman, then there is no discrimination in saying that two men or two women cannot enter into it. 

2007-07-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: #890925

User image

Master
dontracy - 2007-07-18 9:24 AM

coredump -

Because you're attempting to redefine what a marriage itself is.

If a marriage is rightly understood to be between one man and one woman, then there is no discrimination in saying that two men or two women cannot enter into it. 

It's not "rightly understood as between one man and one woman." It's understood that way by people of certain religious sects.

Edited by MUL98 2007-07-18 9:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gay couples and adoption Rss Feed  

of 8