General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-23 6:26 AM
in reply to: #896362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis
Oh, didn't know that. I have pain in front of my heel, on the interior part, kind of like at the interior back part of my arch. My foot doctor says it is PF, but it sounds different than the other pain I am reading about here.

2007-07-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: #893855

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Nancylee,

Try something for a moment. Try massaging your calf muscles just below the knee and a bit towards the inside. Are there some very tender spots there? Maybe an inch or two below the knee?

If so, try massaging that area a few times a day, right on the most sore spot.
2007-11-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #893872

New user

To drdi, I'm surprised your Dr said keep running. I have severe PF in both feet and kept running w/it. I developed a stress fracture in my heel (where the fascia connects and pulls the heel bone as my arch collapses) within months and was sidelined in a hard cast & crutches for 6 horrible weeks. Then graduated to a walking boot. All in all I was completely unable to run for about 3-4 months and totally lost all of my fitness. Had to start from scratch. This was almost 2 years ago and I am still nowhere near where I was before as far as running speed/endurance. I am so glad you are still able to run w/it (but please be careful!), and I am posting this only because I want others with PF to know that it is NOT O.K. for everyone to keep running on it. Maybe some can handle it if it's not too severe, but for others it can turn into a nightmare. I still suffer daily with the pain. I have had custom orthotics made (no help at all), cortisone injections (no help at all), phys therapy (no help at all)....basically I just try not to run too much if it is really flaring up. My feet hurt constantly though, to the point where I almost don't "notice" it anymore because it's such a part of everyday life. Sorry to be rambling, like I said just wanted others to know not everyone can or should keep running on it. If anyone out there has any helpful (or otherwise) comments or experience w/this, please let me know.

Edited by supernova1971 2007-11-11 8:28 PM
2007-11-11 9:04 PM
in reply to: #896528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Ridgelake - 2007-07-23 8:08 AM

Nancylee,

Try something for a moment. Try massaging your calf muscles just below the knee and a bit towards the inside. Are there some very tender spots there? Maybe an inch or two below the knee?

If so, try massaging that area a few times a day, right on the most sore spot.

I have suffered from PF for over 7 years and had several injections into both heels which did give me relief. I tried the splints but could never sleep with them since I sleep on my stomach. I did and do the exercises and even lost 30 lbs which helped ease some of the pain. I also use special inserts in my shoes (and only wear shoes that I can put the inserts into). My podiatrist specializes in PF in Philadelphia and has access to all the new treatments. The biggest thing he told me was to NEVER walk around barefoot. I do wear a pair of CrocsRX designed for people with bad feet when I don't want to wear other shoes. My concern with starting to train for my first triathlon was that it would come back as bad as it was. Surprisingly, it has not and in fact seems to be bothering me less. I am not sure why but it is definitely improving over the past month.

I am writing now because I was suprised to read this post, ridglake, and tried what you suggested. I do have sore spots right where you described on both legs. Is that in fact what is causing the PF symptoms?

Randi
2007-11-12 8:02 PM
in reply to: #893855

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
What's been helping me lately more than anything with tight calf muscles and PF is simply stretching my hamstrings in addition to the calf muscles.  All I do is sit on the floor with legs extended, reach out, grab toes/feet and pull back to stretch the calf muscles.  Flexing the shins during this seems to enhance the stretch.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  

of 2