Vineman, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 17m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 105/118
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel, actually slelpt preety well. Quick shower, woke up the hubby and headed down to the car. Ate an uncrustable in the room.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site a bit later than I wanted to, so I rushed to go rack my bike, then got body marked. I had asked my mom to wait in line for me at the porta-potties while I was getting marked, but when she got to the front I was not back yet and she got out of line. Ugg, had to wait in line and 10 minutes before my wave I am 8 people back in line. I freaked and asked the people in front of me if I could cut the line. They let me, thankfully!! Applied sunscreen while in line and forgot to put it on my nose, oh well.

Ate a gel, kissed hubby, mom and dad and headed into to water.
Swim
  • 46m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

My group got into the water and we were all floating around. My nerves calmed and I thought to myself, later today you will be a "Half-Ironman". Suddenly the bull-horn goes off and we are looking at each-other is, "is that the start?" They did not do 10 or 5 second count-down, so no one knew if that was the start. Everyone assumed so, and just started swimming. Since there was no count-down I did not have my watch on the Chron mode, but did not realize this until the turn-around, damn! This swim for me was a disaster. No idea why, but my stroke would not come together for me. I had already done this swim in the river 3 times, my best swim was 38 minutes. Of course I pick race down to have a crap swim, oh well. I would think about my stroke and it dd not seem to help, then I just thought about the bike and that was not helping either. Goggles filled with water more time than I could count, of course that never happened when I was training with them! Ugg!! Tried to draft, but kept getting passed. Figured I would be the last one in my wave out of the water and was shocked to see quite a few bikes still in T1.

Got out of the water and saw my parents right away which was cool! I knew my time sucked so I sprinted up to my bike and bumped into another girl getting out of the water. The announcer yells, "if you can't beat your competition, knock 'em down". That was kinda funny.
What would you do differently?:

No idea what happened to my swim, guess it was an off day in the water
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Came out of the water and ran passed my bike rack. Thankfully Matt (hubby) was right there and yelled, "Ab 2 rows back!" Had a good T1, came in 34th in that in my AG!! Yippee! Took of the goggles and swim cap, bagged them up and handed it over the fance to Matt. (2 different transitions in this race). Threw on my bike shoes, no socks. Carried my bike to the carpet and ran/walked it up the hill. One guy in front of me was riding up the hill and got flat immediately, ugg!

Good transition for me, so no issues
Bike
  • 3h 26m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike start is 5 miles of flat and I kept thinkng to myself as tons of people passed me "ride your race, don't blow-up". Also thought, "Am I the only person without race wheels?"

The course is lots of rollers and not exactly a smooth surface. Kept eating my gels, sport beans and sipping my Nuuns in the aero-bottle. Had great water bottle hand-ups! Although I kept focusing on not falling, crashing into a volunteer or dropping the bottles during the aid stations that I would forget that I had to pee. Porta-potties were at the 3 aid stations.

Ok, I have not told my hubby or anyone in my family this, but I peed while on the bike. Of course I can admit this here on BT :) I was impressed and disgusted with myself at the same time. Oh well, when you gotta go, you gotta go! I sprayed the water all over me and felt ok about it.

The course if flat for a bit after the second aid station. I pass a girl and yell where are those down-hills, I'm tired of the flats" She said, "yea I can;t wait to coast". Got passed by more people and got some compliments on my Guru, loved that!

Saw a few people with flats and road rash. At mile 41-42 I launch my water bottle, sh-t! No water left in aero-bottle and no more aid stations on the course. This mean no more Nuun and I can't eat my gels without any water. Seriously thought about stopping to grab one on the road, but thought I might wind up with some disease. Yep, this coming from the girl who just peed herself!

Made it up Chalk Hill and saw 2 guys walking their bikes up-hill. said to myself, "you did not come here to walk your bike". Thing went ok until mile 48 and suddenly got sharp pains in my right knee that I have never had before. everyone down stroke was torture. WTF, this has never happened before!! Peddled with my left and let my right leg kinda go along for the ride. I was in pain and wanted to cry. I kept telling myself you almost there, just relax.

Then at mile 50 or 51 a guy 20 yards or so behind me gets hit by a car!! I freak out and don;t know if I should turn around and help or not. I see others behind me and the cop is about 50 yards behind the biker, so I continue on. Now I really want off the bike! My knee is throbbing and I feel guilty about the guy who got hit by the car. I yell at my knee and repeat to myself, "no pain, no pain". Finally see the turn in point for the bike and dismount.

I walk my bike through transition, legs don't feel like jello, but the knee is not looking good. I see Matt standing by my row for the bike transition and he yells, You're doing great sweety!" I yell back, "my knee is f-ed!" and everyone around him starts laughing. I tell him, I'll have to walk the half-mary and that it'll be about 3 hours. He says, "i'll be here, you are going to finish!"

Don't launch my water bottle. Pick up a random water bottle that someone else has dropped, since having biked so many miles without hydration/electrolytes/gus, I cramped on the run.
Transition 2
  • 06m 18s
Comments:

Got to my bike, got socks and shoes on and headed to the porta-potty. Took my time and tried to will the pain away. Hobbled out of T2 and just kept saying, "you will be a half-ironman in a few hours".

Not much, did the best I could with what was happening to me.
Run
  • 2h 55m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a sunny, hilly course. It was hot and not much shade. I was really upset with my knee and my lack of fluids I was not able to have on the bike. At mile 1 discovered my electrolyte pills had fallen out of my pocket! Ugg, can anything else go wrong? Shuffled on some of the down-hills and walked a ton. Kept drinking gatorade and water all of the aid stations and had a 3 banana halves. I had my gels with me, but was only able to eat one. The thought of eating another one made me gag.

Started to cramp and just kept thinking in my head, "you will finish" and cursed those who were passing me on the way back to finish...green with envy. On one of the hills I was walking next to a guy in a wheelchair and I said, "looking good" and he said the same thing back to me, I kinda laughed and said, "yea, right..ha ha" He laughed and another runner said to him, "shit, I would love to offer you a push" The guy in the wheelchair replied, "thanks for the offer".

I hit the turn-around at La Crema and was excited to see an arch of sprinklers...so refreshing! got to pass through that twice, thankfully!

On my way back I saw one of the women who I had met at a training swim and she said, "geez I'm a runner and this course/heat is killing me" I said, "me too. I'm walking but they'll still give me a medal when I cross the finish line!"

Eventually got within a few hundred yards of the finish line and was able to jog/shuffle. Saw Matt as I crossed the finish line and he yelled, "you did it, I am so proud of you!"

More hydration on the bike. I'm going to look into Infinit as I don;t think I can do gels in the heat while on the run portion...gag! Firgure out what happened with my knee as I have never had that pain in all of my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and volunteers sponged me down...God bless 'em! Got my picture taken and hugged the family. Got some ice for my knee and sat down. Tried to eat a bit, but was not hungry, it was just too hot to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee issues and losing my h2o on the bike.

Event comments:

I wish there had been 1 more water station on the bike, but I was far from being the only person to launch a water bottle. I was hoping to finish between 6:45 and 7 hours, but was not planning on having the issues that came up. I nedd to work on speed on the bike and more bricks.

I did have a lot of self-talk and cursing, but it got me to the finish line!!! My next HIM will be better and there will be a next HIM!!!

Last updated: 2007-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 94/118
Overall: 132/
Performance: Bad
Suit: non
Course: out and back in the river
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:03 | 56 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/118
Overall: 120/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:55:29 | 13.1 miles | 13m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 108/118
Overall: 118/
Performance: Bad
Course: rolling hills, sunny, hot!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 2:07 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2007-07-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: #899399

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
CONGRATS Abbie!!!!

Reading your story has inspired me. Thanks for putting in all the little details into your RR. It helps me to see that the work I am doing now is for the feeling of finishing a Tri despite what may happen during the race. I am really looking forward to my first mini sprint the Sunday. Are you still thinking of going? It would be great to meet my first HIMer.

Scott
2007-07-24 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Thanks Scott!
I'll be racing this weekend at the Tiburon tri! Would love to meet up and of course be one of the first to offer my congrats when you cross the finish line!!
Abbie
2007-07-24 3:22 PM

SANTA MONICA
That was amazing to read!! I kept picturing the different parts of the course as I read your RR and will try to keep details in my mind for Aug 4th. That was perfect self talk- "In few hours I will be a half-ironman" regardless of what came up AND YOU ARE! Welcome to the club!!

Hey did your family use my spot under the 101 by Geyersville for a cheering stop? I wonder if Slow&steady's family bumped into yours over there.

2007-07-24 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Self-talk can go a long way! My hubby and parents missed me in Geyserville, I was ahead of my schedule, go figure!
2007-07-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: #899563

SANTA MONICA
Good luck and easy racing this wkend at the Tiburon Tri. After your HIM you'll be able to phone in that distance lady!

2007-07-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: #899530

SANTA MONICA
Tysdad- If you think you're hooked NOW wait until you cross the finish line this Sunday! Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

Edited by Gale4s 2007-07-24 3:29 PM
2007-07-24 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Hey Abbie!

Great job!  Things always seem to go wrong at the worst of times but you stuck it out and finished the race upright!  I don't blame you for not wanting to pick up a bottle, cause you know pee'ing on the bike is common and those bottles are probably contaminated!!!  I'll have to pm about more on that cause I have yet to try to do it but I know I'll be faced with it.  Anyway, enough about that.... I'm glad that you want to do another HIM and you'll have the knowledge from this race to help you along even more.  Way to go!

2007-07-24 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Abbie,

Way to tough out a difficult race...  It sounds like you have a long hard day.  Main thing is that you stuck it out, and finished.   I was really concerned about the launching water bottle thing - as I had that happen in Tahoe and it really messed up my hydration plan.  Check out the Profile design aero unit - I used one this race and swear by it (not at it).  As long as you just put water in it the occasional "spritzer" it shoots out is kinda refreshing - and even if you frame mount bottle launches, you always have something left onboard to make it back with. 

Congrat's again on finishing,

By the way, I was pretty stiff this morning - but other than that I'm doing OK.

Dennis 

2007-07-24 5:59 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Hey Dennis-
I finished and that's what I was hoping for. Yep, I have the aero-system, but I was refilling it from the hand-ups. I hand the hand-up bottle in the cage and launched it.
Abbie
2007-07-24 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I think we all learn that the 1st one is a learning experience. Thus, the sick addiction of going back for more!

That is horrible that a guy was hit by a car on the course. Really nuts. Sorry to hear it.

The run sounds... tough. Oddly, I have gotten weird knee pain like that on the bike before. It's been random and only happened twice maybe. Taking 4 Aleve kicked the pain for me. Next time maybe have some pain killers around transition?

Well, good job... and you will do much better next time. Congratulations on finishing!

2007-07-24 7:42 PM
in reply to: #899838

User image

Pro
NorCal
Karen-
I did debate having some advil at transition, but figured I had never trained with it and did not want to do anything new on race day. Too bad my body came up with some pains that had not happened before race day.
Oh well, I'll know for my next half!
Abbie
2007-07-25 1:43 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Abbie, I think you did a great job of sticking with it even when things got tough.  It would have been so much easier to quit and stop than it was to keep going.  You did it!  That's tough and mighty impressive. 
2007-07-26 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Thanks Jen! Race day threw some unusual things at me, but I'm glad I finished.
Abbie
2007-07-30 4:41 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Wow Abbie.  Looks like you had plenty of adversity with which to deal on this race, but it sounds like you dealt with them all in stride.  Great job.  What's your next HIM gonna be???

2007-07-30 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
I'm thinking about Big Kahuna. I did a sprint yesterday and had the same knee issue, so I am headed to the doctor to make sure that'll hold up. Once I have the ok, I'll register
Abbie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed