General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running when your heavier than you should be. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-05 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Subject: Running when your heavier than you should be.
Man this running stuff is very difficult. Am I doing damage to my body by trying to increase my running distances before losing the extra weight?

Would it make more sense to do a couple of months of swimming and cycling with some non-impact legs stuff like the ellipticals and such? Getting my weight to where it should be for my build before I start hammering my legs with the extra weight.

I dont know how long my knees and feet are going to hold out if I keep trying to increase my speed and distance while being this heavy.

Any ideas?

2004-10-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: #69398

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Running when your heavier than you should be.
I started running in May, at 240 pounds (5’ 7”). I'm now down to 175 and have been steadily increasing my mileage each week, with the exception of taper/recovery weeks.

I think the key for me was not pushing it, going at an easy pace, just to get the distance in. This did 2 things for me: it allowed me to build my base mileage; it kept me in the best zone for burning fat. So, I added mileage while lightening the load.

Also, I do 85% of my running on packed gravel, 10% on the dreamill, and the other 5 on the road. I think the packed gravel helped as well.

Best of luck,
Rob
2004-10-05 9:20 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
HOW heavy? If it's 10-20 lbs. overweight, running shouldn't be a problem, adding distance and varying intensities could help you drop those pounds. More than that, though, and you might be well advised to drop the tonnage before adding the mileage. ET, even walking might be better for you if you're substantially overweight.
2004-10-05 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

As we are entering the 'off season', you could switch to the elliptical, or treadmill, or water jogging, to work on your cardio endurance while losing the weight you wish to lose.  Yes, carrying extra weight around will be more stressful on your knees/ankles.  Your last run pace seems pretty decent; if you're using this fall/winter to work on your base, you don't have to worry too much about speed.  Your body will get somewhat faster as you lose the extra weight.  I'm sure you know the basics: calories expendited must be greater than calories ingested, 20 minutes of cardio 3 times per week, blah blah blah.

In the meantime, go to your LRS (local running store) and have them fit your shoes properly.  Some of your knee pain could be caused by your shoes. 

2004-10-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: #69402

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Bear, I am 5'11", 230 # with a medium build. I carry some natural muscle with most of my weight in my stomach and thighs. I can swim a mile and cycle 100 miles with no problem besides some cramping but this running stuff is killing me!!!!
Not that I mind a hard workout and discomfort, I just dont want to cause damage that will hamper all of my training.

Maybe I just need to realize that I am not in the shape yet to have my training runs be 6 miles and that walking some is ok.
My asthma has hampered my running up until I started actually training (running)

I just got some new shoes and my feet are adjusting to those since they are stability shoes for my over-pronation.

Edited by satchmo72 2004-10-05 9:34 AM
2004-10-05 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
I'm 230, I started this journey at 260...sounds like you instinctively know the answer to your question. Listen to your body...suffering a knee or achilies injury could set your training back far longer than the equivalant of taking your time developing your run.

I wouldn't worry about going too fast or increasing your distances too much, especially if your already worried about your knees and feet. Hit the bike and the swim harder until you drop the weight. Once you drop the weight your run times will naturally increase as will your distances.

The big thing is listen to your body. Don't kill yourself.

2004-10-05 9:30 AM
in reply to: #69408

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
How many days per week are you running? Maybe keep it to four or less and make up the other days with ET or other alternatives?
2004-10-05 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
I am running 3 days a week.

ASA, 260 is exactly the weight I started this at and have lost 30 since 7/31.

I am working on my form because I dont know how to run, what the correct form is and I know that by correcting my form, the running will be easier, or less damaging at least.

Will I get base building from doing the Elliptical? I love that thing and can be on it for an hour and not be dying.

Edited by satchmo72 2004-10-05 9:39 AM
2004-10-05 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I've got about 100 pounds on you and don't find running to be painful at all. Well, it was until I changed my biomechanics to not hurt myself. It is my worst of the 3 sports, but slowly becoming my favorite (really). I'll never tire of recommending the book ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. By book review is here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

-Frank
2004-10-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: #69430

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Scuba, I bought that ChiRunning book last week and am still in the first chapters where he is talking about what CHi is and such but he has not gotten to the biometrics stuff yet. I am anxious to get to those parts though becuase I love Tai Chi and would love to know how to extend it to my running. After I do Tai Chi, I am the most relaxed I have ever been.

I look forward to my runs and getting better, my legs just feel dead underneath me.

I am learning to love it but it is the most strenuating to my body!!

2004-10-05 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Fastest way to get rid of that weight is to run run run. If you'reworried about injury dont push so hard completely ignore distance and speed slow down and just run for time. Also joe suggested the treadmill there is always open debate whether or not these are good for you but the impact is definitely less.

2004-10-05 12:30 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: This thread is calling my name...

I've also have had this battle.  My weight has been as high as 260, and was dropping just under 230 ealiar this year, until the injury bug struck.  Swimming and biking give me no trouble, but running has been a real double edged sword.

On one hand running is the one activity that really seems to get/keep my weight down.  But conversely, I had a variety of running related injuries (calf strain, knee soreness, and hip injury) that vere awful.

After 6 months of trying RICE, moderation, massage, accupuncture, and PT, the only thing that helped was laying off the running long enough to heal up.

My leg is feeling better than it has in 6 months.  I am now doing 2/3 of my running on an elliptical trainer.  I am coupling that with a very serious diet modification/supplements, and increased swimming/biking, to try to get my weight down to 200-210.  I really hope that the weight reduction in itself will represent a reduction in stress in all the leg joints, so that I won't have a repeat of this years injury struggles.

The tough part is that during the "lay off" period I was getting very depressed/bummed because I wanted to run so bad.  Especially after investing so much time and energy in this new passion (TRIATHLON).  I am trying to make the leap from Sprints/Olympics to doing a 1/2 IM in 2005.

I hope that your training goes well , and that you are blessed by good health. 

Let us know how it gos.

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-10-05 12:30 PM
2004-10-05 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
You may also want to try the elliptical trainer. It is a great running workout w/o the impact of running. I regularly spend some time in the winter when it gets to cold to run outside (I am not as diehard as some at BT) on the elliptical, you still are using the primary muscles used for running, burning about the same amount of calories and you get rid of the impact. By doing this I can give my body some recovery time in the off season w/o loosing fitness.

That being said it is still important to not use the elliptical solely, as your body needs to stay used to the impact of running. But it makes a great supplement, especially if you are having pain in the knees, feet, etc.

My 2 cents worth..

Adios
Dave
2004-10-05 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
It takes him a while to get around to the good stuff, but the first part of the book is truly foundational information. If you are already involved with taijiquan, then you probably already know most of it. I went through the book before starting my classes and I thought it was cool that the stretches in the book were same ones we use in class to get warmed up. Like you, I've discovered that I am ready for anything mentally after class, so I'm going to start my days off with some form practice when I get up and save the running for the afternoon when it's a little warmer In short, I said "duh" after reading a lot of parts in the book. It's made such a difference, that with the exception of my deep, loud breathing, I hardly make a sound when I run. I scared the crap out of some guy last night. Snuck right up behind him I've also taken to running in my bare feet for a few minutes once a week just to check myself. I haven't worked up to running barefoot on sidewalks yet, but the force of my footstrike has become so small that it really doesn't hurt at all. If I can do that at 330 pounds, anyone can...

-Frank
2004-10-05 5:45 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i had some knee pain when i first started last winter. my yoga instructor taught me a couple of knee strengthening exercises that seemed to help. hard to explain, but i'll try. one: go into the chair pose (knees bent, back straight, like you are sitting in a chair), but do it against a wall for support. hold for 10 seconds. stand. repeat. two: stand on the edge of a stair, with just your toes and ball of your foot on the stair. lower your ankles, then raise up on your toes, lower, raise, lower raise. just general stretching (and yoga) helped a lot too. i also took (and continue to take) glucosamine/chondroitin for my joints, and recently added msm. i'm reading one of hal higdon's books right now, and he talks about alternating walking with running, as well as biking and swimming, to give your body a rest from the impact of running so that it can adjust.
2004-10-06 5:21 PM

Veteran
Denver
"I'll never tire of recommending the book ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer."

I picked this book up yesterday on your recommendation. So far I love it. I have always considered running a form of meditation so this is right up my alley.

Thanks

2004-10-06 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
It really has changed the way I feel about (and after, during, etc) running. I'm not that fast yet, but I've been adding distance and speed at a good pace without any pain. I like LOVE the fact that I'm not pounding the snot out of my knees and hips while running and to be honest with you, I actually like running now. By 4:00 in the afternoon, that's all I'm thinking about half the time Good luck and enjoy the book.

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running when your heavier than you should be. Rss Feed