General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Qualifying- What it takes.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-08-13 8:55 AM
in reply to: #923255

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Kona Qualifying- What it takes..

Alright, gonna throw out a hypothetical, but might lend itself to people better understanding the whole IM effort and it's correspondance to training.

It is obvious that if you do not have a good ride that you cannot come off fresh enough to sustain a decent run.  So the question then is ...... should a person with WC aspirations focus tons more on the bike with just minimal run maintenance, or should there be just as strong of a run focus as there is on the bike?

For me, going into next year with the goal of getting a slot at IMLP, and knowing that the bike is a challenging one I know I will have a shot with a 1:15 swim (realistic for me), 5:30 bike (more than realistic for me) and a 3:30 run (shold be doable with a med-effort ride).  But people don't realize whata 3:30 marathon is really like that haven't done it.  For Florida for me to have even a remote shot with a 1:15 swim I'll need a 5:00 or better ride with a 3:30 or better marathon.  Once again, assuming no mechanicals I'll have a shot at the 5 or better without totally cooking myself.  But just how much should someone in my shoes focus on their running?

I'm a potential sub 3 stand-alone marathoner when I run focus, and 3:15 stand-alone is not all that challenging on a simple course, so the run endurance is there.  But should I be carrying the same level of marathon training as I would for a stand-alone??  Or put the focus more on the bike.

(See ..... there is where a coach could be a benefit , but I just wanted to see where your thoughts lie in your training that got you there).

2007-08-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: #922334

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great question, Rick, let me give this a go, you and I share a great many similarities...

Prior to triathlon, I was a runner. I had completed my first marathon in 2006 in 3:33. My coach knew my bike fitness was non-existant and spent the majority of 2006 making me ride, a lot. A whole lot. The great thing about bike fitmess is that from an aerobic standpoint, it lends itself well towards your run endurance. The bio mechanics are all different, but your aerobic capacity can be stretched more effectively on the bike as you can train for 5 hours staright on it. The longest run you can train is 3 hours and that really puts a hurt on your body. The bike is a no impact, long duration cardio session where you will build the most aerobic fitness. As my pace and stregnth grew on the bike, I also noticed my running was improving as well. Without any marathon specific training, I went back to the same marathon a year later in 2007 and ran a 2:59.

Obviously, running was a major part of my IM training, but my coach really had me focus on the bike in the months prior to that marathon and I had a appreciable gain in perfromance. You already are a soild, efficient runner. Becoming an animal on the bike will only help that become even better, based on my experience. In regards to Kona qualifying, I think you have correctly targeted the key, it really is all about the bike, as I have said many times. I don't mean to downplay the importance of the run and as Gordo said, a 26.2 mile run provides ample opportunity to correct any mistakes of taking it too easy on the bike, but because of the time spent on it, the math still does favor a fast bike as the most critical.

In short, Rick, it's time to ride your butt of to get to that slot. And yes, it's stuff like this that a coach can be very helpful in determining the proper balance between bike and run to build both effectively.
2007-08-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: #923359

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Daremo - 2007-08-13 8:55 AM

Alright, gonna throw out a hypothetical, but might lend itself to people better understanding the whole IM effort and it's correspondance to training.

It is obvious that if you do not have a good ride that you cannot come off fresh enough to sustain a decent run.  So the question then is ...... should a person with WC aspirations focus tons more on the bike with just minimal run maintenance, or should there be just as strong of a run focus as there is on the bike?

For me, going into next year with the goal of getting a slot at IMLP, and knowing that the bike is a challenging one I know I will have a shot with a 1:15 swim (realistic for me), 5:30 bike (more than realistic for me) and a 3:30 run (shold be doable with a med-effort ride).  But people don't realize whata 3:30 marathon is really like that haven't done it.  For Florida for me to have even a remote shot with a 1:15 swim I'll need a 5:00 or better ride with a 3:30 or better marathon.  Once again, assuming no mechanicals I'll have a shot at the 5 or better without totally cooking myself.  But just how much should someone in my shoes focus on their running?

I'm a potential sub 3 stand-alone marathoner when I run focus, and 3:15 stand-alone is not all that challenging on a simple course, so the run endurance is there.  But should I be carrying the same level of marathon training as I would for a stand-alone??  Or put the focus more on the bike.

(See ..... there is where a coach could be a benefit , but I just wanted to see where your thoughts lie in your training that got you there).

As I coach the 1st thing I do is to learn the athletes goals, (IM, HIM, etc), fitness level (recent race performances, PRs, etc) and strengths and weaknesses. In your case, I know you have a great running base this season and you have the cycling experience but from glazing at your logs here and then, I know you know that you would need to work on your cycling endurance a lot.

Also if I was your coach and considering IMFL your goal I would keep your running on maintenance mode with key session (race pace, long runs and a few hard transition runs) and make you ride MORE: some long, some hard, some hard & long and repeat it… that and make you swim a lot more (Notice that I wouldn’t necessarily do it for swim speed though)

Finally you would have to do specific race-prep sessions or tests that would give you and the coach better insight on how is your training progressing and if the focus should shift at some point...

2007-08-13 9:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: #923478

Coach
Boston, MA
JeepFleeb - 2007-08-13 9:42 AM

My perspective on the bike/run balance: for me it all has to do with metabolism.

Coming into this the bike was my strongest sport.  To get me ready for Louisville my coach has me spending the vast majority of my time cycling.  Last month was 45 hours on the bike compared to 11 on the run, all because of my caloric expenditures on my VO2max test.

On the run I'm exactly where I need to be as far as how many calories I burn from fat vs. carbs.  Even at LT I'm still burning some calories from fat.  On the bike I go to 100% carbs at just the top of my training pace HR.  The focus on bike hours at training pace is to increase my metabolic effeciency.  The more energy I can get from fat at all HRs means it's easier to get off the bike with more carbs in my system.

More fat burned = less carbs burned = more fuel in the tank to start the run.

Next bike VO2 is Wednesday, so we'll see if I improved any.

can you please explain that? I am not sure if I am reading it correctly but are you suggesting that you use carbs for fuel in a bigger % on the bike?
2007-08-13 9:51 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great point, Jorge, regarding more swimming, but not for speed as much as it's the unsung hero of enurance building. Big swim volume also contribute to that aerobic engine and a lot of people overlook that. Volume also begets improvements in time, so Rick's 1:15 could become a 1:08.

2007-08-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: #923055

Not a Coach
Media, PA

bryancd - 2007-08-12 9:14 PM My last VO2 test was a a 74.8, for what's it worth.

I think I could have coached you to a Kona slot. 

2007-08-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: #923490

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-13 10:28 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

What's interesting is that I come from a cycling background ...... after coming from a running background ..... and then focused a lot on running again.  So as Jorge says, I've got thousands of cycling miles in my legs (former Cat. 3 back in the day) and tons of experience, but not a lot of volume in the last few years.  But my running has been very high in volume.  What I have found is that my running actually supplements my cycling better than the other way around .......

I am a very efficient cyclist because of all the years road racing.  I wish I had a power meter to show that, but as an example, my 2:24 at Eagleman was only in the low 160's for my HR average with winds ....... on a flat course it is super easy for me to maintain low to mid 20's mph average if I apply myself (without getting cooked) for long periods.  My bike LT is in the 170's (as well as my run LT).

The swim volume I'm working on.  I'll be over 30k yards this month, which is my most ever and I've averaged over 20k each month this year, which is a huge improvement over last year (first year in the water).

I'm really using FL as a gauge of what effort it is really going to take out of me to perform at the level I will need to later.  I'm not specifically going out for a WC slot there, but if by some superb chance I come off the bike in the 6:15 range (for overall time) I'll have an outside shot of getting one.  At that point all bets are off and I'm going for it on the run.  Otherwise this one will be for the experience and the "event."

2007-08-13 10:34 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I think you are thinking in exactly the right way on this, Rick.

This is the kind of conversation I was hoping would develop when I posted this, real, critical anlysis of going fast at IM, considering your current abilities and extrapolating what it will take to get you the result- Kona qualifying.
2007-08-13 10:42 AM

Expert
bryancd - 2007-08-11 7:55 PM
I know there are members here on BT who have Kona aspirations. I was recently asked on another thread to discuss what it really takes to put yourself in contention for a slot, so I thought I would include BT in the conversation.
what it takes.

First off...this is a great thread. Lot’s of great input and information from a wealth of knowledge on this site. I read a lot of stuff on this site and a lot lacks in content and hardly sparks my interest. This thread on the other hand is great. After reading so many of the responses you can clearly see while some people agree and others disagree there are varied themes within each of the responses. Some based on experience and others based on lack of experience.

In my opinion I think there are few things that are important and need to be in place whether it be for a Kona Slot an Age Group Win or an Overall Placing in not only triathlon but sports and maybe even life.

Not in any particular order below. I think that all are as equally important when looking holistically at the “what it takes” question.

1. Consistent Work Ethic – You can’t do things today to make up for things you didn’t do yesterday. Day in and day out it’s not the volume or the number of hours that you are putting in. It’s the idea of consistent work on a daily basis. I also tend to favor what Bryan said about intensity as well. Not that it’s a great idea to hammer all the time to the point of “shelling” your body but I think a lot of people who didn’t participate in organized sports as children don’t understand what it means to “work hard.” There are plenty of people who work hard on this web site. But, I see a lot of people who do prescribed workouts but they don’t actually train hard. It’s easy to go out and ride or run the miles but when your done your training session how many people actually feel some what spent. A lot of people I know are out there riding in groups and chatting away for 50 miles and they think they just put a killer workout in.

2. Desire to win – You have to want to win. Bottom line. Some people are content with “just finishing” and that is fine.

3. Competitive mentality. - I have been competitive ever since I was a small child. It’s something inside of me. Some people have it and some don’t. I hate to lose….bottom line.

4. Genetics – Having the engine is important. I have seen many kids when I was growing up put in so much time and training in swimming. They worked hard, went to every practice, went to special camps, etc….they were never as fast as the kids who had the natural ability. They were fast and did well but there was always something missing. It’s the intangible that you can’t put your finger on.

5. Outside Support – If you would have asked me before about this I would have laughed. Now with a wife and child and another child on the way I can truly say that family support is important. Without it training and racing would be a very difficult rode.

6. Acquisition of Knowledge/ Use of Knowledge to benefit your performance – Knowledge is key. Learning as much as you can about the nuisances of the sport and then applying concepts. After all why are most of us on this web site? We went out on the internet in search of information and most of us landed here.

7. Truthfulness – How many people at the end of the day are willing to be 100% truthful with themselves as well as the people that surround them? I think this is another key to being successful and maximizing your potential.

The bottom line is that there are many characteristics that need to be in place to help shed light on the “what it takes” question. To me the above points are important. For others on here the list is probably different. In 5 years time my list may be completely different, who knows.

Some think a coach is top of the list. I don’t see it that way. I was coached at an Elite level in swimming for the better part of 2 decades. So to me the firm structure that a coach provides is a turn off. 20 years being told what to do and how to train will do that to you. Would I get some benefit from a TRI coach. Most definitely. But the down side is that I would sacrifice my flexibility and control that I feel is important to me at this point in my life. I am not willing to do that.

2007-08-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: #923620

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

gadzinm - 2007-08-13 11:42 AM Some think a coach is top of the list. I don’t see it that way. I was coached at an Elite level in swimming for the better part of 2 decades. So to me the firm structure that a coach provides is a turn off. 20 years being told what to do and how to train will do that to you. Would I get some benefit from a TRI coach. Most definitely. But the down side is that I would sacrifice my flexibility and control that I feel is important to me at this point in my life. I am not willing to do that.

I think that is one of the more insightful and appropriate paragraphs (for me) that I've read in a long time.  I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I played organized sports since a younger age, and grew up in a military family as well as being in the military.  I've had just about enough of people "telling" me what to do over the years and like the flexibility to adapt adn change things.

Just this weekend I came to the realization that if I really want to have a quality long run session that I absolutely cannot back to back it with my long ride/brick the day before.  My long runs were taking a big hit from having a solid bike the day before.  So I'm tweaking my schedule to shift my main runs around - long run on Tuesdays starting next week and my usual general aerobic that I'd do on Th. will now be on Sun.

It's about knowing your limits and your abilities and adapting as the physiological stress builds.  I knew that what I was doing was starting to be less than effective, so I'll be trying something slightly different and seeing if my recovery and sessions are better.

2007-08-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: #923620

Not a Coach
Media, PA

gadzinm - 2007-08-13 10:42 AM First off...this is a great thread. Lot’s of great input and information from a wealth of knowledge on this site. I read a lot of stuff on this site and a lot lacks in content and hardly sparks my interest. This thread on the other hand is great. After reading so many of the responses you can clearly see while some people agree and others disagree there are varied themes within each of the responses. Some based on experience and others based on lack of experience.

In my opinion I think there are few things that are important and need to be in place whether it be for a Kona Slot an Age Group Win or an Overall Placing in not only triathlon but sports and maybe even life.

Not in any particular order below. I think that all are as equally important when looking holistically at the “what it takes” question.

1. Consistent Work Ethic – You can’t do things today to make up for things you didn’t do yesterday. Day in and day out it’s not the volume or the number of hours that you are putting in. It’s the idea of consistent work on a daily basis. I also tend to favor what Bryan said about intensity as well. Not that it’s a great idea to hammer all the time to the point of “shelling” your body but I think a lot of people who didn’t participate in organized sports as children don’t understand what it means to “work hard.” There are plenty of people who work hard on this web site. But, I see a lot of people who do prescribed workouts but they don’t actually train hard. It’s easy to go out and ride or run the miles but when your done your training session how many people actually feel some what spent. A lot of people I know are out there riding in groups and chatting away for 50 miles and they think they just put a killer workout in.

2. Desire to win – You have to want to win. Bottom line. Some people are content with “just finishing” and that is fine.

3. Competitive mentality. - I have been competitive ever since I was a small child. It’s something inside of me. Some people have it and some don’t. I hate to lose….bottom line.

4. Genetics – Having the engine is important. I have seen many kids when I was growing up put in so much time and training in swimming. They worked hard, went to every practice, went to special camps, etc….they were never as fast as the kids who had the natural ability. They were fast and did well but there was always something missing. It’s the intangible that you can’t put your finger on.

5. Outside Support – If you would have asked me before about this I would have laughed. Now with a wife and child and another child on the way I can truly say that family support is important. Without it training and racing would be a very difficult rode.

6. Acquisition of Knowledge/ Use of Knowledge to benefit your performance – Knowledge is key. Learning as much as you can about the nuisances of the sport and then applying concepts. After all why are most of us on this web site? We went out on the internet in search of information and most of us landed here.

7. Truthfulness – How many people at the end of the day are willing to be 100% truthful with themselves as well as the people that surround them? I think this is another key to being successful and maximizing your potential.

The bottom line is that there are many characteristics that need to be in place to help shed light on the “what it takes” question. To me the above points are important. For others on here the list is probably different. In 5 years time my list may be completely different, who knows.

Some think a coach is top of the list. I don’t see it that way. I was coached at an Elite level in swimming for the better part of 2 decades. So to me the firm structure that a coach provides is a turn off. 20 years being told what to do and how to train will do that to you. Would I get some benefit from a TRI coach. Most definitely. But the down side is that I would sacrifice my flexibility and control that I feel is important to me at this point in my life. I am not willing to do that.

Excellent!  I would like to nominate this as best post in the thread.

2007-08-13 11:46 AM
in reply to: #923646

Expert
Daremo - 2007-08-13 11:56 AM

gadzinm - 2007-08-13 11:42 AM Some think a coach is top of the list. I don’t see it that way. I was coached at an Elite level in swimming for the better part of 2 decades. So to me the firm structure that a coach provides is a turn off. 20 years being told what to do and how to train will do that to you. Would I get some benefit from a TRI coach. Most definitely. But the down side is that I would sacrifice my flexibility and control that I feel is important to me at this point in my life. I am not willing to do that.

I think that is one of the more insightful and appropriate paragraphs (for me) that I've read in a long time.  I'm in a somewhat similar situation where I played organized sports since a younger age, and grew up in a military family as well as being in the military.  I've had just about enough of people "telling" me what to do over the years and like the flexibility to adapt adn change things.

Just this weekend I came to the realization that if I really want to have a quality long run session that I absolutely cannot back to back it with my long ride/brick the day before.  My long runs were taking a big hit from having a solid bike the day before.  So I'm tweaking my schedule to shift my main runs around - long run on Tuesdays starting next week and my usual general aerobic that I'd do on Th. will now be on Sun.

It's about knowing your limits and your abilities and adapting as the physiological stress builds.  I knew that what I was doing was starting to be less than effective, so I'll be trying something slightly different and seeing if my recovery and sessions are better.

Gald it hit home a little bit.

I agree with your observations about long runs too. Up to eagleman that was what was happening with me. I though for sure I was capable of running about 1:20 or better but my runs were never were they needed to be towards the end due to huge bike session on Sat. I am now using Tuesday as my long run day. Much more effective and I have already added 10+ miles per week to my running totals.
2007-08-13 1:05 PM

Coach
Boston, MA

RM and I could argue with JK & Co. all day why having a coach 'might' enhance someone’s training or not but the reality is that there are many ways to approach tri training and help someone to improve. I am sure someone like Bryan would have qualified to Kona without coaching but it would have taken him more attempts, that is for sure. And I could take an athlete and work very hard with him/her and maybe never get to the big dance as we already discussed it takes a bit more than just hard work and determination.

My coach and I discussed at some point how some athletes are good in spite of their training/coaching and how some are good because of it. We all have heard some of the training done by some of the best self coached endurance athletes and sometimes we can help to scratch our heads and ask how the hell did they managed to be so good with such crazy approaches. On the other end there are many stories about great athletes who become greater after working with a good coach. For the great majority of regular AGers with families, jobs and a not so developed endurance engine, I will say yes, having I coach will improve your chances and shorten the time it will take you to improve. And yes many factors will determine what’s the right mix for each person and based on that each can get to pick their poison (which is weather to work with a coach or not)

It is funny how some perceive coaching and of course this perception will be greatly impacted based on past experiences. That’s why I believe it is VERY important to find a person who not only knows his sh*t (for real) and have plenty of experience, but someone who matches your personality.  As the smart a$$ and sarcastic person I am I could never work with a “we are all winners” mentality type of coach. And I have found that some athletes for which tri training is nothing more than just a hobby and aren’t into it as some of us psychos, have trouble working with me (I learned that pretty early in my short coaching career ) but again there are many options out there for everyone. Online plans, books, coaching, etc.

A few weeks ago I listened to a Macca’s podcast and he touched on training and how he basically knows exactly “what it takes” to be the best. But still he have come short of wining the big one (IM wise) and how he changed his approach and how is been working with other coaches that will enhance or provide that insight/experience that he might be missing. I am perfectly capable of structuring a plan for me as no ones knows my limits better than me, however I choose to have a coach cuz I know his insight, experience and perspective will only enhance my training.

As JK said; he could have coached Bryan for KQ and you know what I don’t doubt it for one second, because B is a genetic freak, plus he is determined, disciplined, etc. But just for kicks, I would also say that there is no doubt in my mind that I could have trained JK for a better IMLP. I know that’s a big statement cuz he had a killer race in particular for his 1st IM and at LP,  but with specific work sessions catered for his specific needs I’ll dare to say he would have gone sub 11… (JK, let me emphisis that I am not taking anything away from your race at all, actually the opposite I think it was plain awesome what you accomplished and the day you had with great execution).

2007-08-13 1:24 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Let me be the first to vote of gazdinm's post as post of the thread so far and the above post from Jorge as the second. For me, this is EXACTLY what coaching provided for my journey. The reason I stressed coaching's importance in my initial post was that for me, I did and do consider it essential to achieve what I had set out to do. I also agree that given some more time, I probably would have stumbled into a slot at some point regardless. What I will echo and make a generalization, is that for most AG'ers, where time is such a premuim and there is so much conflicting information out there in regards to training and so many different approaches, a coach can really simplify your life. It's not an issue of "having someone tell me what to do", it's I have turned over those decisions to someone I trust, who, as Jorge said, knows his stuff better than I, understands me as an athlete and person, and is commited to me to achieving my specif goal.

2007-08-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: #922823

Master
Portland, ME

bryancd - 2007-08-12 4:43 PM JK- At the finish line, his wife came up to my coach in tears and blamed him that her husband failed to qualify. I wasn't there but it was really sad. He was fine, but you could see the toll taken on by his family.

Does anyone else find this as funny as I do...or am I the only one with a twisted sense of humor? I wondered if his mommy used to yell at the Little League coach when little Johnny went 0 fer in the big game.

2007-08-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: #923922

Not a Coach
Media, PA
amiine - 2007-08-13 1:05 PM

As JK said; he could have coached Bryan for KQ and you know what I don’t doubt it for one second, because B is a genetic freak, plus he is determined, disciplined, etc. But just for kicks, I would also say that there is no doubt in my mind that I could have trained JK for a better IMLP. I know that’s a big statement cuz he had a killer race in particular for his 1st IM and at LP,  but with specific work sessions catered for his specific needs I’ll dare to say he would have gone sub 11… (JK, let me emphisis that I am not taking anything away from your race at all, actually the opposite I think it was plain awesome what you accomplished and the day you had with great execution).

I don't disagree for a second Jorge.  I also never meant to imply that having a coach (again, a good one) wouldn't improve most any athlete's chance at having their best race and shorten the time it takes them to reach a given level of performance.  I believe it would.  For this discussion, I was only disagreeing that it was a "necessity" for anyone who wants to qualify for Kona.  You do need good genes (not great ones, though that helps to cover up any other shortcomings).  You do need consistent well-thought out training and smart racing.  A coach can certainly help with this part of it, but a dedicated athlete can also learn much of this on their own (or through listening to other smart people).

And, FWIW, I have no aversion at all to being coached and might someday go that route.  For now, my goals (balanced both inside & out of triathlon) have led me to take my current path.  My near-term goals aren't far enough out of my reach that I can't get their on my own and my longer-term goals aren't pressing enough that I'm overly concerned about minimizing the time it takes to get there.  Add that to the financial committment of a coach and I just can't justify it today (this is not arguing a coach is not worth the money--a good one most certainly is.  It's that I have other places where that money drives greater personal value today).  In a few years, maybe part of the equation will change (or I'll find a good coach that takes on free-loaders  ).

2007-08-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #923966

Not a Coach
Media, PA

bryancd - 2007-08-13 1:24 PM Let me be the first to vote of gazdinm's post as post of the thread so far

I thought I was the first. 

For me, this is EXACTLY what coaching provided for my journey. The reason I stressed coaching's importance in my initial post was that for me, I did and do consider it essential to achieve what I had set out to do. I also agree that given some more time, I probably would have stumbled into a slot at some point regardless. What I will echo and make a generalization, is that for most AG'ers, where time is such a premuim and there is so much conflicting information out there in regards to training and so many different approaches, a coach can really simplify your life. It's not an issue of "having someone tell me what to do", it's I have turned over those decisions to someone I trust, who, as Jorge said, knows his stuff better than I, understands me as an athlete and person, and is commited to me to achieving my specif goal.

For YOU, perhaps.  But you noted that for anyone to go to the "big show", coaching was essential.  I think you can see that for some it is not.

2007-08-13 1:55 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
You nominated it, i started the voting.

Yes, I did mean that coaching was essential for me, in my mind. As far as making a general statement, you are correct, certainly athletes qualify without. It would be curious to see what the precentages are. Of the people I know who qualified this year, either locally or on other chat boards, 100% of them had coaches, but that's not a very big sample.
In regards to what you mentioned about VO2, again, I don't know about anyone else but me and my coach, who quualified at IMLP for the third time this year and has a VO2 in the mid 70's. I would be ineterested to see how that plays out as well across the qualifying spectrum.
2007-08-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #924050

Not a Coach
Media, PA

bryancd - 2007-08-13 1:55 PM You nominated it, i started the voting. Yes, I did mean that coaching was essential for me, in my mind. As far as making a general statement, you are correct, certainly athletes qualify without. It would be curious to see what the precentages are. Of the people I know who qualified this year, either locally or on other chat boards, 100% of them had coaches, but that's not a very big sample. In regards to what you mentioned about VO2, again, I don't know about anyone else but me and my coach, who quualified at IMLP for the third time this year and has a VO2 in the mid 70's. I would be ineterested to see how that plays out as well across the qualifying spectrum.

I know of at least 3 people who have qualified without coaching (1 turned down a roll-down spot this year).  And another 3 who used some level of coaching.  Also not a very big sample size.

I'd be curious about the VO2max stuff too, but running a sub-3:00 marathon is typically equated with a low-mid 50's VO2max.  A sub-3:00 marathoner has the goods to qualify for Kona in my opinion.  FWIW, you're VO2 correlates with something like 2:15 open marathon capability.  You've got a long way to go to reach your potential and you've already qualified. 

2007-08-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #922772

Expert
North Carolina
Rocket Man - 2007-08-12 4:14 PM

Footnote: I would be curious to see what the average VO2 Max reading is for each AG in Kona.  I would bet that with the exception of a few outliers on the curve that it is 70+.

I would bet 65+, for men.

2007-08-13 2:47 PM

Expert
I think maybe we just came up with a great idea for a poll at Kona this year. I know Slowtwitch is not doing the bike poll this year...maybe we could have some support out there for Bryan and then in the mean time run a poll. Simply ask people as they line up...

Coached...

Not Coached....

Just kidding of course but I really would be interested in numbers revolving around this information. Not only getting the numbers but delving into the factors that lead them to the decision.

I have no objection to a coach and have really given it some consideration in the last few months. But as JK stated...my goals are close enough and the cost of a coach is large enough that there is an offset.

If and when Kona comes into the picture I will more than likely find the best coach that fits what I am looking for with regards to my goals. Then I take it from there and re-evaluate my opinions of what I believe a coach should provide and how they provide it. For now though I think I do a pretty solid job of getting myself ready when it's time to toe the line.
2007-08-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #924162

Not a Coach
Media, PA

gadzinm - 2007-08-13 2:47 PM For now though I think I do a pretty solid job of getting myself ready when it's time to toe the line.

Comes up with post of the thread and has modesty to boot!  I bet he looks good in a speedo and pink bow tie as well. 

2007-08-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: #924162

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
One of the better threads in a long time, but I'm forcing myself not to contribute anything of substance until at least September 10, 2007    
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Qualifying- What it takes.. Rss Feed  

of 10