General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Qualifying- What it takes.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-08-11 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Kona Qualifying- What it takes..
I know there are members here on BT who have Kona aspirations. I was recently asked on another thread to discuss what it really takes to put yourself in contention for a slot, so I thought I would include BT in the conversation.

To begin, I think many athlete's have the potential to earn a slot through qualifying. What I don't think many understand is how Kona qualifying training differs from IM training. Believe me, they are NOT the same. I began training for IMAZ a full 10 months prior to the event. I hired a coach and established with him that I would go to IMAZ and attempt to qualify for Kona. At that time I had a total of 2 triathlons in total under my belt. I think committing to attempting this level of performance so early was key to my success. We all know that training for Ironman is a MAJOR task. Training for Ironman in an effort to go a specific time is even more so. When I compared my training volume to others who were also preparing for the race, it wasn't so much I was doing more volume or time, although I certainly was way up there. It had more to do with intensity and consistancy.

I tried to maximize every workout. If my session called for a 4 hour ride with my HR between 138-148, I would spend as much time as possible at 147. I would just constantly push, uphill, downhill, flats, just never gave myself a break. I never , not once over the course of 10 months shorted or skipped a session. I completed 100% of the workouts perscribed by my coach and made every one the best quality I could. This was somewhat in contrast to a few other athletes he was coaching, one of whom also had Kona aspirations. They would do group rides or runs, or run on a treadmill or do spin classes in lieu of what they were scheduled to do and I think these substitutions hurt them in the long run. I'm sure they were more fun but they were not as effective and the results showed up on race day as I was the only one who perfromed exactly as planned. Training for Ironman should be as lonely as the race itself.

When you get to your qualifying race, you should already know if a Kona qualifying time is within your reach. IM is raced at those very same HR and intensity levels you did 100% of your base training, so you should be able to predict your time with a great deal of accuracy. If you are riding your 100 mile rides at 19 mph, don't think a sub 5:30 is all of a sudden going to pop out. It's not. If your long runs are at a 8:30 pace, kiss the 3:30 goodbye. THIS IS THE HARSH REALITY. In order to get to Hawaii, on average you need to go about 1 hour on the swim, sub 5:30 on the bike and at the least be able to run a sub 4 hour marathon. Anything less and you will be lucky by circumstance, not by training. Depending on your AG, you are looking at sun 10:30 as a squeeker, sub 10 as a shoe in, you decide.

The bottom line is, don't kid yourself, denial is not a river in Egypt. Going to the big show is a different animal all together. The sacrifices are beyond what you may have done before. Coaching IS ESSENTIAL. If you are out there banging out those 20-21mph long rides, running those 7:30 long run, swimming 100's on the 1:30's consistantly, you may may very well have what it takes.

2007-08-11 7:04 PM
in reply to: #922334

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-11 7:33 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Kona Qualifying- What it takes..
Well said. It amazing how fitness and fatigue are compounding components, they grow with time and left unchecked by someone who can understand the results can result in over=training an poor perfromance.

Case in point, a guy I know frrom another forum showed up at IMAZ w/ Kona aspirations. I had been following his training, he was doing huge volume but with no focus. He showed at IMAZ saying he had a shot at Kona, HE WASN'T EVEN CLOSE.

For the record, Anyone who asked me, I said 1 hour swim, 5 hour bike, 3:30 run. And that's what I did because I had ALREADY DONE IT.
2007-08-11 8:14 PM

This is a very interesting post, thanks Bryan, for the "look back," and Aaron for the "look forward."

I have a couple ggod friends who have qualified in the last few years, and they just wanted it more, so put in the time they had to (and most had coaches)

The following is not, in any respect, to diminish the amazingly hard work you and other qualifiers have put in, but there is also a genetic aspect.  1:00 on the swim is doable.  I could probably do 5:30 on the right course after another 2 or 3 years of base and fitness and nutrition work.   A sub 4 marathon?  that's a dream for perhaps another life, coming from a "starting at age 38 runner who, two years later, can hold 8:30s in a 5K on a good day".

But it sure is interesting watching from the stands

Edited by ChrisM 2007-08-11 8:15 PM
2007-08-11 9:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Awsome....

what age group were you in and how many slots?

2007-08-11 9:49 PM

Expert
Anyone who can complete 100% of all there workouts is an inspiration to me. I find that life in general tends to get in the way, mostly do to working a graveyard shift. Although I have never done an Ironman but hope to in the future I hope I can be as dedicated as you.

2007-08-11 9:59 PM

Champion
MA

11:50 was the last qualifier in my AG at IMLP...so qualifying times are highly dependant on your sex/AG.

I admire your dedication and that of Aarons to have qualifying for Kona as a goal and executing your workouts as outlined by your coach and making all your workouts.

For many of us, we have kids, work and unexpected things that come up. I have a coach and miss a workout maybe once every two months. I don't have the desire or genetic ability to qualify for Kona.

I believe a huge factor in our potential ability is our genes given to us by our parents. Bryan clearly you have good genes as your Mom went to Kona. But it was your hard work, smart training, hiring a great coach that got you there....very impressive. I think you sum it up very well " The sacrifices are beyond what you may have done before."

I really enjoy reading about your Kona journey and training....we are all pulling for you to go to Kona and do awesome! 

2007-08-11 10:14 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
No doubt about it. I won the gene pool lottery of endurance multi-sport. Indeed, genetics is a major contributing factor and can make the difference between being able to condition an athlete to extremes. I think in general, however, that genetics simply, if you can excuse the expression, simply makes it easier for some. Results come quicker. Given enough preperation, I think many can get there but the sacriffices are sometimes too great. Indeed, having a family or a career with less than ideal hours or flexibility can prohibit our "average age grouper" (if you can call anyone that who can complete an IM) from reaching physically to the point of qualifying. Anf you know what? THAT'S OK. I would love to fly on a space shuttle mission, but I never will. My life is non the richer because of it. Every triathlete on this board has gone above and beyond and made that journey all ready.

You know what they call the last person to finish a triathlon?

A TRIATHLETE.

Edited by bryancd 2007-08-11 10:14 PM
2007-08-11 11:03 PM

Coach
Boston, MA

Yes and no... Many might work very hard and might get very close to KQ but the truth is that those qualifying to kona or running a 2:30 hrs mary or completing a sub 2:00hr Olympic work hard AND have good genes. Unfortunately a bunch will never accomplish that dream/goal regardless of how hard they work. BUT I would say this: you’ll never know until you give it a real try and work very very hard to get close that goal; and that means LOTS of dedication, sacrifice and discipline, which IMO is the biggest limiter for 99% of the athletes with that dream.

2007-08-12 7:07 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
And what Jorge said is another reason why I feel being properly coached is a key component. Yes, there will be athletes who no matter how hard they work will come up short due to limitations of their bodies themselves, not their effort or desire.

One of the points I wanted to stress is that it's important to try and know our potential as much as it is our limitations. I know many triathletes locally who aspire to go to Hawaii but are constatntly dissapointed when they fail to make it and yet their failure was already built into their preperation. Sometimes the volume was there but the pace was not or for others, the pace was great but the aerobic engine wasn't built up enough. The key to qualifying is handed to an athlete who starts their IM race with all components in place, they just need to execute and unlock the door. Due to the nature of qualifying, obviously, it all comes down to a finishing time and the ability to hold the pace to achieve that time. It's pretty easy math, don't get lost in the thrill of big training and forget the math. Speed and pace are cruel and being able to run 5 miles after a 100 mile bike is awesome, but if you are not achieving the required pace nothing will change that come race day.
2007-08-12 9:53 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I was asked a question this morning via PM about recomendations for coaches and think this is also a point worth discussing. My only recomendation would be to try and find a coach who is local so you can have one on one time and who has either sent athletes to Kona or has been there him or herself. I think it's important that they have either personally achieved or coached an athlete to that level.

Now, this is just my personal feelings and is NOT meant to disparage coaches who haven't been to Kona or trained Kona qualifiers. It just for me, I needed to know that they had done it. I wanted my coach to be the best, both as a coach and athlete. My coach is a 2 time Kona finisher and has qualified again this year with a 3rd place AG finish at IMLP. My respect for him as an athlete allows me to completey surrender my training to him and trust in his abilities to help me achieve my goals. This is a very important part of getting to Kona I didn't want to leave out.

2007-08-12 11:32 AM

Coach
Boston, MA
I think that a good coach will be one who matches your personality, understands what it takes () to achieve athletic goals (sports knowledge/experience and physiology), knows how improve your weaknesses and polish your strengths. IOW he knows how to push you to the limit without going over it. The one-on-one coaching might be a nice added benefit but certainly not a requirement at all…

i.e. in my relative short coaching experience, I’ve never done a IM, yet all my guys have always finish their race on or above their goals, one guy did a 10 hr on his 1st IM ever with relative talent (not necessarily good genes). My coach (and coaching biz associate) has never been to Kona yet he coaches more than a few elites and top AGers (not pros as they have to take care of family/kids and with 40 hr day jobs) which are achieving great results this year. One of them won IMLP this year (among other races) and is on his way to Kona. (I contributed). Another one has top 5-10 finishes at big HIM races such as FL 70.3, Eagleman, SOR, etc. IOW, in term of coaching: knowledge, experience and sports specific understanding is a lot more important that personal athletic achievements…

2007-08-12 11:57 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Not to be too argumentative, because it's mostly good advice, but I wouldn't fully agree on a couple points. 

First, a (good) coach may be a huge help.  But it is not "essential".  There are and continue to be athlete's who qualify without a coach.

Second, IM training and Kona qualifying training differ only if by "IM training" you are simply implying training to finish the distance.  If you train to optimize your performance given your limitations, I'd argue there's no difference.

The key (as noted in your comments about hitting all your workouts) is consistency and quality.  Then combine that with smart race execution.  That will yield optimal results.  And if you've taken the time to build the engine and/or have been blessed with the right genes, then a Kona qualification may result.

I do agree that many people who are capable sabotage their chances for success by either not training properly and/or not racing smart.  A good coach would probably make the difference for them (assuming they listen to said coach).

2007-08-12 3:14 PM

Pro
Woodstock,GA

This is an interesting discussion....good points made by all.

Bryan you are certainly not joking about winning the genetic lottery! I have watched you over these last months (I wish you would log your workouts on here so we could all see what you do) and are amazed at your progress. You are definitely the exception rather than the rule on how much progress you have made in the past year.

I agree with Jorge on how qualifying for Kona or anyother big race (i.e. Boston) is a mix of genetics and hard work. I can take someone with a VO2 in the 50's and have them be the most dedicated athlete in the world, never miss a workout, and maximize everything that I give them and still not even come close, wheras you have an athlete with a VO2 in the low 70's that trains hard but not to the letter, and comes out with a qualifying slot.

I would disagree with you JK on the coach not being essential for a qualifying effort. I am sure that there are many self coached people who make it to Kona every year, but I honestly feel that if you are going to center your season around one race and one chance to make it to the Big Show you need another set of knowledgeable eyes making sure that your plan is building on itself (like Aaron said every workout has a purpose) and that you have enough recovery built in also. I find that most of the Elite/top AG athletes that we get are guilty of not recovering enough on their own and that in turn hinders their development.  I think this is especially important for those in a highly competative AG where you need to be a psedo-pro to even have a chance.

Good stuff in this thread for those out there who are dreaming of the Big Island.

Footnote: I would be curious to see what the average VO2 Max reading is for each AG in Kona.  I would bet that with the exception of a few outliers on the curve that it is 70+.

2007-08-12 3:20 PM

Just out of curiousity, when I watched the coverage of the 2006 Ironman Hawaii, it seemed that there were athletes of all different shapes and sizes crossing the finish line. Let me just say that anyone who finishes an Ironman is a hero in my book but how does your more average competitor gain entry into that race? I know there's a lottery and the qualifying times vary by age group but when I watched some of the late finishers coming over the line I was amazed by the variety of competitors.
2007-08-12 3:23 PM
in reply to: #922772

Rocket Man - 2007-08-12 4:14 PM
Footnote: I would be curious to see what the average VO2 Max reading is for each AG in Kona.  I would bet that with the exception of a few outliers on the curve that it is 70+.

Even the women?  Man I really missed out on the athlete genes!  Oh well.

2007-08-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: #922784

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

You guys are making it sound like it is the search for the holy grail or something ........... I'll throw out that it is as much heart and dedication as it is raw talent and training paces.

It doesn't matter if you can swim an hour and ride in five if throw the towel in mentally after halfway on the run.

I'll also argue that training at the limit/extreme day in and day out (even if it is at the limit of that days training zones) is generally a bad thing.  There is a reason a "recovery" day is a recovery day.  It is to allow your body to regenerate and recoup.  To keep pushing at every opportunity is a recipe for disaster.  I've personally been through that with my cycling training years ago and is the reason I totally got out of the sport and it took me 5 years to even want to throw my leg over a bike again.

As far as the coach thing goes??  I'll say whatever floats your boat, but it is not always necessary to have to have someone tell you what to do and when to do it.  I think that is really a personal thing (going back to the motivation and heart - mental aspects).  Even if someone has a coach (as you demonstrated with your examples Bryan) it does not mean they will do all the workouts or make it to their goals as planned.  The coach isn't there at 5 in the morning to drag your azz out of bed to get that run in ...... Tongue out

I think the general agreement, from me as well, is that it takes a true dedication and attitude mentally that you have to put yourself totally into the goal to be able to achieve it.  But it also takes pure guts and desire when you are on the course.  And it also totally depends on who shows up that day and on the course iteself.  You can train your azz off and peak perfectly, but there just might be 10 - 12 guys in your AG that did the exact same thing and have their perfect race and eek out the slots.

It is also important to mentally prepare yourself for even if you have your best race but don't get that slot.  I would imagine that someone who is not ready for that could "ruin" their triathlon enjoyment from not getting it ......

But what do I know, I've never qualified for anything major (unless you count Boston which is time based, not competitive based - and that I would have gotten a roll-down slot for the 70.3 WC this year at Eagleman if I had wanted it, which I didn't).

2007-08-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: #922784

Champion
South Jersey
DMW - 2007-08-12 4:23 PM

Even the women?  Man I really missed out on the athlete genes!  Oh well.

Me too. But I do have heart and guts. That's why I like Daremo's post .

2007-08-12 4:43 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
JK- You're right, certainly many athletes can qaulify without a coach. Keep in mind, this thread is only my own opinions and are ceratinly not gospel on the subject. I do think that, as Rocket Man pointed out, a coach can provide a very detailed road map to follow as well as a knowlegeable pair of eye's evaluating you progress day and to day and can effect change when it's required. Again, I think for an age grouper who wannts to qualify, a coach can provide a much greater opportunity for the athlete to be able to succeed.

In regards to your second point, no, it really is different even from simply optomizing your performance. The specificity of Ironman you to obviuosly not just be a really good swim, bike, runner. Training to be great at those three sports would be optimizing perfromance. Training yourself to be able to do all three in sucession within a specific parameter of time is different. Again, this is an area where a coach can be of great help. We all now that the key to finishing an Ironman is putting it all together on race day. The key to Kona is doing so but within the context of managing your race effectively to be one of the top finishers in your age group as opposed to tryinng for a PR.

And to qoute Rick, "You guys are making it sound like it is the search for the holy grail or something ..........."
For some it is. For some it's an obsession. It wasn't for me, it was a goal I decided to set and became a task I needed to complete. I really wanted to go because of my mother and thought it would be so cool to make it there too. You are certainly correct in terms of the potential disappointment when some don't make it. Case in point, one of the athletes my coach trains fell short at IMAZ. At the finish line, his wife came up to my coach in tears and blamed him that her husband failed to qualify. I wasn't there but it was really sad. He was fine, but you could see the toll taken on by his family.
2007-08-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: #922823

Not a Coach
Media, PA

bryancd - 2007-08-12 4:43 PM JIn regards to your second point, no, it really is different even from simply optomizing your performance. The specificity of Ironman you to obviuosly not just be a really good swim, bike, runner. Training to be great at those three sports would be optimizing perfromance. Training yourself to be able to do all three in sucession within a specific parameter of time is different. Again, this is an area where a coach can be of great help. We all now that the key to finishing an Ironman is putting it all together on race day. The key to Kona is doing so but within the context of managing your race effectively to be one of the top finishers in your age group as opposed to tryinng for a PR.

Eh.  Agree to disagree on this.  Maybe it's just semantics anyway.  I see absolutely no difference.

And RM, again it's the word "essential".  If it's essential, then one can't qualify without a coach.  But people have and do.  Therefore it is not essential--though certainly a valuable asset.

And I would take the other side of your bet on the majority of AG qualifiers having a VO2max of 70+.  I bet a VO2max in the 50s is plenty to qualify. 

2007-08-12 9:14 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
My last VO2 test was a a 74.8, for what's it worth.

2007-08-12 10:09 PM

Master
Reston, VA
Just out of curiosity, how many hours per week on average would a person looking to qualify for Kona train? I know it will vary by week but is it about 15, 20, 25, 30 per week for 6 months or a year straight?
2007-08-13 4:54 AM
in reply to: #923055

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

bryancd - 2007-08-12 10:14 PM My last VO2 test was a a 74.8, for what's it worth.

Holy crap!  That's pretty damn kick azz!

Never tested, but an "estimator" based on my running PR's I set early in the year puts me only in the low 60's.

Damn, you're a oxygen-intake-stud!

2007-08-13 7:08 AM
in reply to: #923055

Expert
North Carolina

bryancd - 2007-08-12 10:14 PM My last VO2 test was a a 74.8, for what's it worth.

That explains a lot!! Considering most elite marathoners are in the high 60s.
I agree that you should know within a few minutes what your finishing time will be in all races. There is no magic on race day to where you are all of a sudden going to race faster than you train. If you have not seen the continued improvement throughout your training then you are doing something wrong.
Unfortunately for a lot of people who want to qualify for KONA, it will take longer and more dedication than the ones who have the great genes. For Bryan, he could do it in 10 months. For others it might take 3 years, for some it will never happen.
I always wonder when I see some training times of athletes and they go into a race with KONA aspirations. I think to myself, there is no way, if they push themselves to even come close by hammering the bike.....they will blow up on the run for sure!!!

It boils down to a lot of people can qualify, but for some it takes a lot more dedication and time. In the end having better genes makes it easier b/c you can see the results a lot quicker!!

2007-08-13 7:44 AM
in reply to: #923100

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
docswim24 - 2007-08-12 10:09 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many hours per week on average would a person looking to qualify for Kona train? I know it will vary by week but is it about 15, 20, 25, 30 per week for 6 months or a year straight?

I don't think it has to be based on time spent training per week. Again, I knew a few people who trained multiple 20+ hour weeks where as I only had about 3 weeks at that level of time. The other problem with just looking at hours spent training is if I can ride 100 miles in 5 hours and it takes someone else 6:30, their training time volume is higher but they are not going as fast so the time training is misleading. This circles back to my comments regarding being honest with your training. For qualifying or simply finishing an IM, the trick is to spend as little time as possible out there, makes your day much easier.

So time in the saddle or in your running shoe's or in the pool is good, but don't get lost in the time volume and forget the pacing, which is obviously of extreme importance if you want to try and qualify.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona Qualifying- What it takes.. Rss Feed  

of 10