Subject: RE: Jayne Rocks!!!!
Oh! I've got one, "Motivation for the Slow Fat Injured Triathlete."

2007-09-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: #950405

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

healthierme2 - 2007-09-02 9:31 PM Jayne, Regarding your book that never was, where you did tris around the country. The book I would buy would be The Short Fat Triathletes Guide to Beginner Friendly Triathlons.

I think that's the best book idea ever.  So many races claim to be "beginner freindly" or "great course for your first ___________[enter race length here]."  Then you get to the race and the bike/run involve nasty hill repeats that make you want to cry.  It would be sweet to have an accurate guide to races that REALLY are beginner friendly (and not just trying to attract more competitors). 

2007-09-04 12:28 PM
in reply to: #943694

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Thats a great idea, these beginniner events are scary and a turn off when you are faces with a deep swim start, riding your bikes through the Alps and a run that is mainly traffic dodgeball.

The YMCA usually have these events in the city to insure flat easy courses, and sometime starting off in a pool is lot better than a lake for those of us who are scared to death of what lurks down below..

Its always a good idea to ride the course before you sign up as well. A little plaining will do so much good.

Now, back on topic.. Went out to buy Jayne's book and half way through before my wife snaged it and she wont give it back. She doesnt play nice, but maybe she will get motovated..

Edited by mm5093 2007-09-04 12:32 PM
2007-09-04 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Hmmm.... I like that idea for the book. It would be tough to research though, without actually going to all the tri's and checking them out for myself. Just going to the 7 or so out-of-state races I did in 2004 pretty much bankrupted me. Of course I was unemployed at the time, which didn't help matters.

I'd have to have a team of contributors. (Volunteers?) The other thing is that new races pop up all the time, so the book would have to be updated at least every 2 years or so.

Or would the web be a better medium for this project? Interesting thought. Must ponder....
2007-09-04 9:28 PM

My copy arrives tomorrow. I look forward to the read. Jayne, you've got a lot of hype to live up to. Being a n00b and a Clyde and looking to complete an HIM next year I'll take all the help I can find. I'd love to have my wife read the spandex chapter of your yet to be written book. Seems to be a real female hang up. It truly mus feel awesome to have inspired so many.
2007-09-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: #952143

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

slowfattri - 2007-09-04 10:21 PM Hmmm.... I like that idea for the book. It would be tough to research though, without actually going to all the tri's and checking them out for myself. Just going to the 7 or so out-of-state races I did in 2004 pretty much bankrupted me. Of course I was unemployed at the time, which didn't help matters. I'd have to have a team of contributors. (Volunteers?) The other thing is that new races pop up all the time, so the book would have to be updated at least every 2 years or so. Or would the web be a better medium for this project? Interesting thought. Must ponder....

I was thinking the same thing the other day in reading these posts.  Since races change all the time, the web would be better.  I have read the race reports here on BT when I'm deciding whether to do one or not.  Maybe a Jayne/BT combined effort?

2007-09-05 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
I'd help.  I think an accurate source of race info is important, especially for beginners (and for peoplel ike me who have a hard time hauling their big butts up hills). 
2007-09-05 9:46 AM

Veteran
I really like the idea of some kind of mentoring for us slow and fat. If you think about it, impact of running is supposed to be about 7 times one's weight......one ONE FOOT! People who do not weight alot cannot possibly understand this and tell us to go out and do sprint intervals.
Also, hills. I'd like to see some of these people strap 100 lbs extra on their backs and watch them hill climb. It's just different. I am fat. I do tris. I'm hoping to do an Ironman next year. Let's find someone out there who can mentor us. At least there's Jayne to cheer us on....and each other.
2007-09-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #952395

User image

Regular
upstate NY
kaburns1214 - 2007-09-05 9:50 AM

I'd help.  I think an accurate source of race info is important, especially for beginners (and for peoplel ike me who have a hard time hauling their big butts up hills). 

I think we need to figure out a way for Jayne to get paid for this effort. At least travel/entry/gear paid for. I do like the website idea for changeability. Could be newletter format (online or paper). That's a little more agile than a book. Lest I sound like I'm making competition for BT, I'm talking about the focus being triathlon event reviews and mentorship.

2007-09-06 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Accurate information for beginners...love the idea.

Jayne...yah I thought the same thing about Firmman....I did it as a relay with other BT women last year...I did the bike and was quite surprised to find steep hills along the ocean...hmmm? 

My first HIM I signed up for said it was "perfect for newbies". with no hills longer than x or steeper than z.  I went and rode the course back in August with a fellow BTer and we both agreed it was harder than IMLP course. Then they up and changed the course as they didn't have permits for the orginal roads ...5725 feet of climbing in 57 miles...100 feet per mile.

This past weekend my family & I went to check out the new course and I was going to ride it...it was a joke...road that always turned and were seemingly always going up...you couldn't see far in front of you with the lay of the road...ie dangerous with cars and also passing other cyclists.

One section had been repaved with gravel over black stuff and is like a gravel road. You ride that hill twice and I've never seen/ridden up a steeper hill add in the gravel factor.

It annoys me to no end that the race info is so wrong..I opted not to do the race as I just don't see the bike course as safe and I've had enough crashes this year. So after  planning on the race for 10 months, paying my money I had to find a different race.

With a 5 hour bike cut off I very much doubt most newbies will make it..I'm a strong cyclist but slow swimmer and doubted if I could make it....and a flat HIM I could do close to 3 hours on the bike. 

2007-09-06 11:55 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Thats crazy, how do they expect people to get into the sport if the information about the race is wrong? Changing the course last minute isnt right either, as you stated many of us pre ride the curse before hand before we pay our money and if the course is something differnet than we expect then we should be able to get our money back. most events dont allow that and your either stuck doing the course or losing your money. There has been only a few time where the RD allowed me to transfer the funds from one race to another +/- the left over fee

PS> Finally finished Jaynes Book. Awsome, great book for newbies!!!! two tri ups!!!

Oh, I do look good in my bike shorts, so there!! ;-)

2007-09-08 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Whoa - 5700 feet of climbing for a HIM? Not exactly "perfect for beginners"!!

I agree, race directors should be held accountable for last minute course changes and at *least* provide credits for folks to do a different event.

I'm thinking there should be a site where people can review races on any number of criteria - course difficulty; scenic qualities; quality of shwag; aid stations; post race chow; atmosphere; beginner-friendliness, etc. Does BT not have this already?

Jayne
2007-09-09 2:59 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Jayne, you're an inspiration to all of us whose "bits jiggle in lycra". And boy do mine! I finally got up the nerve to be seen in public in bike shorts, but not committing to a jersey yet!

I was glad to read the book and to see this forum and know that I'm not the only person with a less than perfect physique getting into this sport. A year ago when I got the crazy idea that a 299 pound ex-athlete could train for and actually complete a triathlon...I thought I might be the only one. I'm glad to see that there is a community of fellow athena/clydesdales dealing with the same issues that I am dealing with! So, I'm heading into my first race in a few weeks scared, excited, but secure.

Jayne, keep the books a-coming. I'd read anything you wrote! Even your race reports are hilarious!

2007-09-09 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I feel kinda silly even posting here, I am not an Athena, I can find tri clothes to fit me, blah blah...

But the self consciousness issue, the self loathing, self berating for not watching my eating, the paradoxical response to the unhappiness that is eating more, feeling like I don't belong etc....

Jayne your book is awesome. When I bought your book, the woman at B&N said, "you're not fat!"  and I wanted to die just because she was even looking at me... While I appreciate how much harder it is for significantly overweight people athletes, I just wanted you to know that your book offers something much bigger and more universal: the idea that taking care of yourself and loving yourself and HAVING FUN, goshdarnit, is not only for "other people."  So thanks!

2007-09-09 12:47 PM

User image

Regular
Hey sealiongirl - whoo hoo for your first upcoming tri! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

possum - Yeah, I think i said somewhere in the book that you don't have to be fat to be a slow fat triathlete. It's really a state of mind. And everyone's self-conscious about something. What I feel is that when you're out there being an athlete, of whatever dimension or skill level, you have something to be extremely proud of. You're moving your body the way nature intended. You're strong, determined, and, hopefully, you're having fun. So let 'em look at you. You're an athlete, and you're beautiful.

Be slow. Be proud. Have fun.

Jayne
2007-09-09 2:13 PM

Veteran
So yesterday, I did a 5k. It was for walkers and runners. I made the decision to run the whole 5k, even if it meant just scooting. I was determined to not stop to walk. Nothing wrong with walking which I always do, but this was just the goal I set.
So coming into the finish line (it was a local race so no chip timing), and having people pass me walking with baby strollers and dogs, they asked me if I was a walker or a runner??!!
I know I am as slow as a slug, but that was pretty insulting. And yes, people did walk faster than I ran, but I did it. I ran the whole way. And, I don't want anyone telling me it will get better or easier. It won't and it doesn't. Been this way for years.
Oh well, this slow, fat triathlete is still in the game. I don't think I will ever love or even like running. Argh.

2007-09-09 3:30 PM
in reply to: #957008

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
writers2 - 2007-09-09 12:13 PM

• ..they asked me if I was a walker or a runner??!!

• Rhonda, you are a FINISHER. Hugs.
    2007-09-11 2:03 AM

User image

Expert
    I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
    I'm reading your book now and LOVING it, Jayne! I was introduced to it recently by MrsUSMC and I'm really glad she told me about it.

I'm only at the dreaming of doing a tri stage, but some of the points in your book definitely struck a chord with me as a walker who has done several 5k and 10k races. Thanks so much for speaking up for those of us who aren't thin with perfect bodies, but still want to be athletes. You rock!
    2007-09-17 10:00 AM

Ellicott City, MD
    I have to agree, I loved this book! It really inspired me to get started now. I was sad that I got through it so quickly so its great to have another to look forward to.

2007-09-18 10:18 PM

User image

Regular
    Hey Melissa - if you are dreaming of doing a tri, or even one leg of a tri, you can do it. Even if there's some learning involved, like learning to swim or something, you can do it.

Heather - don't hold your breath for the next book! It's 99.4% done, but due to my publisher being taken over by another publisher, it won't be seeing the light of day until late 2008. It is coming, and I will let you know, never fear, but alas... not for a while.

Cheers
    Jayne
    2007-09-23 10:35 PM

User image

Master
    Long Beach, CA
    Jayne,

I just had my first tri today and want to thank you so much. I took so much advice from your book and applied it. I had a blast and even got decent times...for me. Thanks again for inspiring all of us "slow, fat triathletes". You rock!

2007-09-24 6:47 AM
    in reply to: #976143

User image

Regular
    upstate NY
    Thanks so much for your book. My first tri was yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I never would have thought of this before I ran across your book this spring. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    2007-09-24 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
    Jocelyn and Healthierme2 -

Yay! I'm so excited for you guys getting into the wondrous and wacky world that is triathlon. Where else do they make special laces so we don't actually have to tie our shoes? Where else is body lubrication so important? In sports, I mean? Where else can you have so darn much fun!

Cheers
    Jayne
    2007-09-24 9:17 PM
    in reply to: #977603

User image

Master
    Long Beach, CA
    slowfattri - 2007-09-24 7:01 PM

Jocelyn and Healthierme2 -

Yay! I'm so excited for you guys getting into the wondrous and wacky world that is triathlon. Where else do they make special laces so we don't actually have to tie our shoes? Where else is body lubrication so important? In sports, I mean? Where else can you have so darn much fun!

Cheers
    Jayne

By the way Jayne, you really need to lobby the American Psychiatric Association to get "PRSS" added to the actual list of syndromes. I had a bad case yesterday and still have the after effects of it today. You should have seen my 15 minute search for the bike lock that was right in front of me! Ha!
    2007-09-24 9:25 PM

User image

Regular
    Oh, totally. PRSS is very, very real. The time that I walked my bike out of the transition area with my helmet on the aerobars, and a post-race burrito in the helmet? OK, that wasn't bad - but then I decided I wanted to ride the bike back to my car, and I put the helmet on my head with the burrito still in it? That was bad. Did I put that in the book? Cause that really was my best PRSS moment *ever*.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jayne Rocks!!!! Rss Feed  

of 5