General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jayne Rocks!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-08-28 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Jayne Rocks!!!!

Because we absconded with the "What makes a Clyde/Athena" thread, I thought we could use one solely devoted to Jayne.

Really in all seriousness, I picked up Jayne's book after having reconstructive ankle sugery and gaining 30 lbs due to a combination of not being able to walk for three months and using ice cream and peanut butter to make me feel better.  8 months after surgery (despite still carrying the weight around) I was able to complete my first tri and place third in the Athena catagory.  I've passes around my copy of Slow Fat Triathlete to so many people and it helped them get their start to.  I guess with all my rambling, I just wanted to say:

THANK YOU JAYNE!!!!!! 

2007-08-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: #943694

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: RE: Jayne Rocks!!!!

Jayne's book was such an inspiration to me as well.  I am a swimmer and had thought about tri-ing last year, gone to a clinic to get up my nerve, but only really registered and started training a year later once I had gotten through the first few chapters of her book.  (BT helped with the training and daily inspiration.)

I laughed constantly while reading it, and people on the subway thought I was nuts.  Little did they know I was contemplating a triathlon!  Knowing that would have removed all doubt!  But I have had an absolute blast training and tri-ing, and in the process I'm getting a thinner body back!  I think I smiled constantly during my first Sprint tri, and thanked all the volunteers as Jayne suggested.  It made for such a fun day. 

Proud to be a SFT! 

Laurie

2007-08-28 3:10 PM
in reply to: #943792

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Loved it too. Have never been an athlete and can't even recall how I happened on the book on Amazon. It is because of that book that I've been off the couch after pretty much being there my whole life. Before, I always said I'd do something AFTER I lost weight.
Thanks Jayne!
2007-08-29 12:04 AM

User image

Regular
Aw, shucks!

You guys are totally hitting the important themes there:
- how hard it is to come back from illness/injury
- how hard it is to convince yourself that you *belong* in the athletic domain, whether you were never in it in the first place or you're trying to return to your former glories
- having fun
- that you can do stuff BEFORE you lose the weight

Thanks for reminding me! I've been injured or sick a bunch this year and I'm trying to get my body back together to do my first century ride in early November, so you are inspiring me as well as the other way round.

My 2nd book (which won't be out till late next year due to some weirdness with my publisher being bought out) is revisiting all those same themes, as well as some new ones, but more from a general fitness/sports/moving your bod perspective than as a triathlon-specific manual. I'm hoping to get the word out to more people - even people who are not (yet) interested in triathlon - that moving is fun, self-consciousness is to be abandoned, and lycra is OK even on your imperfect body.

Keep up the good fun, everyone!

Cheers
Jayne
2007-08-29 6:12 AM
in reply to: #945186

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

I will jump on the Jayne bandwagon as well. If not for the book, I am not sure I would have had the guts to do this while still being overweight. When I read that she did her first race at the same weight I was at the time I started training. I remember thinking, "Hey! I just might be able to do this!" I keep the book by my nightstand and still read it when I need inspiration while working through injury and the continual struggle to lose weight.

Thanks, Jayne, for being such an inspiring figure for the Athena/Clyde community. Maybe in the next book you can throw in some more about the whole being okay in lycra stuff, I am still working through that.  

2007-08-29 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Kazho -

Yup, the new book has a whole chapter devoted to being ok in Lycra. It seems to be an issue for a lot of people, not just you and me! There will also be a chapter on complaining to the manufacturers when they don't make tri gear in your size, and another one on self-consciousness in general. (The chapters are short)

Hope your injuries abate soon. Are you training too hard/too long? Not enough breaks? We Athenas have to be extra careful not to overstress our joints, tendons, ligaments, etc. But the extra patience and discipline that it takes to build up slowly pays off down the line.

Cheers
Jayne

2007-08-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: #946431

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Those sound like great chapters! Lycra is such a necessary evil, but damn does it make things bulge in the most unnatural way.

As for the injuries, just too hard too fast. Couple of months ago I did a Train Strong session and thought after only six weeks of training I would try to keep up with the big boys (one being a pro football player). By that afternoon I could barely walk because of shin splints and have been dealing with it ever since. 

I work in the healthcare field, and we were talking today at work how getting back into shape can be frustrating due to injury setbacks. One of these days this creaky body will catch up to my inner greyhound. I hope the same for you! What kind of injury has set you back and whatcha doing to fix it?

2007-08-29 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Kazho,

Shoot, what injuries *haven't* I had? Let's see - hip flexor strain, back spasms (multiple times) neck spasms (multiple times), achilles tendonitis, pulled quad, tarsal tendonitis, and just the minor tweaks and aches that seem to contribute to OJS (Old Jock Syndrome). This is why I keep saying I need to get serious about yoga. But who has time to do yoga *and* train for triathlons? There are people who do it but I don't know how...

jayne
2007-08-29 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I was going to start this thread, and thanks to kaburns it is here already!  Jayne's was one of the first tri books I read that resonated with where I was in my life at the time.  I read a lot of other 'how-to-tri' books, but I felt Jayne's really helped me through the mental and physical challenges I was dealing with, especially body image!  I've always been a big, athletic girl, always will be, and yet after a 20-year hiatus from sports was totally intimidated to get out there again.  Now I am out there, in a one-piece spandex tri suit which in the eye of the beholder is tolerable), and have finished three triathlons in the past few weeks!!  Thanks, Jayne, and I will be eager to read your new book.  I'd also be very happy to have you as a mentoring group leader if you are interested, although the web site would probably crash with your 'fans' scrambling to have you be their mentor!!

2007-08-29 10:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

For sure if I hadn't picked up the book in '04 I would never have actually signed up for my first tri back 4 years ago.  All the other books just left me confused and afraid. I had lost weight, but still was overweight by 50 pounds, didn't really know how to run or swim. I started running in the dark so my neighbors couldn't see me...seriously never during the day.

What to wear was always an issue back then with rubbing, chaffing and getting stuff that fit my big belly/body. She made it fun and made me think there will be others like me. I remember at my first tri looking around trying to see if anyone was as big as me.

Her book made me see the joy in trying and accepting doing the best at where I was at the time. My first sprint was so hard...I came in 3rd from last and was terrified I'd be last somehow that was a big deal....had a blistering bike pace of 12.4 mph and like 13:20 m/m run pace. But I did it..proved I had turned my life around. It was the start of the change in me that I could do things I never thought possible. I'm signed up to do my first IM next year...dreaming big and having a blast.

I still read the book now and again and chuckle at Jayne's adventures and brutal honesty of all aspects of tri'ing.

I can't wait for her new book to come out and catch up on all she has done.

Now how cool she is part of BT.....glad you are here Jayne!

Edited by KathyG 2007-08-29 10:59 PM
2007-08-31 12:44 AM

User image

Regular
Hey y'all,

Three-day weekend coming up! Do we have big training plans or are we going to hang out around the BBQ with brats and beers? Or both? or neither? It's all good. A time and a place for everything...

KathyG - Yup, I've run in the dark a few times myself... I tell myself that I do it because it's cooler, but who am I kidding? I've gained a bunch of weight back so I've gone from fighting self-consciousness by going "hey, I'm getting skinnier and fitter!" to "hey, I'm pretty darn fit now and I"m not self-conscious at all!" and then to, "hey, I'm really slow and fat again...but by golly I'm not self-conscious about it!" Some days it works better than others.

Medusa Ann - love your avatar pic! It makes me feel like I'm the Weakest Link every time! Anyhoo, how does the mentor thing work here? I'm totally new to BT and I've really only been here to post on this board. What would I be committing to? Could it wait till the MS for the new book is actually accepted by my editor?

I have to tell you guys - if 5 years ago someone had told me that there'd be a thread on a triathlon message board called "Jayne Rocks!!!!" I would have laughed till I peed my pants. No way in h-e-hockey sticks! I'm still laughing (not quite to the Depends level), but just because I have been so amazingly fortunate to be able to share my story and hear so many other amazing stories. I mean, seriously, people have written me to tell me that their bike leg was interrupted by cows on the road; completing triathlons after multiple knee surgeries; all kinds of stuff. Life is good.

Jayne

2007-08-31 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Yippee Jayne! You are like the rest of us who struggle with weight... it is always there... it sometimes waivers, sometimes it is free from our thoughts... but at all different times it cannot be forgotten... we have to be aware of our weight because in an instant it can come up and multiply. I know I can come up with 100 reasons why i can't exercise or eat right... yet I know that I must agree to do something. This morning was a perfect example... I woke up early, put on my running clothes, my little girls were asleep, and it was time to get on the treadmill (yuck)... I then started the self loathing... I can't exercise outside (adopted my girls as a single mom), I hate the treadmill, this is my only quiet time, I want to drink coffee and read the message boards,etc. So... I said 20 minutes... that is all i have to do. Of course once I get on... I end up going 40 min. It is never easy...but it is always worth it. Look on the bright side... you have height... I am 5 '2 and qualify easily as an Athena.

Someone mentioned a mentoring group for our category... I think it is a must. I called the running club at my health club... the leader of the group basically said... workout more and try next year... most of us are 8-9 min milers. No incentive for someone who wants to learn to run. I am hesitant to participate in group trainings because I am truly fat and slow...but I want to learn and build. Just once I would love to run or bike with someone of my level.

Keep us posted on your progress and never... ever... be ashamed of where you are when you are there... this too shall pass. Trust me... I conquered breast cancer 2 years ago weighing almost 300lbs...I am much smaller now and signed up for my first sprint in November.

Elizabeth
2007-08-31 11:48 AM
in reply to: #948147

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

slowfattri - 2007-08-30 10:44 PM Hey y'all, Three-day weekend coming up! Do we have big training plans or are we going to hang out around the BBQ with brats and beers? Or both? or neither?

Medusa Ann - love your avatar pic! It makes me feel like I'm the Weakest Link every time! Anyhoo, how does the mentor thing work here? I'm totally new to BT and I've really only been here to post on this board. What would I be committing to? Could it wait till the MS for the new book is actually accepted by my editor?

Life is good. Jayne

From what I can tell, mentor groups start in January and May. . . . there's a board for that on here where it has directions for leaders, etc.  It would be wonderful if you would do that.  I am in a mentor group now, which has been really good for me, however I would jump on yours right away, as we have much in common and I like that!  Please keep us posted on your plans for that!!

Have a great weekend everyone!  I am hosting a bbq at our 'lake house' (my in-laws' house who are out of town) and there will be beer and burgers, but hopefully some swimming! I am riding around the lake (22 miles) on my bike before I dig into the beers.  Sunday I am going to a friend's for an overnight, my third time away from both kids ever.  Hoping to come back home refreshed and ready to jump into the school year.

My avatar is from a lookalike contest that I entered!  I am not so severe in my real life!! 

2007-08-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: #948609

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Medusa_Ann - 2007-08-31 12:48 PM

slowfattri - 2007-08-30 10:44 PM Hey y'all, Three-day weekend coming up! Do we have big training plans or are we going to hang out around the BBQ with brats and beers? Or both? or neither?

Life is good. Jayne

From what I can tell, mentor groups start in January and May. . . . there's a board for that on here where it has directions for leaders, etc.  It would be wonderful if you would do that.  I am in a mentor group now, which has been really good for me, however I would jump on yours right away, as we have much in common and I like that!  Please keep us posted on your plans for that!!

Have a great weekend everyone!  I am hosting a bbq at our 'lake house' (my in-laws' house who are out of town) and there will be beer and burgers, but hopefully some swimming! I am riding around the lake (22 miles) on my bike before I dig into the beers.  Sunday I am going to a friend's for an overnight, my third time away from both kids ever.  Hoping to come back home refreshed and ready to jump into the school year.

My avatar is from a lookalike contest that I entered!  I am not so severe in my real life!! 

You're avatar is great.  You should rotate it with an "action shot" -- the triathlon kind so we all can see both sides.

I've got a long brick on Saturday 45 mile ride and 5 mile run at HIM pace then a rest day on Sunday.  Gearing up for the FIRMman HIM on 9/10.

2007-08-31 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
I did FirmMan in 2004 - really nice race in a pretty setting. I was a little shocked at how hilly it was though. I didn't think of coastal Rhode Island as being quite so, um, steep. I loved Narragansett though and I also went over to Newport for a lobster roll. I had never been to RI before so the whole experience was very pleasant.

(In 2004 I did this huge triathlon odyssey- did races all over the country. The idea was that I would write about my races, and the food I ate in the areas, and use that to explore issues around eating and exercise. Well, it turned out my publisher, who had signed a contract to buy that book, decided they wanted some different book, so I spent 2 1/2 years trying to figure out what book that was and writing different parts of a book, only to have them tell me "no, that's not quite it." But the tri odyseey was an amazing experience nonetheless.)

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed as such.... more frustrated that I can't figure out how to maintain my weight loss. i just have this predilection to eat too much, to eat when I'm not hungry, and to make "oh, what the f***" choices too often. I love being active and athletic at any weight, but it's so much *easier* when I'm lighter. I don't think I'll ever get really skinny - not sure I'd even want to be - but I felt really good in the 185-190 range.

Medusa Ann - that's hilarious. You actually did an Anne Robinson lookalike contest? I had no idea such things had ever existed!

Jayne
2007-08-31 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

"Medusa Ann - that's hilarious. You actually did an Anne Robinson lookalike contest? I had no idea such things had ever existed! "

I don't know Anne Robinson is...it was a Supernanny lookalike!  In person it is even more uncanny, but even in the photos it garnered a lot of double takes.  I didn't win, by the way. 

--Leslie

2007-09-01 12:02 AM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Why doesnt BT offer Jayne's book on their website? Thats no playing fair and I am going to tell my mother on them.....
2007-09-01 11:20 AM

User image

Silverthorne, CO
What is Jayne's Book?

Blizzard

Edited by Blizzard_rw 2007-09-01 11:25 AM
2007-09-01 12:34 PM
in reply to: #949642

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Blizzard_rw - 2007-09-01 11:20 AM What is Jayne's Book? Blizzard

SLOW  FAT TRIATHLETE. And it is the book that convinced me that, yes I too can do a Tri, an even have fun doin' it. Some people look at me while running, and I can see what they are thinking. "Your fat." Yea, but I would be just as fat, or fatter, not running so what the hell.

2007-09-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: #949670

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Jayne, you need an avatar!
2007-09-01 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Hi Jayne,

I put this on the "yay for athena" thread but not sure if you saw it so I thought I'd say it here too.  I love your book!  I didn't read it 'till after I'd already done a tri but it was still a great read, especially the first chapter.  I always enjoy reading other ppl's experiences, and your humor makes it even better.  You had me laughing out loud many times.  Great one-liners.  Especially the arthritic cow line.   (There were others I liked a lot to but can't think of them off hand).  Anyway it's great to have you here on BT!

2007-09-02 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hey thanks, lil_turtle. I'm very honored. It amazes and totally thrills me that I have been able to reach so many people with what started out as my race reports... Very fun.

Yeah, I do need an avatar. I've been too busy posting to figure out how to add one on this site!

Cheers
Jayne
2007-09-02 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
PS - Anne Robinson was the mean British host of "The Weakest Link" a few years ago. I've never seen Supernanny so I missed that reference...
2007-09-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #950312

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I was definelty disapointed to see that Jayne already had a signifcant other in her life, but then I remembered I am married, so I guess it really did not matter much anyway.
2007-09-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: #949315

User image

Regular
upstate NY
Jayne,
Regarding your book that never was, where you did tris around the country.

The book I would buy would be The Short Fat Triathletes Guide to Beginner Friendly Triathlons.

Edited by healthierme2 2007-09-02 8:31 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jayne Rocks!!!! Rss Feed  

of 5