Chico Running Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 47s
Overall Rank = 30/75
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Usual bagel with Peanut butter, 1/2 power bar and 12 ounces of gatorade about an hour before start time, plus 1/2 a bananna.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the parking lot.
Run
  • 2h 10m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Forced my self to start out slow - by starting near the back of the pack. I was afraid if I took off with the "rabbits" I would blow up before the end. Probably 75% of the run was on a "technical trail" which made passing pretty tough.

First mile was 9'44", and I was able to average just under 10 minute miles across the whole 13.1.

The trail was really tough - lots of 15-25% grade climbs - many of which "we" walked up, to keep our heartrates in check. Footing was a constant concern, as virtually every step had to be carefully thought about.
What would you do differently?:

I think I did the best job my level of training would allow. After my HIM in July, I sorta fell off the training wagon (I prefer to think of it as a rest and recovery period). Anyway, with only one trail run (about 7 miles) and a long run of 10 miles, I am very happy with my results. This race was only 16 minutes slower than my fastest half-mary time, ran on a paved, pretty much dead flat course - so I was expecting a lot worse!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, had a p/t work on my calf muscles a little bit, had a bagel, some granola, a smoothie (they treated us really good). Then I met up with my family, and we went to Burger Hut for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, rocks, tree limbs, snakes and poisen oak!!! Oh, and the lack of training may have hurt me a bit too.

Event comments:

If you are into trail running, this is an awesome race!!! This was the first annual, so I'm sure we can expect even better things next year.

For 25 bucks, you get a cool long sleeve shirt, all the food you can eat, drinks, smoothies at the finish, AND a cool beer stein with the race logo on it. Awesome!!!

Last updated: 2007-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:47 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 30/75
Performance:
Mile 1 - 9'44" Mile 4 - 30'16" Mile 5 - 52'33" Mile 6 - 63'01" Mile 7 - 73'43" Mile 8 - 84'00" Mile 9 - 92'34" Mile 10 -102'10" Mile 11- 111'51" Mile 12- 121'01" Mile 13-129'59" Mile 13.1 - 130'10"
Course: Out and back course, going out we took the "middle trail" in Bidwell Park - lots and lots of hills, gullys, rocks and more rocks. Turned around near 10 mile road, and came back in mostly on the Yahi trail, which, while still very "technical", was much more appealing (running along the creek, with some shade and lots of greenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes