General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learned during my VO2 Max Test tonight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-11 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1002181

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2007-10-11 8:22 AM

2007-10-11 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1001971

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: What I learned during my VO2 Max Test tonight

AdventureBear - 2007-10-10 10:02 PM Amine, the explanation that was given to you is only one of the components and is trainable to some degree. LIkewise the peripheral adaptation is also trainable, and is the component that is worked on during our years and years (in some cases) of consistent endurance training. At any given fitness level, your MAX is what it is...there will be a maximum amount of oxygen that your body is able to use...the more muscle mass you incorporate, the higher it will be, so somethng like XC skiing would probalby be the highest. Any activity incorporating less than maximum muscle mass (i.e. upper & lower body), will have a PEAK for that activity, which is likely lower than your potential MAX at that given fitness leve. .

That’s why I thought the distinction was important for training. Although I am more concerned with my athletes Maximum Lactate Steady State, some guys that had come to me had tested their VO2Max and sometimes they swear by the numbers given at the lab. Which is not wrong, (well sometimes it might be ) but many as beginners are far from optimal training and making that distinction seems to help them understand they can strive for a lot more, IF perforrmance is their main goal.

Anyway, per the definition given to you, it seems anyone could jump off the coach and test  their VO2Max and actually reach it, and then do some training to get in better shape avoiding training at VO2 intensity, then re-test and still achieve the same results? (maybe slighty above due training).

2007-10-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1001862

Expert
Lake in the Hills
I must be a dork too....becuase I could read this stuff all day. 
2007-10-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1002214

Runner
PennState - 2007-10-11 9:14 AM

Another interesting side topic here is the concept of your glycogen stores in the liver.

Many people have been told that Fat is burned aerobically and Glycogen is burned anerobically... which is partially true, but not really accurate.Much of the aerobic metabolism does involve the breakdown of fat as aerobic metabolism is a slower process. However, the fat has to be converted to aerobic metabolism precursors... pyruvate, and this takes time as well. So while still maintaining aerobic metabolism, other sources aside from fat (glycogen, glucose, fructose, sucrose etc) are used. Glucose and fructose are very quickly converted to pyruvate, so while you are on that long bike ride, drinking simple sugars like this is very helpful for the aerobic metabolism to be maintained.

So what is this about glycogen being used anerobically... well in the liver it is stored for emergencies. Glycogen is essentially a complex carb which can also be rapidly (at least more rapidly than fat) converted into energy precursors to make ATP. The body tries to save it for anerobic metabolism, because it is part of a fast loop for quick (fight or flight) energy. The anerobic system is much faster than the aerobic, so the combination of the 2 results in the fast reserve energy system.Glycogen could also be used for aerobic metabolism, but the body (at least the way I understand it) is trying to save it for anerobic use in emergencies

Please correct me where I messed up... just trying to stimulate discussion

I saw a study that showed that the glycogen levels in the liver didn't vary by too great an amount during endurance activities, even though the muscle stores were (I think Noakes mentions this study, but I might be wrong on that).   Additionally, remember that the brain runs exclusively on glycogen, yet has no ability to store it, so it has to get its energy from other places.  Glycogen is used during aerobic activity, and fat is used during anaerobic activity.  The change is the percentage of each used.  Fat is used at a higher percentage at lower intensities, glycogen has a higher percentage at greater intensities.

2007-10-11 8:47 AM

Veteran
You wanted other numbers but I've only heard of a few people's. Lance Armstrong mentioned in on of his books that when he was "out of shape" he tested just over 60 and then went out, trained hard for a week, and came back in the lab and tested just over 70. I have no idea what his value tested is.

Somebody on here, I think it was bryancd, tested in the 60s as well. I guess you'll have to wait until after Saturday to hear from him though.

This thread is making me curious. Anyone know how to get your VO2max tested and about how much it would cost?
2007-10-11 8:53 AM

2007-10-11 10:33 AM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
This is great stuff...I gotta run to work & I'll reply later tonight.
2007-10-11 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1002214

Coach
Stairway to Seven
PennState - 2007-10-11 7:14 AM

Another interesting side topic here is the concept of your glycogen stores in the liver.

Many people have been told that Fat is burned aerobically and Glycogen is burned anerobically

The other part of that is that glycogen can be burned aerobically OR anaerobically! There are proponents who say that the "lactate threshold" has no direct correlation with the conversion to mostly anaerobic activity because a by product of aerobic glycogen metabolism is pyruvate...which can be converted to lactate when pyruvate exists in excess.

But the distinction is only a technical one, becuase studies still show that "something" happens at a magical point referred to as teh anaerobic threshold. And that point is still used to prescribe exercise intensity even if it is not entirely explaned by the coversion to anaerobic metabolosim.

Those who are in this camp do not have a better proposed "anchor" from which to base exercise intensity, so even though some disagree with it's underlying biochemical significance...(ie is the anaerobic threshold really occuring at a true anaerobic treshold?) there is still no recommended substitute measure by which to base exercise prescription from.

Did that make any sense at all?
2007-10-11 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1002221

Coach
Stairway to Seven
amiine - 2007-10-11 7:16 AM
Anyway, per the definition given to you, it seems anyone could jump off the coach and test their VO2Max and actually reach it, and then do some training to get in better shape avoiding training at VO2 intensity, then re-test and still achieve the same results? (maybe slighty above due training).

In theory, yes. Everyone has a given maximum amount of oxygen that their body is able to use at any given point in time. Whether or not they are able to reach an exercise intensity that would be at their maximum O2 uptake (VO2 max) is dependant upon things like motivation, fitness, disability,e tc.

For example, someone with arthritis, back pain, etc may not be able to exercise at an intensity to even reach VO2 max. If this test were done with expired gas readings, you would be able to look at a plot of the oxygen uptake (easily measured with expired gases) and see if there was a plateau.

An analgous problem is seen all the time wiht cardiac stress testing. Someone is put on a treadmill and is unable to exercise to the point where their potential 85% of MHR is reached (yes, they use the 220-age or 226-age in cardiac exercise testing...correct me if I'm wrong). So there is no way to tell if the heart muscle functions normally with increased oxygen demand...because the patient phsically can't reach it.

So then a second test is required to chemically induce cardiac stress and see if there is abnormality.

So Jorge, you're couch potatoe description is true in theory, and I would geuss that most youngish people actually WOULD reach their max or peak...you would have to look at teh output to know for sure.

However, even with sub "VO2 Max training", LSD training still improves the ability of the muscles to extract oxygen from the blood in the form of increased capillaries, increased mitochondria, increased oxidative enzymes, etc. So they would improve their VO2 max by doing only LSD training. This is step 3 of the 3 steps listed below

VO2 Max intervals mostly affect the total blood volume, and therefore increase the Stroke Volume of the heart, increasing the Central Delivery of Oxygen (step 2).

Factors in Oxygen use by active muscle:
1) Uptake by the blood (respiratory)
2) Central Delivery (heart rate, stroke volume, hemoglobin)
3) Peripheral uptake of O2 by the muscles (capillary density, mitochondrial density, proportions of type 1 to type 2 fibers, oxidative enzymes, etc.)

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-10-11 10:35 PM
2007-10-11 11:08 PM
in reply to: #1003916

Elite
Denver, Colorado
AdventureBear - 2007-10-11 10:26 PM
PennState - 2007-10-11 7:14 AM

Many people have been told that Fat is burned aerobically and Glycogen is burned anerobically

The other part of that is that glycogen can be burned aerobically OR anaerobically! There are proponents who say that the "lactate threshold" has no direct correlation with the conversion to mostly anaerobic activity because a by product of aerobic glycogen metabolism is pyruvate...which can be converted to lactate when pyruvate exists in excess. But the distinction is only a technical one, becuase studies still show that "something" happens at a magical point referred to as teh anaerobic threshold. And that point is still used to prescribe exercise intensity even if it is not entirely explaned by the coversion to anaerobic metabolosim. Those who are in this camp do not have a better proposed "anchor" from which to base exercise intensity, so even though some disagree with it's underlying biochemical significance...(ie is the anaerobic threshold really occuring at a true anaerobic treshold?) there is still no recommended substitute measure by which to base exercise prescription from. Did that make any sense at all?

Compounding the problem is that the energy systems overlap. According to this chart, downhill skiing uses each of the three energy systems 33-33-33. Based on my experiences, that's probably about right. Is skiing an aerobic or anaerobic activity?

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm

2007-10-12 7:26 AM

2007-10-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1004116

Coach
Boston, MA
PennState - 2007-10-12 7:26 AM

I agree that glycogen can be used aerobically or anerobically. There is a continuum of energy use in the body. Glycogen is broken down into useable starting fuel for both pathways... the main difference with the fat stores is that it is more rapidly available for use.

From my understanding you can train your body to increase it's glycogen stores to some extent as you build your endurance.

yes, training at or sub MLSS will do this in particular. check this table from Coggan (scroll down), I think it is pretty neat. http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/levels.asp

2007-10-12 7:51 AM

Coach
Boston, MA
I understand what you are saying, I know we all have a VO2Max (which is trainable) and I know that even doing volume over intensity, that training it will increase your VO2 (although at a lesser degree) but my whole point is that a untrained individual will have a harder time reaching a VO2Max (or not) hence I mentioned VO2 peak in the context I was taught.
2007-10-12 10:43 PM
in reply to: #1004146

Coach
Stairway to Seven
amiine - 2007-10-12 6:51 AM

I understand what you are saying, I know we all have a VO2Max (which is trainable) and I know that even doing volume over intensity, that training it will increase your VO2 (although at a lesser degree) but my whole point is that a untrained individual will have a harder time reaching a VO2Max (or not) hence I mentioned VO2 peak in the context I was taught.

Got it...now I understand what you were saying. Regardless, all you'd have to do is plot the data to see if they were able to exercise beyond the point where the VO2 max was reached. If they terminated the test and you plotted the VO2 and it continued to increase right up to the end of the test then they didn't reach their Max.

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-10-12 10:44 PM
2007-10-18 12:03 AM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
FYI, I did two additional tests today in class.

One was a submax test, called the Astrand-Rhyming test on a cycle ergomenter, no expired gases, just HR taken over 6 minutes, and then you look up stuff in a table.

The idea is to see if you can predict your VO2 Max based on a sub-max VO2 test.

My predicted VO2 Max with this test was about 37.5 ml/kg/mn or about 8% lower than last week's tested max on a treadmil of 40.4 ml/kg/min

The other test was just a prediction equation based on your gender, age, weight and self-identified activity scale from 1-7 (the top number, 7 was bascially anything greater than 10 miles of running or more than 3-4 hours of similar activity per week) I chose 6 to be conservative as I've been biking up to 4 hours a week.

The result of that equation was a mere 33ml/kg/min, almost 20% lower than what I tested. So go figure.

Next week's test is the last one, and is a Peak VO2 test on a cycle ergometer. That's the one I'm most intersted in.
2007-11-15 10:09 AM

Expert
Toronto

Bump...

So what ever happend to the last test?

2007-11-16 12:15 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THanks for the reminder. I'll look up the details, but my VO2 Max on the bike was just under the 40.4 I tested on the treadmill. I was a little dissapointed and figured since I was bike trained and not run trained my VO2 max would be similar...but biking uses fewer muscles than running, so less muslce mass activation means less total body oxygen required.

I'll post the actual numbers maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for asking!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learned during my VO2 Max Test tonight Rss Feed  

of 2