Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Free means free, right? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-19 9:38 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: Free means free, right?

After reading some posts recently that seem like sideways commentary on people who use this site for free I've got ask - does this bother you?

I've never signed up for a membership.  As a free member I don't get access to the things that paying for a membership would bring.  It's not like I'm hacking in to the system or anything.  So what's the big deal?

If you response is that the "free" members in TAN are using it like chat that's inaccurate.  TAN is not chat, despite comments to the contrary.  It is a thread in a free forum.  If it were chat I wouldn't be able to access it.   See how that works? 

If you doubt for one minute that this website is functioning exactly the way the owners/moderators/bada$$es who run it want it to you should just PM them and ask them their opinion.  They are very accessible.

disclaimer:  This is not a defense of TAN.  I am not a TAN regular, haven't posted in a TAN more than once or twice a month since the first one and I don't believe that TAN is mentioned in the Bible.  At least not by name.  This is a commentary about how us free members use the site and those who seem to be complaining about it.

2007-10-19 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1015306

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Free means free, right?

I think that part of being a member of a community is that you have something to contribute to that community, be that money, advice, levity, support for others...whatever.

2007-10-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1015317

User image

Runner
So, if I contribute advice, things are equal?
2007-10-19 9:47 AM

But what about those of us who aren't trainers/elites/experts, etc and can't give good "solid" advice? I mean, I'll pitch in answers to questions based on my experiences, but I'm new to these things. So does that mean that you all feel like I (and those like me) should either pay or get off the site? I'd be sad if it did and I hope not many people feel that way
2007-10-19 9:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1015331

Runner

wurkit_gurl - 2007-10-19 10:47 AM But what about those of us who aren't trainers/elites/experts, etc and can't give good "solid" advice? I mean, I'll pitch in answers to questions based on my experiences, but I'm new to these things. So does that mean that you all feel like I (and those like me) should either pay or get off the site? I'd be sad if it did and I hope not many people feel that way

But, you don't post in TAN threads, so you're ok. 

2007-10-19 9:50 AM

Giver
hangloose - 2007-10-19 10:38 AM

If you response is that the "free" members in TAN are using it like chat that's inaccurate.  TAN is not chat, despite comments to the contrary. 

Another TANner in another thread said "As a BT member, I like to think of TAN as my slow paced chat during the work day.  It helps keep my ADD in check.  I pop in, make a comment and get back to work."

That sounds like Chat to me.

2007-10-19 9:51 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Usually FREE is followed by being slapped with Shipping and Handling charges.

I’m asking for a BT membership for Christmas.

2007-10-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1015331

Giver

wurkit_gurl - 2007-10-19 10:47 AM But what about those of us who aren't trainers/elites/experts, etc and can't give good "solid" advice? I mean, I'll pitch in answers to questions based on my experiences, but I'm new to these things. So does that mean that you all feel like I (and those like me) should either pay or get off the site? I'd be sad if it did and I hope not many people feel that way

I don't feel that way...it's been my experience that everyone is encouraged to post in the Forums...

2007-10-19 9:53 AM

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
And if Ron or Marmadaddy or any of the other Mods had an issue with TAN, they would take care of it.  So now the question is, do you have inside knowledge the rest of us don't have or just projecting what you think/hope is a problem?
2007-10-19 9:54 AM

Champion
Gold member

(I'm going to duck in hear real quick

Yes!

Free members are just as loved and cherished as Performance members and they both contribute valuably to the site in their own respective ways.  I just hope that we do a good job in splitting features to both areas to keep everyone happy.

Just an example, we make little money off of advertsing-about enough for a server (we are due to have three by December)...you have to be either a monstrous site at least 10x of what we do now or you have to be a smooth talking, active marketer to potential advertisers to make anything decent.  BT is not yet the former and I am definitely not the latter.  Free members primarily keep the site alive, active and growing, but it's the performance members that provide the funds to keep it running and improving.  We need both.  Both are intertwined and cannot be separated.

2007-10-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1015355

Expert
Lake in the Hills
Ron - 2007-10-19 9:54 AM

Yes!

Free members are just as loved and cherished as Performance members and they both contribute valuably to the site in their own respective ways.  I just hope that we do a good job in splitting features to both areas to keep everyone happy.

Just an example, we make little money off of advertsing-about enough for a server (we are due to have three by December)...you have to be either a monstrous site at least 10x of what we do now or you have to be a smooth talking, active marketer to potential advertisers to make anything decent.  BT is not yet the former and I am definitely not the latter.  Free members primarily keep the site alive, active and growing, but it's the performance members that provide the funds to keep it running and improving.  We need both.  Both are intertwined and cannot be separated.

Thank you.

2007-10-19 10:00 AM

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Yes!

Thanks Ron!

2007-10-19 10:01 AM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Thanks Ron,

This is a greeat site and a great service, none finer anywhere. I am amazed by the amount of stuff that you are able to put out there for free, and by the work that it must take to make that happen.

I'll add that I am also impressed constantly by the level of civility that this site maintains on a regular basis. We can all get a little snarky from time to time, but everyone here seems to be able to really keep things in perspective, even when disagreements happen, as they inevitablywill.

2007-10-19 10:02 AM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Yep, free is free. You're not getting anything management didn't intend for you to have, you're not violating their business model, you're not breaking any laws. However...

Personally, I realize that even the free services cost money to provide. I realize even more that those free services have value to me, and I would hate to see them removed, reduced, or (with this great site) NOT CONTINUE TO IMPROVE due to lack of financial support. Certainly, to have this site continue to exist, even to flourish, is worth the <$2/month to me.

Do I think less of those freeloaders who don't pay? Nah, most of them (like Loosey) give me plenty of other reasons to look down on them. 

Cool

Edit just to say that I was typing this while Ron posted. See no reason to change anything else...

Edited by the bear 2007-10-19 10:03 AM
2007-10-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1015323

Extreme Veteran
Scout7 - 2007-10-19 9:44 AM

So, if I contribute advice, things are equal?

Well, maybe not your advice... Obviously, what I contribute is my charm.

Edited by HankJKy 2007-10-19 10:05 AM

2007-10-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1015342

Crystal Lake, IL
run4yrlif - 2007-10-19 9:50 AM
hangloose - 2007-10-19 10:38 AM

If you response is that the "free" members in TAN are using it like chat that's inaccurate.  TAN is not chat, despite comments to the contrary. 

Another TANner in another thread said "As a BT member, I like to think of TAN as my slow paced chat during the work day.  It helps keep my ADD in check.  I pop in, make a comment and get back to work."

That sounds like Chat to me.

Jim - since when do users decide how the functions of the site operate by simply posting their opinion of things?  I can post all day that the colors in my avatar are green and yellow to me.  That doesn't change what colors they are.  If TAN is chat why can I access it?  I'm differentiating between our opinions of things and the site's creator's intentions.  (I hate double possessives -  they seem gooey.)

Ron's post goes to my point - these guys are everywhere.  They may not post a lot, but they see everything we do (especially, ahem, a select few of us) and they take care of it when it doesn't fit their vision for this site. 

2007-10-19 10:07 AM

Champion
Richmond, VA

As a relative newbie here, I first joined because it was free.  Then, after getting more involved, I bought a membership.  Now I stay because I've found so many of my beloved Hawkeyes on this board!!!

GO HAWKS!!!!

2007-10-19 10:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
  •   Free members primarily keep the site alive, active and growing, but it's the performance members that provide the funds to keep it running and improving.  We need both.  Both are intertwined and cannot be separated.

• Do I get to pick which one I get to be intertwined with? Please?
    2007-10-19 10:10 AM

Champion
    Fairport, NY

Ron beat me to it, but I want to specifically address one thing asked above.

So does that mean that you all feel like I (and those like me) should either pay or get off the site?

A couple years back, Ron wrote the following: "BT was created to get the average overweight, overworked person back on track-to get people feeling good about themselves again."

The scope of BT has increased dramatically since that was written, but at it's core that is what BT is here for. It's where the joy is for me, seeing people begin and continue on the road to health and fitness.

If someone decides to purchase a performance membership because they want the additional functionality, or the training plans, or just to help support us, we're grateful and flattered. But if someone decides to use the free membership to log their training and enjoy the community and support that's to be found here, we're thrilled with that also.

This is, above all, a community of people who are seeking to improve themselves in body, mind, and spirit. We welcome all who seek the same and we're grateful for your presence.

2007-10-19 10:11 AM
    in reply to: #1015408

Runner
    HankJKy - 2007-10-19 11:07 AM
    Ron - 2007-10-19 9:54 AM . Free members primarily keep the site alive, active and growing, but it's the performance members that provide the funds to keep it running and improving. We need both. Both are intertwined and cannot be separated.

Do I get to pick which one I get to be intertwined with? Please?

You already did, and you're stuck with me. 

2007-10-19 10:11 AM
    in reply to: #1015387

the bear - 2007-10-19 11:02 AM

Yep, free is free. You're not getting anything management didn't intend for you to have, you're not violating their business model, you're not breaking any laws. However...

Personally, I realize that even the free services cost money to provide. I realize even more that those free services have value to me, and I would hate to see them removed, reduced, or (with this great site) NOT CONTINUE TO IMPROVE due to lack of financial support. Certainly, to have this site continue to exist, even to flourish, is worth the <$2/month to me.

Do I think less of those freeloaders who don't pay? Nah, most of them (like Loosey) give me plenty of other reasons to look down on them. 

Cool

Edit just to say that I was typing this while Ron posted. See no reason to change anything else...

Okay, now I feel bad I will buy a bronze membership as soon as I have some extra cash...

I didn't buy one earlier because I found this site when I decided to train for a triathlon and wasn't sure if I was going to hate them or not, so I figured it wasn't worth the money at the time.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2007-10-19 10:12 AM
    2007-10-19 10:30 AM

Master
    Colorado

So, I used to work at a health clinic that took paying patients (those with insurance) and non-paying patients (those without). I asked one patient (with insurance) why she came to this clinic for her regular check up and used it as her regular doctor, given that her insurance would pay for her to go practically anywhere of her chosing. (Oh fine. It was Planned Parenthood. I was trying to get around that name cause I know DonTracy has been busy lately and doesn't have time for this thread, but it might be too late). ANYWAY, that particular patient said to me:

"I used to come here when I didn't have another option; I didn't have health insurance and I needed the free resources. Now that I CAN afford other options, I still choose to come here, because I know that my paying to be here makes it possible for others to come here for free"

BT isn't a healthcare provider, and there's nothing here that people need (if you want to look at it like that), but I kind of see it the same way. BT has given a lot to me, so in return if I can purchase a bronze or gold or whatever membership so that it can continue to give others the same (in addition to giving me access to training plans, support forums and of course... chat), well, then thats pretty cool. But it's not for me to say what other's financial priorities are, and I know there have been some months I've let my membership lapse so I can throw money elsewhere.

In sum: ditto what Bear said.

2007-10-19 10:51 AM

Elite
    In The Peleton

Free is free here on the interweb.  But, I feel great about having a paid membership on BT.  If it was just an online world I wouldn't--BUT--IMWI and all the other races I did this year were so much more fun thanks to the cameraderie that was developed on this here web site.  I love the logging features, but the people features are the real value.  For providing the cyberspace to make those connections, I am more than happy to contribute financially to the site.

Best $25 I have spent in triathlon.  Seriously.

2007-10-19 11:51 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

When you start a thread you never know where it will go.  I was getting a bad vibe from some of the stuff posted in the last couple of days.  After reading this thread I feel like there's a little re-establishment of perspective and purpose here.  Or maybe I'm just making this all up in my head.

Bear - I will continue to set your expectations for me low - and then not live up to them.  It is my pleasure. 

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Free means free, right? Rss Feed  

of 2