2007-10-19 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1015306

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Free means free, right?
Freedom isn't free. It costs $1.05.

free = free.

hangloose has to put up with us and that is a high price to pay.

2007-10-19 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

After reading some posts recently that seem like sideways commentary on people who use this site for free I've got ask - does this bother you?

Not even a little bit.  I used BT for free for quite awhile.  However, after realizing how valuable the site was to me, I wanted to "give back" and so I joined as a bronze member and recently renewed as a silver member.  For me, that was the right decision, but I certainly don't take issue with anyone who chooses not to join nor do I feel like everyone has to contribute something... be it advice, opinions or money.  I think BT is a cool place because it is diverse yet there is a real sense of community and incredible support for athletes of varying abilities, neither of which requires a service fee.

2007-10-19 7:04 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Pay some if you can, don't if you can't (what, $15 for 6 months or something like that?).

If you don't pay but are actively participating in the community, I feel like you are contributing. If you come here, read advice, use the logs, search information, etc... but don't contribute in any way, I'd say you were taking advantage and are free loading.

In any case, I have no idea who pays and who doesn't. I'd hate for non-paying members to feel looked down upon when their presence is how BT started and a big part of what BT is and will be. I certainly don't take any notice of paying or non paying members.

2007-10-19 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Wow, an interesting topic...The fact it caught me off-guard as a relevant topic in the first place sums it up for me....isn't a big deal - payers vs. non-payers. I paid a modest sum for access to the training programs (which by the way I have yet to follow) and thought nothing more about it thereafter. What I found after being here a bit is a group of supportive people with similar passions, but vastly different backgrounds, experiences, opinions, etc. I neither notice nor take heed of the "level of membership", if any, of the posters when contemplating their contributions/advice. I believe all advice offered is with "best intentions" and take it as such. If anything, I pay slight attention to the number of posts and the training logs of the poster. The site is much stronger a community when ALL have access. Pay or don't pay, your choice, but your contributions are important to the vitality and viability of the site. 
2007-10-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1015471

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Chippy - 2007-10-19 8:30 AM

So, I used to work at a health clinic that took paying patients (those with insurance) and non-paying patients (those without). I asked one patient (with insurance) why she came to this clinic for her regular check up and used it as her regular doctor, given that her insurance would pay for her to go practically anywhere of her chosing. (Oh fine. It was Planned Parenthood. I was trying to get around that name cause I know DonTracy has been busy lately and doesn't have time for this thread, but it might be too late). ANYWAY, that particular patient said to me:

"I used to come here when I didn't have another option; I didn't have health insurance and I needed the free resources. Now that I CAN afford other options, I still choose to come here, because I know that my paying to be here makes it possible for others to come here for free"

BT isn't a healthcare provider, and there's nothing here that people need (if you want to look at it like that), but I kind of see it the same way. BT has given a lot to me, so in return if I can purchase a bronze or gold or whatever membership so that it can continue to give others the same (in addition to giving me access to training plans, support forums and of course... chat), well, then thats pretty cool. But it's not for me to say what other's financial priorities are, and I know there have been some months I've let my membership lapse so I can throw money elsewhere.

In sum: ditto what Bear said.

x2

Early this summer, I found BT and used the services for free. I also hooked up with a great group of people in my state. We met in person a few times and it was so much fun to know people at my first race! I would never have met them if it wasn't for BT. The log kept me motivated, the advice helped to keep me injury-free.

Then later in the summer I realized that I could get some free plans somewhere else or cheaper, but I could never get a community and support like this anywhere else. So I paid for the membership. I have the means for it and want to support the site so it stays open for non-paying members who can't afford to get the membership. I was in grad school way too long and dirt poor until I was 35, so I know. I hope this way I am supporting a few people to get off the couch and get moving!

2007-10-20 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1016858

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-10-20 2:25 PM

Pro
Evanston,

I pay.  Usually.  But I agree that non-paying members add value too. For example, one of the not-"Performance" members who posted earlier in this thread has given me a lot of help with my running this season, which has been extremely valuable to me.  I finished my first trail run today and am having my best running month ever. 

When I want extra EXTRA help, I'm going to bump it up to gold and start harassing making inquiries of Mike Ricci. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Free means free, right? Rss Feed  

of 2