General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Max pulse rate of 120 for dropping lbs???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 1:56 PM

User image

Maplewood, NJ
Subject: Max pulse rate of 120 for dropping lbs????

Hi

I just visited a bike shop to learn about road bikes (min 1500 for anything decent!!!! - Yikes . . but a story for another time and another forum).

In the process of looking at bikes I got to speaking with the store manager.

I currently weigh 265 and am doing triathlons to give me motivation to get my butt in the gym or put on the running shoes.

I use a pulse monitor and work out by having it pegged at 145 to 150 bpm the entire hour per day I manage to find to work out.

Here's the thing . . . . . . . he told me that if I have to keep my pulse at no more than 120 bpm or else I am not buring fat.  Any higher and, while I am gaining conditioning, I am burning carbs only while working out and my body will not look to fat for its needed energy.  (So I amreduced to starving as weight loss where I burn more calories in a day than I take in).

OK - but at 120 bpm I have to practially walk instead of jog.

So what's the deal?  Is it better to train for an hour in my 145 - 150 zone (which I am comfortable with) and know I am burning more calories or train for an hour in my 110 to 120 zone and know I am in the "fat burning" zone.  NOTE: I never have more than an hour a day to exercise.

Bottom line - its all about loosing weight.  While the conditioning might be better at 140 - 150 zone, conditioing is not a priority. 

I just want to do whatever will help me shed the weight the fastest.

Any thoughts out there?  Either from experience or knowledge?

Please help - really, really confused.

-Peter

2004-11-05 2:19 PM
in reply to: #79504

User image

Veteran
Norcal
Subject: well he's right and he's wrong....
try doing a search on the board for heart rate zones or anebolic threshold and you sould find some enlightening info that's already been posted and discussed.

Basically weight loss comes down to taking in fewer calories than you burn. When you exercise below your threshold a higher % of the calories you burn will come from fat. As you exceed your threshold a higher % of the calories you burn come from stored energy in your muscles. See how he's right and wrong?

Anyways a quick response but a search on the forum here will reveal more comprehensive and informed posts.

2004-11-05 2:21 PM

User image

Maplewood, NJ
Subject: RE: Max pulse rate of 120 for dropping lbs????

Thanks

I didn't realize you could do a search on the boards.

2004-11-05 2:38 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Here's some detailed heart rate info to get you started:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8886&posts=28

I do not think you need to get too set on a specific heart rate.  Since your goal is to lose weight, staying in the "fat burning" zone isn't so imperative and will be a tax on your limited time.  To lose weight, you need to burn calories, period.  If you maintain your exercise at a level where you can talk while exercising, you should be at a safe level for a beginner and be burning plenty of calories.  Here's an interesting article that explains why it's not such a big deal for weight loss. http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm

Here's where the fat burning and aerobic conditioning come into play.  Your overall goal for endurance sports is to teach your body to burn more fat than stored carbohydrates as you're progessing to longer distances.  Basically, once you run out of stored carbs, you bonk.  If you can teach your body to turn to fat during long races, you'll be able to go further and longer.

Since you already have a heart rate monitor, take your time to figure out what your heart rate ranges are and go from there.  I bet, though, if you wore your heart rate monitor and saw what it registered when you were walking/running at a pace where you could talk, you'd be pretty close to your aerobic zone.

What you don't want, however, is to be exercising at such a level that you are very, very sore the next day.  If you feel a little soreness, that's okay, but if you're still feeling it a few days later, you pushed yourself too hard.

I hope that sheds a little light on the matter.

2004-11-05 2:47 PM

User image

Maplewood, NJ

Fantastic.

Thanks a ton for your and mir66's responses.

I now understand the issue much better.

Bottom line - there is no silver bullet. 

Loafing along at 110 to 120 bpm (a fast walk for me) won't just melt off the LBS. 

Thanks again

-Peter

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Max pulse rate of 120 for dropping lbs???? Rss Feed