General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why so little love for the 70.3 Championship? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-11-05 1:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: Why so little love for the 70.3 Championship?
I know it is only the 2nd year, last year wasn’t all that good, it is not that hard to qualify (yet) and it a self proclaimed world championship (just like Kona) but after all, it is the championship for the series and a good number of great Pros such as Alexander, Lessing, Bjorn, Legh, Bonzonne, Colucci, Lieto, Cunningham and McGlone, Shumaher, Ficker, Lavelle, Cave, Kraft, Major, etc. plus many very fast AGers will be racing…

There is always great interest about all North American IM WTC/NAS races but nothing much for Independent or overseas IM and course almost none with some of the big HIM/70.3 races such as Wildflower, Eagleman, T-man, etc. I tend to look for race results, online coverage, etc. from many type of races from ITU to IM even though I have zero interest in racing IM, cuz I enjoy watching the pros, following athletes/friends, etc.

Just curious to learn why is that? is it for the lack of online coverage for other races or just lack of insterest? 

2007-11-05 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1038617

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Why so little love for the 70.3 Championship?

I don't think BT is the place to look for much discussion about the pros racing.  Didn't hear much this past weekend about Stephan Vuckovic setting a new course record or Sergio Marques doing his best to run him down from behind or how Kraft won despite knee and back problems recently.

People here care a lot more about "watching" other BTers race.  IMs offer one of the few opportunities to do that on-line.  There's also the draw from those who are planning to sign up the next day.  So even though they aren't racing, they're excited.

But don't worry, we're excited to see how the BTers can do in Clearwater this year too! 

2007-11-05 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
amiine - 2007-11-05 2:36 PM I know it is only the 2nd year, last year wasn’t all that good, it is not that hard to qualify (yet) and it a self proclaimed world championship (just like Kona) but after all, it is the championship for the series and a good number of great Pros such as Alexander, Lessing, Bjorn, Legh, Bonzonne, Colucci, Lieto, Cunningham and McGlone, Shumaher, Ficker, Lavelle, Cave, Kraft, Major, etc. plus many very fast AGers will be racing…

There is always great interest about all North American IM WTC/NAS races but nothing much for Independent or overseas IM and course almost none with some of the big HIM/70.3 races such as Wildflower, Eagleman, T-man, etc. I tend to look for race results, online coverage, etc. from many type of races from ITU to IM even though I have zero interest in racing IM, cuz I enjoy watching the pros, following athletes/friends, etc.

Just curious to learn why is that? is it for the lack of online coverage for other races or just lack of insterest? 

Hey - I for one, love following the pros! They make the sport interesting!

2007-11-05 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I'll weigh in.

First, No compelling reason to pay attention.  If you had athletes that created a focus on it, like a series where you exclusively 70.3, you'd get more interest stories, more personalities, and more event-specific focus.  Right now, most of the folks you mentioned race halfs in their 'spare time' to fulfill sponsorship commitments, additional prize money, but their focus is really on other distances (IM, LTF, or this year, qualifying for the Olympics).

Second, the industry doesn't really take it seriously. The AG'er finishing in 5:15 is nothing more than a long bike ride (in elapsed time) for the IM-crowd. Easy to pooh-pooh the accomplishment by the elite people in the sport, which absolutely carry weight.  Thus why I think a lot of folks, when they figure out they're good at long-course, that they 'graduate up' to IM. Everyone takes that seriously. 

Third, I personally lost a lot of interest when there was *NO* policing of the drafting last year. By every account, there was a peleton of folks everywhere you looked.  A little hard to overlook that big miss in a World Championship event. It's almost like the championship didn't take themselves seriously.

And lastly, it's a good destination, but it's not Kona. 

2007-11-05 1:59 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I'm just very curious as to why is amiine finally asking a question since he has always supplied very valuable answers? OMG he IS human!
2007-11-05 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1038655

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
rkreuser - 2007-11-05 1:55 PM

I'll weigh in.

First, No compelling reason to pay attention.  If you had athletes that created a focus on it, like a series where you exclusively 70.3, you'd get more interest stories, more personalities, and more event-specific focus.  Right now, most of the folks you mentioned race halfs in their 'spare time' to fulfill sponsorship commitments, additional prize money, but their focus is really on other distances (IM, LTF, or this year, qualifying for the Olympics).

Second, the industry doesn't really take it seriously. The AG'er finishing in 5:15 is nothing more than a long bike ride (in elapsed time) for the IM-crowd. Easy to pooh-pooh the accomplishment by the elite people in the sport, which absolutely carry weight.  Thus why I think a lot of folks, when they figure out they're good at long-course, that they 'graduate up' to IM. Everyone takes that seriously. 

Third, I personally lost a lot of interest when there was *NO* policing of the drafting last year. By every account, there was a peleton of folks everywhere you looked.  A little hard to overlook that big miss in a World Championship event. It's almost like the championship didn't take themselves seriously.

Hmmm.  Those are all interesting opinions.  I guess I'm not too surprised to hear them voiced even though I disagree with pretty much all of it (well, except for Kona being a better destination than Clearwater).

2007-11-05 2:19 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
rkreuser - 2007-11-05 11:55 AM

I'll weigh in.

I agree completely.

When the qualifying races can't give away spots to the championship, it's going to be a hard sell to athletes/ spectators.

As long as Kona is on TV, people (including triathletes) will consider that to be the holy grail of triathlons, nothing shorter and nothing longer.

2007-11-05 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I agree that the problems with the innagural race and the abundance of qualifying slots lessened the perception of Clearwater being a true premiere event. I alaso think that will change as the series is clearly very well run and growing in poularity. It may never have the same cache as Ironman, and Clearwater is unlikely to ever be held in the same regard as Kona, but I do think that over time, more and more athletes will be drawn to it.
In regards to the pro's, I think a great many of them are very attracted to it as it does provide more opportunity to race and earn over a season as opposed to IM. I think both 70.3 and IM need to take a lesson from ITU and the HUGE $$$$$ being handed out there if they want to keep attracting younger pro's.
2007-11-05 2:28 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
rkreuser - 2007-11-05 1:55 PM

I'll weigh in.

Actually I think a growing number of Pros will make 70.3 a focus since they can race/recover more often and maybe even earn a bit more $$. In fact Lessing, Bjorn, Legh. Cave, McGlone and even Alexander made that their focus. Alexander mentioned his result at Kona was a bit surprising for him as his expectation was more to soak into the experience for the future.

As far as Drafting, isn’t the same at every IM/HIM race? Did you watch Kona this year? Granted last year was out of control down in Clearwater but still...

Also, I know many IM crowd who wish they could go sub 5 hrs on their training long ride day  

BTW, in my OP I was making reference for both, Pros and AGers. As an endurance geek I get all excited following people online when racing any event/distance, even those in marathons when you can get their splits online at different parts of the course.

2007-11-05 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Well there were tons of Bters doing IMFL and there are only a few of us doing Clearwater so you won't get the same amount of excitement and love around here. Johnny Kay is right, if 40 bters were doing East Cornfield Sprint and it was live online there would be a watching thread 30 pages long. This site loves to support its' own.

Though I believe Clearwater will have TDF type coverage this year just like Kona.

Edited by Jackemy 2007-11-05 2:54 PM
2007-11-05 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Here's a different take:

Partly I think it's because triathlon is so full of "championship" races that another one just doesn't really register. But that's secondary.

Primarily it's because the series is new and WTC hasn't  had much time to market it. This race is the triathlon equivalent of Grandparents Day. It's completely made up out of whole cloth and people are aware of it. Current triathletes have their preconceived notions of what the big races are and it's tough to convince them that another new one should be granted equivalence.

It's going to take a few years of new people coming into the sport who already see "Ironman 70.3" as an established series with a championship race before it has a chance of getting serious traction. It's also going to take some serious marketing.  A Dave Scott/Mark Allen type duel, a Julie Moss crawling across the finish line moment. Something that presents a visual and emotional hook.

Right now to most triathletes it's pretty much just another race but this is too soon to judge. Check back in 5-7 years and see how it's regarded.

As evidenced by the fees RD's are paying to become an official Ironman 70.3 race, WTC is off to a good start with the 70.3 series, but they still have a ways to go.  I don't doubt for a second that it's on track though.

2007-11-05 4:33 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Give it time. As the sport continues to grow it will get more hype.

Last year's 70.3 WC race was televised on NBC. We watched it at the BT beach house, right before an American Gladiators re-run marathon! :-]

2007-11-05 8:14 PM

Champion
No excuses!

I think triathlon in whole as like other endurance events struggle to market their product. It is just too long of a day whether 70.3 or 140.6 to intrigue the masses. NBC has found their niche with Kona but watch the coverage and about 20% of it is only on the pros with the rest being human interest stories.

Now if Kona only has 20% coverage of the pros what will Clearwater get when most of the general public, heck most BTers couldn't name you 5 pros doing Clearwater.

Somehow they need to figure out a way to market it. Look at Boston, it is the grand daddy of endurance events as far as prestige and years going and it is resided to the verses network and who the heck can even find that on their tvs.

2007-11-05 8:47 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I"m looking forward to it.  Probably because it's in my backyard and I get to go volunteer and watch and oogle.  

They changed the bike course this year after all the drafting complaints.  It also goes over the big-arse new Bayside Bridge.   

It gets lots of local coverage here.

Yeah, valid points all over the page here.   I have no idea who half of those people are, but I do know a couple by sight/name.  

2007-11-05 9:35 PM

User image

Expert

Eagleman has been covered on ironmanlive for both 2006 and 2007.  The field there is always about the best in the country- it's a very fast course-just look at those times.  The interest in 70.3 will continue to grow (look at the new Boise and Rhode Island races) both with people just getting into the sport as well as veterans, some training for a future IM, others with no time to train for an IM. 

If anyone doesn't want to go to Clearwater, I'll take that slot Wink  I may only get one opportunity to race a world championship, so I wouldn't let it go to waste. 

2007-11-05 11:04 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well if they can not give out a spot I will take one. .

I think HIMs are fun. Really is a good length.

2007-11-06 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IMO, I think the first year was about what should have been expected; there were a limited number of 70.3 races so the number of slots at each race was very large. Further, as the race was new and unproven (and close to Kona) a number of AG athletes were either unwilling to plan their season around this race or passed on a slot wanting instead to focus on trying to get to Hawaii.

Then, with the issues with the bike course last year, there were many athletes who were put off and are going to wait to see how things go this year before going back.

I believe that Ironman is doing the right things as far as creating more races (I believe there are close to 30 now) that will reduce the number of slots per race and they have said at several races that they are going to address the bike course issues for this year. So, I think next year might be the year that you really see people start to look at Clearwater as a race to plan a season around.

Shane
2007-11-06 8:05 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Marma – great response and you are correct in many of your points. I think it was the USAT responsibility to take upon creating a series/brand about the most up and coming distance in the sport, but WTC did it and I do think they are doing a great job. I think it would be nice if they could incorporate some ranking (points) system and that might increase the popularity.

Mike – I think the WTC is doing its job marketing the series, I guess as others mentioned it will take a bit of time to get established.

Shane – I also agree with you. As a reference Timberman had 100 slots last year and for 2008 is down to 50 slots.

Oceanannie – I think interest would also increase if other prime races such as Timberman, etc could get ironmanlive coverage.

I guess asked the question to found it if some of the apathy or indifference was due to the distance itself or more about the fact that the series is new and it is still in the developing process. As I said above I think the 70.3 series will become the most popular distance in the sport just for the fact that it is long enough to be a good challenge but short enough that people don’t have to make it their entire focus for training (like IM), you can race more often, there are some nice locations to travel, it can be more TV friendly and it is a bit more manageable for the average AGer. But we'll see in the next few years

2007-11-06 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
I think the 70.3 races are growing in popularity as the IM races get even harder to get into. I wonder if folks will do a 70.3 race & a iron-distance (rather than an IM) because they want the WTC/NAS race but can't afford to go spectate every year in order to sign up for the following year!
On another note, now that there is a 70.3 world champ race I wish they would take the Kona qualifying slots away from the 70.3 races and put them at IM races only. I personally would take either Kona or Clearwater, (and will follow both!) but I think each series has it's championship race, why not make the other races in that series the qualifiers!
Just my 2 cents!
2007-11-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1039817

Champion
No excuses!

katimomma - 2007-11-06 9:40 AM  On another note, now that there is a 70.3 world champ race I wish they would take the Kona qualifying slots away from the 70.3 races and put them at IM races only. I personally would take either Kona or Clearwater, (and will follow both!) but I think each series has it's championship race, why not make the other races in that series the qualifiers! Just my 2 cents!

Completely agree with you there. I think we had this debate a few weeks ago but why not make IM=IM and 70.3 equal 70.3

2007-11-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1039757

Champion
No excuses!
amiine - 2007-11-06 9:05 AM

I guess asked the question to found it if some of the apathy or indifference was due to the distance itself or more about the fact that the series is new and it is still in the developing process. As I said above I think the 70.3 series will become the most popular distance in the sport just for the fact that it is long enough to be a good challenge but short enough that people don’t have to make it their entire focus for training (like IM), you can race more often, there are some nice locations to travel, it can be more TV friendly and it is a bit more manageable for the average AGer. But we'll see in the next few years

Look at running, 13.1 is probaly one the most popular distances out there these days. Short enough for those looking for a good challenge that could never dream of running a marathon but also for those who do marathons can race a half multiple times a year and recover.

But that being said, there is little to no coverage of halfs out there. Not that running gets much coverage anyway but when it does it is Boston, NY, Chicago or maybe Disney

2007-11-06 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

The 70.3 series and Half distance as a whole has a very strong interest from a paticipation standpoint. There is no question that the fastest growing race distance is 70.3. Just look at the New England area race scene over the last 3 years. It went from basically T-man and M-man to a full schedule of HIM all season. I'll go out on a limb to predict that th 70.3 distance will be the distance of choice for seasoned triathletes in the future because it's long enough that it requires training but short enough not to blow a whole season/career/family on racing year after year.

From a spectator level the series will never compete with a full iron. Watching endurance sports on it's own is boring to everyone expect hardcore endurance geeks. To make it interesting you need drama and to have lots drama you need sacrifice and lots of blood, sweat and tears. There aren't many things in sports that requires more sacrifice over the course of one year in an age groupers life than that once in a lifetime ironman. Yes compting in halfs does have a lot of sacrifice for athletes and families as well.....but it certainly isn't on the same perceived level.

BTW, Jorge are we meeting up down there? is anything organized?

2007-11-06 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1039920

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Jackemy - 2007-11-06 9:28 AM 

BTW, Jorge are we meeting up down there? is anything organized?

I know Dan and Alaina are up for meeting but nothing planned yet. I'll PM you my cell and where I am staying and maybe we can ride/swim/run tomorrow pm or thur am and plan some dinner for thur pm.

2007-11-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1039920

Champion
No excuses!
Jackemy - 2007-11-06 10:28 AM

The 70.3 series and Half distance as a whole has a very strong interest from a paticipation standpoint. There is no question that the fastest growing race distance is 70.3. Just look at the New England area race scene over the last 3 years. It went from basically T-man and M-man to a full schedule of HIM all season. I'll go out on a limb to predict that th 70.3 distance will be the distance of choice for seasoned triathletes in the future because it's long enough that it requires training but short enough not to blow a whole season/career/family on racing year after year.

From a spectator level the series will never compete with a full iron. Watching endurance sports on it's own is boring to everyone expect hardcore endurance geeks. To make it interesting you need drama and to have lots drama you need sacrifice and lots of blood, sweat and tears. There aren't many things in sports that requires more sacrifice over the course of one year in an age groupers life than that once in a lifetime ironman. Yes compting in halfs does have a lot of sacrifice for athletes and families as well.....but it certainly isn't on the same perceived level.

Well put thread over!

2007-11-06 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Personally, I think the whole 70.3 thing is kind of contrived. It's just WTC's effort to brand and make exclusive the 1/2 IM distance similar to what they have done with the IM distance. The reason they went with "70.3" is because they couldn't trademake "half ironman". That kind of thing really turns me off. I also don't like how Triathlete Magazine has sold out to the whole 70.3 series and rarely mentions other 1/2 IM races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why so little love for the 70.3 Championship? Rss Feed  

of 2