Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Looking for car buying advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-07 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Subject: Looking for car buying advice
I am looking at buying my first new car as my career finally seems to be stabilizing. I've been looking at inventories online, and have gone to test drive a few cars, and really like the 2008 nissan altimas. I have gotten an online quote from a local dealer that is just below the invoice price listed on Edmunds.com. The quote states $XX,XXX plus all applicable taxes, tags and fees. I am also looking to take advantage of the current Nissan interest rate of 2.9% for 60mo.

If I show up at the dealer Friday to try and possibly buy the car, given the above info, what should I expect? Is it normal for online quotes to be so close to what you would actually negotiate in person? or should I expect the works when I go and find out that those "fees" after tax and title amount to a few extra grand added on. Basically I am willing to pay the price I have been quoted plus and legally required costs (tax, registration). Will I be able to get them to come down from the quote, should I expect to pay only the quoted price, or should expect the haggling headache that so many people describe when buying a car.

2007-11-07 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1041866

Pro
Subject: RE: Looking for car buying advice
People hate to haggle, but if you know what you're willing to pay, go in there and try to beat them down to the lowest point below your price but refuse to pay more than what you saw on the internet.

If the sales guy slumps in his chair and silently weeps as you leave, you know you've done a good job.
2007-11-07 10:25 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
I always station my wife outside the dealership.  I go in, sit down with the guy, and when he throws out a number, I say, "OK, tell you what.  I need to go talk to my manager about this."  Get up, go outside, chat with the wife about whatever.  After about 20 minutes come back in, tell him that your manager couldn't do it.  Produce lower number.  Repeat as needed.
2007-11-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1041937

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

newleaf - 2007-11-07 10:25 AM I always station my wife outside the dealership.  I go in, sit down with the guy, and when he throws out a number, I say, "OK, tell you what.  I need to go talk to my manager about this."  Get up, go outside, chat with the wife about whatever.  After about 20 minutes come back in, tell him that your manager couldn't do it.  Produce lower number.  Repeat as needed.

LOL my husband just did this exactly last week.  Be prepared to walk away... you might want to wait till end of month also when they need to make sale quotas and are more flexible in negioatating (sp) to YOUR price... always ask for 0% financing - you might not get it but can't hurt to ask for it...

2007-11-07 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

First off, were do you live?  In my experience, different parts of the country handle haggling differently.

The walk-out move is almost a must.  There are really 2 tricks to negotiating a good car purchase:

(1) Know you price beforehand; and

(2) Don't be emotionally attached to the purchase.

If you are worried about your "online" quote, simply require them to tell you ALL the costs associated with the vehicle.  Tell them to send you these numbers prior to your visist.

Also, you may be able to handle the financing before showing up if the special finance rate is through the carmakers finance bank.

These days, you can do everything over the phone / internet.  When we bought my wife's car, we visited the dealership to test drive the vehicle.  Beyond that, they had a runner show up with my wife's new car, the paperwork tabbed for me to sign and the runner left with my wife's old car that was a trade-in.

---------

A good friend of mine worked at a Lexus dealership for many years and then moved to Atlanta and opened up his own dealership.  He tells me that there is rarely a negotiation tactic a customer uses that they haven't seen - so don't go into it thinking you're going to out trick them.  The upper hand you have is that they are selling a product that everyone else is selling - a vehicle.  Don't act like THEY have the upper hand, e.g. they have your car and you NEED it from them - but rather keep the 2 rules in mind.

If you have a number you are comfortable paying, then it is a win situation for you.  And absent that number, you shouldn't be attached to the purchase and can move on to something else, e.g. the next dealership.

Also, I have no idea if it still available, but there was a fee-based service you could use.  For something like $100, this company will call the 3 closest dealership, find and negotate the best price for a car meeting your specs.  I remember hearing about it, but do not remember the name.

2007-11-07 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Be careful with the numbers Edmunds gives you these days. Five years ago they seemed to have no affiliation or sponsorship with the automakers. Now they do and can link you directly to a local dealer. Like the previous poster said, when they start the "let me ask the manager" routine, be ready.During my last car purchase I told the guy to bring the manager in to sit down with us. He said it was not possible, so I followed him and walked in and sat in front of the manager. He let me walk the first visit and finally agreed to my price on the next visit. I went to all the other dealers in town and none of them were willing to match the price I had negotiated. I probably still got hosed, but at least I walked away feeling like I hadn't!!

Negotitate the price of the vehicle before discussing trade in or financing. When they ask you these questions blow them off. Don't do a trade in if you can avoid it and have your financing before you show up on the lot.  

Edited by mdg2003 2007-11-07 11:11 AM

2007-11-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1041983

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
condorman - 2007-11-07 11:51 AM

These days, you can do everything over the phone / internet. When we bought my wife's car, we visited the dealership to test drive the vehicle. Beyond that, they had a runner show up with my wife's new car, the paperwork tabbed for me to sign and the runner left with my wife's old car that was a trade-in.

This is really what I am hoping, but I realized that they realize that that is what I am hoping too.
2007-11-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1042022

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
nhmorgan - 2007-11-07 12:10 PM
condorman - 2007-11-07 11:51 AM

These days, you can do everything over the phone / internet. When we bought my wife's car, we visited the dealership to test drive the vehicle. Beyond that, they had a runner show up with my wife's new car, the paperwork tabbed for me to sign and the runner left with my wife's old car that was a trade-in.

This is really what I am hoping, but I realized that they realize that that is what I am hoping too.

Just to clarify, when I test drove the vehicle, we negotiated the price right there and then finalized everything via phone after I "walked out."

Here's a little trick - bring your child with you and make sure they are cranky as heck.  When we bought my wife's car, we had one wild 3 year old jumping all over the most expensive cars in the showroom.  Nothing like a 3 year old jumping on the leather seats in a $120K convertible in the showroom to motivate the salesman to spend a little less time "visiting the manager."

2007-11-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1042005

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
mdg2003 - 2007-11-07 12:01 PM

Negotitate the price of the vehicle before discussing trade in or financing. When they ask you these questions blow them off. Don't do a trade in if you can avoid it and have your financing before you show up on the lot.  

x2

And even though you mentioned the prospect of their financing special, I would recommend that you have financing available before you enter the dealership.  This way, you are not beholden to their "price" to get their "financing."  Instead, simply tell them that you have financing in place and want to finalize a number first.

Once you have the number you are happy with, casually ask them in a aww shucks, by the way, what is the financing thing you guys have?

If you try that with a trade-in, they lowball your trade-in offer, but with financing where the terms are already defined - they'll be hard pressed to "recoup" of off that.

2007-11-07 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
I do like the idea of bringing my cranky 10month old and my cranky pregnant wife with me I replied to the "internet sales manager"'s email asking what the total cost of the car is after all charges are applied (i.e. what I would sign the financing paperwork for based on that "internet special quote") I will see where that gets me. He does know that I have already talked to other dealers about this car, and that it is a financing rate through nissan not through any specific dealer, so that is working to my advantage. And to be honest, I am ready to go back to the original dealer where I test drove the car if this deal doesn't shake out.
2007-11-07 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I used the 'Prices Paid and Dealer Experience' forum at Edmunds to help with my last new car purchase:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef17997/

Depending on which car you're looking for, the forum tells you exactly what other people were able to negotiate for the same make/model. The approach I took was to get an approximate lowest price other people were seeing on the car from the forum followed by an email expressing interest in buying the car in question to the internet sales manager at dealerships in the area (Internet sales managers seem to work on a higher volume/lower margin principle. .).

By casting a fairly wide net - I was willing to travel a bit - I found a dealer selling the car I wanted for about a grand cheaper than the next best offer. Everything was negotiated before I showed up to sign paperwork. And yes, the price I negotiated beforehand was honored to the nickel. The main thing was knowing what the approximate baseline price should be before contacting the dealerships and that's what the forum linked above was good for.

Hope this helps.

c

2007-11-07 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
nhmorgan - 2007-11-07 10:56 AM

I am looking at buying my first new car as my career finally seems to be stabilizing. I've been looking at inventories online, and have gone to test drive a few cars, and really like the 2008 nissan altimas. I have gotten an online quote from a local dealer that is just below the invoice price listed on Edmunds.com. The quote states $XX,XXX plus all applicable taxes, tags and fees. I am also looking to take advantage of the current Nissan interest rate of 2.9% for 60mo.

If I show up at the dealer Friday to try and possibly buy the car, given the above info, what should I expect? Is it normal for online quotes to be so close to what you would actually negotiate in person? or should I expect the works when I go and find out that those "fees" after tax and title amount to a few extra grand added on. Basically I am willing to pay the price I have been quoted plus and legally required costs (tax, registration). Will I be able to get them to come down from the quote, should I expect to pay only the quoted price, or should expect the haggling headache that so many people describe when buying a car.

I take this to mean that you found a specific car in dealer inventory which is equipped the way you want it. You want to buy this exact car, right? Not just an Altima.

IME: Break it into a compartmentalized transaction. Explain your process clearly; they're SALESMEN by training and don't like this. It works to your advantage.

1.) Email and exaplin you want a quote on stock number 12345. This is the only car you want to buy, not just an Altima. Get a good quote to buy that. Don't let them offer used, pre-certified, "we have a great selection", a Maxima, nothing. You'll have to volley emails. Do the "E-walk out" if they won't quote this exact car's price. You know from edmunds and kbb.com what is typical invoice, typically paid in your area. Don't get overly greedy, but this cuts the other crap I mention above.

2.) Trade (if any). Know the value of your trade. Give him the same; some profit (they are in business to make money), but don't get screwed. Maybe shoot for between KBB trade in value and private sale. Seems fair to me and they'll make something on resale.

3.) Finance. Bring your own or make them beat your own. They get rewarded for brining loans in.

I've been happiest with this style of negotiating. Maybe I could have paid $500 les once or twice, but at least it wasn't adversarial or unpleasant. Just fact based.

Altima is a great car. We just bought a G35X and love it.

User image

Champion

Edited by pitt83 2007-11-07 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
nhmorgan - 2007-11-07 10:56 AM

I take this to mean that you found a specific car in dealer inventory which is equipped the way you want it. You want to buy this exact car, right? Not just an Altima.

IME: Break it into a compartmentalized transaction. Explain your process clearly; they're SALESMEN by training and don't like this. It works to your advantage.

1.) Email and exaplin you want a quote on stock number 12345. This is the only car you want to buy, not just an Altima. Get a good quote to buy that. Don't let them offer used, pre-certified, "we have a great selection", a Maxima, nothing. You'll have to volley emails. Do the "E-walk out" if they won't quote this exact car's price. You know from edmunds and kbb.com what is typical invoice, typically paid in your area. Don't get overly greedy, but this cuts the other crap I mention above.

2.) Trade (if any). Know the value of your trade. Give him the same; some profit (they are in business to make money), but don't get screwed. Maybe shoot for between KBB trade in value and private sale. Seems fair to me and they'll make something on resale.

3.) Finance. Bring your own or make them beat your own. They get rewarded for brining loans in.

I've been happiest with this style of negotiating. Maybe I could have paid $500 les once or twice, but at least it wasn't adversarial or unpleasant. Just fact based.

Altima is a great car. We just bought a G35X and love it.
2007-11-07 1:04 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

I split the destination charge with the dealer when we got our car.  Have relatives who own a dealership out west and found out it's about $800-$1,200 and not the (normal) $400 per vehicle that is posted on the sticker.  Mentioned that to the sales person and said I'd split it.  They suck up half to get it to their lot and I'd pay the other half in taking off their lot.  They went for it. 

Try it.  It's not a lot of money yet it is YOUR money.

2007-11-07 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
A great money saver is also the bargin used car. I don't mean the beater to get you through another year, I mean finding a used car that is basically new. In June I found a 2005 Tacoma with barely 12000 miles on it. In most cases it is mistaken for new and the whole "used" thing drops the price nicely.

2007-11-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1042265

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
tupuppy - 2007-11-07 1:04 PM

I split the destination charge with the dealer when we got our car. Have relatives who own a dealership out west and found out it's about $800-$1,200 and not the (normal) $400 per vehicle that is posted on the sticker. Mentioned that to the sales person and said I'd split it. They suck up half to get it to their lot and I'd pay the other half in taking off their lot. They went for it.

Try it. It's not a lot of money yet it is YOUR money.

Good info. Tanks, pup! 

2007-11-07 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Always make the dealers compete.  You can do the same inventory search they do online and figure out how many makem/model/color cars there are within a reasonable distance.

I prefer the hardline negotiation.  Demand they give you a written quote, including all taxes and fees, that they will honor for a specified period of time.  Tell them you aren't coming back if they say "that's as low as we can possibly go" and then another dealer quotes you better.

Get the lowest quote and convince that dealer you want to buy from him.  "I really appreciate the way you've treated me, and I'd like to buy from you but in the end I have to make the most financially responsible decision" kind of thing.

Call the other dealers (higher prices) and tell them they need to beat your low quote (the first time you tell them a number).  They will beat it or say they can't... either way your eliminating canidates.  Go back to the original low bidder and tell them you're starting to feel jerked around because another dealer just came in X-amount lower than his supposed lowest possible price... and you know they paid the same invoice.

Eventually you'll have a similar low quote from everyone.  Now it's time to start negotiating fees.  You should not pay a processing fee.  That's BS.  You're buying a car from them and on top of that they want $250 bucks to fill out some paperwork.  No way!

Walk away if you think someone's jerking you around... you've got several quotes that are close at this point and a few other dealers that will gladly drop a fee or two to steal your business back.

Dealers won't want to give you quotes that are good for longer than "right now."  Tough luck.  Tell em you're buying a car in the next week from somebody, and they've got to play by your rules.

I generally don't think I've gone far enough until someone gets visibly angry at me.  There are a lot of built in profit margins... factory kickbacks and the like so that even a car sold well under invoice still makes a dealer some money.  Go for the throat and never believe the "I'm already losing money on this deal" crap.  They wouldn't be selling it to you if that was 100% true!

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-11-07 3:12 PM
2007-11-07 8:29 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
When we bought our car we paid cash for it. Took the financing headache right out of the picture.

I went to the dealership alone and was looking at/test driving cars, but we were down to one car so I had to leave and go pick my wife up. I don't think the guy thought I was coming back because when I asked him to make me a deal on our car he said "My manager said since you came back we can go $X." I think we'd probably be surprised how grateful and willing to work these salespeople are when we as consumers return to make a deal with them.

A final thing I noticed was that the manager of most of the dealerships I've been to must be Phillip Morris, because those sales guys frequently come back into the office smelling like cigarettes.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Looking for car buying advice Rss Feed