General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-12-05 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK)
Good article in Inside Tri.

http://www.insidetriathlon.com/portal/news/news.asp?item=111484

You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK)
This report filed - December 5, 2007
By Jeff Henderson

It is the age of entitlement. It is the age of going to work in your bathrobe, Hawaii for the weekend, carbon bikes for everyone. It is a gilded age, a hedonistic age, an age free of the Puritan quibbles of our parents and, really, anything at all. Want to blow your retirement on Christmas? Go for it! Want to day-trade with your kid's inheritance? By all means! And if you're itching to jump straight into one of the world's most grueling athletic contests on a whim and a New Year's resolution, who are we to stand in your way?

In 1978, 15 of the world's roughest, toughest hombres made the start in the world's first iron-distance race. In 2007, around 30,000 of this planet's citizens, some of them decidedly less rough and tough, started an iron-distance race. That first Iron Man Triathlon was generally regarded as the worst of the worst-the longest swim, the longest bike, the longest run, with no stopping. Today's iron-distance race is still impossible to contemplate, but by fewer and fewer people.

Bets laid down by military men in smoke-filled bars do not generally work well as trends of mass consumption. It is not likely that Navy Commander John Collins meant for his wager to be within arm's reach of tens of thousands of people per year.

I believe that not everyone is meant to be an ironman. Further, not everyone is meant to be half an ironman.

For more, click the link: http://www.insidetriathlon.com/portal/news/news.asp?item=111484

2007-12-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1085185

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK)

If you follow the link and read the rest of the article it does not come off as elitist as the introduction sounds. 

If I read it right, all he is saying is that while there are no qualification to enter a race, there certainly are qualifications necessary to make the cut-off time ... it is called training.

I saw one guy miss the cut-off time at IMFL by 3 minutes.  I also saw on the NBC Kona coverage last weekend an official tell an unidentified lady that she missed bike cut-off by 38 seconds and another official console Sister Madonna Buder for missing it in less than 2 minutes.

If order to ride this ride you must be (insert height requirement here) <= this tall.  In order to complete this race, you must finish within (insert cut off times here) <= this amount of time.

Eat your vegetables ... and train accordingly.

2007-12-05 5:25 PM

User image

Master

Just read that on ST.  Great article. 

However, there are tons of folks that did "it" (whatever it is - in this case Ironman) when the "experts" said they shouldn't/couldn't.  I personally would rather see someone try to aim high and attempt to accomplish something slightly out of their reach than do nothing at all.

2007-12-05 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1085195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
brian - 2007-12-05 5:24 PM

If you follow the link and read the rest of the article it does not come off as elitist as the introduction sounds. 

Yep. I'll admit, I did selective quotation try to get more people to click the link and find out what this "elitist jerk" was thinking!

Agreed it's a reasonable and well-articulated opinion.
2007-12-05 6:52 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I think it's a good article.  People should consider how much of an undertaking a HIM or an IM really is.  It's not something you can go into lightly and there's nothing wrong with taking a few years at shorter distances before undertaking the longer ones.  That's not to say people shouldn't try the longer ones, but there has to be an understanding of how much time is needed to train.
2007-12-05 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Well I'm new to the sport and 2008 will be my first season. I won't attempt a HIM until 2009 and I have 2010 as my IM goal. I was turned on to the sport after getting to know one of the partners at an accounting firm that I interned at over the summer. Every time we went to lunch or were in a social environment I talked to him about his training for IMAZ 2007 and about the race. I was really impressed by the 4 am training sessions and the 80 mile bike rides on the weekend and the type of dedication that it takes to compete at a high level. I started to follow the sport and learn more about it. I watched Kona live this year and I've seen the NBC broadcast twice. I'm impressed with what it takes to finish an IM and if I cry and get chills watching people finish an IM I can't believe what it feels like to cross that line. I WANT IT!!!

I consider an IM to be the ultimate test of human strength and endurance both mental and physical. I want to see if I'll be able to go 140.6, I want to see what I'm made of physically and mentally. I look forward to the challenges of preparing for such an undertaking. When I tell people that I'm training for an IM I want people to ask what's wrong with me. As my signature says, "average people do average thing". I know that's big talk for a guy that hasn't even done a sprint distance yet but I've enjoyed the training that I've done so far and I'm excited to put forth the effort to get better (damn unforseen surgury will set be back a bit but I'll be stronger for it).

Why do something and not try to be the best at it? What glory is there in being 1/4 an Ironman or even a 1/2 Ironman? Personally if I set my mind to do something I'm going to let it consume me. It's gonna be part of my everyday life and I'm gonna bust my a$$ to achieve it.

When I make it it's gonna be awesome, if I don't I'll die tri'ing.

2007-12-05 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I think one of the better paragraphs in the article is below:

"I am the race director of a half-iron-distance race. I have every reason in the world to encourage you to Go Big, to enter my race early and often and for many years into the future, and to be joined by your spouse, your kids, your neighbors and a few poker buddies from Thursday night. My paycheck doesn't depend on you getting to the finish line.

But I don't want you to do it if you're not ready for it."

While I can understand where he is coming from, I'm not sure I'm in totally line with it. Part and the challenge and one of the biggests rewards of finishing my first Ironman and half Ironman was journeying into uncharted territory and finding out if I had what it takes to complete the journey. I don't know how you can ever tell if you're ready for your first HIM or IM?

But I do whole heartedly agree you should have some basis for believing you are ready whether that is based on doing shorter tri and ramping up the distance as I did, by completing the indivdual disipline distances in training (or at least close to it), or based on your previous athletic background. But given the finishing rates I saw at my two IMs (87% and 94%), I would say most people who put up the big bucks are ready.

But there always will be those who aren't and they will usually blame the race director instead of themselves.

Edited by southwestmba 2007-12-05 7:26 PM
2007-12-05 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1085267

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Artemis - 2007-12-05 4:52 PM

I think it's a good article.  People should consider how much of an undertaking a HIM or an IM really is.  It's not something you can go into lightly and there's nothing wrong with taking a few years at shorter distances before undertaking the longer ones.  That's not to say people shouldn't try the longer ones, but there has to be an understanding of how much time is needed to train.

x2

"You Gotta Respect the Distance!"

Too many people don't. And that's what the article talks about...

2007-12-05 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1085293

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
southwestmba - 2007-12-05 5:25 PM

I don't know how you can ever tell if you're ready for your first HIM or IM?

I can. You're toeing the line at HIM or IM, and you've never completed ANY of the distances as standalone events?

You're probably not ready.

We can make up any rules-of-thumb we'd like, and we can debate if they're reasonable and tell each other anecdotes of people who've succeeded with less training and people who've DNFed with more training.

Bottom line: you gotta respect the distance. And, as Harry says, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Luckily, the HIMs and IMs are just scary enough that most people have the sense to back out before they put themselves into actual danger. I wonder what the "did not start" number is for an average HIM or IM?

Edited by brucemorgan 2007-12-05 7:37 PM
2007-12-05 7:47 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

First tri,  1997- a sprint. A major undertaking.

First attempt at an Ironman, 7/20/08.

Either I'm a slow learner or smarter than I give myself credit for.

Edited by rollinbones 2007-12-05 7:48 PM
2007-12-05 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I have been saying this for years!!!! Thank you for putting it in print. We get web submissions almost weekly (and curiously right after NBC airs Kona) from people who have never done a triathlon that want to do an Ironman. It absolutely amazes me that these people have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

2007-12-05 9:13 PM

User image

Westminster, CO

I like what Mirg had to say.

My experience:  I too thought that nirvana would come when crossing that finish line.  It sure felt good when I broke the tape but felt even better a few seconds later as I was making my way out of the finishing chute and reflecting what I accomplished to get to the START line. It takes dedication and tenacity to properly train for an IM and I don’t know if I get a greater sense of accomplishment from the daily training or the race itself.

My point is – those that toe the line at an IM very ill-prepared are missing out on half the experience, at least

2007-12-05 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Completely agree with Greyhound. Getting to the start line of a long distance race is an accomplishment all on its own and one that I am prouder of than the actual finish.

I too am dismayed by the # of newbies that I hear talk about they must complete an IM and until they do they won't be real triathletes.

Yikes! Swim, bike, run. You're a triathlete. Period. I was a late finisher that 5 years ago would never have been able to make the cut-offs but I did shorter distances, learned about the sport and then made the training for IM an experience all it's own and had an amazing race experience.

IM isn't going anywhere people and it's not the end all be all. Believe me I used to think that but it's not. It can be a very fun and challenging experience but it's the people and things you learn about yourself in the process in my opinion that make it Awesome!
2007-12-06 12:44 AM
in reply to: #1085703

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
leopard8996 - 2007-12-05 9:19 PM

Completely agree with Greyhound. Getting to the start line of a long distance race is an accomplishment all on its own and one that I am prouder of than the actual finish.

I too am dismayed by the # of newbies that I hear talk about they must complete an IM and until they do they won't be real triathletes.

Yikes! Swim, bike, run. You're a triathlete. Period. I was a late finisher that 5 years ago would never have been able to make the cut-offs but I did shorter distances, learned about the sport and then made the training for IM an experience all it's own and had an amazing race experience.

IM isn't going anywhere people and it's not the end all be all. Believe me I used to think that but it's not. It can be a very fun and challenging experience but it's the people and things you learn about yourself in the process in my opinion that make it Awesome!

X2

I have yet to complete a race and am realistic enough to know that my first won't be a HIM, let alone an IM. While there will certainly be a rush of satisfaction when I cross the finish line for the first time, it's definitely also about the process. The joy is in the journey. A couple months ago when I started working out again, my kids kinda chuckled and thought "Dad's got another wild hair..." More recently they're looking over my shoulder and seeing me on BT, logging workouts, etc. and though they haven't ariticulated it yet, I can see the wheels turning in their heads thinking "maybe Dad's really gonna do this - this is COOL!!"

To all the other newbies out there, keep at it and we'll see each other at the finish line!

2007-12-06 2:35 AM
in reply to: #1085292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
Mirg - 2007-12-06 1:25 AM

Well I'm new to the sport and 2008 will be my first season. I won't attempt a HIM until 2009 and I have 2010 as my IM goal. I was turned on to the sport after getting to know one of the partners at an accounting firm that I interned at over the summer. Every time we went to lunch or were in a social environment I talked to him about his training for IMAZ 2007 and about the race. I was really impressed by the 4 am training sessions and the 80 mile bike rides on the weekend and the type of dedication that it takes to compete at a high level. I started to follow the sport and learn more about it. I watched Kona live this year and I've seen the NBC broadcast twice. I'm impressed with what it takes to finish an IM and if I cry and get chills watching people finish an IM I can't believe what it feels like to cross that line. I WANT IT!!!

I consider an IM to be the ultimate test of human strength and endurance both mental and physical. I want to see if I'll be able to go 140.6, I want to see what I'm made of physically and mentally. I look forward to the challenges of preparing for such an undertaking. When I tell people that I'm training for an IM I want people to ask what's wrong with me. As my signature says, "average people do average thing". I know that's big talk for a guy that hasn't even done a sprint distance yet but I've enjoyed the training that I've done so far and I'm excited to put forth the effort to get better (damn unforseen surgury will set be back a bit but I'll be stronger for it).

Why do something and not try to be the best at it? What glory is there in being 1/4 an Ironman or even a 1/2 Ironman? Personally if I set my mind to do something I'm going to let it consume me. It's gonna be part of my everyday life and I'm gonna bust my a$$ to achieve it.

When I make it it's gonna be awesome, if I don't I'll die tri'ing.

you've expressed my own experience so well. 2007 was my first season, and because I came from a background of training I was able to enter into the training and racing without any major problems. I completed up to half marathon running distance this season which has given me confidence that I can achieve a HIM in 2008 and my plan is to then complete an IM in 2009. I want to learn about the sports, train consistently and build a solid base of experience before tackling the big one!

2007-12-06 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

ok, I guess I am in the minority, but frankly I have no desire to do anything BUT sprint distance. Maybe someday Olympic distance but really cannot see going longer.  But I must be deluded because EVERYONE I meet says - oh you will at least do a HIM it's addictive.....

my athletic abilities are all in sprint (which to me is like 100 yards) so 5K is long enough to run thank you very much!!!

I figure if I swim, bike and run I am a triathlete. I will happily volunteer at longer races but SO not for me! 

2007-12-06 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1085866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
drchaya - 2007-12-06 12:56 PM

ok, I guess I am in the minority, but frankly I have no desire to do anything BUT sprint distance. Maybe someday Olympic distance but really cannot see going longer.  But I must be deluded because EVERYONE I meet says - oh you will at least do a HIM it's addictive.....

my athletic abilities are all in sprint (which to me is like 100 yards) so 5K is long enough to run thank you very much!!!

I figure if I swim, bike and run I am a triathlete. I will happily volunteer at longer races but SO not for me! 

I think its good that you've made a decision that is right for you and how you want to perform. Personally I want to do longer distance because I know I am not fast, I have endurance and can train for hours but I'm not very fast its just the way I am made.

I think you mentioned that you had a LT/VO2 max test done recently? I had the same thing done in October to find out where my strengths lie and it was interesting to see the results and the way my body handles lactate, it takes me a long time to go lactate but I can't hold it for long once I'm there. People who are good at sprint are generally the opposite - is that what your test showed?

I know a few triathletes whose speed is amazing so they focus on what they are good at which is the shorter distance.

Edited by jessicadawn 2007-12-06 7:28 AM
2007-12-06 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1085896

User image

Champion
New York, NY

my testing confirmed that much of my training and racing is anaerobic - so yeah I am above LT most of the time - funny my trainer was reading ideal VO2max or average ones for different sports and I fell right into the one for fencing (I was a varsity fencer in college....).

2007-12-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1085902

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
drchaya - 2007-12-06 9:32 AM

my testing confirmed that much of my training and racing is anaerobic - so yeah I am above LT most of the time - funny my trainer was reading ideal VO2max or average ones for different sports and I fell right into the one for fencing (I was a varsity fencer in college....).

Assuming that you are training and racing triathlon, you are most definitely not anaerobic. The anaerobic system is only good for efforts up to 2 minutes (although at this point the aerobic system is making a significant contribution); beyond that you are almost completely aerobic.

Shane
2007-12-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1085902

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Getting into the sport and starting at the shorter distances it ends up being a natural progression and before you know it you are wanting to test yourself at the longer distances.  This is how it SHOULD be ... start training smart and focus on the immediate goals of the sprint, then after a few muster up the courage to go for an Olympin/International.  After a few of those or some more time toss around the idea of a HIM, work hard and train for that for quite awhile, etc.

What the article addresses is the "check off the life accomplishment list" crowd who have watched NBC's coverage of Kona and have already planned how they can check off the "marathon" on their list (or recently did).  It is about those that think they are "entitled" to finsih the race because they entered it and paid their entry fee.  I call them the "one and dones."  They do not appreciate the sport nearly as much as the athlete who started small and worked their way up and are actually TRAINED well for the distance.

When I decided to get back into doing a tri again it was during my first real season of marathon training.  I knew I wanted to do an IM because my boss had done one and I wanted the challenge.  But I first signed up for a half, spent 6 months training my azz off for it and then didn't have my IM signed up for another 17 months after that.  In the meantime I ran 3 more marathons, did the same 1/2 again and sprinkled in some other tri races.  Respect the distance, or it will kick your azz ...... I learned that after my first half .....

2007-12-06 8:28 AM

User image

Buttercup

I'm never gonna be an astronaut either.

*sigh*

2007-12-06 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I'd much rather work up to breaking 2 hours on a Olympic then do an ironman.

When people find out how much I do.. the first two questions are You doing the Houston half? So you do that Ironman thing? :p

Doesn't really bother me!
2007-12-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1085987

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1085917

Champion
New York, NY
gsmacleod - 2007-12-06 7:46 AM
drchaya - 2007-12-06 9:32 AM

Assuming that you are training and racing triathlon, you are most definitely not anaerobic. The anaerobic system is only good for efforts up to 2 minutes (although at this point the aerobic system is making a significant contribution); beyond that you are almost completely aerobic. Shane

Whilst theoretically that is true, I have given the blood that proves it!!! when I did the 5k on thanksgiving my HR was high 170s low 180s and below are my numbers from LT analysis done on bike:

heart rate at LT/ Aerobic threshold = 149 power at the same threshold = 110 watts

Heart rate at OBLA/Anaerobic threshold = 168 power = 150 watts

Peak power during the max test was = 250 watts and heart rate was 191

raw LT data:

power Heart Rate Lactate VO2
50 131 1.4 22.5
75 140 1.6 23.5
100 147 1.9 25.5
135 162 3 30.8
170 176 5.7 39
205 182 7.8 43.4

my zones:

I. 126-134

II. 135-149

III. 150-155

IV. 156-167

V. 168-178

VI. 179-190+

Lactate then gets converted to glucose to use as fuel, so I must be doing tons of that....

Edited by drchaya 2007-12-06 8:40 AM
2007-12-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1085866

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
drchaya - 2007-12-06 6:56 AM

I will happily volunteer at longer races but SO not for me! 

FYI, that's what Michellie Jones said, but last year, she won the IM World Championship in Kona!

Personally, I prefer the shorter distance races, if for no other reason than the fact that neither racing them nor training for them requires the huge time commitment that IM requires. I can do a 1-2 hour ride, a 45-minute run, or a 1-hour swim each day and be well-prepared for a sprint race.

I still liked my IM experience, and I'll probably do another in a few years, but I can't see myself doing them every year. Just too much time commitment to be a regular thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) Rss Feed  

of 5