General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-12-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1097198

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-12-12 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1097473

2007-12-12 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1097194

2007-12-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1097336

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK)

doubleplay - 2007-12-12 9:58 AM
brucemorgan - 2007-12-12 12:18 AM
doubleplay - 2007-12-11 1:57 PM I strongly disagree. Key words here are the: Run: 7 hour marathon is not running Bike: 8 hour bike is cruising at 14 mph Swim: you got 2 hrs to finish...can you say breast stroke?? Do you think these are the times that can not be accomplished by any reasonably fit person with some structured training???? It is still a great accomplishment but nothing super human or very special. I have seen people finishing Ironman on mountain or city bikes with taking naps in between events. I respect every finisher but strongly disagree with people who becomes part of the money making machine of Ironman and make a drama out of it. Including the TV broadcast.

I am not sure if you have ever done a IM or not... But as a person who has done one and even though the world didnt change for me; all it should me was the person I already had inside.

But make no mistake for some out there it is a super human accomplishment and FOR ME it was very special and as fit as I was (2nd best in my life since I was 16) it was still a very hard thing to do; it sure was not a cake walk.

2007-12-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1086295

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
1stTimeTri - 2007-12-06 11:37 AM

Artemis - 2007-12-05 6:52 PM I think it's a good article. People should consider how much of an undertaking a HIM or an IM really is. It's not something you can go into lightly and there's nothing wrong with taking a few years at shorter distances before undertaking the longer ones. That's not to say people shouldn't try the longer ones, but there has to be an understanding of how much time is needed to train.

I did understanding the undertaking.
I did not go into it lightly.|
I don't have the amount of time it takes, especially with a wife who could care less.
I put in as much time as I could so as to balance everything and not be hated by my family.
I trained less than by MANY people's standards, and yet, I became an IRONMAN (in a pretty decent (by some people's standards) time.

I will do "it" again and will be better prepared.

I think you are agreeing with what I said.  You did think about it and went for it and gave it as much as you could in terms of training. Clearly that was enough for you.  But, you did have a sense of what it was going to take going in to training.  I think everyone has had the experience of want to train more than what they did (I sure have).

I've talked to people that think they could do an IM not knowing how long the race is or what they'll eat or how much they'll need to train.  Those are the people I'm more concerned about. It's almost like people decide on a whim without knowing how much the race entails. 

I'm certainly not making any judgments about "deserving" - all you have to do is sign up and pay your money.  I think it's more a concern for the people themselves during the race.   

2007-12-12 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1095875

Master
Reston, VA
doubleplay - 2007-12-11 4:57 PM

Not to put down anybody who is attempting or finished an Ironman distance but with all due respect finishing an Ironman with the current time cut-off of 17 hours is not a very big accomplishment for a reasonably fit person. .

I disagree with you. As an example - I work in an office of around 100 people. 2 of which are ultra runners, a few more have finished sprint triathlons, and around 30-40% more are reasonable fit (play sports a few times a week). I don't think a single person in my office could finish a 2.4 mile swim, much less a 112 mile bike and I would guesstimate that I have 40 reasonably fit people in my office and I know that they would consider it a big accomplishment to finish an ironman.

2007-12-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1085185

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Ok I respect every posters comment about what I said. As for the my old mother can not do it part...well let's say she would not fit in the definition of reasonably fit and leave it at that.
However some people are taking what I wrote out of context. Please read carefully before you comment:
"can not be accomplished by any reasonably fit person with some structured training????"
key words are REASONABLY FIT and STRUCTURED TRAINING.

Good Luck to everyone training for one.
2007-12-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1097413

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
JohnnyKay - 2007-12-12 11:30 AM

doubleplay -

"finishing an Ironman with the current time cut-off of 17 hours is not a very big accomplishment for a reasonably fit person"

"It is still a great accomplishment"

Make up your mind.

"great accomplishment" is not a "very big accomplishment"
To make it easier for you to understand:

To finish Western States under the cut-off time is a great accomplishment but to finish it under 24 hours is a very big accomplishment.

2007-12-12 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1097922

Not a Coach
Media, PA

doubleplay - 2007-12-12 1:56 PM Ok I respect every posters comment about what I said. As for the my old mother can not do it part...well let's say she would not fit in the definition of reasonably fit and leave it at that. However some people are taking what I wrote out of context. Please read carefully before you comment: "can not be accomplished by any reasonably fit person with some structured training????" key words are REASONABLY FIT and STRUCTURED TRAINING. Good Luck to everyone training for one.

No you're correct in saying pretty much any reasonably fit person with structured training can accomplish it.  (I might add with the ability to train consistently.)  But that doesn't mean that it isn't still a 'great' accomplishment.  Or a 'very big' one if you'd rather.

BTW, making up personal definitions of words makes it tough for other people to understand what you're saying.  The first synonym for 'great' in American Heritage is 'very large in size'.

2007-12-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1097939

2007-12-12 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1097922

Master
Reston, VA
doubleplay - 2007-12-12 2:56 PM

Ok I respect every posters comment about what I said. As for the my old mother can not do it part...well let's say she would not fit in the definition of reasonably fit and leave it at that.
However some people are taking what I wrote out of context. Please read carefully before you comment:
"can not be accomplished by any reasonably fit person with some structured training????"

The STRUCTURED TRAINING qualification was not expressed until a later post. I was quoting your earlier post. Agree with you - a reasonably fit person with structured training would likely be able to finish in under 17 hours.

2007-12-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1085185

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I started with a sprint last may and have done 4 Olympic distance tris after that in 2007. I'm not attracted to the Ironman at all. It doesn't appeal to me even after all I've read and stuff. I'm just happy competing in Olympic distance tris and trying to improve race after race and become a little faster every year. Even the HIM don't appeal to me even though I've ran a marathon and 3 half marathons.

Some people just want to do one Ironman and then be done with triathlon but I see tris as a lifetime sport/hobby and don't want to burn out.
2007-12-13 2:03 AM
in reply to: #1097991

Master
Bellevue, WA
docswim24 - 2007-12-12 12:23 PM

doubleplay - 2007-12-12 2:56 PM

The STRUCTURED TRAINING qualification was not expressed until a later post. I was quoting your earlier post. Agree with you - a reasonably fit person with structured training would likely be able to finish in under 17 hours.

Doubleplay, your first post implied (but did not say) that *any* reasonably fit person could pretty much show up on Sunday morning and finish the IM in 17 hours. That's just laughable.

But yes, with structured training (implying consistency and effort) then any reasonably fit person can finish in 17 hours. You've just described 90% of the IM finishers in the world. They started out as reasonably fit people, they put in consistent effort into a structured training plan, and they finished it.

I tell people who express amazement at my finishing two IMs "You can do it too!" All you need to do is work at it for one to five years, depending on current fitness level. And your body needs to cooperate by not breaking down on you, and your mind has to cooperate by not weakening your resolve and courage. And you have to get back on the bike (literally) after setbacks and disappointments. And you have to sweat and bleed and freeze and bake and limp and stink and half drown and dodge cars and wash off milkshakes thrown on you by Good Ol Boys in pickups.

Easy. No great big accomplishment there.

Edited by brucemorgan 2007-12-13 2:19 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » You are NOT an Ironman (But That's OK) Rss Feed  

of 5