BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-12-07 5:21 PM

User image

Subject: Savannah5799----FULL
NAME: Savannah5799(I go by Savannah)

STORY: I was raised in South Carolina on a sailboat, so I spent a lot of time outside as a kid. As a result I love the outdoors and anything active. I am now 25 years old, currently living in Georgia. My other passions(other than triathlons) are my work, I own an advertising company, my family, and playing with my 1 year old lab.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to my wonderful husband who is also a triathlete. His mother is an inspiration to both of us, recently completing her first ironman at 50. My mother on the other hand is often confused by our need to run, swim, and bike for hours on end.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am have a coach writing my training plan and am putting in about 15 hours a week. I am focusing on improving ny run, as I feel it is my weak link. I consider myself somewhat technical, meaning I like to do things the right way, but having fun comes first.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did a few races. Parris Island sprint, Beach Bum sprint, and the Veterians Day sprint. It was a light year of racing for me since my husband was gone all summer and I was fighting with a bum knee!

2008 RACES: I plan to do my first 1/2 marathon in Febuary. My main triathlons this year are going to be Gulf Coast 1/2 and South Carolina 1/2. I plan to do several local sprints and international distance races as well, just haven't planned them out yet.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to tone down just a little bit before the season begins to be in my best race shape possible.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: When I first started triathlons, I had a wonderful mentor. Without her I would have been lost. I have only been racing for two years, so I am familiar with some of the challenges as a newbie. I intend to give my mentees everything my mentor gave me and help them in anyway possible.

Enough about me, lets hear about you......

Edited by savannah5799 2007-12-11 3:30 PM

2007-12-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1089527

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Savannah5799----open

Hi Savannah,

I'd like to join your group   I'm 26 years old and played volleyball in college.  I'm training for the Philadelphia Insurance Tri in June of 2008 and it will be my first one.  I'm  recently engaged and have a 5 year old border collie/lab mix and a super supportive fiance.  I ran my first 5K this year in May and realized I actually enjoy running!  A few months ago I decided to give triathlons a try.  As far as my goals.. I want to be in the pool at least 3 times a week and I'm looking to finish my first tri at in the middle of the pack in my age group.  My registered races include the Marine Corp 1/2 Marathon, Philadelphia Tri, Philadelphia Women's Tri and Columbia IronGirl.

Edited by vball03umd 2007-12-08 9:19 PM
2007-12-08 10:17 PM

User image

Modesto, California
I would like to be a part of this group if possible? My real name is Stuart and I'm married with a four year old daughter. I live in northern California and have two sprint races under my belt and have goals to compete in numerous races in 2008 eventually ending up at Iron Man Arizona 2010. My next race program starts in January so for the moment I am doing a casual and very random program focusing on swimming distance and form, and running form. I do feel that my form is gradually improving, however my times for all events are very slow. I hope to learn from this group and will be very supportive in any way that I can. Thanks!
2007-12-09 9:06 AM

User image

Eifel Region of Germany

Hi Savannah,

I'd like to join your group as well!  My name is Matt.  I'm in the Air Force in Germany married to a wonderful woman who is training to be a pilot (she's living in Phoenix for now).  I haven't completed a triathlon yet, but I am training for the Köln Sprint triathlon in September 2008.  Unfortunately, I have some work commitments that I think will keep me from racing any sooner in the upcoming year.

I decided to pursue triathlon because I found myself going to the gym with no real goal or anything to focus on.  I ran track and played soccer in college, but found myself gradually losing my fitness levels.  My wife also did triathlons in a former life, so I thought it would be something we can do together.

Like many people, I'm horrible at the swim.  I've improved a little over the last few months.  However, my biggest problem is that I just don't swim consistently.

Anyway, I'm looking forward  to progressing in my training and open to any suggestions you may have!

Matt

2007-12-09 11:04 AM

User image

Welcome to the group!

Vball03umd, congrats on the engagement. It's great that you have a fiance that is supportive of triathlons, because they can be rather time consuming. Sounds like you have a great first season planned, lots of racing! I noticed that you are in the MD area, my inlaws live in Annapolis. Since my mother inlaw is a triathlete, I know there is tons of great training and racing in that area. Its great that you are working on your swim, I think one of the best things you can do to prepare yourself for a first triathlon is to be comfortable in the water. How is the swimming going for you? Before I started racing I didn't technically know how to swim, so I joined the local masters group, it was a great experience for me. Not only did I get some great coaching on my technique, I also had a group of people motivating and pushing me at practices.

Nevergivin, I love the name. It's a good attitude to have in this sport! Ironman Arizona 2010 should be a great race, they are moving it to the fall, so you will have all summer to train and hopefully cooler weather than the April race they have been doing. This is a great time of year to take it easy and focus on form and building a base. I am guessing that last year was your first year in the sport. Speed will come with time and experience. What technique have you been using to work on your swimming form? What distance races are you planning for 2008?

Wittnam, thanks for doing what you do to ensure that I have a safe home and am able to enjoy so many of the privileges of being an American. Is your wife also in the Air Force? It's great to have this sport in common with your spouse, they make great training partners. It sounds like you have a great start in the sport by having a strong background in running. It's true the swim is a big concern for many people, just remember, time wise it is only about 10% of your race. I think the most important part of the swim is not how quick you are but having the confidence and being comfortable in the water. Is your race going to be an open water swim or a pool swim? Mass start or wave start? Time in the water is a big help. How do you feel about your form?

I am looking forward to hearing more from all of you, best of luck in all of your training,
Savannah

2007-12-09 11:08 AM

Northern Germany
Hi, I'd love to join this group as well, because I was born in Beaufort, S.C. (and many years later moved back through my high school years) and I now live in Germany. So I have a connection to two people here already. (I'm not with the military - I married a German guy!)

I'm 47, have been running for many years and this year did two marathons (PR 3:55:44) and thought triathons would be even more challenging, since I really couldn't swim very well. So I'm a decent runner, working my way up on the bike, and am a horrible swimmer.

I plan to do an Olympic distance tri in June, with one or two sprints before that. My highest ambition at this point is a HIM, since the swim distance is only 400 meters longer than the Olympic.

2007-12-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1090902

User image

Welcome, BooBoo-Runner!

I actually did a tri in Beaufort, S.C last year. My family lives in Hilton Head, so it was a good opportunity to see the family and get a race in. Do you ever come back to visit the area?

You will find your run base a big help in doing triathlons. They key to the bike and swim is like most things, practice.

Have you picked your first sprint yet? Do you plan to use a training plan to get ready for your first race?

Savannah
2007-12-09 8:43 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Wow! Way cool Savannah! Did not expect the group to get going right away so here goes. When is your fist 1/2 IM ? I am focusing on Olympic races in my 2nd year, first one being Wildflower in May which has a tough bike and run course (both are my limiters). I will be finishing the year off with a couple of metric centuries and half marathons. Currently I am working on my stroke with a couple of my masters coaches,(balance drills and  pull and catch drills, etc.). I swam in competitions when I was younger year round for about ten years but did not care too much for freestyle, now its a matter of getting back into a grove. I'm weak at freestyle and can swim breast and fly stroke almost as fast as free. I will probably compete this summer in masters swim competitions along with my triathlon races, my events are 50 &100 breast, 100&200 IM, and all relays. My training goals are to get my mile splits around 7 min miles (currently 8:50), and 23 mph steady on the bike(I'm right around 19 on flats).    

I did want to say Hi to the others!

Matt &  Janice I was fortunate to spend close to a year in Germany when I flew in and out during my Air Force enlistment, I hope to go back some day!

Congratulations Traci, what a huge year it will be for you! 

Edited by nevergivin 2007-12-09 8:45 PM
2007-12-09 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1090897

User image

Eifel Region of Germany

"Is your wife also in the Air Force? It's great to have this sport in common with your spouse, they make great training partners. It sounds like you have a great start in the sport by having a strong background in running. It's true the swim is a big concern for many people, just remember, time wise it is only about 10% of your race. I think the most important part of the swim is not how quick you are but having the confidence and being comfortable in the water. Is your race going to be an open water swim or a pool swim? Mass start or wave start? Time in the water is a big help. How do you feel about your form?"

Yup, my wife's in the Air Force too...training to be a fighter pilot. 

As far as my race is concerned, it looks like they'll be starting in two waves.  Its open water (out around a bouy and back).  I'm trying to get into the pool as much as I can, and looking for a good open water source around here once the weather warms up (Boo-boo, this weather's got me down!)  Right now, I don't feel like I get enough air when I roll over to breath, so that tires me out and I start to flail a little.  I'm thinking of checking into the Total Immersion stuff, but I think the bottom line is just time in the water!

On another note...Traci, CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement!!!

I hope all is well with everyone!

Matt

Edited by wittnam 2007-12-09 11:14 PM
2007-12-09 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1091344

Northern Germany
savannah5799 - 2007-12-10 1:10 AM

Welcome, BooBoo-Runner!

I actually did a tri in Beaufort, S.C last year. My family lives in Hilton Head, so it was a good opportunity to see the family and get a race in. Do you ever come back to visit the area?

You will find your run base a big help in doing triathlons. They key to the bike and swim is like most things, practice.

Have you picked your first sprint yet? Do you plan to use a training plan to get ready for your first race?

Savannah

I've been back to Beaufort a few times, as I still have a couple of old high school friends there - sure has changed a lot!

I haven't picked my first sprint yet. I joined a tri club a few months ago, and want to participate in some events where I'll have some "buddies" there as well - that's how I chose the Olympic event - that's the big club event of the year. They are really motivating - only 22 members and three have done the Hawaii Ironman, one twice!

I'm deciding on a training plan right now. I just have to figure out if I'm a runner who dabbles in triathlons, or a triathlete whose strong point is running. Most of the plans aren't heavy enough on running to suit me.

As for the weather here in Germany - let's just say that it really builds your character to get out in it every day to run or bike! The people in my little village think I'm nuts!
2007-12-10 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Hey there everyone and thanks so much for the engagement congrats!

Savannah,

My parents live in Annapolis too!!  Have you done the Nations Tri or Annapolis?  I am considering registering for one of those.  Swimming is coming along.. just putting the time in the pool seems to be helping.  Thanks for suggesting the masters group.  I know they have one at the gym I belong to and there're in the pool three days a week.  That would probably be good for me!

2007-12-10 12:09 PM

User image

GA
Savannah,

I am interested in joining your group. I am a tri newbie, training for my very first sprint tri in June 2008 at Callaway Gardens. I too, am a Georgia girl !!
2007-12-10 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Hey! If you still have room on your plate I would love to join the group!

This past summer I completed 2 sprints and fell in love with the sport... I think it appeals to my natural ADD tendencies because training focuses on several different areas  I would really appreciate the tips and support a group and mentor can bring!

Season's Greetings!
Comment Graphics at pYzam.com

Edited by jhanton 2007-12-10 9:02 PM
2007-12-10 11:56 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hi,
I just ran my first sprint Tri yesterday with like 720 + people (that's probably small compared to alot of them I don't know but it was interesting) and came in, um 131st or 17th of the 68 in my age group (that looks better). Some people looked like maybe this wasn' their first triathlon (lol). I am 40 years old, married, have 5 kids, started training pretty much off the couch about 3-4 months ago. I was very happy with my times all things considered (I'll Fill ya in once things are set.) Anyway I would love to join up if there is still room. I am still in sponge trying to take in all the bazillion facts, details, strategies etc.

Steve
2007-12-11 8:36 AM

User image

Danap, Jhanton, and Baowolf welcome to the group!

Danap, are you originally from Georgia? Callaway Gardens, should be a good first race, I haven't done it, but I have heard some good stuff about it. How did you become interested in tris?

Jhanton, I understand the ADD attraction to the sport. I get bored very fast and enjoy being focused on three sports instead of one, although it can be overwhelming at times. On top of the sports there is nutrition, training, tons of gear, ect to keep you interested. Always something new to play with. How did you become involved in tris? What races do you have planned for next year?

Baowolf, congrats on finishing your first race. That sounds like a pretty big sprint to me and a great finish. What got you into the sport? What future races do you have planned?

Vball03umd, small world! I have not done either of those races, but I am going to visit my mother in law next week and will see if I can get any info on them. The one thing I do know about the races up there is they generally fill up, so you want to plan your season early and get signed up as soon as possible. Let me know how the masters swimming goes, it really helped me.

I am going to keep the group open in case a couple more people want to join and then in a few days we can start talking about some topics that might be of interest to all of us. Let me know if you have an idea for a topic you would like to talk about, or any other questions. Until then train hard, train safe, and have fun!

---Savannah

2007-12-11 8:39 AM

User image

Steve,

How about a race report from your first race?

Savannah

2007-12-11 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Name: Jackie

Background:  I have always been an athlete, gym rat, and competed for many many years in the quarter horse show circuits. Last January, I was looking for something to spice up my gym routine and I thought a Triathlon would do just that!

I enjoy running, but short distances... so marathons/half mary's are out of the question and I'm not a fast runner so 5k's and 10k's weren't going to suffice. I tend to shy away from anything I cannot actually be "competitive" at. Tri's were a perfect challenge and fit to my abilities.

Family: My husband is an Assistant Principal at a middle school, so dinner time is always full of stories! At this time we do not have any children... but our Great Dane Zoe takes up enough room and care to suffice   I am a Trust Officer for Citizens First, so I work very closely with investments, trusts and estates.

This years races: I did a Sprint in June, the swim was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced... but I made it through. Then, I completed my second race in my home town in August.... this time the swim was very smooth.  Both times I was ok in the swim, top in the bike, and slow in the run.

2008 Races: I plan on at least two races, probably one in May and the Big Fish Tri in June again. For the end of the summer I am going to keep things open as family plans will come into play.

Routine: I will come out of my winter maintenance routine in February and pick up one of the training plans probably a 3x run/bike/swim. Right now I would love to be hitting the pool, but our new gym does not have one and the new Y (with a lap pool) will not be complete until March... so swimming will be a big push in the spring. But, I'm not to worried about it, because in my two races this summer I was one of the first 15 out of the water.

Edited by jhanton 2007-12-11 10:18 AM
2007-12-11 2:10 PM

New user

Mississippi
Hello Savannah,
If you have room for 1 more, I'd like to get on board.
Mike

42 years old (in a few weeks), have run a few 5ks in the past. Also gained 60 pounds over the past 3 or so years that contributes to my blood pressure being high, etc.

My goals are to increase my fitness and decrease my weight. I have no real plan for biking or swimming, but I am working on the Couch to 5k program for running. I plan to do a 5k in early Feb. 08 and then increase my mileage to run a Half marathon. As for Tri's, I plan to complete in local sprint distances in April and May 08.

Thanks, and I look forward to training with you all!

Edited by wldeydsthrnboy 2007-12-11 3:02 PM
2007-12-11 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Oh, me too! If you aren't full yet.
2007-12-11 2:28 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Savannah, I have a few topics that come to my mind for discussion:

Training topics-What is a good routine for stretching before or after run and swim workouts?  What are some good bike workouts on my trainer besides spinervals?

Race  topics-What is the best way to position before my swim?   What gear and nutrition do you carry on the bike to be as light as possible?

Thanks!

2007-12-11 3:38 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Savannah5799----FULL
Wldeydsthrnboy and Runnerg1rl7, welcome to the group.

Wldeydsthrnboy, my husband, at 22 was put on medication due to high blood pressure. He has since totally changed his diet and lost abot 20 lb and............. been able to come off the medication. I am sure that is not the case for everyone, but the changes have definatly made him a healther person. How has the 5k training been going?

Runnerg1rl7, how did you become interested in triathlons? Have you picked any races for next year?

I think we have a good size group and have renamed the group as full, glad to have all of you. I think we can all learn a lot from each other.

Nevergivin, great questions and I will give you my input on them soon. Let me know if anyone else has topics to discuss!

Savannah

2007-12-11 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1095817

New user

Mississippi
Awesome, thanks for including me, I feel like I won something!!

Savannah, I feel like my bp will normalize as my weight comes down. I'm at 263 right now, MUCH too heavy for my 5'10 frame.

The training is going good, my wife and I are running together, with that 5k goal in early February, since she will turn 40 at that time. We also plan to run our local 5k in May, should be fun.

Mike
2007-12-11 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Yay! Looks like we've got an interesting group here! I'm happy to be a part of it. Here's the 411 on me if you're interested:

Name: Laura

Background: I'm 26 and have also been an athlete most of my life. I ran xc and track in high school but then got to college and took a break from any serious running. I got back into running briefly in the fall of 2004 and then again for good in the fall of 2006. Unfortunately my still-not-over-yet knee injury saga began in November 2006 so I had to nix all my big running goals for 2007. In the spring I began swimming and biking for cross-training purposes and soon realized it might be fun to try one of those crazy triathlon things. I did my first in July, then did 2 more (1 in Aug and 1 in Sept, all sprints). TOTALLY HOOKED!

Family: Married for 2+ years to an active duty Marine who also has caught the running bug - he ran his first half and full marathons this year. One week after I got my road bike he decided he wanted one too and I got him to do a duathlon that was going at the same time & place as my tri in September. Despite getting a flat tire he loved it and I think he'll do more dus next year (MAYBE a sprint tri, but his surgically repaired shoulder can't handle much more swimming than that). No non-furry kids yet but we do have a very spoiled beagle named Bandit.

This years races: As I said before I did 3 sprint tris, finishing BOP in the first and MOP in the other 2. I also ran numerous 5Ks and 2 10Ks. I've decided that 10K is my new favorite race distance (but I have yet to run anything longer than that).

2008 Races: If all goes well with the knee surgery I have coming up this Friday (#2 for the year), I hope to run my first half-marathon in May and then do a sprint tri in late May/early June, then transition into a couple Oly tris over the summer and MAYBE do a HIM and/or a full marathon in the fall.

Routine: I followed BT's beginner sprint program last summer and did well with 3 runs, 3 swims, and 2 bike rides each week. Since I'll be sort of starting all over from scratch again after this surgery, I'm not sure yet what my training will look like.

Oh, as an fyi - my B.S. is in Exercise Science and I'm working on my thesis for my M.S. in Nutrition (should graduate in May), and currently work as a health coach & wellness specialist for an online corporate wellness program, so I can also help with nutrition-related stuff.
2007-12-11 7:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I posted a race report late lastnight. I drove 700 miles home and was beat. I really liked the race, had great times in the run and bike (swim eh). You can click on my name and hit races to see it I think. Anyway after I get my bike fixed or killed it will be back to the grind and finding another tri to go to in the spring.

Oh and to expand on my previous post. I was doing a 4 mile hill run and a 36 mile bike brick in Santa Barbara, was coming down a hill that got progressively steeper and then came to a corner that got increasingly sharp when I ran into some sand on the pavement and started to skid... eventaullly laid the bike down on the side (clipped in) then the front tire caught on the gravel and I flipped over knocking my glasses into the handlebars on the way over making 3 nice parallel cuts over my right eyebrow (3 days before my tri). It was pretty bloody from the forehead cuts by the time I got back to the house and I clipped a bracket on the shift cable making the bike unridable for the tri. I ended up renting a bike for the tri. Anyway I have to grab some food and get back to town to give a presentation on Autism. Saturday I get to drive the 400 miles to take my bike into the shop and beg for some work to be done on it or a frame replacement. Not so happy with a really basic design flaw in the Felt, oh well.

Edited by Baowolf 2007-12-11 7:58 PM
2007-12-11 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
Laura I would love to take advantage of your nutritional advice! I'll get my questions together.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  

of 6