BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-12-19 12:18 AM
in reply to: #1108923

Northern Germany
Subject: RE: Savannah5799----FULL

I asked santa for a swim wetsuit for christmas, we see how that goes.

I asked Santa for the same thing! And since I wasn't sure if he would bring it, I ordered one myself. I got the DeSoto T1 First Wave, which is a two-piece. I'm hoping it will sort of turn me into an inflatable raft, as am am a rotten swimmer. I won't get it until January, though, as my husband is bringing in back from a business trip to the U.S.  What kind are you wishing for?

2007-12-19 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1108904

User image

Traci,

What to bring on the bike portion of the bike leg is dependent on what the length is. I believe you are doing a sprint and an olympic, and they are two different beasts. The first issue, I guess would be where to put the stuff. You should definately have a saddle bag (a bag behind the saddle containing one or two tubes, co2 cartridges, an inflator, and paddles). These bags are readily available, and they even sell packages which have all the co2 stuff would need. This is where a trustworthy bikeshop comes in handy. For me, I would carry that saddle bag in trainning and racing, and you should probably practice replacing a flat, if you have not already done so. If you are not sure how to replace a flat, I would suggest going to your local bike shop and asking them to teach you, this should be a normal request, but if you are shy about it, there are some videos on you tube. Just make sure to practice, so that when you need it you are not flustured.

The next issue is food and water. If you have aerobars, you can get an aero bottle (made by Profile). The aero bottle keeps the straw in your face and serves as a good reminder to drink, and it is easier. One bottle is enough for a sprint. In short races I normally just do gatorade (sometimes watered down), and that is enough calories and hydration for the bike. One you step up to an olympic, you will need more water, and the race should have aid stations for you to pick some up. Water is something very personal, but the standard is about one bottle per hour. You want to try this before the race because drinking too much can be just as harmful as drinking too little. As far as food, there are two places to carry it, one choice is in your jersey pocket and another in a bento box. I suggest the bento box, that way you don't need to mess arpund getting things together in transition, because it is all ready to go on your bike. Now I cannot really help you with what kind of food to eat. Like I said, you should not need much food for a sprint, but you need to be eating about 200-350 calories an hour for longer races. this is another thing you need to practice. There are a lot of different products out there (gels, bars, beans, drinks. some people like there own made food such as peanut butter sandwiches, rice balls, boiled salted potatoes, peanut butter crackers, honey) and you really need to just start trying stuff and figuring out what works for you, and what you like.

I am pretty sure there are some books out there which discuss nutrition and I am not an expert, but there are a few simple guidelines which I have learned. I don't do gatorade with a gel, it is just too much sugar at one time. I love gels and I take them only with water. If my stomach is not feeling good, I stop drinking any sugar drinks on my bike, until it settles down. This is when it might be good to have both tyoes of hydration. Eating in races and trainning is an ongoing process. You can't just eat a meal half way through, it needs to be a constant flow, because your body can only absorb so much, an how much depends on the person and what heart rate zone they are in. The higher your heart rate, the less food your body can absorb. One last thing, Hydration is not just something you do on the bike. Hydration is an all day, everyday, thing. You need to train your body to absord water. It might be inconvenient, due to the amount of bathroom breaks, but it is well worth the trouble to stay hydrated. You should consider having some water with you at all times, and just drink small amounts all day. Electrolites are key to hydration. Salt makes your body hold on to water, which in a lot of cases can be a good thing, when you are sweating a lot. Keep in mind too that when you work out on a trainner or a treadmill, you generally sweat a lot more than if you are outside, so remember to drink more.

Are you still in PA? I am at my mother inlaw's house, do you have any specific questions about those races? I can ask her. I did get an e-mail from USAT saying that USAT members can sign up early for The Nations Triathlon. Let me know if you want more info about that.
2007-12-19 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1089527

User image

Janice,
That's a big PR! How is the training going?

Mike,
70 souns great can you send some of that this way?

Jackie,
Yes Yes Yes Yes! Push for getting in a run 3 times a week. It is better to get in 2 miles three times a week than 3 miles twice a week or 6 miles once a week. You want consistancy in your training and by doing shorter distances more often(but not to often) you will lessen the chance of getting an injury.

The side stitch is a pain. I still get them occasionally, just keep at it and you will get them less. You might want to check this out http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

Steve,
I went down on my bike once, and it really blows. It left me sore for a long time not to mention the scars from the road rash, yet I was still lucky because I didn't need a ride in wo wo mobile(ambulance) or break my bike. You really want to make sure you give your body the time it needs to heal.

With all the driving you are doing, you must be one dedicated athlete! As for the lack of music, you can always look at it as good training for racing since there is no music on the race course. Hope you get your bike back soon.

Savannah

2007-12-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1107949

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
Thanks so much. I'm going to download it and start tonight!
2007-12-19 9:51 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Steve, I'm thinking we should do a fundraiser to collect some gas money, or helicopter (Air Baowolf).......Who uses cd's anymore?

Kidding aside, I'm going to make an honest effort to stay consistent during the next two weeks(ok maybe I am kidding), what else can you expect with crazy weather and holiday parties? My bike is in the shop for tune up, dont expect it back until New Years, ok by me because of all the crazy Santa's on the roads. He better bring me a wetsuit also(QR Hydrofull)!!!

FYI

Tire Change:    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1223

Rear Wheel Removal:     http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1292

2007-12-19 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My big hope is that I can get my bike back on Friday. I would love to hit some nice 40 mile trecks during Christmas with no work, in that lovely above freezing temps they have in Santa Barbara this time of year. I just can't run enough during the week to compensate for the 80 miles of bike riding I have been doing.

Last night's run felt better than the previous week, so I am probably getting over the colds for now. I did realize that I really need 3-4 hours after meals before I can do runs or I can expect some side discomfort.

One problem I found with eating while exercizing is to avoid really dry foods like granola bars, and things that flake and get into your lungs when you are breathing hard, very uncomfortable. My favorite is cheeze sticks, gooey enough to not get in your lungs and you can take a little bit at a time.

I generally don't need any food or water for 1 hour workouts until after in cool temperatures, but if it is like 100 F out that is a different beast. If I go 90 min without any food I start to notice it, so I typically go 30 min then start a little something and then go every 30 to 45 minutes with food on the longer trecks. I haven't really gone longer than a 3-4 hour bikeride before, over which time I had 2 granola bars, 3 cheeze sticks and 75 oz ish of water.

I was looking for a half marathon near me... lol, there is one close (150 miles away) on Jan 13th, but I don't think I will be ready in time for that, but then I haven't found anything after that and before May, which is a long stretch.

Oh and wetsuits, I was kind of looking a the promotion one at the top of the BT home page. I haven't read alot of reviews so far, I hope santa has....

Oh well, back to work.

Edited by Baowolf 2007-12-19 11:50 AM

2007-12-19 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1108904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
vball03umd - 2007-12-18 10:57 PM

hey there runnergirl...I'm headed to Chester County...where are you in PA

Oh, I'm way the heck up in Scranton (northeastern PA). Though I was born and lived in Delaware County for the first 5.5 years of my life.

Funny reading about some of you who requested wetsuits for Christmas - why didn't I think of that?? Doh!! I DO think I might be getting some aerobars from my DH, though...
2007-12-20 9:14 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Savannah, Could I borrow some of your speed, or your Newtons? I wanted to see If I could get your opinion on my planned training starting in January. It's a modified sprint to oly and I have left off Sunday for a relaxation down day or extra run if I start to like running more(and right about now I don't). Would you change anything in your opinion knowing that I am:  good swimmer,average biker, bad runner? All that I have modified up to this point is scheduled days to fit around my schedule. Should I change any part of my workout to benefit my biking and running more? My swimming will not follow the planned workout now that I'm in masters swimming, so my actual will be way different than is planned, as you know. Do you think this plan is too easy ?  Do you set goals that take you above and beyond your planned training, or should I keep to the plan so that I'm not sidelined? I am just fine tuning things while I have a few off from work before my new program starts.
2007-12-22 7:36 PM

User image

hi everyone! Sorry it has been awhile since I posted, holidays have been crazy for me! I saw many of you have been getting in some great workouts and are well on your way to a building a base for the up coming season. I encourage you to post your workouts, it is fun to watch the improvments and see your workouts accumulate.

Stuart, I am on my cell phone and can't really type and good reply to your post until I get back to my computer, which should be soon!

Are there Any other topics I can help with?

Keep training hard and safe!

----savannah
2007-12-23 12:24 AM

User image

Modesto, California

No hurry, its going to be a laid back week for me, trying to get mentally focused for the start of my plan next week. Not much going on except maybe a couple of runs at the most.

Merry Christmas to Everyone !!! 

2007-12-23 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Have a Happy Holidays everyone! Enjoy your family, friends and gift giving/receiving

2007-12-26 6:54 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Great Christmas!!!! Lots of bike stuff and workout cloths. Someone left a 2-pound bag of peanut brittle and now its peanut dust, like I needed that! I did all the cooking so I'm guilty of eating way too much. Time to get serious about training! Hope everyone is doing well, its been quiet here.
2007-12-26 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Hope everyone had a good Christmas  

Thanks for all the info on the bike portion savannah!! 

What kind of toys did santa bring everyone? I know some folks were hoping for wetsuits??  I got a Garmin 305 and took it out for a test run yesterday morning.  Pretty cool even though it's kind of big to wear on my wrist.  I do like all of the info it records 

2007-12-26 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and are enjoying some downtime with friends & family and/or good training this week.

Still recovering from my knee surgery here. Have a follow-up appt with my ortho on Monday and hope to start PT next Wednesday to get the ball rolling toward a healthy 2008 training & racing season. Santa did bring me a great set of carbon clip-on aerobars that I can't wait to try out (in a few weeks).
2007-12-26 5:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hias all, I got some nice neopreem shoe covers for biking in cold weather so my feet don't go numb. Now, however I am in Santa Barbara and it is mid 60s, very pleasant for exercizing. Since I took yesteray off from working out I buckled down and did an 11 mile run to the beach and back. That is long for me, but it was a nice run. And ya, boxes of nut, caramel, chocholate things were my downfall yesterday, icecream pie, all the fixings. I may yet pull off my unoffical goal of 80 miles run for the month despite holidays and a tri with recovery, travel and such. The bike goal is just toast with no bike for 2 weeks, maybe i can pull off 150 miles, we will see. Hopefully I can rip out a 30 + mile ride tomorrow. Oh well have fun all.
2007-12-26 5:48 PM

User image

Hello everyone! Glad to hear santa was good to all. I had a great xmas, my husband is sending me to Mark Allen's spring camp, so I am really excited to see what I can learn from them.

Traci,
Let me know what you think of that Garmin. My husband has been interested in it, but we held of this xmas because we weren't sure if it was worth the money. Do you think it is pretty accurate?

Stuart, First, the Newtons, I borrowed those from my mother in law for a run. Although I do think they corrected my form and made me slighlyt faster, I am not sure I agree with them. I have heard of many people(including my mother in-law) using them and getting hurt withing a short period of starting to use them. I could really feel that they added stress in new areas, and if I do buy a pair I would slowly work them into my run training and not completely replace my current shoes with them. I think that might help reduce the risk of an injury and maybe slowly strenghten the newly stressed areas.

As for the training!!! I think a rest day or easy day after your long workouts is a great idea. First, because it will allow your body to recover and reduce risk of injury as well as give you time for other hobbies, family, ect. I generally do a long ride on sat and long run on sun so my recovery day is Monday. Just make sure you are planning your week so that your recovery day gives you the most advantage. It's not as productive to take an off day after an easy day as it is to take it after a few hard workout days.

As for planning your training. Each person is different. So I can tell you what I do and why I do it, but that doesn't mean it's right for anyone else! I used to do my own training plans, it was basically today I feel like..... so I will.... This left me injured a lot, because I tend to push to hard. I didn't do well with a training plan template, because I would still just do what I wanted. So I got a coach and this has worked very well for me. He arranges my workouts to get maximum productivity from the time I put in and makes sure I am not over doing it. If you are doing masters at least 3 times a week, you should be well on your way to solid swim training for a sprint distance race. For swim training I feel that in general the time I put into training gives me the least return for a better race time. The swim is only time wise about 10% of your race, so at this point I am only looking for a solid swim, not an perfect swim. I think the most important thing about the swim in the beginning is feeling prepared for it. You MUST be confident and comfortable with being in the water. Know that you will get hit, kicked, pushed, bumped, grabbed, and still not panic. Practise sighting, drafting, and swimming straight.

You ask if your plan is to easy, well I can't say. How difficult your plan is depends on what your goals are and how much time you want to put into training. What are your goals? How many hours are you putting in? How many days a week are you going to be running, swimming, biking. How many total hours are you putting in? How many hours do you want to put in? How long have you been training? What is the date and distance of your next race?

Right now I am focusing mainly on my run. This is for two reasons. One, it is the sport I have the most room for improvment in. Second, I have a half marathon coming up that I would like to do well in.

Goal setting. That's tough. I generally pick some races that sound fun, then I think about goals. I often have set three goals. One that I am fairly sure I can do, one that is a reasonable challenge, and one that is a reach goal. I don't think most people do it this way, but it works for me. I don't set goals in my training, only for race day. Training to me is like homework(only I enjoy it). You just do it and do it right. I train so I can race my best race. If your are setting goals with your training and that's what works for you, I would recommend setting obtainable goals that are challenging enough to keep you interested.

I hope this helps you some. Let me know if you still have questions about it or if I left something unclear!

Happy training!

-----Savannah

2007-12-26 7:18 PM

User image

Modesto, California

You helped, giving me more confidence in my plan more than anything. 

How should I structure my training plan in between my races, I think after my Olympic race in May my next Olympic race isn't for another 16 weeks, could you give me some ideas how to continue my training in between races , my current plan ends right at my first race so should I start a new plan from the beginning or move to an intermediate type program or keep repeating the last 4 weeks of current program ?  Also I am doing a half marathon in late summer, what do you think is the best way to combine a 1/2 mary and tri program for someone that is not a strong runner?

2007-12-26 10:53 PM

User image

Eifel Region of Germany

Hello everyone! 

It sounds like there were some good little boys and girls this year.  I got cash for Christmas which I'm using to upgrade my running gear (Under Armour).  I'm looking to get off of the treadmill and outside a little more, but its cold here so it needed motivation...ha!  I made it through Christmas without going too overboard on the sweets, and I'm looking forward to starting 2008 with some great training!

I hope all is well with everyone!

Matt

2007-12-27 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think someone was posting about the shoes that have no padding to them at all, similar to racing flats or simply having some rubber, but no padding between your foot and the ground. I own a pair of those and run 10% of my run distance on them. The main purpose for them is to improve your form by making you run in a non-heal-strike / on the balls of your feet running motion. This is supposed to reduce impact on your knees by up to 55 percent. They tend to strengthen the arch of your foot, calves, achilies and that muscle just to the outside of your shin bone that can give you shin splints if you screw them up (isoband or some such). As Savannah said you have to start easy with them. I can do about 2 miles at a regular running pace in them for now (Fivefinger shoes) and that is about it for now, still building up callusses and muscle tone. The form caries over to those cushy running shoes I have and helps with overall form and reduced stress on the knees. The main thing is to not do heal-strike running and if you run barefoot or in flats your body will tell you if you are doing it right or not.
2007-12-27 2:19 PM

User image

GA
Hi Savannah! I hope you & your family had a wonderful christmas! Ok, it's time to get serious!!!!

I do not have aerobars on my bike. Should I buy some? I will have to have my top brake levers removed, but that should not be a problem.

Right now, I am currently spinning 3 times per week. And swimming, maybe twice. What kind of plan should I do? The beginner tri plan (when big boys tri) or Gale Bernardt's 12 week to a sprint plan? I really enjoy the spin class, since I haven't been on my bike in a while.

2007-12-28 8:22 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Who in our group needs a bike computer? I have an extra that is barely used and would like to help a person from our group. If you are interested please P.M. me. If you have one already please dont raise your hand, I am not asking for anthing in return other than a note saying I got it and thanks. It does need to be wired for the cadence censor. Pic below-

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126175258

2007-12-29 6:40 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just did a 60 mile bike ride, was nice of that head wind to kick up for the last 30 miles phwa I'm beat. It turns out that for my fitness level 60 is really a lot longer than 45 miles. I certainly was not entertaining the idea of doing any kind of run afterwards thats for darn sure. I brought about the right amount of food and drank my last sip of water back in the driveway (80 oz over 4 hours). I may, however stick with 50 mile bike rides or less for a while. Good to know where those walls are though, for now its 10 mile run 50 mile bike. Anyway have a good night all I think I'll watch a movie or something that requires less energy.
2007-12-29 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

awesome ride today baowolf!!!

Today I ran for 7 miles and it's the longest distance I've ever done.  I was pretty excited since I ran my first 5k in May and I thought THAT was far.  I did get a little dizzy at the end when I stopped running but I think it's because I should have slowed down gradually instead of just walking-- or maybe my body was thinking... damn why are you running so far!!!

Savannah -- I have mixed feelings about the Garmin so far.  I've only used it for two runs so I'm not sure of it's accuracy.  I look at the screen too much during the run instead of just RUNNING and it freaks me out when I see my heart rate getting up there when I still feel like I'm at a "conversational pace"... but it's only been two times with it so most likely it'll take some getting used to.  I guess I'm just not used to monitoring everything so closely...I have the screen set to show time, pace, distance, and heart rate...just a bunch of information to take in when I'm out for a run

2007-12-30 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Traci,

Nice run and good pace as well. Your run was 64 min so you should not have had any problems with fluid or carbs from your bloodstream. It could be you were just plum tired at the top of your endurance, I got there yesterday on the bike ride. Only thing other than fitness I can think of is to not breath too fast. Oh well keep at it you are doing great!
2007-12-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1122395

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

I remember when I first started using my HRM when training and it is a lot of info to take in, but it is very worth it when it comes to not "overtraining." Slowing down and taking time to build my run base was prompted by my spiking HR when I got to the 8:30 min mile pace. It's also a great tool to measure your recovery time which is a good thing to know and measure your progress with. The shorter your recovery time the better!

The HRM has also been most helpful when biking, as I tend to easily push too hard, get to 90% and stay there... so it reminds me to take it back a notch. Plus, in spinning clas they always tell you your target HR range for the type of ride you are doing and I find it a pain to take your own pulse

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  

of 6