BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1149937

User image

Subject: RE: Savannah5799----FULL
Sorry I have been gone for a while, I have been out of town working, but I am back now, so I will catch up on things and hopefully be back to normal.

2008-01-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1089527

User image

Sorry to all that I haven't been easilt available lately. Looks like the group has fallen apart a good bit. Let's see if I can pull someone you back.

First, I am watching it snow outside and honestly growing up in the south, I am not very happy about it. My training isn't going to happen today!

As for questions about the trainer, I know nothing about them. Except how to put my bike on it and that it is much better to ride the trainer inside than to ride in the snow! I would recommend that whiole riding the trainer you do a workout, instead of just riding while watching TV. Do some intervals of hard vs easy. For example do a 10 1:00 hard 2:00 easy with a cool down and a warm up, or a stead 10 minute build with 4:00 hard 2:00 easy. Any combination that youy are comfortable with will work. Doing this does two things for me, keeps me attention longer and actually makes me much stronger. You can also get those spinnerval dvd's I have never tried them, but have heard some good stuff about them.

How has everyone been training? When is the first race coming up?

My training has been going fairly well. Consistent and no injuries! I have my first ever 1/2 marathon coming up on the 9th, which I am both scared and excited about.

Hope everyone is well!
Savannah
2008-01-17 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

hey guys -- training has been going pretty well for me, but last week I attempted a 40 minute endurance swim, got 13 minutes into it, felt myself get a little panicky, and had to hold on to the side for a minute or so before I was able to get it together.  I did try switching from freestyle to breaststroke, but that didn't seem to help either!

My first race (ever) is in June and I'm wondering if, by chance, you get panicky in the water, are there things to hold on to?  I've read in some peoples posts that they were able to hold on to lifeboats??  Is it like that in every race.  Or if you freak out.. is that it for your race?  I'm pretty sure I'd be able to continue if I had a minute or so to get it together.

Of course I plan to be physically and mentally ready for the open water swim in June, but I guess there's always a chance my body could go into panic mode like it did in the pool.  That's the first time that has happened to me in the water and it kind of freaked me out!  I'm just hoping if it happens on race day.. there will be something to hang on to and get out of panic mode

2008-01-17 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My training has been really good, however. For the last 3 runs I have had some minor pain in my left knee joint where the fibula lands on the left hand bump of the tibia cradle. I am fine for the first 5 miles and then somewhere around 6-8 miles I start feeling some pain. I walk it off and its fine, no pain in the morning etc. I am dropping some distance and workouts to have more rest, but not sure where to go with it. Oh well will monitor it with a workout reduction and see. Myabe just run all sub 6 mile runs for a while don't know.
2008-01-17 12:53 PM

User image

Traci,
The swim can be very challenging for many people. More so mentally than physically, my advice is swim enough to feel comfortable with your ability to finish the swim. In most of the races I have been in there have been kayaks, boats, people on surfboards, ect to assist you if you need assistance. You should double check with the race direct to see what they have planned as far as water "safety." If nothing else just for piece of mind. One thing to consider is that you will more than likely end up in a pack of swimmers, due to other racers being on the course. This may cause some difficulty in either the safety people getting to you or you getting to the safety people if you need help. Also, some races DQ you if you touch a safety person and require you to be pulled from the race. I strongly recommend not starting a race if you think you will need safety assistance in the water. Many times during the swim of a race I have felt that I was totally on my own, as if I were to truly need assistance it would not be able to get to me. Something else you need to find out about the race is how they want you to signal that you need help during the swim. I have commonly been told to turn on my back and raise my arm, however different races may want you to do something else. Can you race in a novice category? They usually have their own start, with less aggressive athletes, and the race staff knows to watch them more closely as it is their first race. Again, I will say if you feel uncomfortable with being able to finish the swim do not start the race. I don't want to scare you but I do know of more than one person who has started a swim and ended up not here with us today. It is only for fun and not worth the risk. I would also encourage you to do many open water swims before the race, but make sure you have a person who can help you if you were to need it. I am sure you have the ability to get where you need to be to feel comfortable enough in the water to complete a triathlon of any distance, but it is very important to reach that point before you start racing!

Steve,

AHHHH!!! Knees!!!! I know first hand how troubling knees are. Is the pain on the outside of your knee? I am no DR. and am not nearly educated enough about knees to tell you what is up. Have you considered it being IT band syndrome? I deal with this for about 8 months last year, and it was no fun. Keep an eye on it, because it is much easier to take a few days or a week off now to get your knee well than it is to take several months off and need surgery. Pain is a way of your body telling you something is wrong, pushing through it generally causes further damage.

Keep up the great training,
SAvannah
--
2008-01-17 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Hi All... Training is going great for me... it's only my 2nd week of "planned" training and it feels good so far. Biking is still my strong point, but my running HR is getting much better. Doing intervals of run/walk is really helping. I'm itching to get in the pool, but have to wait 2 more months until the pool is done... there's no ows in MI this time of year!

I would have to agree with Savanah on the importance of being completely comfortable in the water. At my first race last summer I started front and center and was "trampled" and a freak out soon followed... I was able to just side stroke for a minute to catch my breath and re-compose... but be prepared for elbows in your face, arms all over and people swimming right up on you. It really is not pretty. My second race was much better, I knew what to expect and I made a personal choice to start on the outside and swim into the pack... Just take it slow and easy...  

2008-01-20 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
thanks for the advice   I have until May to decide whether I want to defer the registration for the Philly Olympic until 2009.. if I have any doubt that I won't be able to do the swim, I'll just train for next year. 
2008-01-21 12:21 PM

User image

My goodness it is cold here. I am really finding it hard to get outside and train, the trainer and treadmill are not nearly as much fun as getting outside. Do any of you cold weather natives have any advice for dressing to run in the cold weather? I find that if I dress to stay warm at the start of my run I start sweating and by the end of my long run am very cold from being wet... Needless to say I am looking forward to summer.

Traci,
That sounds like a good plan for the race. I think you still have plenty of time to get comfortable enough in the water to race well. Swim as much as you can! It will help a ton if you can get some open water swims in with a group or friend when it gets warmer. Are there any early season sprint triathlons that you can do. Maybe a pool swim or super short open water swim?

Savannah
2008-01-21 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

When I run on cold days (I haven't run outside in weather colder than 25 though) I wear under armour everything and it seems to do the trick.  I wear sweat pants, a tshirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, gloves, and a hat.  If it's 40 or warmer, I won't wear the fleece jacket.  When I feel myself start to get too hot, I'll take off the gloves, then my hat if necessary.  I never thought I'd like running in the cold, but I prefer it over the treadmill or indoor track. 

I'm looking for some sprints to do before the Philly tri, but I'm doing a 1/2 mary in mid-May and most likely I'll be going to Atlanta for volleyball nationals at the end of May so I am running into some scheduling problems. 

2008-01-21 10:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I got some cold weather gear for Christmas, basically windbreaker pants and jacket that are ultra lite, just a shell really, but the dont let the wind blow through... that's what kills ya sub 30, especially when that wind blows and freezes your sweat on your shirt.

K so my workouts been sucking, small aches, moderate fatigue, low motivation, put on a few pounds, cut back on distances and pace and added 1-2 more rest days per week. I feel like I am losing ground, but still trying to log in 6-8 hours per week. Work is sucking, kind of typical for this time of year. Snow on the ground, icy, cold not very inviting. Worked during the holiday today, then came home and got my wife's van out of the ditch, then worked out, got done just in time to say prayers with the kids and yell at them to shut up and go to bed. Oh ya and then eat something. Night.
2008-01-22 8:49 AM

User image

I hate the cold. Actually I just hate winter and most people would say we don't really have a winter here in Georgia. Too dark and cold, just not motivating.

This is a tough time of year to train. So I will share my theory on getting through it. I say there are probably only about 4-6 weeks of this weather left before it starts to get warmer, and the days are already getting longer. I find it helps to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Then I always remind myself of several things about training and the upcoming season.

1) I have made it this far and put in many tough days, so I don't want to give up on what I have already gained.
2) It takes two days to regain the loss in training for every day you take off. So say you take a week off it takes two weeks to get back to where you were before you took the time off.
3) My first races are getting close enought that I need to start training specifically for them. Even if it is low volume.
4)Everyone else is training and I am not going to let them get ahead of me.
5)Toughing out these nasty days is preparing me for the dicomfort I might find in a race or for an early season race with bad weather.
6)You have to deal with the bad weather to appreciate the wonderful summer, spring, fall training days.

Anyone have any other motivating ideas for how to get your butt out the door and train despite the unmotivating weather....?

Keep getting in a few quality workouts and don't burnout,
Savannah

2008-01-22 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
My motivation is heading to the gym and not going outside!! I avoid the cold at all cause and going inside to sweat with many others is motivating to me.
2008-01-22 9:55 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I may have figured out one component of what has been wrong lately. I think my bike seat is off by like 1/4 inch or somehting like that which over the past 300 miles on the bike and 200 miles runing has caused an overuse spot in my knee joints. I am gona adjust it a bit and see if that fixes it. These subtle things are reallly hard to detect when ya dont feel it for 50 days after it gets off a touch. Oh well I will let ya know how it goes. Did get in a 7 mile run yesterday, 1 hour of lifting or so and a 25 mile bike ride today so hangin in there.

I figure my shoes are about ready to be replaced too so gona order a new pair tonight or tomorrow. Maintanance maintance maintance, I'm as bad as my car, get the alignment adjusted, rotate the tires, check the fluid levels...

Edited by Baowolf 2008-01-22 10:00 PM
2008-01-23 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

did most of you have your bike fitted for you??  I'm not sure whether I should spend the money to have it done or not.  I don't have much experience on a road bike, so the biking position is uncomfortable for me anyway.  I've spent some time on the bike, nothing seems to hurt or go numb while I'm riding except that I feel I'm putting a lot of weight onto my hands... maybe that's just inexperience.  I'm thinking of taking a picture of myself on the bike and comparing it to what the biking position is supposed to look like.... but  if feeling comfortable on the bike (and not injuring myself.. ugh!)  is a matter of the seat being a 1/4 of an inch off..it would probably be a good idea to let someone who knows what they're doing fit me? 

As for cold weather motivation.. I have a hard time in the winter.  It's tough to get moving, but once I do, I feel so much better.  My motivation is, after I graduated from college (and from playing volleyball for at least 2 hours, 6 days a week), I started to put on a few pounds because my activity level had gone way down, but I didn't change my eating habits.  I moved into an apartment and thought the dryer was shrinking my jeans.. but it was actually my bootie growing.. ha!  I worked really hard last year to get the post - college pounds off and my motivation to keep going is keeping that extra weight off...without changing my eating habits ;-

2008-01-23 2:13 PM

User image

Yeah, I avoid the outside too. I don't know why, but being cold really irritates me!

Wow 1/4 of an inch is a lot. Bike fits are very important to avoid injury. If you got your bike from a bike shop they should have fit you for it when you picked it up. If you have trouble getting comfortable with the bike fit, you might want to get someone to professionally fit you.

I feel like we are always buying new shoes at my house, my husband seems to go through them super fast. I think it is because he weighs more than me and in turn puts more stress on his shoes. However, at 150 bucks a pair, I wish they lasted more than 300 miles!

I know what you mean about the post college dryer shrinking your jeans deal. I too went through that. I practiced about 4 hours a day and walked eveywhere in college. It's odd to me that food back then didn't have calories or fat.

Savannah

Edited by savannah5799 2008-01-23 2:18 PM
2008-01-24 5:18 PM

User image

So it's still cold here.

What is everyone planning for the weekend? I have my longest run(length wise) ever on Sunday and a brick on Sat. I am really hoping for some better weather.

Savannah

2008-01-24 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1174881

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

This weekend for me holds a brick, hanging out with gal pals, walking the dog and missing my hubby who will be in Utah snowboarding! I'm going to try and do 1 brick a week, bike/run ofcourse, until I get into a gym with a pool.  Funny enough, my run feels better after biking.

2008-01-24 10:54 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The seat adjustment was helpful. The bike guys were suposed to fit it and were supposed to be qualified.... but I don't think they were. And, as this if my first non K-mart bike I was not sure what exactly "right" was. Now that i have 800 miles on the bike and getting a touch sore in a way that I shouldn't I adjusted the seat and notice that the pressure on my foot across the peddle was slightly on the outside of my foot and thus the outside of my knee and by raising it about 1/4 inch my weight is more even across the peddle and thus across my knee. The taper I took last week seems to have helped as my legs are feeling better this week.

The bike had been at that setting for 300 miles before I noticed anything wrong... these things are pretty subtle for a non-experienced biker.

Anyway things moving along, 10 mile run 3/1 in Redding scheduled.

2 lessons learned so far: 1) sand on curve is bad (thow shalt respect gravity, friction and momentum) and 2) better understanding of my rate of improvement so I do not overdue it.

Hopefully I will be back to full plan next week.
2008-01-25 7:50 AM

User image

It has been so cold here that I barely take my dog out for a walk. Poor guy is so bored, we might take him to petsmart this weekend for some indoor entertainment.

Glad you got the bike issue worked out. I think there are a lot of people out there who are supposed to be "professionals" and really don't know much. It's important to keep that in mind when choosing who to spend your money with. Bike and shoe fittings very commonly have that problem.

Sometimes taking a light week of training is very productive during the off season. Especially if you are physically tired. Many top coaches and triathletes actually use a three week build one week easy training plan. This allows you to recover physically and gives you some additional personal time.

Have a great weekend,
Savannah
2008-01-25 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Hi everyone!

Sorry I was absent from this forum for a bit - life got crazy but it has settled down again (for now). I've been continuing to swim as often as possible and go to PT twice a week. I think my knee is making good progress...but I'm really beginning to get anxious to start running again! (And snowboarding - boy am I jealous of your DH, Jhanton!).

This weekend will include at least one swim, some core work, and who knows what else. Usual housework and fun cooking that I don't have time or energy for during the week.

Train well!
2008-01-27 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

Has anyone else ever had body composition testing? Our gym offered it this weekend and I took part today... very eye opening for my hydration level (it's too low!)... and affirming as far as my BMI.

It's also great to get my "real" basal metabolism number, now I feel I can really focus my nutrition correctly.

2008-01-28 8:10 AM

User image

I have heard a little about it. There are many different methods, with varying accuracy. What method did they use to test you? We have an ironman scale, which actually gives us all that info pretty easily. It is not 100% accurate, but is nice to have a general daily guide. Hydration is so important, and is something that is done over many days or weeks(basically a lifestyle or habit). You have to keep up with it everyday and every workout. I also struggle with it myself. I try to drink lots of water and skim milk, limit coffee and soda, and have the occasional nuun. Nuun, works wonders for me.

How about a weekend training recap from everyone?

My weekend went fairly well. I got my brick in, but had to use the trainer, since the weather was ugly. Sunday brought me a great long run and weather nice enough to play outside with me dog(finally). I am looking forward to a nice easy day of training today as this weekend kicked my butt!

Savannah
2008-01-28 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1179313

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

They used the electodes hooked up to my wrist and hand and then one on my ankle and foot. She said my hydration level should be about 60% and I was at 51.57%... therefore in order to get my cells back up to the plump grape level (as she put it) I needed a few days of 80oz a day and probably to keep that up because of training. Seems like a lot!

Weekend training went well, I had two very good runs with weight training yesterday. My left hip is a bit sore today, I'm thinking stress on my hip flexor... so hopefully that subsides.

2008-01-28 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The bike adjust seems to be good so far, slowly easing back into it. I am on track for my goals for the month 104/100 miles run and 246/300 miles biked with 4 days left. 8 inches of snow today, so it will all be inside. I am soo tempted to do some downhill skiing or cross country skiing, but I just know it will screw some small muscle and give me overuse issues. Hrm may go anyway on Sat.

Anyway over the weekend I spoke with my brother-in-law over the phone which lead to my wife "talking to me about stuff she overheard us talking about regarding "wives"" and well that lead to ... missing most of my Saturday workout, Friday was a day off so I got a 12.5 mile bike on Sat (midnight), 9 mile run with 1 mile cool down on Sunday with a 12.5 mile bike, just to finish of the bikeride from the night before. That is the longest run I have been able to do in a few weeks.

Work continues to suck, but oh well, get a few projects done over the next 3 weeks and I should be good. Although, nm on that it will probably stay screwy.
2008-01-29 3:44 PM

User image

Yikes..... 51. Drink up! Hydration or rather dehydration in your case, can effect your performance. Do you feel sluggish some days for unknown reasons? What about muscle cramps? When I drink coffee before I get in the pool in the am my arches cramp and its terrible. Tow years ago when I was fairly new to the sport and really bad about drinking, I would cramp so badly that I would pull muscles. That was a very painful experience, but I learned to drink. Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes, when you sweat a lot you lose water and electrolytes. The electrolytes help your body hold the water to maintain hydration. Good things to drink are milk(skim, chocolate), 1/2 and 1/2 water and gatorate mix, or an electrolyte replacement such as nuun(which is great because you get electrolytes with 0 calories). Have you ever heard of hyponatremia, it is basically over hydration, which can actually be life threatening as well. Check out this link it provides some good info.
http://www.trainingsmartonline.com/images/Free_Triathlon_Articles/I...

Keep working on hydration, its super important to your performance and well being!

Glad the bike fit is working out well for you. Sorry to hear the weekend workouts had to take the back seat. I know we wives can be challenging! Nice job getting that run in though.

Keep training spring is just around the corner(I hope),
Savannah
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  

of 6