Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1089527

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Savannah5799----FULL
Ya hyponetrima or polydipsa, over hydration is perhapse one of the biggest risks of death in a triathalon. Basically you flood too much of your electrolyts out of your body at the cellular level and your heart etc just stop. Once that happens you are done there is no cure even if you were in the ER with an IV in you when that happened. Schizophrenic patients have this happen as do triathlete, ussualy the undertrained ones for the event are at higher risk, cuz of less training, lack of knowledge and hanging out at the water stops longer to rest. From what I have read 16 to 20 oz of fluid per hour is the rule. Can get by with a little less if its cool closer to 20 if hot. For longer tri's electrolytes as well as hydration become more important because you are flooding your system with minimal food intake for a longer period of time. Anyway no medical dr here, but we did have one case of a death in the ER from this. The guy was litterally 50 feet from the er bed when he collapsed, he had a doc on him in 30 sec, nothing ya can do.

Not meaning to scare anyone, just respect the nutrician info especially around water and electrolytes. If you bonk you bonk, at least you can stagger to get help. If you screw up the water/electrolytes you r going to the hospital at best.

2008-01-30 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

yeah i've heard about people dying from drinking too much water.. that's awful   There was a death from a radio contest about a year ago.  I think it was called "hold your wee for a wii" and the contestants had to keep drinking water, and not go to the bathroom, for as long as they could and a woman wound up dying from it... so sad!

I think I drink about 5 .5L water bottles a day while I'm at work and usually stay away from the coffee.  I think I'm pretty well hydrated and never have had a problem with muscle cramps.  I'd be curious to see what my body composition numbers are though.  We have a scale at home that gives body fat and water % readings, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. 

2008-01-31 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
I'm definitely paying much more attention to my hydration now! Before it was making sure to drink a few bottles of water and take one with me to work out, but I'm now loggin my water ounces. I really didn't have any "problems" an occasional cramp, but I'm feeling so much better now! My runs are easier.
2008-02-01 9:23 AM

User image

Wow!!!! The sun is finally out here, it is so nice to see it. Too bad I only have a swim and a short track workout planned for today.

When is everyones first race? Have you started a formal training plan to prepare for your first race of the season? What is your biggest concern for the first race of the season?

My first "race" is a half marathon on the 9th, but my first tri isn't until April. I have been training on a plan for some time to prepare for the 1/2 marathon and start working on my triathlon base. At this time my biggest concern is keeping my knees feeling good, I feel like they are about to give out on me. ITBS stuff. I need to work on stretching and according to my coach hydration and cutting my sugar intake should help with me knees.... who would have thought.

Looks like I will be cutting all liquids from my diet except water and bye bye sweets. I am sorry for those who have to be around me next week.... no coffee and no chocolate.... not a good combination for me

Have a great weekend,
Savannah
2008-02-01 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

no sun here.. it's been pouring ALL day.  At least it's not snow though. 

My first "race" is a 1/2 marathon on May 18th, but I'll probably do some more 5k & 10K racing before then when it's starts getting warmer.  I'm doing a local 5k on sunday.  I'm not really worried about the 1/2 marathon.  I'm not concerned about the time and I'm just looking forward to participating in it since May of last year was my first 5K and I thought THAT was a big accomplishment for me.  My vball and bball coaches always used running as a punishment in practices and now I find myself enjoying it.  I love to run and can't wait for the 1/2!

My first tri is on June 22nd (it's an Oly distance) and, I'll admit, I am worried about that race.  I'm worried that I won't be prepared enough even though I've been consistently training since mid-October and I still have 4.5 months to go.  I am going to take the advice you guys gave me about the swim and won't start the race if I'm not confident in my ability by that point.  I have until mid-May sometime to defer my entry until next year.  I'm not really worried about the bike / run portions.  Just the dag 'on swim.  I do tend to be a worrier though and most likely I have the fitness to do the swim with no problem.. it's just the mental part I need to get over.  Maybe I'll take a few shots of vodka before the race to calm my nerves.. haha

2008-02-01 9:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have a 10 mile race on 3/1 and want to do a half mary this spring. I'm not sure when. I was feeling pretty confident around Christmas in thick air, but am struggling back to a 9mile run this month. I put in 111 miles run and 300 miles bike even though we have had more snow and ice here this year than in the perevious 12 years. (gogo indoor training).

I hope to do an oly in the fall, and am most worried about the swim as... I have no place to swim until summer and then well, I am not sure how consistent things will be with family vactions and such.

I guess I should just start out from base camp and have them give me a 90 min headstart on my bike or running then pick me up as they find me along the freeway on our 2500 mile trip (1 way). I wish they had more Tri's in the midwest in the summer where I will be vacationing. I am only finding like one of each distance in each midwest state per year. I will have to calculate bloodloss due to mosquito and fly bites into my workouts in the midwest.

I am still a little worried about a half mary as my distance is kind of stuck atm. We see how things work out in Feb. training.

2008-02-05 7:36 AM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
I'm going for a spring (May) 5k and a Tri in June, then a fun race called the "Muddy Buddy" in Chicago in August as well as my 2nd Tri of the season. Our July is booked, and I'm not gutsy enough to plan anything before May with MI weather!
2008-02-05 5:16 PM

User image

Traci,

You still have plenty of time to get ready for yout tri. I wasn't trying to talk you out of racing, I just want to encourage you to working on getting comfortable in the water. Can you do some open water swims when the weather warms up? That helps a lot, but make sure you have someone with you.

Steve,

Enjoy the time with your family!!! How old are your kids? Do they have any interest in training with you? A 111 mile month is not to shabby, it's a great starting point to train for a spring 1/2, you could probably be ready in 8-12 weeks to have a great race and possibly sooner if you were aiming to finish.

Jackie,
Sounds like you have some great races planned. I too will be kinda taking a break over the summer, racing some in the spring and then again in the fall. It will be nice to have a break in the racing, it gets really really hot here and racing in 100+ temps isn't so much fun.

I have to say all of you impress me with keeping your training going through this yucky weather. The weather where I am is not nearly as icky as most of you are dealing with and I struggle to get out the door everyday. Keep it up and you will be strong and ahead come spring time.

Have a good one,
Savannah
2008-02-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1188654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

savannah5799 - 2008-02-01 10:23 AM  When is everyones first race? Have you started a formal training plan to prepare for your first race of the season? What is your biggest concern for the first race of the season?

I've got a couple "fun" races coming up first - the Shamrock Shuffle 8K in Chicago on 3/30 with one of my best friends and the NJ Marathon Relay on 5/4 with the same friend, my mom, and another friend.  For both of those I'm not at all concerned about time, especially since my knee is still healing from surgery.  Then I hope to complete my first half mary on 5/18.

First tri of the season will probably be the Black Bear sprint tri here in PA on 6/1.  Then there will probably be a big lull until late July (hope to do my first oly - Boulder Peak on 7/20 in CO).  DH and I are moving to CO in June, so by the time we drive all the way out there, get our housing situation squared away, and get acclimated to the elevation, mid to late July is probably about the earliest I could hope to get another race in.

according to my coach hydration and cutting my sugar intake should help with me knees....

Now that's interesting.  Do you know what the logic behind that is?  (Hydration makes perfect sense, but the sugar thing is a new one to me and I'm almost done with an MS in Nutrition!)

Hope everyone's training is going well!

2008-02-10 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI

I just finished my 3rd week of "planned" training. I've adapted the run focused 22 week plan. Do to not having access to a pool for the time being... I have taken out the swim time and focus on 3x a week running a 3x a week biking and 2 strength sessions.

So far I'm taking the runs slow, building my base using a run/walk combo. I've made it up to 5min running 1min walking... though today I felt good and ran for 9 and walked for 1 To fight getting bored (because it happens quickly for me) I switch up my run pace alot during my runs.

Biking comes easily for me and I enjoy it! Though, I can't wait to get outside because over an hour on the trainer is not for me.

So, I'm looking forward to the coming weeks!

2008-02-14 7:45 AM

User image

Regular
Port Huron, MI
Happy Valentine's Day!
More Graphics at pYzam.com

Edited by jhanton 2008-02-14 7:46 AM

2008-03-02 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm things kind of quiet here. I was sick for 2 weeks, and had a overally crappy Feb with being out of town and all.

Did the NorCal 10 mile run yesterday in 78:44 placed 12 of 21 in age group and 134 of 264 overall. This was my first race farther than 5k in 22 years and well my 2nd race in the same period of time. Anyway I was really happy to finish with a sub 8 min / mile pace.

Man they had fast runners there, the top 50 folks were at a sub 6:10 min per mile pace. Oh well was a really nice event, lovely run along the Sacramento river.

Now to find a half mary as I wont be doing the Shamrock mary, not enough time between now and then I think.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Savannah5799----FULL Rss Feed  

of 6