BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-12-08 5:58 PM

Expert
Subject: Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED
NAME: Bajapat/Patrick Holland/ TRI-Hippo
STORY: I was a swimmer most of my life and believe it or not in HS i though the guys who where doing triathlons where crazy. Boy have things changed. Last year was my first sprint tri and I'm hooked. IRON MAN here I come. Anyways I'm a FIrefighter paramedic so I have a good knowledge of the body and what can go wrong with it. I'm very in to wwesterner thought and medicine. Although i'm still not a good runner i'm sure I can get there and drag a few of you guys with me.
FAMILY STATUS: Single/ with 6 y/o daugther/future triathlete
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm begining to get ready for an OLY this year and will focus my training in that area
THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 sprint tri's in the CT area
2008 RACES: Mooseman Oly, relay Mooseman IRON(swimmer) Ridgefield sprint tri
WEIGHTLOSS:30 lbs this year(250-6'0"right now)
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Well I spend a lot of time on BT...LOL. Really I enjoy helping people it's in my nature. I will not give off the cuff answers to my group i will research any questions and give good answers. I love inspiring people and really want to help this site grow. One thing I really want is people who are in the same area or at least able to travel to the same race. This is somethign i think that wil gel a group together.

Edited by Bajapat 2007-12-27 5:12 PM

2007-12-11 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1090299

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: RE: Bajapat's Mentor group open

Hi Pat,

I'd like to join your mentor group - I like that you are setting your sights on an Oly like me (all this Ironman talk kinda intimidates me!!).  I am really just a road biker, learned how to competitively swim last year, and get through the run (quite slowly)...  became a triathlete in September of this year (Danskin Women's tri - NY metro).   I set a goal to do the Philadelphia Tri in June 2008 (among other things!) and am FREAKING OUT about it!!

I am in Delaware - I see that you were talking about preferring that your group be close to CT - do I qualify? 

-Jen

2007-12-11 8:34 PM

Expert
nope your more then welcome it looks like your doing some tri's up in this area..

You've got some good goals there....

and it looks like you headed in the right direction..

I really wan tto have the group connect so a group meet some time down the line will be attepmted.. for a nice brick or a group tri..

Welcome again
2007-12-13 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hey Pat,

Great!  Here's some more information about me:

NAME: Jen (that's a tough one to pull from my screenname)

STORY: Joined BT in Spring '07 after I decided to seriously train for my first solo sprint tri. (I did a relay tri at Danskin in '06 and was like - 'I think I could do the whole thing...').  I am a road biker first, that is what I love to do.  I HATE to run - seriously, it's such a struggle for me, and I was pretty psyched to finish a 5-mile race in November!  I took swim lessons last winter/spring to learn how to do laps.  I have always been able to swim 'so that I wouldn't drown' but I realized competitive swimming was a whole diiferent game.  I have learned to love it in the pool.  It also might be my favorite part of a tri, because it's quiet (assuming your head stays in the water!)

Oh- one more thing- I do all of this because I have fought being ~50-60lbs overweight my whole life.  I lost 10 already, am planning to lose another 15 by the 10-miler in may..... then we'll see after that.  I feel for the first time like I am losing weight the correct and honest way!  I also race because I am strongly driven by goals - so setting them gets my butt moving!

FAMILY STATUS: Single.  I am 'super-Aunt-Jenny' to 5 niceces & 2 nephews...  they fulfill the kid dose while I look for mister right. Kiss

CURRENT TRAINING:  I am trying to figure out how to feather training for a 10-miler (May) into my training for my 'reach goal' - an olympic distance tri, in June.  I did the math and 20 weeks from the oly is the third week in Jan - so I am currently just doing all sorts of stuff- step aerobics, etc.  Anything to burn off the christmas cookies!!  I am also getting psyched for ski season!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did swim/bike of Philly women's tri, completed first solo tri at Danskin in September, 8K at Philly Marathon, various 5K's.

2008 RACES:  Broad St Run (10mi), sprint tri in May, Philly oly tri in June, then I am undecided after that. 

Looking forward to the '08 season! 

2007-12-13 5:45 PM

User image

MotoQueen
2007-12-14 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Hi!

Can I join your group? I think I have a lot of similarities to this group.

My background: Completed my first 2 sprint tris this past summer - the Danskin in July and a local one in September -- and quickly became addicted! I was definitely a couch - to - sprint success story following the 20 week BT program. I bought my first ever road bike last March and prior to training had never run more than 4 miles and hadn't been seriously swimming in about 20 years since my days on the summer swim team in high school.

2008 Goals/Races: doing the Mooseman Oly as part of Team in Training (www.teamintraining.com) for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. Signed up for the NYC Oly in July. Signed up for the Timberman Sprint in August and will probably do a local sprint in May to kick off the season and one in between mooseman & nyc for good measure.

Current Training: still trying to figure out a smart training regime. currently i'm doing a 12 week strength training program provided to me by a triathlon coach, spinning 2x/week, swimming 1250 - 1400 yds 2x/week using drills from swimplan.com, running 3 - 5 miles 2x week.

Biggest Challenge so far is figuring out all the gadgets & gizmos to help me improve. For instance, I could really use some help figuring out the whole heart rate monitor thing! And would love some nutrition advice, etc. I'm not looking to lose weight, if anything I want to maintain and possibly loose a few % of body fat.

Other vital stats: name: Lisa, Age: 34, Single currently living in the boston area.

Thanks!

2007-12-14 3:14 PM

Expert
Of course you can join in......

I've read your boi quickly as i'm out the door to see the new warren miller film(I love skiing)..

But hopefully we get one or two more people so we can start talking about training stuffs..
2007-12-14 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hey Pat, I saw 'Playground' last week - it was AWESOME!!  I also got lucky and won the raffle to qualify for the drawing of a free week in Utah / or Jeep Liberty.  I'll let you know 1/9/08 if I won!!  They also gave me a VHS copy of one of his movies from '02 to watch......   I am going on a ski trip in Jan. to Alta/Snowbird/Brighton .....  Also I am going skiing tomorrow locally - to Blue Mountain.....  Not the greatest, but a good way to break in my new equipment.  (which I bought 2 years ago and haven't used yet..... long story!)

Let me know what you think of the movie!

And Welcome Lisa! Yea sounds like you and I have a similar background..... and have set similar goals for next season.  Great to have you in the group. 

2007-12-17 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Hi Pat:

I'd like to join your group. I'm new to the online forum world, so bear with me as I figure all of this out.

I started working out in 2005 because I was overwieght and my Dr. said my blood pressure was too high. I'm a very goal oriented person, so the only way I could stay motivated was to have a "race" to look forward to. I love to swim and bike and I can tolerate a run, so I decided to try triathlons.

In 2006 I completed 4 sprint distance tri's. In 2007 I completed 3 sprint and 2 olympic distance tri's.

My goal for 2008 is to qualify for and compete in the 2008 USAT Olympic distance Age Group Nationals (which happen to be in Portland, OR area where I live). The NW qualifying race is in Moses Lake, WA in June, so that is my "A" race.

About me: I'm 50, married, no kids, work full time, and have 5 dogs (1 Siberian Husky, 1 Choc Lab, 1 German Shorthair Pointer, and 2 English Pointers). In my spare time I train for triathlons and provide a foster home for shelter dogs. I currently have a mom and 5 puppies that are awaiting adoption. The local shelter did not have room to keep them, so rather than euthanize them, they are living with me until they are adopted.

Looking forward to getting some great advice and support from the group!!

Sandi
2007-12-17 8:07 PM

Expert
OK well we shall get started on this and hope a few more come in..

We have two people around me and one from far out west. (happy to have you sandi but i don't think you'll amke a group training )

So Sandi has two years in and looks like she is ready to tear it up...

Lisa is doing well but needs help with the techo babble and getting ready for mooseman

And Jen needs a little help swimmimg and running..

OK guys this is a two way street so now we will get down to the brass tack's of thing every monday we will check in and ask one question to the group and see if we can get that worked out during the week.. and remeber nothing is two basic..

OK well I'm heavly dosed out with cough meds so i'll get in to HR stuff tomorrow
2007-12-18 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1106919

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: heart rate monitor question
Great! I'm excited to start to get to everyone (well, as much as you can via this internet thing!)

here's my question about the heart rate monitors. I'm looking to make a purchase very soon, hopefully by the end of the year.

I've scanned the message boards and searched the web and have narrowed my choice down to a Polar brand.

What I am not sure of, is the exact model.

I'm thinking the RS200, but also considering the CS300.

I have heard that the foot pod is not worth the money as the distance from the device can cause it to be sporadic and inaccurate - I agree with this logic and do not necessarily need/want to get the foot pod unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I am waffling on the difference between the RS & CS versions. I currently have a low-end Cat Eye computer on my bike which tracks my mph, avg mph, time and distance and has the ability to track this for 2 rides. I feel this is adequate for me so am unclear what the added benefit i would get from the CS version of a heart rate monitor.

I also want one that will hold up in the pool and open water.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2007-12-18 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1107792

Expert
Subject: RE: heart rate monitor question
http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/multisport/pdf/RS800_Story.pdf

is the one from polar i was looking at..

the cycle one says it's good for starting triathlete's but I've always made a buy then regreted not getting the better one..

So i would get the best one your money could buy

I'm waiting to see if garmin is going to match the polar 3 bar water restance

2007-12-18 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
I have a Polar S150 and the battery just died on it. I have to send it back to have the battery changed, which I probably won't do because I've been having problems with the buttons working properly. I'm looking at buying another heart rate monitor. Does anyone have any experience with other brands or other models of Polar?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 101 which I use for distance and cadence work, so am really only looking for a basic heart rate monitor. I don't even use all of the features on my current Polar, so not sure that I would make good use of the more sophisticated models.

Edited by swgraham 2007-12-18 1:06 PM
2007-12-18 9:22 PM

Expert
Heart rates...

Now I know there are soooooooo many zones but in the book slow burn (look at my log page) Stu has an excellent way of discribing the three major zones

Now i can't remeber the name but I remeber the discriptions.

once i find my book I'll give you guys more info but for now...

zone one...

it's the lowwest heart rate zone he discribes it as moving slowly though time and being able to hear and see everything. It has an alreartness to it the world is open for you to feel with all your senses.

next is a hyper accute zone which is being in the present on the edge. you still have infomation coming in from your senses but they are acute.. and filtering some things out. this is where fat burning occours...

third is your highest zone.. it's where your burning sugar alone and your in a tunnel things are moving very fast your past the edge and you almost crashing...

I'll find that book tomorrow and let you know more..

2007-12-19 9:35 AM

User image

Michigan
Hi, Pat...I'm not from way out west, but from MI...and it sounds like this group is a lot like me! I ran two sprint tri's this summer (I was the slow, fat one in the back!!) I am a road biker that decided to try a tri, and I think I might be hooked! I'm looking for some encouragement to get back into my training, since I've been firmly lodged on my couch since my last tri in September and I have a goal of running at least two tri's and a 10k in 2008. Can I join your group??
2007-12-19 9:40 AM

Expert
come on in then...

tell us alot more about yourself.. your limiters and your strong points....

we want to know it all

2007-12-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1109502

User image

Michigan
Okay...here goes! I am a 47-year-old married mother of two teenagers working as an engineering project leader. So...I'm already busy, but decided that I might need to do something for myself. I've been a roadie for about 12 years, usually doing a century or two with my sister for many of those 12 years. It was her idea to do a tri. She wanted to do a triathlon before she turned 40 (she's two years younger than me)...she didn't, but I thought about it for a while. Craziness!! I signed up for our local triathlon on Jan 2, 2007..and started training. I had no idea what I was doing. I read everything I could get my hands on about running and swimming. My biggest concern was running...I'm about 30 lbs heavier than I should be, and it takes a lot of energy to move all that! Coasting on a bike, or floating in the water didn't concern me too much. Anyway....I managed to get myself in good enough shape to finish the sprint tri in my home town, then did another one two weeks later in Michigan's Upper Penninsula (UP) swimming in Lake Superior....brrrrr! I struggled with that one! My son was cheering from the beach...that's the only thing that kept me going. Teenage sons don't often cheer for their mom! I haven't moved since....maybe I'm still trying to warm up?

Goals: Finish the long distance tri (not quite olympic distance) in Sanford in Aug and finish the UP sprint in under 1:30. Make training a part of my life, not just a thing I do.

Limiters: I'm easily convinced that I can work out "tomorrow", I'm overweight and not particulary fast. I'm also intimidated by those that are not overweight and are fast! So it's easier to stay on the couch.

Strong points: Once I get going, all that momentum is hard to stop. I have some hidden competitive electrons in my brain that come out when I'm training...but, only then. I don't give up easily.

That's probably it for now....thanks! I'm really looking forward to putting down the Christmas cookies and getting back on my feet!
2007-12-19 11:38 AM

Expert
Well the first thing you need to do is open up your logs and start working out..

how can we motavate you if we can't see that your doing.
2007-12-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1109750

User image

Michigan
I'm working on all that "forum" stuff. I'm not new to computers, but I'm still learning this website and forum info.

You won't find much on my log in recent days, but I promise, I'll get going.

By the way....besides being "allez mama" (go Mama go!!!) I also go by Mary.
2007-12-20 2:20 PM

Expert
Ok now that everyone in the group is live....and logging..

our goals seem to be equal...

swim 2 miles

bike 50 miles

run 10k 6.6 miles

is that pretty much right...

I know swimming and biking is long but hey let's go for it..

PS put e mail notifitactions on so you know when something is posted.
2007-12-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1112092

User image

Veteran
Delaware

so do you mean work us all up to being able to do those distances?  Sounds good to me!! 

(as I munch on peppermint bark - yum). 

Hey, have you ever set monthly distance goals?  I have seen that but have not really ever done it for myself.  REally I have only gone thru one training program (20wks) for a tri and I was so immersed in that, I never went outside the plan.  But, maybe as a group we can do it?  Or at least have each person set their own goals?

Welcome to all the new members!!

-Jen

2007-12-26 4:07 PM

Hi,

Are you still looking for people to join? If so, can I? I am local – NYC!

My Background: Completed NYC Tri with TNT in 2005. Signed-up for another one but had an injury (non-training related). For 2006 decided to start training for a marathon to improve my running and have done NYC, Chicago (well, the first 17 miles of it this yr) and Philly. Running Miami Marathon on 1/27/08. When I signed-up with TNT I didn’t know how to swim properly but took additional lessons, etc. Continued taking some more in beginning of 2007 but my swimming still sucks.

2008 Goals/Races: Harriman Sprint in May, NYC Tri, looking for other suggestions but low on cash. A “friend” entered me into the lotto for Alcatraz and I secured a spot two yrs in a row but don’t think my swimming skills will be up to par in time to do it.

Current Training: Finishing up training for Miami Marathon. Meanwhile doing some cross training and strength training. (Am relatively new to this site so still haven’t filled-out the training log, etc – but will).

Biggest Challenge: Staying motivated esp on cold, wintery nights. Actually, getting to the pool…no issues to run in the cold or go to the gym. If I have a plan to follow and am “accountable” I am very good about sticking to schedules.

Other Stats: 33 yr old female, single, 1 dog, 2 cats, live in Manhattan

Cheryl

2007-12-26 9:15 PM

Expert
Good your in... I think we'll take one more and then get down to the brass tacks of things...

2007-12-27 3:41 PM

Yeah! Thanks...I look forward to this mentoring group and training!

Happy Holidays!

Cheryl
2007-12-27 4:12 PM

User image

Hamden, CT
If you still have space, I would like to join your group. I live in Hamden, Connecticut, so I'm close.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11