BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1175992

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: RE: Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED

Bajapat - 2008-01-25 12:50 PM http://www.teammossman.com/SoBeMossmanTriathlon2007Info.htmWhat do you guys think about this one??? for the group tri??? Anyone else find anything you guys like

That works for me since I currently have no race planned in the month of July.  I assume it's the sprint tri??

2008-01-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1090299

User image

Veteran
Delaware
ooh!  we made it to page 6
2008-01-26 4:49 PM

User image

Hamden, CT
Yes, 11:30 (chi) then 2:30 (swim) is what I was thinking. It's about a two hour drive up to MIT from here, is parking crazy? I would be willing to do the SoBe Mossman Triathlon in July. My A race is near the end of June, so that would work out well to keep me in the groove.
2008-01-28 8:51 AM

Expert
Well it's monday.. does anyone have anything they want to address???

I want to stay up there ,there is talk on the mass forum about a dinne rthe night before..

How is the water comeing I slacked off this weekend and i'm feeling the Effects..

I'll pay for the chi tonight...

I've got some sutdying to do so i'll see you guys tonight..

DRINKY DRINKY

2008-01-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1179383

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Bajapat - 2008-01-28 9:51 AM Well it's monday.. does anyone have anything they want to address???

Yes.  I'd like to talk about recovery drinks.  Honestly, I feel like I am too much of a rookie to worry about a recovery drink after a workout.  In the AM,  I go straight home and eat (more like INHALE) my breakfast, which consists of Kashi and 1% milk.....  After evening workouts, it depends but usually it's a power bar or whatever I can forage from my cabinets.  I was reading in runner's world about the drinks....  should I start using them? Esp since I'm going to be upping my workouts come 2/4?

2008-01-28 4:51 PM

Expert
You should Always have somethign after your workouts. I'm a wierd one here as I'm not in to the power bar/gel/block thing...

Saying that I've been doing a green drink before and after and durning work outs..

then i have something to eat after.. some chicken,some fruit just something...

2008-01-28 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1180493

User image

Veteran
Delaware
what's a green drink??
2008-01-28 9:04 PM

Expert
this talks about green drinks..

http://www.getgreenergy.com/green-drink-powder.html

Meets your Daily Nutritional Needs
Metabolizes Fat, Boosts Immunity, Detoxifies Your System
Contains Anti-Cancer Green Tea Extract
Increases your energy naturally, without stimulants!
Is 100% natural, just like nature intended
Has added Probiotics & Digestive Enzymes for Healthy Digestion
Has added MSM for Joint Health
Contains the Antioxidant content equivalent to 2lbs of green veggies
Contains No sugar or artificial sweeteners
Promotes Alkaline pH
Tastes Great and Mixes easily in water!

Nearly every major health organization recommends eating five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables per day to protect against degenerative diseases. Yet, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, less than 9% of American adults consume the recommended servings. Why are Green foods a critical part of your diet? ·

• Green foods contain chlorella and other powerful phytonutrients that boost the immune system, detoxify the body, and purify the blood.

• They also contain potent amounts of antioxidants such as vitamin C, and E and beta-cartotene that help prevent the ravages of age-accelerating oxidation.

• Green foods boost immunity against disease and have been shown to assist in preventing cancer.

• They contain alkaline-forming minerals: sodium, potassium, magnesium, which help prevent the body from becoming acidic. (Remember: An acidic environment promotes diseases, particularly of inflammation, including cancer, heart disease, arthritis, digestive issues, and respiratory disorders.)

• Green foods also aid digestion and decrease inflammation.

If you go to any whole food store they will have it there.. you really need to drink it twice a day and you'll see a spike in energy.. I know when i don't take it i feel it.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=GU-1...

2008-01-29 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1179574

User image

Regular
Hi Jen,

I just met w/my coach last night to get my training plan for the season and we had a long talk about the whole nutrition/recovery drink thing and here's the basic rule of thumb he gave me as a guide -- for your recovery workouts in the base phase you probably won't need a recovery drink training for an oly distance. drinks/gus/gels, etc should be worked in to workouts lasting 45 min in duration or longer (this is also reinforced in Joe Friel's triathlete training bible which i've been reading).

the nutrition/recovery window after a workout is the same length as your workout - so for example if you worked out for 2 hours, you have a 2 hour window to replace the lost carbs with a recovery drink/low glycemic carbs/grains. for me (and you seem to be somewhere around the same level as me from what i can tell) prior to a workout I should have some protein about 1 hour before the workout for example, in the mornings I have 1 banana, 1/2 glass oz and some protein as soon as I get up to by the time I'm at the gym I'm good to go. during workout refuel at about 3 clif blocks or 1/2 power bar or 1 power gel every 45 minutes and 1 bottle of sports drink (endurox or the accelerade in the 4:1 ratio have been recommended to me). i need to re-check the sports drink thing, i have this all written down at home so if i'm off on any of this i'll repost.

i was also recommended to have 1 scoop of designer whey protein with 4 oz of water in the morning and before 1 scoop before bed.
2008-01-29 2:42 PM

Hi All,

Now that the Miami Marathon is over with, I will start my tri training soon. As of now, I only have the NYC Tri planned on July 22nd. I can’t do too many as they are too expensive (and have to rent a car, etc, etc)

But if things work out I would like to do a Sprint or Oly with all of you – or most of you.

So first off, I am thinking of getting a trainer to ride at home with. Does anybody have any suggestions on these? I have a Cannondale – are trainers universal and what about the rollers?

Also, does anybody have any advice on swimming? The reason I have such a bad time keeping up my swimming in winter is that I have awful allergies here in NYC in winter/Spring – basically until the summer and humidity. The first few yrs living up here I mistook the allergies for being constantly sick all the time (it was so bad that I was embarrassed to tell friends I was sick again!) but have since learned I am basically allergic to everything in Manhattan and some histamines that are only released in the air when it is 32 degrees or less (so yes, I am allergic to the cold according to 2 doctors – ha ha) Now, the reason I am telling you all this is b/c this makes for one horrible experience in the pool in winter…as it seems to aggravate the allergy symptoms for the next few days when I am out of the pool. So yes, swimming sucks for me.

Also wanted to chime in about the recovery food/drinks. If doing long runs or speed work runs, chocolate milk is a great recovery drink (some people use Ensure but I have never tried it) since it has the right amount of carbs to protein mix.

I will send a Miami Marathon report at a later time. Have to get back to work! ? And yes, I am taking it easy this week as I got a bit beat up at Miami – not sure why but this was the first marathon of 4 that I was sore after!

Cheryl
2008-01-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1182165

User image

Regular
Welcome back Cheryl!

can't wait to read your race report. after reviewing trainers for a few months, talking to people at different bike shops, etc, I ended up getting a cycle ops fluid 2 - it was between either that or the kinetic - there's actually a couple threads in the gear & reviews forum as well ( i started one of them a while back)

Anyway, I got it and am thrilled! It's extremely quiet, easy to set up, etc. I also have a Cannondale road bike - it's a cannondale synapse.

I got my trainer online at discounttrainers.com for a really good price. you'll also need a mat and riser.

2008-01-29 4:28 PM

User image

Michigan
I'm pretty much clueless about the pre/post workout nutrition...so, I'm learning from you guys. I don't often get more than an hour or so workout in at a time, so I'm not too concerned about it right now. As the weather gets warmer, I'll be putting in some long bike rides, so this will be good information for me.

I have an ancient trainer (at least 15 years old) and I don't know what kind it is...it starts with an "M"...I would not recommend keeping a trainer this long!! Question for you guys....trainer with my bike or a really cool Spin bike??? I have some biker friends that have Spin bikes rather than trainers, and I've been thinking of going that route. What do you guys think?

Can't wait to hear the Marathon Story, Cheryl, I'm in awe!!
2008-01-29 4:38 PM

User image

Michigan
One more thing I forgot to mention....a few of you were talking about going to a ChiRunning seminar at the Expo? I took a ChiRunning class back in October. It was great...although, I can't say that it increased my speed (yet), the technique really helped with reducing knee pain. I know as I build endurance, and continue the Chi practice, I'll really be a better runner. It feels really weird, and a few of the experienced runners in my class had a tough time modifying their gait. Make sure to keep an open mind about this technique!!
2008-01-30 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Lisa - thanks for sharing your coaching session.  That really is helpful!!  question - when are we out of the 'base' period and onto 'ramp'?  I am starting my 20 wk training monday - am I moving from 'base' to 'ramp' that day?  Or, is it more when I feel like I am being pushed outside my normal fitness limits?  

Regardless, I think I'll make an effort to watch my nutrition before/after workouts when they get longer in duration and might try a slimfast shake too. (I actually have some in my cabinet, I tried it once and gave up because of the searing headaches from the calorie deficit!)

Cheryl, I was looking into trainers at one point too (decided not to get one, I am either a spinner or outside cycler - don't like being at home)..  I found out that the 'fluid' type is the best (lowest noise, best tension adjustment control).  Good luck finding that!  Also -congrats on finishing the Marathon,  I'm looking forward to your race report.  How did you feel that you did?

Pat - so, the million dollar question on green drinks - do you like how it tastes?  ...and be honest!!

Re: Chi running.  I have never heard of this before, and so I looked it up on the internet.  I found it interesting, and even went as far as ordering the book off Amazon.  I tried front-foot strike today and DEFINITELY felt the difference in my knees!  MUCH better.  And I feel like my RPE went down.  I am excited to see if it can help me progress faster with my running ability (which was nightmarishly tough at first)

2008-01-30 9:36 AM

Expert
WOW Lot's for me to read.. This is nice....

OK A quick reminder about water... I've been keep track i just need to catch up with it on my log.. I've been a little under where i would like to be thoug.

Trainers..

I got a fluid and a set of rollers..(i really need to get on the rollers.)
If anyone who lives near me wants to try them out your mor then welcome to borrow them for a week or two.

Green drink..
It's not the best BUT the engery i feel from them GREATLY out wieghs the swampwater i'm drinking.. and when you thirsty.. where it just doesn't matter that much..
Think wheat grass...

Again.. I did all those sugar/sugar things.. I'm just not into them.. so you'l have to take the lead in that area. I know the last time i tried sport beans..(after being off of sugar for a while) I had my skin crawl in about 10 min from the sugar rush... then i CRASHED.. so it was proof enough for me to stay away from crap like that.

Not sure about the swimming problem... that kind of sucks.. and taking meds all the time isn't something i would want to do.. sorry But if it was your stroke then it's something i could help you with..

anyways I bought my book and will be getting your stuff out to you tomorrow during the day..

Patrick

WATER WATER
2008-01-31 7:05 PM

Expert
Are we still here????

2008-01-31 9:43 PM

User image

Michigan
Are you lonely? We're all busy working on our training and running to the bathroom because we're drinking so much water!

Busy day, just got done with a nice long run on my treadmill. We've got another winter storm warning in effect, and I can just see the snow starting now. I remembered to close my garage door this time, so no worries about a frozen car when I try to go to work.

Is this the weekend for your sports expo? I'd love to go, but it'd be a bit of a drive for me...so, you guys will have to post what fun stuff you found.
2008-01-31 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1188082

Expert
allezmama - 2008-01-31 10:43 PM

Are you lonely? We're all busy working on our training and running to the bathroom because we're drinking so much water!

Busy day, just got done with a nice long run on my treadmill. We've got another winter storm warning in effect, and I can just see the snow starting now. I remembered to close my garage door this time, so no worries about a frozen car when I try to go to work.

Is this the weekend for your sports expo? I'd love to go, but it'd be a bit of a drive for me...so, you guys will have to post what fun stuff you found.

Tell me about it I was on a call and was DAMM i really need to use the bathroom..

Nope the expo is on the 30th of march so it's a ways off. I wish it was sooner... I'd love some running tips.. but i'll just get the book i guess.....

Doesn't it feel good to have all that water in ya...
2008-02-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1183359

User image

Regular
JenO Trigirl - 2008-01-30 9:36 AM

Lisa - thanks for sharing your coaching session.  That really is helpful!!  question - when are we out of the 'base' period and onto 'ramp'?  I am starting my 20 wk training monday - am I moving from 'base' to 'ramp' that day?  Or, is it more when I feel like I am being pushed outside my normal fitness limits?   TE]

Hi Jen!
I think our "A" races are both the weekend of june 7th/8th - is that the weekend you are shooting for for an oly? I officially kicked off my training this week and the first 8 week block is the "base" phase where all my training is in Z1 or ZR, for me Z1 is 138 to 151 on the bike and 148 to 161 on the runs. The ZR is my recovery zone after long bikes or runs - I only have a few workouts in there but those zones are 122 to 138 on bike and 132 to 148 on run -- so now I'm ALOT slower than i've been previously training at, however, I feel great - no fatigue. After the base phase comes 8 weeks of build where intensity increases. Hope this helps.

2008-02-01 8:45 AM

Expert
Sooooo It's another month down.....

And yes we have another challenge for you guys........

This was a suggeston so let's do it...

we now track our water some people are doing better then others at this.. (hint hint log your water)

Now one of our members wants some help with getter thier greeens and beans

Soooooooo Now it's time to start recording fruits and veggies...

now a green drink (if you like the tatse) counts for a few(and it's an easy way to get your water in also WIN WIN)

Now you will be getting some mail I hope you guys like it..

2008-02-01 9:32 AM

Good morning...

Wanted to see what everybody eats for breakfast? My breakfast routine that I have been following for 8 yrs isn't working too well anymore...I am starving within 30 mins. 3/4 cup oatmeal, 3-5 egg whites and a serving of fruit mixed in the oatmeal. So looking for some ideas that will keep me energized for oh, at least 2 hours!!!

I eat a lot and am always hungry. I do tend to get filled up fast when eating but am hungry soon after. errr...any good food ideas?

By the way, if you mix apple juice with the green drink, it helps immensely on taste!

Happy Friday!

Cheryl

2008-02-01 10:56 AM

User image

Michigan
Have you tried the Steel cut oats? Also known as Irish oatmeal? It's really good and filling. I usually make a batch (4 cups at a time) and put it in 1c serving containers...then nuke for breakfast. I usually add some type of fruit or berries and have a container of ff yogurt. This works for me. Eggs or egg subs...never filled me up, even though protein was supposed to be better at sticking with you, I was always looking for something else an hour later....like you.
2008-02-01 11:32 AM

The steel cuts are the ones I eat..3/4 cup to 1 cup per day...along side with the fruit (usually cup of berries) and the egg whites...still hungry 30 mins later. :-(
2008-02-01 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1188680

Expert
Guerita - 2008-02-01 10:32 AM

Good morning...

Wanted to see what everybody eats for breakfast? My breakfast routine that I have been following for 8 yrs isn't working too well anymore...I am starving within 30 mins. 3/4 cup oatmeal, 3-5 egg whites and a serving of fruit mixed in the oatmeal. So looking for some ideas that will keep me energized for oh, at least 2 hours!!!

I eat a lot and am always hungry. I do tend to get filled up fast when eating but am hungry soon after. errr...any good food ideas?

By the way, if you mix apple juice with the green drink, it helps immensely on taste!

Happy Friday!

Cheryl

Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, Scotch oats, or Irish oats.

those are the ones I like also.....

Brakefast is something that goes though me fast also..

Maybe tempering it with lots of water will help

Ya I was told not to mix the green drink with juice.. Part of the stuff the green drink does is lowwer your PH and the juice increases it..

2008-02-01 12:51 PM

Well the followig fruits you CAN mix with the green juice as they are alkalizing:

Lemons
Lime
Grapefruit
Watermelon
Tomato
Avocado
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bajapat's Mentor group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11