Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-12-08 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: sbreaux group - CLOSED!!!!

NAME: sbreaux / Scott

STORY: My name is Scott and this will be my third year of triathlons.  After being a couch potato for years, I decided to start running.  Why I don't know, because I was never a runner and probably never run more than a mile in my life.  I was over 200 pounds and very out of shape.  My running eventually led me to a few 5ks then a half marathon.  I decided to run a full after a year.  Then a friend suggested I enter a triathlon.  I had no swim training at all.  So I just got out there and started swimming.  25 yards at a time, then 50.  After several months, I was up to 2000 yard workouts.  But it took a lot of work in the pool.  I was also not a cyclist.  But I got a road bike and that came pretty naturally to me.  It has since become one of my strengths.  I entered a few triathlons in 2006, and worked my way up to Olympic and Half Iron distance in 2007.  Through this all, I was able to lose about 35 lbs.  Triathlon has now become part of my life, and I am grateful with the way I feel, both physically and mentally. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys (age 5 & 3) and 1 girl (age 9 months).  Balance of training and family is always an issue and one that I constantly strive to improve on.  Having a full-time job, a family, and wanting to maintain a full training schedule sometimes clash.  I need to do a better job of making family come first.

CURRENT TRAINING:  This past year, I followed the BT Half Ironman training plan for my first crack at the distance in August and it worked well.  I generally like to put in about 100 running miles, 350-400 bike miles and close to 20,000 yards in the pool during my peak.  I take rest days when I feel worn down, not religiously once a week or something like that.  It works for me.  I do like to vary my workouts, putting specific focus weeks for each discipline during a build phase.  I use a 3 week build followed by a recovery week as I build towards my races.  Because I work full-time, I utilize the gym a fair amount, especially in winter.  You can complete triathlons by running on the treadmill and riding the exercise bike.  I'm living proof.  But I do try to complete my workouts outdoors if possible.  I'll work out early in the morning and after work, whenever I can get it in.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2007, I completed the 5430 Boulder Series (sprint, Olympic and Half Ironman - A race, roughly one month apart starting in June).  I also finished one sprint in September then my last A race was the Silverman Half in Las Vegas. 

2008 RACES:  In 2008, my motto is go long.  I have 3 Half Ironmans tentatively on the schedule (Playtri Half in Dallas, Boulder Long Course, and Las Vegas Silverman Half) with my A race being Ironman Couer D'Alene in late June. 

WEIGHTLOSS: As I said earlier, I've lost 35 lbs with a change in my diet and consistent exercise.  I would like to race about 5-10 lbs lighter in 2008, so that will be a struggle.  I love food, and my wife likes to bake sweets.  Plus with young children, we always have what I would normally consider junk food.  Very tempting stuff.........

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I won't have all of the answers, but I would like to share with others what has worked for me.  I like to motivate others and would love some in return.  Together we can accomplish the goals we set forth, whether it's running your first 5k to entering your first sprint triathlon.    

Edited by sbreaux 2007-12-16 3:06 PM

2007-12-11 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1090518

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: RE: sbreaux group - OPEN

Hey Scott,

How 'bout a Tiger on your team (LSU Tiger that is, of course)

I just got the bug for triathlons in Sept.  Decided that exercising with a goal is a great motivator.  Started doing the challenges in the challenge forums in Nov.  And the weight is starting to finally fall off.

Gotta get home to cook dinner.  Will post a bio later, that is if you're okay with me being around.

THANKS

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

2007-12-11 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

That would be awesome, but don't expect any inspires the evening of January 7th, 2008.

Welcome

2007-12-11 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Hi Y'All, I'm Heather

Graduated in Kinesiology from LSU, attained MS in Exercise Physiology from USU.  Originally from La and consider myself a true bleeder of purple and gold.  33 and married with 2 kids, dog (my only daughter), and cat.  Between family and work (rec. coordinator for county) I hadn't been aggressively working out for several years until October.  Now am 30 lbs overweight and decided that enough is enough, I've gotta get back in shape.  I have the knowledge to get back into shape, but decided a tri would be great motivation and force me.  Aside from assisting with coordinating a tri, I know nothing about the specifics of the sport. 

My weaknesses would be.... 1.)  Just learning how to swim (grew-up ON the water, not in it - at least not without a lifejacket)  2.)  Never really was a runner until latter years in La, then when I moved to altitude I never really adjusted to running (finally getting there)  3.) Haven't biked since '99 and that was mtn biking.  Haven't been on slick tires since... maybe '90 (used to ride around on the back roads when I was a teenager)   4.)  Chips Ahoy Chewy and Lucky Charms  5.) Time limitations

My strengths would be....  1.)  I work in a fitness center, so I really have no excuse to not workout.  2.)  I'm a tightwad and already paid my money for the first race.  - gotta accomplish it  3.)  I'm pretty good at psyching-up myself and others.  4.) I'm a total fanatic about cross training!!!!

My Goals....  Sprint Tri June 7th,  Back Country Pack Trip sometime in June (haven't been since '02), weigh in at 135 by April 1st.

Well, as you can tell...  I'm a chatty one... buuuttt I've got kids...  I'm sure everyone who ends up on this thread "team" will accomplish lots and I look forward to sharing the journey towards our goals together.  Now I've got to get the kids to bed and pack-up for my first ski day tomorrow.

2007-12-12 5:24 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi Heather.  I grew up in LA. too and also bleed purple and gold, even though I graduated from *cough cough* USL.  I see you're getting in the pool this winter, that's great.  Please log all of your workouts so we can see your progress. 

Welcome

2007-12-13 11:50 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Hi Scott,
My name is Kevin. I was hoping to join your group. I am not a newby but definitely could use the comradery and motivation. I seem to have lost all motivation to train lately. Tomorrow will be the 1st day training in over a month. I have been distracted for various reasons and look forward to getting back into the swing of things.

STORY: First, since this seems to be a common thread, I am from LA. also. I am an avid Tiger fan (even thought Nicholls was my school of choice). This will be my 2nd season in Tri. I did 4 races last year. 1 sprint, 1 team and 2 others. Nothing too long. I am pretty rounded in all parts of tri. I love to swim, I have been a member of Aarons Cycling Team in Atlanta the last two years, and I have 5 marathons and a handfull of 1/2 marathons under my belt.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

WEIGHTLOSS: Well, this is my BIGGEST obstacle. I have put on atleast 50 lbs in the past 2-3 months. Like I said, I haven't been motivated to do anything (except eat). I plan on dropping close to 100lbs over the year.

So with this said, I hope I can contribute to your group.

2007-12-14 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Welcome.  There is always room for another Tiger's fan.  The motivation part is tough right now during the holidays.  But I think you need to set some goals for yourself, both short and long term.  The weight loss goal is awesome, but setting short term goals will go a long way to help you get there.  Maybe it's just signing up for a Jan/Feb 5 or 10k, or a cycling event.  Get something on the schedule so you are working out for a specific goal. 

Again Welcome.

2007-12-14 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Yeah, there are three of us now...  Slowly, we're growing...

Hope we haven't set the impression that you must be Tiger Fan to spend time here.  Though, it is nice to have people from back home to "hang out" with.

Welcome Kevin... Thibodeaux, huh?  Spent lots of time my sr. year in high school at René's and The Red Goose (I think that was the name) Of course that was before they changed the drinking age, not that it really mattered down there.

2007-12-14 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I would like to join your group. I will add my bio and more information this weekend. Sounds like a great group. I am from OHIO so go Bucks. This also means that most of my training now is indoors. I will write more this weekend.

Thanks
2007-12-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1102552

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Miker1818 - 2007-12-14 2:49 PM I would like to join your group. I will add my bio and more information this weekend. Sounds like a great group. I am from OHIO so go Bucks. This also means that most of my training now is indoors. I will write more this weekend. Thanks

Welcome to the group, Mike.  We won't hold the OSU thing against you.  Please let us know some more about you and what your goals are for the upcoming season. 

2007-12-14 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1102552

User image

Elite
Utah

Miker1818 - 2007-12-14 2:49 PM I would like to join your group. I will add my bio and more information this weekend. Sounds like a great group. I am from OHIO so go Bucks. This also means that most of my training now is indoors. I will write more this weekend. Thanks

CO, UT, OH.... yeah, Kevin might be the only one training outside right now....

Scott... Is this acceptable?... He's from OH, but his name is "Mike"... I'm confused... okay, maybe this will be a championship thread to see who can be the most (hehehehehe)

I'll try to recruit tnickerson... she's a Buckeye, too.

Welcome Mike!!!!

2007-12-15 7:39 AM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Welcome to the group Mike. We are now 4 strong and growing.
2007-12-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1103214

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
geauxtri - 2007-12-14 10:13 PM

CO, UT, OH.... yeah, Kevin might be the only one training outside right now....

Scott... Is this acceptable?... He's from OH, but his name is "Mike"... I'm confused... okay, maybe this will be a championship thread to see who can be the most (hehehehehe)

I'll try to recruit tnickerson... she's a Buckeye, too.

Welcome Mike!!!!

I work with a couple of Buckeyes and my employer has a big office in Columbus.  We're having our annual meeting in Dallas on January 7th-9th.  So we should have a good time watching the game.  So who names their school mascot after a nut?  HeHe.  Ok, I won't go any further.  We have a Mike from Ohio.  Does anyone know a Buck from Louisiana?

2007-12-15 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1103564

User image

Master
Colorado
Hey!  I didn't know you were one....  I just signed up with PeterAK cause he is my bud.  I read your bio.  You rock.
2007-12-15 4:59 PM

User image

You have an open spot for the North East?

I am way up in New Hampshire... I have no college affiliation, but I cheer for the University of New Hampshire Wildcats Hockey team...

I just posted a brief bio in the "introduce yourself" section, but will give you the reader's digest version:

I am John and I am in my early 30s, I play in a mens hockey league and occasionally play in softball leagues. I am not from the couch, but that is where I am starting. I did however, just quit smoking 5 months ago and want to get into better shape. I am in the military and have a background in running and I grew up spending my summers in local ponds swimming. For the past couple of weeks, I have only been running. I will be riding my bike once my bike trainer arrives in the mail. The foot of snow we got on Thursday just killed my outdoor activities.

I am eagerly awaiting January 2008 so I can sign up for my first sprint, the North Shore Triathlon by the Sea in Marblehead, Mass.

~John

Edited by Slowburn 2007-12-15 5:04 PM
2007-12-15 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Welcome John.  I know how you feel about the snow.  I haven't been able to ride my bike for a few weeks now, so all of my bike time is indoors.  I guess you do what you can.  Great to see you're signing up for a race in January.  I would suggest everyone in the group to get something on his/her respective schedule so you have something to work towards.  I know from my experience, sometimes it's hard to be motivated without something you're looking to attain.  So it could be a race, it could be weightloss, it could just be a running mileage goal.  My first one is the Playtri Half Ironman in mid April in Dallas.  I also want to lose 5 or so pounds by that race.

So far we have

Geauxtri (Heather)

Kevnb72 (Kevin)

Miker1818 (Mike)

Slowburn (John)

1-2 more people and we'll be set.

Edited by sbreaux 2007-12-15 6:05 PM

2007-12-15 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1103814

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

regimom - 2007-12-15 1:04 PM Hey!  I didn't know you were one....  I just signed up with PeterAK cause he is my bud.  I read your bio.  You rock.

That's probably best.  I don't want any troublemakers in the group. :0

2007-12-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1104048

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
NAME: Miker1818 / Mike

STORY: Well I started doing tri's before daughter was born about 7 years ago. I did about 2 seasons then my daughter was born and life got in the way. This past summer I statred back up. Running and biking was never a problem for me but the swimming was where I needed alot of work. Alittle back ground on me is that I have always been active. I played soccer in college and have been active ever since but this past summer I just decided to get serious about getting fit and finishing an Ironman in 2009. It is just one of those goals in life I have.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 girls (age 5 & 5 months).

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working on an offseason plan I got from a mag. I jujst trying to build a good base for next year. I am not sure what plan I will use for next year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2007, I finished a couple sprint tri's a one Olympic tri. Now I am hooked.

2008 RACES and goals: In 2008, My A race will be a 1/2 ironman in August ( 70.3 Steelhead)and a couple of sprint and olympic ones as well.

2007-12-16 9:35 AM

Hey Everyone,

My name is Brian and I thought this would be a great group to join.

My story is that I am brand new to this. I joined the BT a couple years ago, but did not give it a serious shot, now I am back and ready to go. I am currently a student at Cal State Fullerton and my football team is San Diego State so no one has anything to worry about there.

I have some serious weight to lose and thought that this would be a great process for doing it so I have set a goal of a 5k here in southern california at the beginning of february and I will be working on that starting today.

So if you have a spot for me I would love to join your group and start making some positive changes in my life.

Brian
2007-12-16 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1104537

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Miker1818 - 2007-12-16 8:16 AM NAME: Miker1818 / Mike STORY: Well I started doing tri's before daughter was born about 7 years ago. I did about 2 seasons then my daughter was born and life got in the way. This past summer I statred back up. Running and biking was never a problem for me but the swimming was where I needed alot of work. Alittle back ground on me is that I have always been active. I played soccer in college and have been active ever since but this past summer I just decided to get serious about getting fit and finishing an Ironman in 2009. It is just one of those goals in life I have. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 girls (age 5 & 5 months). CURRENT TRAINING: I am working on an offseason plan I got from a mag. I jujst trying to build a good base for next year. I am not sure what plan I will use for next year. THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2007, I finished a couple sprint tri's a one Olympic tri. Now I am hooked. 2008 RACES and goals: In 2008, My A race will be a 1/2 ironman in August ( 70.3 Steelhead)and a couple of sprint and olympic ones as well.

Sounds great Mike.  Given your background, you shouldn't have any trouble attaining your goals.  I used a 20 week program on BT for my first Half Iron distance and I thought it worked well.  You may want to check it out, or you can look back at my logs this past summer.

2007-12-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1104546

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

dawgnation_b - 2007-12-16 8:35 AM Hey Everyone, My name is Brian and I thought this would be a great group to join. My story is that I am brand new to this. I joined the BT a couple years ago, but did not give it a serious shot, now I am back and ready to go. I am currently a student at Cal State Fullerton and my football team is San Diego State so no one has anything to worry about there. I have some serious weight to lose and thought that this would be a great process for doing it so I have set a goal of a 5k here in southern california at the beginning of february and I will be working on that starting today. So if you have a spot for me I would love to join your group and start making some positive changes in my life. Brian

Hey Brian.  When I first saw your name, I thought we'd have a Georgia Bulldog here.  Welcome.  I think it's great that you have a Feb 5k goal.  That will keep you motivated, along with everyone here.  I was in your shoes just a couple of years ago with the weight.  You just need to get some exercise consistently and slowly change your diet.  For me, it was all cardio.  I know some people will say that strength workouts will build muscle and the muscle will help increase your metabolism, but I just did cardio.  I couldn't run a mile when I first started.  So I would run as much as I could then walk.  I did that until I could run a mile, then 2, and then just progressed from there.  Just give yourself some time, because it doesn't happen overnight.

Changing my eating habits have been a work in progress.  I love to eat.  For me, I cut out a lot of junk.  But for my main meals, I was just eating way too much.  So I worked on portion control.  I now eat a generous breakfast as I usually work out in the morning.  So I refuel.  I have a small meal mid morning, lunch, small mid afternoon snack and a light dinner.  I try to get a lot of calories in the morning, so I have time to work them off during the day.  Now, I can't say I follow that by the book, but that is my goal.  For instance, December has not been my best nutritional month.  But I know I can get back into my routine by the new year, as I have some big goals set for 2008. 

Well, enough of my rambling.

Welcome.  I think we have room for one more, then we'll close it down.

2007-12-16 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID

Scott,

I would like to join your Mentoring group.

My tri Start

Last February I came to the conclusion that I needed to loose weight (413 lbs now 281) This led to a Gasteric-bypass surgery that has let me even think of an active life. That being said people thought I was crazy when I signed up for my first sprint in September. I finished it!!!! People didn't believe it I have now done something that I am going to exceed expectations again. I have signed up for IM 70.3 Boise. I will complete it When I was in high school 20 years ago I swam ALOT I biked almost as much but Running was a vulgar word. This will be my biggest challenge.

About me;

I am 37 years old living in Lewiston, ID (about 110 miles south of CDA) I have a wife and 2 kids. I have a great wife that has not griped about me wanting tri stuff new bike, buying a wetsuit. etc

I am hoping that the mentor program will give me the information and motivation that I need to accomplish my goal.

Shawn McFarland
Lewiston, Idaho

2007-12-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1104760

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

mcfars00 - 2007-12-16 1:37 PM Scott, I would like to join your Mentoring group. My tri Start Last February I came to the conclusion that I needed to loose weight (413 lbs now 281) This led to a Gasteric-bypass surgery that has let me even think of an active life. That being said people thought I was crazy when I signed up for my first sprint in September. I finished it!!!! People didn't believe it I have now done something that I am going to exceed expectations again. I have signed up for IM 70.3 Boise. I will complete it When I was in high school 20 years ago I swam ALOT I biked almost as much but Running was a vulgar word. This will be my biggest challenge. About me; I am 37 years old living in Lewiston, ID (about 110 miles south of CDA) I have a wife and 2 kids. I have a great wife that has not griped about me wanting tri stuff new bike, buying a wetsuit. etc I am hoping that the mentor program will give me the information and motivation that I need to accomplish my goal. Shawn McFarland Lewiston, Idaho

Wow Shawn, what an accomplishment!  You've come a long way.  You have a hefty goal in front of you, but we'll help you along the way.  If you train consistently and smart, you'll have no problem in the race. 

Welcome

2007-12-16 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: sbreaux group - CLOSED!!!!

OK, our group is closed.  Here is the team:

Geauxtri (Heather)

Kevnb72 (Kevin)

Miker1818 (Mike)

Slowburn (John)

dawgnation_b (Brian)

mcfars00(Shawn)

Please log all of your workouts and allow the public to see your logs (Shawn, your logs are currently not viewable to the public).  That way, we can see your progress, and help you out if you have a question.  I guess this really starts in January, so everyone have a great holiday season.  I'll be checking in on you all every few days until the new year. 

2007-12-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1104048

User image

Master
Colorado
sbreaux - 2007-12-15 5:32 PM

regimom - 2007-12-15 1:04 PM Hey!  I didn't know you were one....  I just signed up with PeterAK cause he is my bud.  I read your bio.  You rock.

That's probably best.  I don't want any troublemakers in the group. :0

Whatever.  I'm SO going to lurk/stalk, take your pick.  Please use a capital "T" next time...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 3