Subject: RE: sbreaux group - CLOSED!!!!
Ok Please Check mine again I think I checked the correct option this time

2007-12-16 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1104957

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

mcfars00 - 2007-12-16 4:26 PM Ok Please Check mine again I think I checked the correct option this time

I see your logs now.

2007-12-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1090518

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
everyone seems to be putting in some great training. Keep up the hard work everyone.
2007-12-19 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

If you guys have any questions, you can post them here to let everyone see it, or you can inspire me.  If I don't know the answer, I'll find it for you.  Shawn asked this question about his training. 

I am 37 as well I haven't done an testing at all. I am a serious beginner when it comes to "smart" training. I have mostly used the brut force method "see bike... ride bike" Percived effort... I felt like I had a pretty tough work out but I was not destroyed. 8 hours later I am feeling fairly well to where if some one said go bike I could probably do it.

How do you do lactate threshold tests?

Shawn

Hey Shawn. There are two ways to get it done. Here is an article that discusses how to perform a field test.

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/220.htm

The other way is to have a professional do it. This is what I did. It costs roughly $100. The professional administering the test will set you up on a treadmill. After an extensive warm-up, he/she will increase the incline to 2% (I think) and slowly start increasing the speed every three minutes. At each three minute interval, he/she will your finger, take a blood sample, and measure the lactate in your system. You continue this until you can't run any faster or go any longer. Once you know your LT, you set your training zones. So on easy/recovery days, you'll maintain a HR in z1/z2. And on hard days you can push your HR into z4. Depending on your goals, you can build a training plan accordingly.

Your LT won't change much, but the pace at which you run at that HR will. So over time, you should get faster at your lactate threshold heart rate.

Scott

2007-12-20 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I am wondering about Heart Rate for offseason. I try to keep my heart rate down during runs. But if i use the method of 180 minus age 33 and add 5 I get 152 is this the number I should be doing my runs or should it be a number lower than this. Any thoughts?

Also I am looking to buy a new tri bike this winter any reccomendations.
2007-12-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1111630

User image

Elite
Utah

Miker1818 - 2007-12-20 10:09 AM I am wondering about Heart Rate for offseason. I try to keep my heart rate down during runs. But if i use the method of 180 minus age 33 and add 5 I get 152 is this the number I should be doing my runs or should it be a number lower than this. Any thoughts? Also I am looking to buy a new tri bike this winter any reccomendations.

Curious as to where you got that formula... but I think you're probably right on track.  I usu. use {(220 - age) - RHR} x intensity % (say 70/75 for off-season) + RHR  Make sure that you're totally relaxed when checking your RHR.

Hopefully Scott has more info on bike (that's where I'm a newbie)  You might want to check the gear forum as well for a variety of opinions to totally confuse you Foot in mouth

2007-12-20 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Miker1818 - 2007-12-20 10:09 AM I am wondering about Heart Rate for offseason. I try to keep my heart rate down during runs. But if i use the method of 180 minus age 33 and add 5 I get 152 is this the number I should be doing my runs or should it be a number lower than this. Any thoughts? Also I am looking to buy a new tri bike this winter any reccomendations.

First,  using all of these formulas to determine training zones should be taken with a grain of salt, because each individual is different.  But they can be used to give you a general idea.  The 180-age formula is a generic way to determine you max aerobic threshold, or the top of z2.  Below this rate, you are mostly using stored fats to fuel your workout.  Here is an article about it:

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/triathlon-training/finding-your-maximum-aerobic-heart-rate-000574.php

The best way to determine your training zones is either a field test, or have a professional lactate threshold test done.

So to answer your question, depending on where you're at in your training (and I am assuming you are doing maintenance type of workouts), most of your runs should be under 152.  Just keep them nice and comfortable.  You want to keep them easy, so you can recover much quicker.  What you are trying to do is build your endurance base before the season starts.  Maybe once a week, you can do a harder workout, whether it be a sustained 20 minute pace above 152, or some type of track/sprint workout where you're really taxing your heart rate. 

As far as tri bikes go, it would be easier if you let us know your budget.  I would definitely recommend going to a bike shop and get a bike fit done.  It usually costs around $100-150 but most shops will put that towards the bike if you buy it from them.  I have a Cervelo P2C (pic in my album) and I am really happy with it.  The 2008 version can be purchased for a little over $2000.  That is a great value for what you're getting.  Plus, the women's Kona champ just rode one to victory!

Edited by sbreaux 2007-12-20 12:04 PM
2007-12-21 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
PLease explain... (since you logged it today anyhow)  What is meant by Tempo paced swims and the ratio's?  ie today you logged 2-3 T-paced (para-phrasing,no short term memory)
2007-12-21 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1113797

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

geauxtri - 2007-12-21 1:25 PM PLease explain... (since you logged it today anyhow)  What is meant by Tempo paced swims and the ratio's?  ie today you logged 2-3 T-paced (para-phrasing,no short term memory)

OK.  I am fairly green when it comes to swimming, but here's what I've learned about the topic so far.  Your T-pace, or threshold pace, is a guide to help you improve your swim times.  I calculated my T-pace based on a 1,000 time trial I swam last week (17:13).  I did it at the beginning of my workout, so I was fresh.  And I tried to go all out for the full distance.  That equals 1:43 per hundred yards, or T-pace.  So going forward, I am going to incorporate some speed workouts where I try and push the pace slightly faster than 1:43.  Other endurance workouts will be done at slightly slower speeds.  So I know that if I start out my first speed hundred at 1:30, I probably won't be able to hold that for long.  If I am doing my endurance workouts at 2:15 per hundred, I am probably doing them too slow.  It just gives you a guideline to where you should be training.  I will do a 1,000 yd time trial every month to guage my progress.  Hopefully over a few months my times will drop. 

So in relation to my swim workout today, I was trying for 2-3 seconds under my T-pace.  The articles I've read suggest speed workouts at T minus 5 seconds, but since it's offseason, and I don't really have any swim fitness, I thought 2-3 seconds was plenty. 

Sometimes swimming can get really boring in the pool, so try and mix up your workouts.  Do 25s, 50s, 100s, do a ladder where you start with 100 yds, then do 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100.  Use swim bouys to work on your pull and use paddles to strengthen your shoulders and lats.  Drills, especially in the offseason are a great way to improve your technique.  And boy do I need work on my technique.  I don't do enough drills even though I've had my swim taped in an endless pool.  I know what I should be working on, but somehow I never do enough of that stuff. 

2007-12-21 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Okay, makes a little more sense.

I've also heard people on other threads talk about Tempo when swimming.

I found some cool stuff on you tube.  Look for Coach Janet... someone brought me there to check out touch turns and I found more.  Looks like there's some good technique tips there.

2007-12-21 7:37 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
If you are looking for more swimming info., check out triswimcoach.com. It is a great site with lots of information and tips.

2007-12-22 6:43 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I guess my budget for a new bike is between 2000 and 3000. Scott how do you like your P2C? I am looking for a bike for a bigger guy. I am 6"4 and 204 pounds. I will never be 170 pounds. I dont know if that makes any difference in what brand but I will be getting it fitted at a bike shop.
2007-12-22 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1114227

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Miker1818 - 2007-12-22 5:43 AM I guess my budget for a new bike is between 2000 and 3000. Scott how do you like your P2C? I am looking for a bike for a bigger guy. I am 6"4 and 204 pounds. I will never be 170 pounds. I dont know if that makes any difference in what brand but I will be getting it fitted at a bike shop.

Hey Mike.  I like my bike a lot.  It fits me well and it's very stiff which is good for power transfer.  But to be honest with you, any bike you get, whether it's a P2C, Kuota, Quintana Roo, Trek or Specialized will only benefit if it fits you.  So its good to hear you will have a bike fit done.  Any of the above bikes are great, and I really doubt it would make much difference for you or I to have one or the other.  For amateurs like you and me, it probably doesn't matter if one bike gives us a few more seconds over a 40k, so chose the bike that fits your frame.  All of these bikes will have slightly different geometries, so one may be better suited for your build than others.  When I went in for my fit, my guy ruled out the Kuota Kaliber even though the shop sold that line.  If your shop is not on the list below, I would ask questions about how the fit will be done.  You want them to take full body measurements, discuss with you your riding style and what your goals are,  and look at your flexibility.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/dealersurvey/fistcoaches.html

Now going from a road bike to tri-bike will help and you will be able to feel the difference. You can get into the carbon vs. aluminum vs. titanium vs. steel debate.  If I was you, I would go with carbon or titanium, with carbon probably best within your budget.   With the money you're going to spend, you will get a nice bike regardless.  

2007-12-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1114283

User image

I'm interested in any bike information you have as well. This season I will be using my mountain bike; modded with road tires, a smaller seat and areo bars (not installed yet, need the brake levers and bar end shifters). It's got an aluminum frame so it's pretty light. Eventually, I would like to get the pedals with the clips.

My question now is: I am adding things to this bike to make it more adaptable for tris, but what next If I want to upgrade to a better bike? I would want to re-use most (or all) of these parts. Am I limiting myself by what I am adding now or should I just use the bike as is? Any info would be appreciated!

~John
2007-12-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1115056

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Slowburn - 2007-12-23 2:41 PM I'm interested in any bike information you have as well. This season I will be using my mountain bike; modded with road tires, a smaller seat and areo bars (not installed yet, need the brake levers and bar end shifters). It's got an aluminum frame so it's pretty light. Eventually, I would like to get the pedals with the clips. My question now is: I am adding things to this bike to make it more adaptable for tris, but what next If I want to upgrade to a better bike? I would want to re-use most (or all) of these parts. Am I limiting myself by what I am adding now or should I just use the bike as is? Any info would be appreciated! ~John

Hey John.  If you're not 100% sure you'll continue in triathlons, then what you're doing is probably the right thing.  You'll benefit the most from aerobars and clips/pedals.  I would definitely invest in those.  As far as aerobars, I would look at clip ons (although it sounds like you already have the aerobar).  These attach directly to your current handlebars.  That way you don't have to invest in a completely new front end.  Here is an example:

http://www.trisports.com/profcenzb.html

If you do end up continuing with triathlons, then you can upgrade to a road or tri bike and switch out with those components.  So you won't be limiting yourself in any way.  You won't be the only person on a mountain bike so don't sweat that.  

2007-12-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1115146

User image

Yes, I have the aero bars already, these are them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330198414542&ru=...

By the way, I am an e-bay addict.... And I couldn't pass them up at the price. I am now looking for a good price on the brake levers and shifters. Next will be the clips/pedals, then a good computer for tracking the mileage and such, the one I have now, goes off the front tire (which does me no good on a trainer). I may try and get one at Wal-Mart in the morning so I can start biking tomorrow.

John

2007-12-24 5:26 AM
in reply to: #1115169

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Slowburn - 2007-12-23 6:22 PM Yes, I have the aero bars already, these are them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330198414542... By the way, I am an e-bay addict.... And I couldn't pass them up at the price. I am now looking for a good price on the brake levers and shifters. Next will be the clips/pedals, then a good computer for tracking the mileage and such, the one I have now, goes off the front tire (which does me no good on a trainer). I may try and get one at Wal-Mart in the morning so I can start biking tomorrow. John

EBAY has very good bargains.  I bought a couple of components there that are on my tri bike.  You'll probably have to go with a wired type of bike computer if you want to get info from your indoor training sessions.  The wireless devices won't be able to record from that far (handle bars where the main computer is to the sensor which will be on the back tire).  Good luck on EBAY, and hopefully you'll be able to get on the bike here shortly.

2007-12-31 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Sorry Mike, but I missed this question.  All of the formulas we see are merely guesses because each individual is different.  With that said, the above equation will give you a general idea as to your aerobic threshold.  So theoretically, you would want to keep your HR below this level for most of your runs.  There are several threads that talk about field testing and I can point you in the direction if you want some more information.  In a field test, you will warm up for 10 minutes, then hit the lap button on your HRM and go "all out" for 20 minutes.  You should have nothing in the tank when your done.  Your avg HR for the last 20 minutes will be your lactate threshold.  From there, you can calculate your training zones.  Another way is to have a professional administer the test for you.  In this test, you are on a treadmill.  The administrator will incrementally increase the speed every 3-4 minutes and take a blood sample through a on your finger and the lactate levels in your blood are measured.  This test is also to failure.  There are pros and cons to each test.  The biggest con to the field test is that most people don't run all out in the test phase, so the data is flawed.  The biggest pro is that it's free.  The biggest con for the professional test is that it costs money, but usually the data is accurate. 

As far as bikes are concerned, there are several great brands out there.  Go to a LBS you trust, and have them do a bike fit.  Try and find a bike shop that is F.I.S.T. certified.  Once you get fit, then you can find bikes that will fit your body style and be within your budget.  If it comes down to more than one, go with the one that you will want to ride the most, whether it has the most bling, or looks the coolest.  Any bike that causes you to want to ride more is a great bike. 

2008-01-01 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
How do I reply to the person who sent me a note on my training log? Please help.
2008-01-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1125830

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Miker1818 - 2008-01-01 8:48 AM How do I reply to the person who sent me a note on my training log? Please help.

When you pull up the inspire, you will see a reply and blog button.  Hit the blog button.  The person's blog will come up along with a place in which you can reply to his/her inspire. 

Confusing but just remember to hit the blog button if you want to reply to an inspire.

2008-01-02 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

So to start off the New Year, I am asking that everyone tell us what your immediate goals are.  Or give us something you're working towards over the next month or so.  That way, we can all help you and keep you motivated.  It can be workouts or weight loss goals. 

I'll start.  For the month of January, I am working on increasing my fitness in all three disciplines as my Ironman training plan starts on Feb 4th. I want to put at least 8 hours of training in a week.  I also want to lose 5 lbs this month.  I weighed 171.4 this morning (uuggh).  I am normally under 170, but I swallowed a lot of water at the pool today.

So what are your goals?????

2008-01-02 4:05 PM

Happy New Years everyone!

Just got back from San Diego this morning and I am looking forward to kicking this year off right.

As far as my goals go for the month of January I would like to lose ten pounds and work on being able to run a mile without stopping to walk. I think I can achieve both of those with the right amount of training, working right, and a little motivation.

Looking forward to hearing your goals.

Brian
2008-01-02 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1129098

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

dawgnation_b - 2008-01-02 3:05 PM Happy New Years everyone! Just got back from San Diego this morning and I am looking forward to kicking this year off right. As far as my goals go for the month of January I would like to lose ten pounds and work on being able to run a mile without stopping to walk. I think I can achieve both of those with the right amount of training, working right, and a little motivation. Looking forward to hearing your goals. Brian

Way to kick off your training in 2008.  I'm right there with you on the weight loss.  I need to remember portion control, and removing the junk food from the diet.  It started today.  Protein shake for breakfast, yogurt and protein crunch cereal for mid morning and afternoon snack, brown rice and ground turkey for lunch.  Not sure about dinner, but I am running tonight, so hopefully something light. 

2008-01-02 8:15 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Hmm... Immediate Goals?   Well, I'm doing a January challenge of 12K yds swimming, and would love to work more on my running this month... Biggest goal will be following me set plan for January (which I'll commit to on Mon - see blog)... Tri Training aside, my legs are going to burn as I attempt to ski 100K vertical feet in one month... and be skiing off of grooms by the end of the clinic I'm taking this month (yea for me I'm skipping work every Th in Jan to attend a women's ski clinic)....

I also signed up for the 25lb in 25wk challenge, so with that in mind hopefully by the end of the month I will be 4 to 5 lbs less.

Remember, if we set small goals, we shall achieve big obstacles.

2008-01-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1129618

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
geauxtri - 2008-01-02 7:15 PM

Hmm... Immediate Goals?   Well, I'm doing a January challenge of 12K yds swimming, and would love to work more on my running this month... Biggest goal will be following me set plan for January (which I'll commit to on Mon - see blog)... Tri Training aside, my legs are going to burn as I attempt to ski 100K vertical feet in one month... and be skiing off of grooms by the end of the clinic I'm taking this month (yea for me I'm skipping work every Th in Jan to attend a women's ski clinic)....

I also signed up for the 25lb in 25wk challenge, so with that in mind hopefully by the end of the month I will be 4 to 5 lbs less.

Remember, if we set small goals, we shall achieve big obstacles.

Those are awesome goals and definitely doable.   Your lucky to have skiing in your training schedule. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 3