BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-12-11 2:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!
Hello everyone my name is Guy Orridge and I am based in Auckland, New Zealand

STORY: I have been involved in Triathlon since 2005 when I completed an Xterra race as part of a team and decided to have a go at the full event the following year, this meant learning to swim and ran. Starting with a tri-a-try and moving up through the races completing olympic and Xterra races. When not training or travelling I work as a channel manager for Microsoft.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Claire who is my biggest supporter and when not cheering on at races is a Flight Attendant.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training over the last six months has been very consistent with multiple swim, bikes and runs leading upto finishing my first Ironman at Western Australia in early December.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Starting the year with a half Ironman at Tauranga, a couple of smaller triathlons, Xterra New Zealand, Auckland Half-Marathon and Ironman Western Australia.

2008 RACES: This is just the start of the 2008 season for us in the Summer hemisphere, apart from recovering from IMWA I am thinking about racing Xterra NZ (the new one in Taupo), a couple of sprint tris, The Rotorua marathon then after next winter Rotorua or Taupo half-Ironmans.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since starting this journey I have lost about 12 kilos and would like to continue to lose about another 10 kilos so happy to work on this with other people.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I believe that each of use can achieve whatever we set our minds too whether this be a first triathlon or an Ironman, with consistent training and support anybody can achieve these goals. The positive changes I have seen in people and myself from this sport have been fantastic and would like to encourage and supports others through this triathlon journey. If I can go from not being about to swim a 25metre pool, not being able to run more than a few km's to completing an Ironman than so can you !

Edited by guyo 2008-01-01 1:34 AM

2007-12-23 12:14 AM
in reply to: #1094360

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Open and accepting applications !.
Hi Guy's

This group is now open and accepting applications. If you would like to join this mentoring group for the first half of 2008 drop me a line with.

1 - Bio on yourself
2 - Any training and goals for 2008

Look forward to mentoring a great group of people in the new year.

Have a great Christmas.

Guy
2007-12-25 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1114787

Hey guy would love to join your mentor group.
I just got back from Iraq in october and am currently getting out of the army and move to kansas in January. I am married. I have a strong running background but my swimming sucks.
My goals this year are to complete my first tri and compete in Ironman70.3 Kansas in 09
2007-12-25 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi Joe

Welcome to this group, I am sure you will find triathlons a great addition to running, when is your first ?

Swimming can be very frustrating I speak from experience !!! but eventually you get through the other side and it becomes easier and more enjoyable. Have you had some coaching on your swim stroke ?, I found this of most value and joining a masters squad.

Guy

Edited by guyo 2007-12-25 7:56 PM
2007-12-25 9:38 PM

my first tri is in June had a little stroke coaching not much have not found a master in my are I live in a rual area. Was lookin at the triswim coach website thinking bout it. TNks joe
2007-12-26 9:59 PM

User image

Apple Valley, MN

Hello Guy.  I'm relatively new to the tri thing.  Completed my first tri last year (sprint) and three more followed.  It is an amazing sport and I cannot wait to see how I've improved compared to my first year.  Looking forward to the new year.

I'm 44, married (Kimberly) with two girls (13 and 14).  Seeing as how I was outnumbered, we now have two boys  in the family.  The four legged kind.  Cozmo is a boxer and Dodger is a Dachzund (sp).  Never did learn how to spell that breed name.  The boxer and I run together when training.  He's nice to have along when running up hill.  He has a tendency to pull me up the hill a bit.  Makes it nice when tromping through the Minnesota snow.

I've tried to stay current with training, swimming once a week, biking twice a week and trying to run twice a week as well.  When swimming I swim 1500 meters with technique thrown in either before or after.  Thinking of two days/week beginning January.  I'm biking in doors and running outside.  I typically find myself on the bike for no more than 30 minutes, but I'm working my way up to at least an hour at a time.  I so hate biking inside, but know that I have to keep it up.  I run 6 miles each time, but find my pace a bit slow.  Typically around 10 minute miles.

My goal this year is to run the same number of sprints with an oly too.  Also working to shed 17 pounds.  I started at 227 last year.  Worked my way down to 207.  Ideal weight would be 190.  I haven't been at 190 since age 19.  Hmmm.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but with encouragement, I know I can do it.

What am I looking for in a mentor?  Someone who doesn't focus solely on themselves.  Last years mentor did just that, which was unfortunate.  Of course, I have my faults to.  I'm not one who spends an inordinate amount of time on this sight.  I'll need to do better.  Anyway, if you have an opening, I'd be glad to join.  You seem to have what it takes.

2007-12-26 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome to the group Todd,

I don't envy you having to train inside cause of the snow, here in Auckland it's usually the wind and rain over winter that stops me training outside.

With your indoor riding do you have a goal or a workout set you usually use ?, I found I couldn't concentrate for more than about 30 mins on the trainer but by using a workout set (I can send you a couple) it was fairly easy to build up to 60 to 90 mins.
2007-12-28 11:33 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
Hi Guy,
I would like to apply for a spot with the team. My name is Mauro. I live in Chicago, USA. My experience with triathlons includes completing the Chicago triathlon Olympic distance. My time was 2:45. I also completed the Chicago marathon.

I would like to get more involved in the sport and become an Ironman. Of course I need all the help I can get so I believe having you as a mentor will help. By the way, thanks for doing this.

So what do you think? Am I a good fit? I see that you completed the IM Australia recently. Congratulations! Can we start drawing some plans for my Ironman?

appreciate the help!
thanks!
Mauro.
2007-12-28 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi Mauro

Welcome to the Group, it's probably a little chilly in Chicago at the moment, how is the training going ?

I hear the Chicago Marathon and Tri's are great events to do, so looks like you have a strong base to build for Ironman.

Everybody is different with their goals and base, do you have an IM race in mind ?, what is your current training schedule look like ?

Whilst as a mentor I can direct and assist where possible I am not a coach and for Ironman most people will want to work with a local coach or one of the online based coaches, however there are some good base plans available on BT which would give you a base to draw from.

2007-12-28 3:31 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Thanks for the response. Also thanks for welcoming me to the team. HI team!!

One Ironman that I have in mind is Lanzarote. I would like to complete it in 2008 or 2009. So far I have been gathering information and training plans. I see that the BT Ironman training plan is a 20-week program. Would you agree this length is sufficient? We are now 21.5 weeks away from the 2008 IM Lanzarote.

My training in the past couple of months has included a combination of stairs, swimming, cycling, running and mixed martial arts. I have been trying to concentrate more on cycling as I understand the course in Lanzarote is very hilly. However, there are no hills in Chicago and the winter does not allow me to get out much anyways. I will start posting in my training log so you have access to specifics.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks!
Mauro.

Edited by maurof78 2007-12-28 3:39 PM
2007-12-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1120909

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Wow thats an awesome goal and challenge, are you aware that outside Hawaii IM Lanzarote has a reputation for being one of the toughest IM courses, very hilly and very hot. Like you say winter in Chicago isn't too condusive to training in like conditions.

My IM plan started in June (our winter) and finished with the race in December, but that was also coming off a long previous summer session. For me the goal of IM was to get to the start line in good shape to race and then to complete the race. In hindset and for next time (planning on Ironman New Zealand 2009) I would have spent far more time on the bike and perhaps less time running but I did have some injuries over winter so a longer but slower buildup would have been better.

For the rest of our group, whatever your goal we are here to support and encourage for 2008.

2007-12-28 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1114787

Colorado Springs, CO
Hello,

My name is April and I would like to apply to join your team.

I live in Colorado, USA. I have two girls (1 & 3) and up until I had my second I was working out pretty consistently. After my second I wasn't doing much for about a year, but now I am back at it. I have run a couple 5K races, but nothing more. I wanted to try something more, but I didn't want to do more than 5K of running since I would get a little bored, so I thought I would try a triathalon. I used to swim on swim teams when I was younger, but never in open water. I have my sites set on a tri in June here in Colorado Springs (swimming is in open water which terrifies me!), but I'm really not sure how to prepare. I have picked out one of the training plans, but I have tons of questions about how to train. Hopefully you still have room in your group!

Thanks!

April
2007-12-28 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1121212

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi April

Welcome to our group, we are still open but I will cap the group around 6-8 so we have a good sized group.

I guess it's pretty chilly for training at the moment in Colorado Springs (nice part of the world) so you have plenty of time to work towards the tri in June. Have you had a look at some of the plans here on BT ? I used them when I first got started and worked well.

Re Open water swimming, I take it you will be using a wetsuit ?, it is quite different to swimming in a pool but you have better buoyancy and makes swimming easier than without which helps to overcome the fear of swimming in the open water, still I guess this will be lake swimming for you rather than Ocean swimming which adds a whole new layer of things to think about.

Welcome to the group and look forward to reading your logs.

Guy
2007-12-28 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are enjoying the holiday period, so far we 4 people in this group once we get to 6/8 I will stop the group and provide all the contact details.

Feel free to check-in on the rest of the group to provide encouragement and support and I realise most of you are in the colder parts of the US in the middle of winter so not that condusive to training, still the pool is warm, the windtrainer or spin classes are convienient and spring is only a couple of months away.

I need to start thinking about my own goals and training for 2008, having the A race at the start of the season was good, but now what.

Hopy you all have a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2008.
2007-12-28 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Hi can I join your group?  I am new to tri's and competed in my first sprint in September 2007.  I will send my bio when I get to a spot where I have a better connection, but wanted to get in before the group closed.

I am a strong swimmer, and swam competitively in HS, and College.  I hate running!  I am currently coming back from an injury to my IT band due to chronic tendonitis in my hips, which I had refused to address ~ but I am now.  I train in NJ and hope to ramp up my running slowly in time for the spring season of tri's and to try and return to Horseback riding(my first love), which has been curtailled due to the injury.

I need serious help on the run.

2007-12-28 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1121220

Colorado Springs, CO
I have been looking at the BT training plans and have picked one out that I think will work for me. It won't start until the end of Febuary though so that the end of it coinsides with the race date. Until then I am just going to work on my schedule to make sure I can get to the gym when I am supposed to, and to work out a strength training routine.

As for a wetsuit... I spoke with someone who did the same tri this year and she said that she would advise a wetsuit, not so much because of the water temperature, but because the water was so disgusting! I will be training at the gym since it has a pool, and I really don't know what to expect swimming in open water. I grew up in the desert southwest so my open water swimming experience is extremely limited!

Thanks for taking the time to mentor this group!

April

2007-12-28 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1121493

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome to the group Tammy,

I know where you are coming from most people dislike one of the three disciplines and are strong in one or both of the other and it can be frustrating having injuries which stop or slow you down. Coming from a biking background I had to learn to run and swim, so hated swimming for a long time as the progress was so slow and frustrating but stick with the running and it will all come right in the end.

Apart from the running and getting back into horse riding, do you have any specific goals or races you would like to work towards this year ?
2007-12-29 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1121525

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

guyo - 2007-12-28 10:57 PM Welcome to the group Tammy, I know where you are coming from most people dislike one of the three disciplines and are strong in one or both of the other and it can be frustrating having injuries which stop or slow you down. Coming from a biking background I had to learn to run and swim, so hated swimming for a long time as the progress was so slow and frustrating but stick with the running and it will all come right in the end. Apart from the running and getting back into horse riding, do you have any specific goals or races you would like to work towards this year ?

I am married with three young kids. My son is the oldest (14) and a very good competitive swimmer. He has taken an interest in the triathlon, and often trains with me. I also have an 11 yo and 6 yo daughter.

My first and foremost goal for 2008, is to be able to increase the run to a minimum of 5K and make a successful return to horse back riding. I have ridden for years, and suffered from hip tendonitis of which I never did anything about. A quick ramp up in the run leading up to the Sept tri, damaged the IT band at the hip. I have been successful in returning to the run, and am slowly increasing the distance. I hope to keep the pain at bay when I return to horse back riding in March.

I will compete in the Finger Lakes Triathlon in Sept 2008, and hopefully one or two in the spring if the body allows it. Not sure which ones yet.

I am interested in learning more about training with heart rates, if anyone knows any good references, or information.

2007-12-30 12:19 PM

hey guy what is the best way to improve climbing. I road a climb yesterday it was 500 foot in 4 miles I was not doing so great was just wondering if you had any tips for climbing
Thanks Joe
2007-12-30 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
What was your candence like ?, I try to spin up hills as much as possible and keep the cadence as high as possible.

If you spin too slowly you will put a lot of pressure on your knees and muscles which could lead to problems.

Hills, Hills and then some more hills will help !!!
2007-12-31 5:57 AM
in reply to: #1117926

User image

Apple Valley, MN

You couldn't be more right about the limits of indoor riding.  My current goal is to finish 30 minutes each time I jump on the bike.  Last night seemed like at least an hour.  Definitely struggled.  Had the music playing and changed up positions quite a bit, but everytime I looked up at the timer on my PC, I just got increasingly fatigued and disappointed.  Kind of like the watch pot that never boils I suppose.  A work out set would be greatly appreciated. 

Looks like we've got a few more that are jumping on board, which is fantastic.  Also looks like we've got a great mix of folks.  This should be a great group.

2007-12-31 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Hello from Colorado! I decided at the end of October that it's high time to find a new challenge and get my round butt off the couch...so knowing that misery loves company-I talked two crazy fun loving gals to join me in the insanity. (Now, not really "misery loves company"--more like "if I say I'm gonna meet them at the gym, I can't roll over and go back to sleep.") Well-long story short, we decided that a sprint triathlon would be just the ticket and have set our sights on completing one at the beginning of June.
Never done anything like this before...one of us isn't a swimmer, one of us isn't a runner....and I have no real strength in any of the 3 sports!! Should be a great challenge-oh did I mention I am quitting smoking-which more or less prompted the whole idea.

I am hoping you don't think my cause too pathetic--I chose your program because you said ANYBODY CAN DO THIS EVEN IF THEY CAN HARDLY SWIM 25 METERS...well that applies to me!!
Hopefully,
Holly
2007-12-31 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1124606

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome to the group Holly,

June gives you(us) plenty of time to get you to the start line of your sprint triathlon, you might want to look at lining some more up over the rest of summer cos I guarantee you they become addictive.

My first Tri was a super-sprint which was 100m swim, 10km and 2km run and it was fun but really tough, as I said when I first got into tris I couldn't swim one length of a pool most freestyle so most of the initial events were breastroke, but whatever you do you will get there.

Congrats on the giving up smoking as well, if you dont have a plan have a look at one of the beginner sprint plans, load that up and start logging your training.

All questions are good questions, please feel free to ask anything you like however strange or trivial it may seem and welcome to the group.
2007-12-31 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1124606

Colorado Springs, CO
Hi Holly!

Where are you in Colorado? I am in Colorado Springs. Which tri are you looking at in June? I'm glad I'm not the only beginner on the board!

April
2007-12-31 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1122323

Colorado Springs, CO
notarunnr - 2007-12-29 6:14 PM

I am interested in learning more about training with heart rates, if anyone knows any good references, or information.

I am interested in heart rate training too. There are a couple good articles on this site - I had always used the 220 - age formula, but they talk about how to calculate your real Max Heart Rate so you can train in different zones.

It seems like the training plans use different zones - work harder on the shorter workouts and in a lower zone on the long work out days. Is this right? I have never worked out with a plan like this before so the better I understand it before I start the better.

April
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6