BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-03 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1132551

User image

Subject: RE: hard core builder
mysfit - 2008-01-04 8:19 PM

As for a tri... unfortunately I can only do one locally because I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I don't think they would do well getting up super early to travel out of town. Maybe next year they will be up for it. I would like a better tri for my first, but if it is between doing a mediocre local tri or none at all I of course chose doing the local one. Maybe I'll train that much harder since it is a tougher one.

that's crazy cuz my wife and i have a 2year old and a 1month old. our kids are about the same age apart. i think my wife may try and find a babysitter for my first race and after that she might not want to come. however, if i can qualify for a championship race near a beach location she is all geared up to go and stay an extra couple of days....hehe

2008-01-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1094360

User image

Subject: floating advice
Anybody read this forum besides mysfit and I? :-p

Anyways - trying to see if you guys have any good advice on how to float. I'm a pretty well toned guy with muscular legs and I have the toughest trouble keeping near the top of water - I always sink straight down and my legs lead the way.

Any ideas? I use total immersion swimming - and in skate position I skate right on the pool's bottom.
2008-01-05 3:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!
Hi Guy's

I have put together (well borrowed from other groups actually) some html code which you can put on your log pages if you wish giving you quick access to each others logs.

Guy's Mentor Group 2008
Guyo - Guy

h20runutz - Joe

hollz - Holly

lyric4christ -

maurof78 - Mauro

mysfit - April

notarunnr - Tammy

pikey10 - Brendan

tpurk40 - Todd

Enjoy the weekend.

Edited by guyo 2008-01-05 3:25 AM
2008-01-05 3:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Races

For those new to BT you can search for and load the races you are planning on doing this year into your logs, this will also allow us to see how far and when you races are.

And before anybody checks, yes I need to do that aswell but as I am carrying a few injuries probably not doing much racing this summer at the moment.
2008-01-05 3:02 PM

guyo
look for some thoughts and gett a true tri bike coming up trying come up with a price tag to save up for. It will be used for half-ironman maybe a full one day what is a good entry level- intermidate level bike.
thnks joe
2008-01-05 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1136065

User image

Veteran
Auckland
I probably can't help too much here, I ride a standard Scott road bike with clip-on aero bars which was fine for my races up too and including an Ironman but for my next I will probably go for a full tri-bike.

Do you get to train/ride in conditions that will allow you to spent a lot of time down in the aero position ? or is it more hilly where you ride ?

From reading most of the other posts and you will find a lot searching the gear forums to most common brands seem to be Cervelo, Kuota and Scott but most of the other manufactures like Specialized and felt do tri-spefici bikes. The key thing is fit and comfort once that is sorted depending on the level of components dictates the price.

2008-01-05 5:40 PM

I ride mainly in flat areas (kansas) but I would like to train to stay aero postion.
2008-01-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1136182

User image

Apple Valley, MN

Hello Guy.

I guess I didn't realize you were working on healing a few injuries.  Hope all goes well with the healing process.  I'll have to be a bit careful myself, when summer approaches, given the number of tri's I've entered.  I may have bit off more than I can chew.  Not much rest time between each one.  Anyway....hope you start feeling better soon.

2008-01-05 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Thanks Todd, it's only been 4 weeks since I did my Ironman race but the shoulder is stopping me from swimming and I think I am stopping myself from running. May go for a run tonight when it cools down a bit.
2008-01-05 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1136065

User image

Apple Valley, MN

Hey Joe,

I picked up my first tri bike last year in March time frame.  The original price was $1100 and it later dropped to $499 in December.  By the time March arrived they dropped it another $100 smacks, so if you visit a bike shop in your area in the next couple of months, you may be able to get one heck of a deal.  The brand I picked up is a KHS 320 Flite tri, fully equipped with Aero bars and Shimano rims.  It's been a great bike.  The bike shop I purchased from also had a great deal on minor adjustments throughtout the first year.  All adjustments were free.  Just before every race I'd take it in and have them go through it just to be certain issues didn't arise during the race.  You'll have to check that out when you purchase your first bike.  Happy shopping.

2008-01-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1133618

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: floating advice
lyric4christ - 2008-01-04 10:20 AM

Anybody read this forum besides mysfit and I? :-p

Anyways - trying to see if you guys have any good advice on how to float. I'm a pretty well toned guy with muscular legs and I have the toughest trouble keeping near the top of water - I always sink straight down and my legs lead the way.

Any ideas? I use total immersion swimming - and in skate position I skate right on the pool's bottom.

I don't have any advice, but I found the following article:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Triathlon-Swimming---Help---I-Sink-Like-a...

Hope it helps.

April

2008-01-06 5:53 PM

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Questions about triathlon
I am trying not to ask too many questions at once, but I have so many! Please forgive me if any of the questions are silly, but I have never done a triathlon and the more information I have the better I'll feel when the race comes...

- When you get to the race I've heard there is a "transition" area. What do you keep there? Your bike and what else? What other gear do you need?
- Do you arrive to the race in your wetsuit? Do you wear your biking/running clothes underneath or do you change after the swim?
- Is there usually a problem with other swimmers bumping into you during the swim? What is the etiquette for passing/being passed?
- What are average times I should aim for for each segment? I am not looking to win, but I would like to finish the race strong.
- Do triathlons usually fill up pretty quickly? My race isn't until June and I haven't signed up in case I find something else local, but I would hate to have it fill up and miss out on the only local one available!

I have more questions, but I'll hold off for now.

Thanks!

April
2008-01-07 6:15 AM
in reply to: #1133618

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: RE: floating advice

lyric4christ - 2008-01-04 12:20 PM Anybody read this forum besides mysfit and I? :-p Anyways - trying to see if you guys have any good advice on how to float. I'm a pretty well toned guy with muscular legs and I have the toughest trouble keeping near the top of water - I always sink straight down and my legs lead the way. Any ideas? I use total immersion swimming - and in skate position I skate right on the pool's bottom.

It's those big old legs that are giving you the problem.....I would venture a guess that you are a runner. Usually if you are a good swimmer, you aren't a good runner and vice versa(runners have big legs that sink).

IMO, in swimming we don't use legs a whole lot. They are mainly for balance, and light kicking, it takes alot of energy to keep those big muscles moving(Swimmers have big shoulders because we use those muscles the most). Instead of thinking of pushing your chest in the water, try thinking of arching your back (careful though don't hurt your back). Have you done any work with pull buoy? That will help you get a feel for where your legs should be, and it is always good to work with fins to try and get the correct kick.

Good Luck! and let us know how you progress.

2008-01-07 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1137487

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: RE: Questions about triathlon

mysfit - 2008-01-06 6:53 PM I am trying not to ask too many questions at once, but I have so many! Please forgive me if any of the questions are silly, but I have never done a triathlon and the more information I have the better I'll feel when the race comes... - When you get to the race I've heard there is a "transition" area. What do you keep there? Your bike and what else? What other gear do you need? - Do you arrive to the race in your wetsuit? Do you wear your biking/running clothes underneath or do you change after the swim? - Is there usually a problem with other swimmers bumping into you during the swim? What is the etiquette for passing/being passed? - What are average times I should aim for for each segment? I am not looking to win, but I would like to finish the race strong. - Do triathlons usually fill up pretty quickly? My race isn't until June and I haven't signed up in case I find something else local, but I would hate to have it fill up and miss out on the only local one available! I have more questions, but I'll hold off for now. Thanks! April

Wow those are fun questions, and since every tri is different it will be interesting to see some of the responses. I have only done one tri so I can give you my experience based on that.

1. The transition area is where you keep all your stuff that you need for the race. After the swim you will go there and leave caps, goggles, wet suit, and pick up your bike, helmet, any necessary nutrition, and change into your shoes (sneakers or bike). After the bike you will go there and rerack your bike, get your running shoes, and race number (if you don't already have them), and any necessary nutrition. Read an article on transitions cuz there is a whole lot to them, and practice if you can. Always remember never ride your bike in transition and make sure your helmet is on before removing your bike from the rack. You can also see videos of transitions on you tube.

2. Don't wear your wet suit to the race, put it on there. You need to arrive early and it is a long time to be in a wet suit, and you need to get body marked. I wear ny bike shorts and a sports bra for the swim and then I bike and run in it, I don't change.

3. With the open swim yes you can get bumped by other swimmers. I will say three words, focus, focus, focus (hocus pocus...it's tough in an OWS), don't pay attention to the other swimmers. If someone is on your feet one strong kick is usually enough to get them to back off. There is usually enough room that passing is not an issue...although the buoys get jammed up sometimes.

4. Check the results from last year's tri to get an idea of times, you can set reasonable goals based on your ability and what type of times are being posted for the course (of course weather conditions play a role in times and that varies year to year). Search the race on BT and see what other BTers maybe saying about last years race. I found that helpful as past comments on my race was that there was not enough water on the run, so I was prepared for it.

Most of all have fun!, I set a goal of completing for my first tri which kept me focussed and not racing to hard and crashing. I set a reach goal of a certain time for each segment. I came close on all three. I damaged my IT band during the tri and I had to stop and stretch my leg and hip half way through the run(actually lay down on the ground and stretch). I think if I didn't have that first goal set I may not have stopped to stretch and probably wouldn't have finished.

Good Luck

2008-01-07 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
April-I love all your questions and most of them apply to me as well since I have yet to complete a race. If they are silly questions, I'm right there with ya! It seems to me that in a sprint race, it would be silly to have a lot of different attire to have to change into and from...but maybe I am way off base on that. I know you have to have a helmet for the bike...but I am thinking you can pedal in your running shoes, yes?? And you can ride and run in what you swam-or am I crazy? If I'm crazy and you have to basically change all your attire at every transition, then I definitely need to spend some time on that aspect of the race.
2008-01-07 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1138290

User image

notarunnr - 2008-01-08 6:38 AM

I wear ny bike shorts and a sports bra for the swim and then I bike and run in it, I don't change.

wow. that's pretty cool. i never heard of that before - i was thinking of buying a tri suit - but i can do that and minimize on initial investment. thanks for the idea.

also thanks for the advice on swimming...i'm going to keep working on it. i've got to get this figured out before march - which is when i'll sign up for my may race.

Edited by lyric4christ 2008-01-07 11:43 PM

2008-01-07 11:44 PM
in reply to: #1135401

User image

guyo - 2008-01-06 2:17 AM

Hi Guy's

I have put together (well borrowed from other groups actually) some html code which you can put on your log pages if you wish giving you quick access to each others logs.

Guy's Mentor Group 2008
Guyo - Guy

h20runutz - Joe

hollz - Holly

lyric4christ -

maurof78 - Mauro

mysfit - April

notarunnr - Tammy

pikey10 - Brendan

tpurk40 - Todd

Enjoy the weekend.

for those of you interested...my name is Yianni
2008-01-08 3:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
mysfit - 2008-01-07 10:53 AM

I am trying not to ask too many questions at once, but I have so many! Please forgive me if any of the questions are silly, but I have never done a triathlon and the more information I have the better I'll feel when the race comes...

No questions are silly questions, better to ask here and learn from our experience then to find out yourself on race day ;-)

- When you get to the race I've heard there is a "transition" area. What do you keep there? Your bike and what else? What other gear do you need?

The transition area is set aside for the transition from swim to bike (T1) and bike to run (T2), depending on the race you may be allocated a number and a slot for your bike or it's first in best dressed. You will rack your bike there along with your cycle gear and running gear for later. It's a good idea to practice transition in advance and to walk the route from the swim exit to your bike, the bike in/out and the route back to drop-off your bike and go running. Some people put there gear in a box, personally I use a bag and lay stuff out on a towel next to the bike.

- Do you arrive to the race in your wetsuit? Do you wear your biking/running clothes underneath or do you change after the swim?

I usually turn up wearing the race gear I am going to use (tri-shorts/top etc) and once registration is complete setup the bike (helmet on the bars, strap undone, sunglasses inside etc), then put on the wetsuit and go for a warm-up swim prior to the start of the race.

- Is there usually a problem with other swimmers bumping into you during the swim? What is the etiquette for passing/being passed?

You may get bumped or swum over but depends on the race and where you start from, if you start from the side or the back this shouldn't be a problem, with some of my first races I counted to 5 when the starter gun went off and went after that and stayed away from the rough stuff.

- What are average times I should aim for for each segment? I am not looking to win, but I would like to finish the race strong.

Your first one will always be a personal best, have a look at other race logs and last years results to see the wide range of times, personally completing the race is probably a big enough goal for the first one until your hooked !!!.

- Do triathlons usually fill up pretty quickly? My race isn't until June and I haven't signed up in case I find something else local, but I would hate to have it fill up and miss out on the only local one available!

Depends on the race, some do especially the more high profile races and Ironman races in North America, better to register early than miss out and besides it commits you to the event which helps with the training (I know it took me about 3 weeks to pluck up the courage for Ironman WA but there was a sense or relief when it was done so I could concentrate on the training.)

I have more questions, but I'll hold off for now.

Thanks!

April
2008-01-08 3:08 AM
in reply to: #1140076

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hollz - 2008-01-08 10:39 AM

April-I love all your questions and most of them apply to me as well since I have yet to complete a race. If they are silly questions, I'm right there with ya! It seems to me that in a sprint race, it would be silly to have a lot of different attire to have to change into and from...but maybe I am way off base on that. I know you have to have a helmet for the bike...but I am thinking you can pedal in your running shoes, yes?? And you can ride and run in what you swam-or am I crazy? If I'm crazy and you have to basically change all your attire at every transition, then I definitely need to spend some time on that aspect of the race.

You will want to be in and out of transition as fast as possible (practice, practice, practice) ideally in under 45-60seconds, you can make up some much time and places on other people that will stop to change clothes, put on socks (practice without), take some food, get the ipod (dont), put on race numbers etc etc.

I wear tri-shorts and top under my wetsuit along with a number belt (number riding on back), out of the water put googles on head, unzip wetsuit and down to waist coming up the beach, once at the bike bend down to remove suit, put on shoes (if not already on bike), stand up helmet on (try taking the helmet off and placing upside down, this way you can put it on without turning it around and finding the front, sunglasses and off running with the bike.

2008-01-11 11:44 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
hmm everyone has been quiet... busy working out?

I will be going in for a free cycling power test tomorrow morning. I have another planned in late March to find out how much I have improved. It consists of a hilly 12.5 mile ride on a computrainer that is designed to test your Functional Threshold Power (FTP). We'll see how it goes...

Maybe we can all test ourselves in the activity(ies) we would most want to improve and post the results? A later test would prove how much we really have improved.

2008-01-11 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

I am here and have been concentrating on my run for the month.  I am rehabbing hip tendonitis and a damage IT band as a result.  I think I am finally on the uphill swing of feeling better.  I have increased my run slowly and I am currently at 1.5 mile.  I am please that I am now logging some miles that are sub 9 minutes. 

Does anyone have any information on increasing the run, my current plan (designed by my PT) takes me to 3 miles, but from there I have no plan, I don't want to overdo it, as I did in the beginning and had a setback.

2008-01-11 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1150371

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

maurof78 - 2008-01-11 12:44 PM hmm everyone has been quiet... busy working out? I will be going in for a free cycling power test tomorrow morning. I have another planned in late March to find out how much I have improved. It consists of a hilly 12.5 mile ride on a computrainer that is designed to test your Functional Threshold Power (FTP). We'll see how it goes... Maybe we can all test ourselves in the activity(ies) we would most want to improve and post the results? A later test would prove how much we really have improved.

I assume this is your first one?  Does it test on speed or power output?  Where are you having it done, your fitness club?  I don't know how I would test myself in the run (my weakest discipline),  I currently look to see an improvement in my pace,  I am trying to figure out heart rate stuff.

2008-01-11 12:59 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
hmm I can't help but wonder if the first step to becoming a better runner might be to change your screenname... notarunnr? why so pessimistic? how about greatrunnr? or down one notch.. greatrunnr2b.

It seems you are concentrating on fast times per mile. Are you also running at a slower pace for longer distances?
2008-01-11 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1150571

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

maurof78 - 2008-01-11 1:59 PM hmm I can't help but wonder if the first step to becoming a better runner might be to change your screenname... notarunnr? why so pessimistic? how about greatrunnr? or down one notch.. greatrunnr2b. It seems you are concentrating on fast times per mile. Are you also running at a slower pace for longer distances?

Greatrunnr I am not, but maybe a greatrunnr2b;  I am making peace with it.  I have no clue what I am doing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I know my way around a pool and can critique a stroke, and give out drills and workouts, but running I have no idea I just go out and run.  My runs aren't hard to say the least I actually think I am fairly lazy, I usually don't hurt afterwards unless it is the hip or ITB, but that is improving.

I am currently on a 1.5 mile run, and increasing to 2.0 next Wednesday; I can't increase to longer mileage right now.  I know this sounds silly, but how do you run at a slower pace, do you monitor your heart rate?

2008-01-11 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1150517

User image

Veteran
Auckland
There should be some runnings plans for 5k/10k/Half-marathon etc in the training plan route, otherwise most advice I have seen is a maximum 5-10% increase per week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6