BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-02-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1224591

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!
Hey all,

It's been kinda crazy here but I am hanging in there. Just as my training plan kicked in we decided to take a last minute trip to Florida/Disneyworld, so I don't think I will be getting in my workouts in. I guess I will just pick up on the plan when we get back and hope I don't lose too much over the next 9 days. I will be getting in a lot of walking though.

April

2008-02-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1094360

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hope you have a wonderful vacation April.
2008-02-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1227440

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
notarunnr - 2008-02-21 8:28 PM

Hollz - 2008-02-20 6:22 PM Where did everyone go? Are you out there? Just wondering how February is coming along...Cheers to all!

Hi Holly!  I think everyone else disappeared, except for April, Todd, Guy, you and I.  How's it going.  I have been continuing my run building.  I am finally at 3.5 miles, not any faster but now I can do a 5K Smile.  

Check out Todd's brick he did yesterday, PB for swimming, and well on his way to his ideal weight...awesome. 

Yay Girl! I think you need to change your name to "YesIamrunner". Running is my least favorite of the disciplines for sure....and I am starting to really work on it. Need good shoes-left ankle and heal pain... You are an inspiration to me on that front!

Todd is rocking! April, Have a great vacay and check in with us when you get back.

Hi Guy, Sorry your rehab isn't quicker. It has to be very frustrating for you. I have had some knee and foot problems in the past and can relate a little bit to your situation.

Hope you all have a great week! Should we do a March training challenge?

Holly
2008-02-27 1:42 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Hi team,
Sorry I have been MIA. I decided to take a last minute vacation last week and was away for a few days. Aside from that I have been preparing for a jiu jitsu tournament this weekend. We'll see how it goes... Next week it is back to my tri specific training.
I see everyone is doing very well with their workouts. Congrats and keep it up!
Mauro.
2008-03-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1234161

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Gear question
Hey all,

I have a gear question for you... First, I was thinking of getting a tri suit - I really love the idea of getting out of the water and just going, not having to change or anything. But now the tri I am going to do has the swim in a pool. Can you use a tri suit in a pool? I know the wet suit is for boyancy and for the cold, but does it work in a pool too? If not, is there anything I can use in the pool that would be suited for running and biking too so I don't have to change?

Now for a couple swim questions...

What is the purpose of a swim cap? This may sound really silly, but I am the type of person that needs to understand the why. It doesn't keep my hair dry, and my hair is pretty short, so it's not like it keeps it out of my face. Are they required?

My training plan is just a "volume builder", so when should I do some swim drills? Should I do it on my long swim days after a straight 500m or should I save drills for the short swims?

Thanks!

April
2008-03-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1260680

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Gear question
mysfit - 2008-03-08 1:54 PM

Hey all,

I have a gear question for you... First, I was thinking of getting a tri suit - I really love the idea of getting out of the water and just going, not having to change or anything. But now the tri I am going to do has the swim in a pool. Can you use a tri suit in a pool? I know the wet suit is for boyancy and for the cold, but does it work in a pool too? If not, is there anything I can use in the pool that would be suited for running and biking too so I don't have to change?

What is the purpose of a swim cap? This may sound really silly, but I am the type of person that needs to understand the why. It doesn't keep my hair dry, and my hair is pretty short, so it's not like it keeps it out of my face. Are they required?

My training plan is just a "volume builder", so when should I do some swim drills? Should I do it on my long swim days after a straight 500m or should I save drills for the short swims?

Thanks!

April

Hey April, Hope you had a great vacay-I too am curious about the "what to wear" question and think your reasoning of one suit for all makes perfect sense-anyone help out on that??? I think we are not going to GJ for the first Tri and will be also attempting the highlands ranch tri that you are going to enter. How cool is that? I am utilizing drills in each swim, went to swimplan.com on Tammy's recommendation. She gave me some great advice on one of our earlier pages...you may want to flip back and see that. But really-I am pretty clueless. We have a lot more expertise in our other teammates...anyone still out there?
Cheers, Holly

2008-03-13 3:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
mysfit - 2008-03-09 7:54 AM

Hey all,

Thanks!

April

Hi April

Sorry I missed these questions, but here are my thoughts.

A tri suit is good in that you can wear it under your wetsuit and go straight from the swim, however there are a couple of drawbacks. 1 - Bathroom stops, if you need to stop at anytime on the race getting in and out of a tri-suit is harder and secondly you want to train in the gear you race in so do you want to train in the tri suit aswell ?

Personally I prefer a pair of tri shorts and a tri top which still has the benefit of going under the wetsuit without changing but I can mix and match with other clothes as required.

Question 2 The swim cap is not there to protect your hair ;-) but for safety so you can been seen in the water and if you are in trouble it's easier to assist.

Not sure about the swim drills, I normally do a warm-up and then the drills before a warm down and keep them seperate to the longer swim sets.

Rgds Guy
2008-03-13 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1268959

Colorado Springs, CO
guyo - 2008-03-13 2:48 AM

Hi April

Sorry I missed these questions, but here are my thoughts.

A tri suit is good in that you can wear it under your wetsuit and go straight from the swim, however there are a couple of drawbacks. 1 - Bathroom stops, if you need to stop at anytime on the race getting in and out of a tri-suit is harder and secondly you want to train in the gear you race in so do you want to train in the tri suit aswell ?

Personally I prefer a pair of tri shorts and a tri top which still has the benefit of going under the wetsuit without changing but I can mix and match with other clothes as required.

Question 2 The swim cap is not there to protect your hair ;-) but for safety so you can been seen in the water and if you are in trouble it's easier to assist.

Not sure about the swim drills, I normally do a warm-up and then the drills before a warm down and keep them seperate to the longer swim sets.

Rgds Guy

So, can you swim in tri shirt/shorts? My first tri is a pool swim, so I won't need a wet suit. I really like the idea of separate shirt/shorts - I just didn't know they had them that way! Any recommendations on brands?

So if the swim cap is just for visibility, do I need to wear one for a pool swim? Some people at the gym wear them - is it just to get used to them?

Thanks!

April

Edited by mysfit 2008-03-13 9:05 AM
2008-03-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1267704

Colorado Springs, CO
Hollz - 2008-03-12 1:01 PM

I think we are not going to GJ for the first Tri and will be also attempting the highlands ranch tri that you are going to enter. How cool is that?

That is so cool that you are going to do the Highlands Ranch tri! It was highly recommended to me by someone I know here that does a lot of tris. I want to try that one first, and then if it looks like I enjoy it, I'll try to sign up for the tri for the cure in Denver in August. I've heard that is a really good one too, and I believe it is only for women. It will be great to meet you!

April
2008-03-13 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1269220

User image

Veteran
Auckland
I am not sure if they will make you wear a cap in a race with the swim in the pool, if they do they should be supplied anyway, but its good to get used to one just incase.

Have a look at the gear discounts page on the forum, Trisports.com offer a discount for BT members and have a lot of good brands.

I use mainly Orca because they are a local NZ Company and Pearl Izumi but there are a lot of brands out there. Tri shorts are lick cycle shorts but with less padding so you can bike and run in them.
2008-03-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1269261

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mysfit - 2008-03-13 8:04 AM

Hollz - 2008-03-12 1:01 PM

I think we are not going to GJ for the first Tri and will be also attempting the highlands ranch tri that you are going to enter. How cool is that?

That is so cool that you are going to do the Highlands Ranch tri! It was highly recommended to me by someone I know here that does a lot of tris. I want to try that one first, and then if it looks like I enjoy it, I'll try to sign up for the tri for the cure in Denver in August. I've heard that is a really good one too, and I believe it is only for women. It will be great to meet you!

April

We will have to talk more before that race so we can hook up. We plan on going over the running trail and checking out the bike route prior to the race-If that sounds good to you, we should coordinate. Happy Training!
Holly

2008-03-19 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

mysfit - 2008-03-08 3:54 PM Hey all, I have a gear question for you... First, I was thinking of getting a tri suit - I really love the idea of getting out of the water and just going, not having to change or anything. But now the tri I am going to do has the swim in a pool. Can you use a tri suit in a pool? I know the wet suit is for boyancy and for the cold, but does it work in a pool too? If not, is there anything I can use in the pool that would be suited for running and biking too so I don't have to change? Now for a couple swim questions... What is the purpose of a swim cap? This may sound really silly, but I am the type of person that needs to understand the why. It doesn't keep my hair dry, and my hair is pretty short, so it's not like it keeps it out of my face. Are they required? My training plan is just a "volume builder", so when should I do some swim drills? Should I do it on my long swim days after a straight 500m or should I save drills for the short swims? Thanks! April

April:

I wear a sports bra and shorts for my tri's.  I find it is easier, both dry quickly, fit under a wetsuit, and easy in and out.  

A cap does provide the visibility for the tri, but also I would recommend that you put your goggles on first and then your cap.  That way in the event that your goggles get kicked off or dislodged some other way they are still attached and easily retrievable.  

I am big on swim drills and think that you should be doing them every time you get in the pool.  The purpose of a drill is to improve your form by getting the correct positioning and movement, and then imprinting that feeling on your muscles.  Every swim I do a warm up, and then a set of varied drills, then I go into my core workout.  If you need help with drills I can provide you some.  There are drills to work on everything from body position, arm position, leg position, breathing, etc.  

Good luck on your tri!

2008-03-22 3:09 PM

User image

Subject: I'm BAAAACK!!!! and I can SWIM!!!
If you guys care. I CAN SWIM!!!! I've been swiming four days a week for about 4hours total since January and now I can swim. My official swim date is 11Mar08. It's on!

I've got a buddy swimming with me - and our goal is to go to Hawaii in 09. I've got a long way to go...but I'm finally excited. I thought I'd never be able to swim. Now I'm doing 50yard repeats (25 yard pool) with 15 second rests.......
2008-03-22 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1287347

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: I'm BAAAACK!!!! and I can SWIM!!!
lyric4christ - 2008-03-22 2:09 PM

If you guys care. I CAN SWIM!!!! I've been swiming four days a week for about 4hours total since January and now I can swim. My official swim date is 11Mar08. It's on!

I've got a buddy swimming with me - and our goal is to go to Hawaii in 09. I've got a long way to go...but I'm finally excited. I thought I'd never be able to swim. Now I'm doing 50yard repeats (25 yard pool) with 15 second rests.......

Way to go!!!
2008-03-22 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1281043

Colorado Springs, CO
notarunnr - 2008-03-19 1:01 PM

April:

I wear a sports bra and shorts for my tri's.  I find it is easier, both dry quickly, fit under a wetsuit, and easy in and out.  

A cap does provide the visibility for the tri, but also I would recommend that you put your goggles on first and then your cap.  That way in the event that your goggles get kicked off or dislodged some other way they are still attached and easily retrievable.  

I am big on swim drills and think that you should be doing them every time you get in the pool.  The purpose of a drill is to improve your form by getting the correct positioning and movement, and then imprinting that feeling on your muscles.  Every swim I do a warm up, and then a set of varied drills, then I go into my core workout.  If you need help with drills I can provide you some.  There are drills to work on everything from body position, arm position, leg position, breathing, etc.  

Good luck on your tri!

Thanks! I went to swimplan.com and got some drills. What I did today was cut the drills in half so I could still get a 500m swim in and still say within the time outlined in my training plan. Should that work? Or should I ignore what the plan says as far as minutes and just get a good swim in each time (drills and core 500m)?

When you say you use shorts, are they bicycle shorts or regular running shorts? My first tri is in a pool, so I won't be using a wet suit. And thanks for the tip about the goggles!

April
2008-03-22 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1287347

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Welcome back.

Great news on the swim front, it's a good feeling when you break through and see the other side with swimming.

2008-03-27 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1287774

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
mysfit - 2008-03-22 10:22 PM
notarunnr - 2008-03-19 1:01 PM

April:

I wear a sports bra and shorts for my tri's. I find it is easier, both dry quickly, fit under a wetsuit, and easy in and out.

A cap does provide the visibility for the tri, but also I would recommend that you put your goggles on first and then your cap. That way in the event that your goggles get kicked off or dislodged some other way they are still attached and easily retrievable.

I am big on swim drills and think that you should be doing them every time you get in the pool. The purpose of a drill is to improve your form by getting the correct positioning and movement, and then imprinting that feeling on your muscles. Every swim I do a warm up, and then a set of varied drills, then I go into my core workout. If you need help with drills I can provide you some. There are drills to work on everything from body position, arm position, leg position, breathing, etc.

Good luck on your tri!

Thanks! I went to swimplan.com and got some drills. What I did today was cut the drills in half so I could still get a 500m swim in and still say within the time outlined in my training plan. Should that work? Or should I ignore what the plan says as far as minutes and just get a good swim in each time (drills and core 500m)? When you say you use shorts, are they bicycle shorts or regular running shorts? My first tri is in a pool, so I won't be using a wet suit. And thanks for the tip about the goggles! April

April, I would ignore the time in your training plan.  Usually that is an approximate time for one to complete the plan, but not required.   Eventually you will be competitive with the time that the training plan says the swim should be completed in.  The drills are more about form and not speed, you should do them at the pace that you perform them correctly.  If you are going to fast and not performing them properly then you are not benefitting from them...slow them down so you do them correctly.

I don't use bike shorts in my tri's, but I do sprints and the bike distance is not too long.  I use compression shorts(UA, or champion) for the tri....but be careful the bike does a number on them after a few uses. 

I can't wait to hear how the tri turns out. 

2008-03-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1287751

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

mysfit - 2008-03-22 10:09 PM
lyric4christ - 2008-03-22 2:09 PM If you guys care. I CAN SWIM!!!! I've been swiming four days a week for about 4hours total since January and now I can swim. My official swim date is 11Mar08. It's on! I've got a buddy swimming with me - and our goal is to go to Hawaii in 09. I've got a long way to go...but I'm finally excited. I thought I'd never be able to swim. Now I'm doing 50yard repeats (25 yard pool) with 15 second rests.......
Way to go!!!

Great job and great perseverance!   It always helps to have someone to swim with.

2008-06-02 2:49 PM

Colorado Springs, CO
Hello all!

I almost didn't find the thread!

Anyway, my first tri is Saturday and I wanted to ask you guys about food the night before and the morning of. Since we have to travel we will be eating in a restaurant the night before. What should I eat? I was thinking about a nice pasta dish. And how about the morning of. I haven't been eating a lot before the workouts and that has been working for me, but what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

April
2008-06-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1439312

User image

Chicago, IL
In the past I have had a carbohydrate-rich pasta dinner the night before. I also make sure to take in a lot of fluids. Make sure to get good rest the nights leading up to the event as you may find it a little difficult to sleep the night before due to all the excitement. I am not much of a breakfast person but on race day I try to take something in a couple of hours before the race. Pancakes with peanut butter and jelly and a banana have worked for me. I understand others like to have bagels. I also drink a gatorade.
I see your training has been super. You will do great! Good luck and have fun!
2008-06-07 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi April

Good luck for next weekend. Depending on the length of the race you might not want to do anything different, certainly plenty of fluid the days leading up to the race and some cabrs the night before is good.

The key is not to try anything on race day you havn't done in training so stick to your usual pre-workout routine.

Enjoy the race, we look forward to hearing all about it.

2008-06-16 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1451962

Colorado Springs, CO
I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

I can't believe it, but I did it! I actually felt very strong in all 3 events and finished feeling very strong. Thanks to everyone for your advice & support!!! This was one of the most incredible things I have done!

April
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6