BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-12-11 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!

NAME: Peter A. K. (NOT from Alaska)

STORY: Did my first triathlon three years ago and thought I was going to drown on the swim and have a heart attack on the run.  It was a super sprint...  The 2007 season was capped off with a sub 12 hour Ironman Wisconsin which put me in the top 25% overall.  Woot!

FAMILY STATUS: Recently engaged!  Lori is also an IMWI finisher and an amazing athlete. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Um, yeah.  I've been enjoying post Ironman bliss.  In theory I've been training for a half mary for 6 weeks now, but I have been slacking.  As I did in 2007, January will be the start of my training in earnest.  I hired a coach for IMWI this year and it was great.  I will likely not be hiring a coach this year but following training plans from BT and modifying them as I believe is best for me.  I will likely hire a coach again for my Ironman race in 2009. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007 races:
Trailbreaker Half Marathon
Wildflower Oly
Lake Mills Sprint
Elkhart Lake Oly
Horribly Hilly 100k bike tour
Racine Half Ironman
Ironman Wisconsin

2008 RACES:  Taking 2008 off from Ironman, the plan is to do two half IM's, High Cliff and Steelhead, the sprint at Lake Mills, and two Oly's, Wildflower and Elkhart Lake.  There will be some mountain bike racing and maybe, just maybe, a road race or two thrown in the mix for fun.

WEIGHTLOSS: I changed my diet LOTS to succeed at the iron distance and recover and gain strength effectively.  While I'm a skinny dood I welcome the opportunity to mentor people who are getting active to shed some pounds.  Tri is a great way to do it--so many success stories, and I can't think of a more fun way to make some new friends who share your new lifestyle and have a blast training and racing with.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I spend way too much time thinking about triathlon.  I'm never going to qualify for Kona.  But I will do well at smaller events and I really think I have more speed to be developed.  I credit my success so far to solid nutrition planning and generally following a plan, but not so rigidly that I can't modify it based on what my body tells me.  I'm on the board of directors for TriWisconsin, our local tri club.  In summary, tri is a fun sport and a social outlet for me.  I know how to put the work in, but not overtrain or go so crazy that the fun is lost.

The last few years my summer schedule has been dictated by my race schedule.  I will be taking another run at Ironman in 2009, and the 2008 season will be dedicated to improving upon the base I've got and the lessons I learned doing IMWI.  I'm not the most technical athlete--I've only done running intervals two times, ever.  But, I'll interact with you, share my knowledge, challenge you now and then, and learn from you too.

All are welcome, it would be fun to have a good mix of veterans and newbies.  So, who wants to have some fun???

Please post a bio, a bit of your backgound, what you want to accomplish short and long term, and let us know if you prefer cherry or cola slurpees!

NOTE TO DONKEYS: I'll take only one of you as a mentee.  Gotta spread the love, ya know?

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WITH REGARD TO DONKEYS: Don't worry about it, but you will know soon, and you will be entertained!

Edited by PeterAK 2007-12-13 6:25 PM

2007-12-11 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1094997

Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: OPEN
Heck - sign me up dude!  You know my bio already I think from last May's group.  But I'll update it for any others that join in!
2007-12-13 12:00 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Welcome Dave!  Glad to have you.  Now get that bio up in this thread for everyone else!
2007-12-13 9:59 AM

Regular
Are beginner beginners ok?

NAME: Tautery/Teresa

STORY: Hadn't done any regular exercise (er, any really) for 19 years (was a champion swimmer as a young person). In Sept 2007, I announced to my co-workers that I was going to a triathlon before a meeting started. It was only slightly less random than it sounds as I'd toyed with the idea of doing one for my 36th birthday gift for the next year. Since I announced it to 30 people, I figured I'd better, y'know, actually do it.

I grew up in Madison, Fond du Lac, little time in MN, then back to Green Bay. I'm in Ohio now, but my heart and my home are still in WI.

FAMILY STATUS: one daughter, 11, who sees me having so much fun, she's looking into it too. She is an aspiring hurdler, but have pretty incredible endurance

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been using the couch - sprint program here, in combination with the coolrunning.com couch to 5k. Running is coming along very slowly, but I have made significant cardio improvements. As a holiday gift, I've engaged a personal trainer for core and weight workouts as they haven't improved at all.

I train alone because the idea of having a conversation while running just floors me. Continuing to breathe is all the planning I can manage. And you can't talk while swimming, so, yeah. I'm comfortable enough with the workouts, but I know I will start having tons of "how's-this-work?" questions. I'd also appreciate any and all advice along the way.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Flying Feather four-miler Thanksgiving 2007. I ran 5 min, walked 3 min for a total time of 51 minutes. this is a huge accomplishment for me as I really struggle with the running.

2008 RACES: (and why I picked a WI mentor)
- I'd really like to do the Egg Harbor sprint tri in July 2008, unless you guys tell me it sucks, then I'll pick a different WI one. My family is still there, and they don't think I can do it, so I'd like to surprise them.
- I'll also be doing a sprint tri here in Ohio in April, assuming the trainer can help me improve my strength. That one's a cheater one though, the swim is in a pool. It's a dress rehersal for the WI ones
- I plan to participate in at least 1 5k/month too. I feel the only way to overcome obstacles is to run head first at them. I might crash (though I didn't on the 4 miler), but I'll likely get over them.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I started thinking I'd lose weight, but I haven't. I had a super strict diet for the first three months, where I weighed, measured, logged and calculated absolutely everything. I went without a lot, I was stressed from the pressure of maintaining that, and lost a grand total of five pounds for my trouble. Ferget that noise. I went back to eating "sensible", but not stressing, and I've lost 3 lbs this month.

I have gained a great deal of muscle mass, I am a different shape, just the scale hasn't moved at all. I'm a big gal, I pay "obese" insurance rates because my BMI is above 25, so I have 50 lbs to lose. If it melts away over the next year, that's cool. If it doesn't, oh well. Weight is no longer my focus in the project. Finishing is.
2007-12-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1099675

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Welcome Teresa!  What a great story you've got.  Lucky for you the swimming should come back pretty easy as you get fitter.  You may find that the tough part is that open water is a whole different animal than the pool, so good for you finding a first race that is in a pool.  Congrats on the success with the four miler!!!  I will never forget the first time I ran five miles non stop, and maybe this could be a goal for you next year?  (for me that was only two years ago, by the way)

The couch to sprint plan is a great stepping stone.  I can totally relate to starting from scratch, and I consider myself a success story there.  My fiance is an athena.  According to the experts she is overweight but that's a bunch of crap.  She is a fit and strong woman.  I encourage you to focus on fitness rather than the scale, and it sounds like you've already figured out the fact that you have to focus on your increasing athletic abilities rather than a number like bmi or weight.

I don't know anything about the Egg Harbor sprint but maybe I'll drive up and do it with you!  Start looking for those 5k's now.  One a month is a lot--remember that over the summer you will (if I have my way with you) have cycles of building and rest.  If you race every month, you will need to make sure you plan accordingly and do not overdo it!

I grew up in LaCrosse, where did you spend time in MN? 

So, tell us a bit about more about the workouts you are doing these days.  Core is super important for all three sports, and weights are good.  But, cardio is king.  Have you been doing some run/walks?  Do you have a bike yet?  Access to a pool?  A bit more info on this stuff will be helpful too.

Great start to the group so far!!!

2007-12-13 1:57 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Hello.  My name's Phil, and I already hooked up with a different mentor because you didn't get here fast enough!

But I'll be sure to pop in every once in a while to harass give you some inspires, too.

EEEEAAAAWWWWWW!!!

2007-12-13 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

we interupt this forum to bring peterAK a very important update:

ROCKY'S!!!!  GAME ON!!!!

we now return you to your regularily scheduled forum...................

2007-12-13 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Hi there...

I'd like to join

Brief Bio:

44 years old - Former athlete ..... in College '81- 86 - NCAA DIV III Diving Qualifier (32nd in nation)

Smoked for 23 years - quit Nov 29, 2004

Married/Divorced/ remarried - 2 daughters 16 & 14 who have no interest at all in Tri - but that's OK

Work as executive in Financial Industry - but still feel like a goofy kid most of the time

Tri backround 2007 was 1st season

Ballooned up to 227 lbs in August of '06 - started training to take some weight off - figured TRI would be a good way to stay motivated....got down to 189 in June/July of 07

Competed in 1 sprint tri in June - did OK but was slow run

Registered and showed but DNS'd Pleasant Prairie in August - was not comfortable racing on bike in the rain, probably a safe decision but it won't happen again - I'll be riding in the rain this season.

Swimming is strong event - did 2 mile OWS in 43 minutes last year - 3rd in AG

Biking still slow -  Running needs most work

Currently at 202lbs following a layoff for hernia surgery but now getting back in to it... I find the mentor groups helpful in staying motivated

signed up for indoor series this winter to stay focused and have fun

Edited by daveo1101 2007-12-13 8:19 PM
2007-12-13 4:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-13 4:55 PM

Colorado

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-02-15 12:07 AM
2007-12-13 5:06 PM

Master
Living in the past

Peter:

Count me in, please. I'll have to post the BIO this weekend.

2007-12-13 5:09 PM
in reply to: #1100507

Elite
In The Peleton

Welcome Dave!  Congrats on being smoke free for over three years!  That's great stuff.  You mentioned your high and low weights, along with where you are now.  What do you perceive as your goal weight?  How do you feel?  As I mentioned above the important thing is that you are eating well within reason and building your fitness.  

As long as you finished you did great in your sprint this year.  It's now your benchmark for improvement next year.

How is the hernia recovery going?  I don't know much about recovery time etc. so be sure to fill me in.

What's the scoop with the indoor series you mention?  Is it group workouts?

Glad to have ya!  Hope to cross paths with you this summer at some events.

2007-12-13 5:13 PM

Master
Living in the past
PeterAK - 2007-12-11 10:46 AM

NOTE TO DONKEYS: I'll take only one of you as a mentee.  Gotta spread the love, ya know?

U serious about the concentration of donkeys in the group? If so, bummer...and since DJDAVEY got here first, please disregard my earlier submittal/request....sniff.

2007-12-13 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1100762

Elite
In The Peleton

Hilary, I nominate you for Best. First. Post. EVER!  On BT.  Welcome to the madness!  Glad my trip from suffering with terror to suffering in glory brought you in.

Good plan to start with the sprint.  See how the first one goes and set more goals from there.  The big 4-0 huh?  I heard 40 is the new 23 or something like that... 

I hear you about sharing the road with cars.  I'm a pretty defensive rider and choose my routes based on traffic and shoulder condition.  Swimming is hard.  No doubt about it.  My coach helped a great deal with that, and I view the swim as a warm up for the rest of a tri.

Running is definately the hardest of the three sports for me too.  If you look at my rankings broken down for s/b/r I'm always higher on the swim and bike than the run.  Starting the season off with a winter half mary will definately help with the races for the year.

As for weight loss, what makes it hard for you to keep it off?  Do you need help with consistency with working out or eating habits?  Tel me more about this.

Danskin is a GREAT way for women to get into this sport.  I'm working on a little plan with jszat on here to put together a Manskin for us guys, but we'll talk about that later...

2007-12-13 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1100770

Elite
In The Peleton

Andria!  Welcome!  I grew up in LaCrosse and live in Milwaukee.  I spent the summer of 2000 in Westinster, CO!  I finished law school in May 2000, put my mountain bike in the car and went to stay with one of my college roommates for the summer.  Lots of rides up at Walkers Ranch, some time in Crested Butte, hikes in Rocky Nat'l forest.  You have lots of great places to exercise there.

Glad you have a group like CWW to get involved in.  Tell us a bit more about it, are there group workouts you can join in?  I do most of my training alone, but that doesn't work for everyone.  Over the winter I love having someone counting on me to meet at the gym and ride the bike together.  Helps overcome the gravitational pull of the couch.

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit!  Let me share something with you guys.  I hate cancer.  I lost my dad to non-hodgekins lymphoma in March of 2000.  My mom is just over a year past her breast cancer diagnosis (and doing great).  I eat lots of blueberries and take my vitimin C supplements.  Carcinogens are not your friend.  Anti-oxidants are your friends.

How is the Lupus management going?  Please teach us a bit about it and how it impacts you.  I imagine that this will be factored into your training programs to a significant degree.

Great goals.  Have you tried swimming with a pull buoy?  It will allow you to work on your stroke and build swim specific upper body strength without hurting your foot.

Glad to have you!

2007-12-13 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1100839

2007-12-13 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1100848

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Zilla - 2007-12-13 5:32 PM

Please accept my humble request to partake in your mentoring group.  I would be ever so honored if you would consider me "one of your own". 

I will write up a bio later when I'm done polishing my tiara.  Thank you for your time. 

Awwwwwwriiiiiiight, Zilla!  And don't miss a spot doing the spit shine.

2007-12-13 6:24 PM

Elite
In The Peleton

Alrighty!!!  Everyone who has asked to be in so far is in--and that includes you Force!

I gotta run to put some time on the trainer but I'll do more reading and posting later.  Zilla, Force, and DASpanglers, get those bios done!

So excited for the group! 

2007-12-13 6:26 PM

Veteran
San Antonio
Peter,

Count me in if there is still room.

Bio:

I used to be a competitive athlete - baseball and running. But that was 20 years ago. I got married, got lazy and got fat. Now I am a 39 year old 218 lb married to a woman that can cook really, really well. I have always had an interest in triathlon, but did not have the interest in actually doing the work and training for one. Well, after a near health scare earlier this year I decided to do somthing about it. I began to work with the couch to sprint tri plan here. Well, my wife and I suffered through a rough pregnancy and eventually went through a 3rd miscarriage at 22 weeks and that really had us down for a while.

Finally decided to pick my butt up and get back to it. I wrote up a training plan and this week is my first week on the plan.

Goals: I have signed up for the Lone Star sprint triathlon in Galveston (Houston) TX on 3/30/08 and have intentions of doing another 5 or 6 throughout the year capping off with the Longhorn 1/2 IM on 10/04. The HIM is a lofty goal, but as long as I stick to my plan I'll suceed.

Running and cycling are my strenghs as I am comfortable with them. Swimming is entirely a different animal. I just need time in the pool to get used to it. My training plan has me swimming at least 4 days a week and if I don't progress as i would like to, then I'll get lessons. Actually I'll get them no matter what, but maybe just sooner.

Anyway, I just need someone to kick me in the rear every now and then when I get lazy. I am a lazy person in general, but looking to put that behind me. Looking forward to the comaraderie!
2007-12-13 6:30 PM

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!
Eric, you made it in the nick of time.  You're in!  And that's it!
2007-12-13 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1100965

Edited by Zilla 2007-12-13 6:45 PM

2007-12-13 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1100839

Colorado
Thank you Peter. My grandparents lived not far from La Crosse, in Black River Falls, and I have several friends living in Milwaukee and....hmmmm, one of those suburbs starting with a "Wau" : )

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-02-15 1:29 PM
2007-12-13 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1100825

2007-12-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1100291

Regular
Message to Andria at the bottom!

To Peter:
Oh yes, I'd like to be able to run the entire 4-miler next year. I'd like to be able to run the entire 3.1 miles this year, which isn't entirely out of the question. I overcame a huge mental block two weeks ago. I found out that if I will myself to just keep a pace and keep going, I do in fact keep going. I will have many other accomplishments on this journey, but I doubt any will be as sweet as the day I jogged for 20 minutes without stopping. Less than 60 days before that, I couldn't run for 60 seconds. it was the "Heart-attack" while running comment that hooked me into your group as well. I really did think I was having a heart attack, or would be shortly. My heart rate wouldn't come down from 120, even an hour after I was done exercising. I've been thoroughly checked by doctors. There's nothing wrong with me beyond a few panic attacks, and a neurotic disposition.

I don't have my heart set on 5k each month. Heck, I don't even have thoughts on which ones I'd do. It's more a matter of setting goals, and, if I can be honest, collecting t-shirts. I'm still new enough at this that the t-shirts and penguin medals and various other do-dads thrill me. They're proof to myself that I did this. But no, not at the expense of my durability.

I lived in Blaine, MN, just outside the Twin Cities, then moved a little south to Faribault, MN. I had the best swim coach in the entire world in Blaine. Then I moved. Ick.

My workouts, I'm not very creative, and don't remember the specific swimming workouts. I'm following the couch to sprint workouts pretty religiously, except for the running parts. For running, I used the coolrunning.com couch to 5k, and I'm on week 7. This week I jog for 25 min, next week it will be 28, the following week 30. Then I'm done with that program, sooooo, I think I will just keep doing 30 mins, 3/week until I feel comfortable speeding it up a little? Or should I keep building a few min/week up to 50min or so? I'm thinking the keep building endurance would be better. I doubt I'm going more than 1.5 miles in my 20 min jogs, I jog pretty slow, so I should probably build to the 3.1 mile distance?

I've had a couple hiccough weeks, but I've been pretty good about maintaining
Mon - stationary bike, Tues - run and swim, Wed - bike and weights, Thurs - run and swim, Fri - bike and weights, Sat - run and swim

I do have a modest hybrid bike, and have priced less knobby tires. It feels very short to me. I know I haven't grown in the five years since I bought it, I think it's just I'm used to the stationary bikes, which is not so great. I do need to get on the road more.

I have both a Y-gym membership and a company sponsored rec center membership. I uh, forgot I had the Y one when I signed up for the rec center one. Pools galore. Both gyms have decent weight facilities, and I have been doing the workouts recommended on the site. I haven't seen much of any power improvement though. I meet with the athletic trainer after the first of the year. Chances are good I'm not doing the exercises the right way, and I should probably do different ones. I am not as fast a swimmer as I expected I would be. I do not know why I expected I would be fast right away. It took me two solid years of swim practices before I made even decent times. Speed is built on a good solid endurance foundation. I know this, but I still want to go fast NOW.

To Andria:
I think it would be very difficult to do the crawl arms, with the frog kick. But consider the source here, I am not not the most coordinated cat in town. The flutter kick has a 1-2 beat, up-down from your ankles (ow) and hips. The arm stroke is also a fairly basic rocking 1-2 beat. The frog kick has three beats, plus a glide. I'm sitting here, trying to think about...you know how you scrunch all up when you do the breaststroke, and then the glide? I'm not sure how you'd be able to maintain the constant arms of crawl, with that.

The reason I'm putting thought into this is I have a badly damaged right ankle from a cross-country ski accident. My ankle also really hurts with too much flutter kick, and I also frog kick to give it some rest when I need to. For now, I'm swimming after running which is not making it easy on my ankle. I had been using pull-buoys if I've twisted it on the run, which (knock on wood) I haven't done frequently. However, I'll have to give the frog kick/crawl arms a try.
2007-12-13 10:53 PM
in reply to: #1100976

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!

Zilla - 2007-12-13 6:39 PM I guess I'm a veteran beginner againer ....

NAME: PRINCESS

FICTIONAL STORY:
No excuses NOT to be out there doing it (but have lots of them)

WEIGHTLOSS:
I need to lose fat. I am okay with the way I look. I have a lot of muscle and wouldn't mind more but I have at least 15lbs of pure jiggly excess fat that can take a hike! My diet is AWFUL .. really could use help there.  I have an additional 8 lbs of something that I need to get off my chest (last guesstimate).

Hey, Zilla.  I fixed those for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27