BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2007-12-13 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard!

WELCOME!!!

Here's our team with links to all of our training logs (courtesy of Kevin - thanks!)

Marina = Marina
Kevin = Bopper
Jennifer = Jenni4
Paul = begining triathlete
Trina-Rae= SpiritFire
Jim = jblt4
Shannon = smh 23
Ian = ILowe
Salma = Salma
Lindsay = luckylinds

NAME:
Marina

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I've benefited greatly from my membership at BT and wish to give back. I'm online nearly everyday and enjoy following everyone's triathlon trials and tribulations through the blogs. I want to create a supportive and fun group where we can challenge and encourage each other.

I think that I am knowledgeable enough about tri training, but know my limits. Besides, BT has articles and threads that can pretty much address any question that I have had and likely could ever come up with. I can certainly point everyone to appropriate resources and I am pleased answer further questions based on my understanding and experience.

STORY: Doing a triathlon was on my "to do" list so I did my first tri in 2005 and been hooked ever since (like most you'll meet here at BT). Before that, I ran and mountain biked a little, but had never been a swimmer. I've played ice hockey since I was a tot all the way through college and now recreationally. I'm a goalie which typically characterizes me as being a little strange. I do tend to walk to the beat of my own drum, but outwardly appear normal (I hope!). I fund my extracurricular activities by posing as a transportation engineer by day.

FAMILY STATUS:
Single with dog (Frankie, a bearded collie who makes a wonderful training partner).
I admire those with families who manage to excel at this sport. I find fitting in all of my planned workouts a challenge and I only really have me to worry about!

CURRENT TRAINING: I like the BT plans and will be starting the Half Ironman program in February. Right now, I'm getting back into the swing of tri training after focusing on the run. I'm planning to do a whole lot of swimming over the next month to improve my technique, more than anything.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I had a shortened and strange 2007 season. I was to do my first Olympic, but the race was called due to a thunderstorm. I was to do my first half iron race, but broke my big toe (in two spots) a week before the race (clumsily fell down some stairs but wish that I had a better story). I was training for a late summer marathon, but that was thwarted by the toe. I was finally able to run again and finished my second marathon (California International) ever just a couple of weeks ago.

2008 RACES: I have two half IM races on the books along with a smattering of olympic and sprints distances. I also hope to do another fall marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has fluctuated through injury and illness over the past couple of years. By May 2008, I want to hit my goal weight which means at least a 30lb drop.

Thanks for reading my rambling all the way to the bottom ;). Hope to hear from you!

Edited by marina 2008-04-05 10:37 AM

2007-12-25 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1099933

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Bopper 2007-12-27 10:30 AM
2007-12-26 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1116621

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Welcome Bopper!

Welcome Kevin! I know that you've been kicking around my log and those of the other crazies westerners online and it will be nice to get to know you better over the next few months.

Injuries suck. I have found that staying positive and that accepting that the setbacks of the body is just a part of life's ups and downs has kept this super-competitive recovering perfectionist sane! Hopefully, we can both become better at monitoring our bodies and our training to heed the warning signs while being gentle with ourselves during recovery.

Happy Boxing Day!

Edited by marina 2007-12-28 7:19 AM
2007-12-26 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1116764

2007-12-27 7:09 AM

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marina's Mah-velous Group >>> OPEN
BUMP!

Shamelessly adding to my posts total...
2007-12-27 8:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
I would like to join your group

NAME: Jennifer

BIO: I am in my fifth year of college. I've changed majors (started out in Aerospace Engineering and switched to Mechanical Engineering), changed schools (needed a new environment, plus I got engaged), added a second major (need to stay a full time student for financial aid purposes so I added on Industrial Engineering which I've come to like more than the Mechanical Engr), and have taken two Springs/Summers off to intern.

I haven't played in a sport since I was in fifth grade and even then I wasn't very coordinated. In high school I was in the color guard for the marching band and did winter guard in the off season (Sport of the Arts as the call it). There was lots of running, dancing, lifting, and tossing. Although it helped me slim down and have some sense of coordination, it took a heavy toll on my body with lots of injuries, including injuring my back and hip. That big injury forced me into physical therapy which then led me to yoga, which I've been doing ever since and love. I was going to quit my senior year, I felt so old, I couldn't make up the stairs to my locker hardly. But I moved back to the town I went to elementary school in and continued with a less competitive color guard for marching season only. I also took up weight lifting that year and loved it. I was strong.

I went off to college and did well with a lot of walking until I took off for an internship and commuted 3 hours a day. Its been down hill since this past spring when I joined a weight challenge program which helped me loose 10 lbs for summer vacation. I worked hard over the summer since all I had were a couple of easy classes. I did a lot of yoga. This fall i wasn't feeling all that great because I gained back that 10 lbs and a couple more but as I discovered in Tai Chi class all that yoga had paid off. I was one of the most flexible people in my class, and it was a class of my peers, actually most were a couple years younger. I felt exhilarated; a few years a go my hip hurt so much that I could hardly make it up the stairs to my locker, now I was one of the most flexible in a class of my peers. All thanks to continued efforts through yoga and other physical activities. It was inspiring and led me to ask for a pair a really nice tennis shoes for running. If I could change my flexibility like that then who knows what I can do with the right efforts, run a 5K, compete in a triathlon? Well, I'm going to find out and along the way I'm going to transform my body and mind.

TRIATHLON STORY: Well, I asked for a pair of Nike+ shoes for Christmas along with the Nike+ ipod thing in order to get myself in shape and slimmed down for my wedding in October 2008 and push myself physically. I got to thinking that training for a 5K would be a great goal that didn't necessarily focus on the scale but would yield results in that area. I got around to looking for some in the area because the only one I knew of took place in September at the Soybean Festival. As I got to surfing the web, I found that there were quite a few triathlons in the area. I thought I can do a triathlon. So, I hit the pool on campus to check out my swimming to make sure I could work up to this. I got what I asked for for Christmas and am ready to kick things into high gear.

RACES: There's an annual beginner's triathlon in Nashville around Memorial Day, so I plan to do that and depending on how that goes, another in Arkansas late summer. And then I would also like to run the 5K at the Soybean Festival around Labor Day.

TRAINING:Well, for the next few weeks I'll be working on getting my run on and weightlifting wit h some biking mixed in after the New Year. The campus I attend has a nice indoor pool so when classes start up again I'll be hitting the pool in the mornings, alternating biking and running, throwing in some weight sessions, and keep up with yoga and Tai Chi to help prevent injury and keep everything aligned properly.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged and getting married in October, 1 dog-Lab mix

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm definitely looking to loose some weight, slim down, and get toned. I want to lose about 30lbs, but more importantly feel great and look in shape and toned.

2007-12-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1118161

2007-12-27 2:45 PM

New user

South Pasadena, CA
NAME: Paul

BIO: I hope my bio doesn't scare you away Marina. I used to be fairly athletic, playing sports in high school and lifting weight recreationally in my teens. Somewhere along the way I snow-balled out of shape. I now stand 5' 11" tall at 235 lbs. I have tried unsucessfully several times to get back into shape. I got close a couple times, but just couldnt't get over that final hump. I want to become a triathlete because I like the fact there are shorter distance races I can strive for which can serve as a concrete goals in my mind. Triatalons seem like the perfect all around fitness programs.

I hope I can get into this group and get advice from you. From your BIO you seem like you have a great personality and outlook. Thanks.
2007-12-27 3:21 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Marina - can I join? ;-)

STORY: I moved to Victoria in late 2006 and didn't know a soul here, and found my lonliness combined with my new home caused my training plan to really slip, then the eating started, so a weight gain was inevitable. January 2007 I joined a triathlon club just to get my lazy butt back on track, and to meet people, and immediately became crazed by the triathlon addiction! I ran a lot when I lived in Calgary, competed in several 5K/10K races, but didn't know how to swim or bike. I hired additional swim coaches and bought a great bling road bike, and wow how it has changed my life!
Summer 2007 I completed two sprint distance and did the cycling portion of an Oly on a relay team, as well as continuing to run my 5K/10K races.

FAMILY STATUS: single with a Belgian Shepherd who demands a lot of my time.

WORK/SCHOOL STATUS: I work full-time in emergency services, and although I am lucky enough to work straight days I unfortunately work 12-hour shifts and have to get up at 0430, so training on work days is a bit of a challenge. I also go to school full-time, however thankfully am doing it online so can study around the rest of my life. I'm studying Holistic Nutrition, will be finished in June, and plan to open my own business at that time (and hopefully get out of shift-work!).

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't been doing much the past few months, mostly just yoga, due to an injury in the fall of 2007 (torn plantar fascia). Even though I've had my doc's OK to get out there again, I am having a hard time getting motivated. Due to tragic circumstances my wonderful tri club is not meeting this year as a full tri club, however the spin sessions are still ongoing and absolutely invaluable. My work also has an informal triathlon club, but workouts are on your own (emailed around weekly) and I haven't been very good at the honour system!
What I need more than anything is a good kick in the butt and someone to be accountable to.

My training goal this off-season is to really ramp up my cycling, which is my weakest of the three and I want to make it the strongest. I have only been swimming for a year and feel all I need to work on there is improving my endurance. As for running, if I can just keep it steady then I'll be happy.

RACING PLANS: I am tentatively doing some races in the Island Race Series on Vancouver Island Jan-Apr, mostly 5K and 10K's, however it is work dependant (I work a lot of weekends). I am definately doing a sprint distance tri in July, and my 'goal' race is an Oly in August. As well, I am committed to heading back to Alberta in early June and participating in the Banff-Jasper relay. My relay leg is 18K, all uphill, rated "hard". I'm also tentatively considering the San Francisco Marathon in October (mostly b/c I just want a Tiffany's necklace). ;-)

Happy to see a Canadian group on here! Thanks Marina! Look forward to your butt-kicking!

2007-12-27 3:29 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
OOPS!

2007-12-27 3:40 PM

Veteran
Peabody MA
Hi, I hope you can still take another newbie on.........I hope.

Name:JIM

STORY: Complete newbie to TRI. I ride a bike though... a lot....a little over 1800 miles this year. Running I am up to 3 miles at a slow pace. Swimming, well, i haven't sank to the bottom of the pool yet.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. Empty Nesters now and we are looking for a new challenge!

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing the BT sprint 20 week training plan once I hit my base goals of:running 30 min (got it) bicycling 30 min (that too) swimming 20 min (that pool bottom is not going to get me).

THIS YEARS RACE: The Witch City Sprint Tri in Salem Ma.

WEIGH LOSS: Don't think I can lose any more...sitting at 150lbs. A little muscle would be nice.

So if you'll have me........

JD

2007-12-27 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1118409

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the welcome I look forward to learning
2007-12-27 6:19 PM

2007-12-27 6:51 PM

Veteran
Peabody MA
Thanks Bopper! Should be a "fun" year!
2007-12-27 7:35 PM

New user

Greetings from Snowy Nebraska:

I would love to be a part of this mentor group if there is room!

My name is Shannon and I'm 32 years old.

Triathlon Story: I used to work for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in St. Louis. We had a wonderful program called Team In Training, where we trained ordinary people to do either a marathon, century rides (100 mile bike ride) and triathlons. I didn't have the opportunity to participate in this program while I was employed but now that I have left the organization, it is my dream to do one. It was so inspiring to see someone who has fought cancer compete in events such as triathlons. What they went through was so amazing, that I knew that I had to do one. I am planning on doing a sprint triathlon the first weekend of May. I was doing well in my training in September and October but for some reason, I backed off completely in November and December. I'm looking forward to getting back on track after the first of the year.

Races: I'm a complete newbie to the triathlon. I did however, complete a half marathon this past April in St. Louis. The triathlon I'm training for will be held the first weekend in May. I really would like to do a dualton in the summer.

Training: I was running a mile (not much but HUGE for me) and swimming 1500 ft three times a week. My biggest concern is the running aspect...not a big runner. I enjoy biking and know that out of the three it will be the easier of the three.

Family: I have a wonderful boyfriend of the past two years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will ask me to marry him soon! All my family is living in eastern Iowa-I just recently moved to Nebraska 6 months ago.

Weight Loss: I want to loose 30 pounds by the summer and get toned.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you and sharing my experience with all of you.
Shannon
2007-12-27 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1119492

2007-12-27 9:19 PM

2007-12-27 10:56 PM

British Columbia

Another Crazy Westerner!!!!!!!

Name: Ian.

Age 35

Location Abbotsford BC

Goal: Sprint Tri's 3-4??

I would love to join this mentor group,I just joined BT yestarday and look foward to using this organized resourse.

I'm a recerational runner(releives work stress) Bought a bike last year and enjoyed it for 4 month.I can swim but havent done anything serious.

For many summers I have watched the Ironman in Penticton and have been so inspired by all the athletes that take part.Looking to do about 3 or 4 Sprint tri's this year.

I would like to joing this group,could'nt help but notice all the fellow country men /women.

Take Care.

Look foward to hearing back.

2007-12-28 1:33 AM

Chicago IL (via Vancouver Canada)
Hi Marina

I'd like to join the group - from Vancouver BC living in Chicago right now.

MY STORY: I always wanted to do a triathlon before a i turned 40. So in 2005 I enrolled in a super sprint and got hooked. My main reason for doing Tri's is stress relief and the benefits of training. Im not super fast or strong and recently gained about 20 lbs, so my aim is weight loss right now.

TRAINING: I have been swimming for about 10 years, just laps at the local pool. I also enjoyed weight training and rode my bike all over Vancouver. So running is the big emphasis for me in my training. I need to get my running legs. Im not at that point where i love it yet, (like I do swimming) but I'm sure it will happen soon.

My bike legs are pretty weak too. I always just leisurely rode my bike, and I just don't have much power and did I mention I hate hills!. My swim has become better. I i do drills and laps whenever I can, and I am now used to my wet suit and open water. Recently got the TI triathlon swim package (DVD and book) and learned to improve my stroke. Made quite a difference.

2007 RACES: Last year i slowed down a bit, Subaru Triathlon in Naperville, IL, (Sprint, Women's only), Danskin Sprint in Pleasant Prairie, WI, and Accenture Chicago, Sprint. I was suffering an injury from the beginning of training last year, and I got shin splints, and a nagging pain in my knee. I got some great insoles and immediately the pain disappeared. The weekend I received them, I went out and slowly jogged a Half Marathon. It took me 3 hours of walking /running moments, but my knee held out. I feel hopeful again

PREVIOUS MEMORABLE RACES: My favourite is always Accenture. It is so big. Naperville is so pretty, and that race is a great way to jump start. I enjoy some runs too, like the Soldier Field 10M and the Chicago Distance Classic 1/2 marathon.

GOALS: Short term, I need to get the weight down and the body back in shape. Aiming for 2lbs a week, and to gain additional strength and my running legs. Long term, I havent signed up yet, but i'm hoping to do the Olympic distance at Accenture this year. I want to see how my knee holds up, so I will wait until end of January.

PHYSICAL CHALLENGES: Nothing major thank goodness. I do have a high heart rate that spikes once in a while. The doctor calls it MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse). It stops me from really pushing it when i first start up, since that accelerated heart rate scares me a bit sometimes. After a couple of months of training, the HR will level out. Ill keep you all informed

When I first found out that MVP was noting to be concerned over (only monitored), I did have to change my approach to training. I had to focus more on Target Heart Rate Zone training. I feel much slower but I notice I go faster. And on race day i can kick it !!!

FAMILY: I have a husband who has the fast twitch muscles. He cant swim well or else he'd be competing with me. A 14 year old step son, that never misses an opportunity to come out and ride with me. I am 4 courses away from finishing my BA in Business (be done in May) and I know I'll be announcing it to everyone

MY OBSESSION: I analyze everything, the calories, the speed, distance covered, training logs, vitamins, nutrition. It's obsessive. I'd love to obsess about the bike but I don't have the $$$. I ride a sporty Trek 1000 from 2004, Its nice. I will upgrade once I feel more powerful.

Well thanks for reading. I'd love to join this group, and share training thoughts, as well as learn how to use some of these tracking tools.

Salma
2007-12-28 4:57 AM

Hi Marina,

I have been playing with the idea of doing a triathlon for a few years now, and decided this was as good a time as any to set the goal! I must admit, the thought of running across the finish line exhausted and exhilirated, knowing that I pushed myself further than I ever have and accomplished something no one in my family, or even my circle of friends has ever done keeps me up at night with heart pounding excitement and anticipation! I am aiming for the My First Triathlon in Harrison, BC in July and while looking up some info online I happened upon this website and mentorship program and am excited to join and be a part of the group.

I have been incredibly active in the past, and love to push and challenge myself to accomplish greater feats; however, due to injuries and poor lifestyle choices over the past few years, I have gotten myself into quite a physical fitness mess. I have a large amount of weight to lose to get to my healthy weight/height range, and am hoping that I can still train without my weight becoming an issue or deterrent.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and seeing how the next 6 months unfold, as well as how the support and mentorship that this group has to offer will play out in my personal goals and dreams.

Talk to you soon,
Lindsay
2007-12-28 6:50 AM

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Marina's Mah-velous Group --- Closed

We're full!!

Welcome all! I guess that Kevin (Bopper) has beaten me to the welcome for the most part, but hey, I'm on vacation.   As well, Kevin will be my mentoring partner. Now you have two of us to answer to!

First, I take the idea of mentoring as being more about support and encouragement, especially to those completely new to the sport and to physical activity. I'm no coach but I think that we all have experiences to share in the realm of tri training as well as life that can be equally valuable.

What I love about this sport is that there is always room for improvement and that we are a usually racing against ourselves. I like the idea of challenging each other and hope to have each of us set weekly goals where we can be more accountable to ourselves and each other. My goal for my first tri and every one after that was to "finish with a smile". You know what? Every single photo of me during my first tri sees me grinning from ear to ear!

Second of all, I haven't checked out your logs yet, but please take advantage of the BT training logs.  They are the best that I've seen anywhere and are a great way to see what others are up to, get encouragement from the "inspire" feature, and set up a plan.

Third, I would suggest taking a look at some of the training plans on the site to gage the duration and distances to work up to in training. I know that I can get way too ambitious without a plan and that can be dangerous with respect to burnout and injury. Remember, no plan is going to fit one's schedule perfectly because we do have lives outside the sport. Or, at least I think that we should since we're not elite athletes and I know that I need a good balance to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Let's get ready to rock!!

2007-12-28 7:18 AM

Master
Saskatchewan

Here's our team with links to all of our training logs (courtesy of Kevin - thanks!)

Marina  = Marina
Kevin    = Bopper
Jennifer = Jenni4
Paul      = begining triathlete
Trina-Rae= SpiritFire
Jim        = jblt4
Shannon = smh 23
Ian        = ILowe
Salma     = Salma
Lindsay   = luckylinds

Jenn, yay for Santa bringing the goods! Strength training and yoga and Tai Chi are great cross-training. I regularly attended yoga class while training for my first marathon and credit it with making me a better runner. And, another engineer! Except, being the civil variety, I don't really like moving parts in anything that I design. ;)

Hey Paul! The triathlon lifestyle is a great all-round for fitness -- welcome to the challenge. I'm one that needs some sort of external goal, like a race, to get me motivated to get out and exercise. Then, after a while, it feels good and I ask myself "why was it so hard to start when this is what I was missing?" I admit, I'm an endorphin junkie.

TR - It stinks that your tri club isn't as supportive anymore. I like to train by myself, but I have realized that going out for a run or ride with others helps me improve more than I could just being on my own. Calgary has become a triathlon mecca so I'm sure you'll find a gang to train with once you're there (I lived there for 6 months last year). Holistic nutrition! Awesome! You so don't want to see what I've been eating of late...LOL.

Hey Jim! "That pool bottom is not going to get me"...I still worry about that too!! Good to see you already gearing up your distances in training.

Shannon, Team-in-Training is everywhere!! I am always inspired when I see the familiar purple shirts on the race course. Congrats on building your way up to a half marathon. You now know what it takes to reach that goal so a tri should be a breeze!!

Hello Ian! I'm jealous of your location -- my goal is to get to IM Canada this year or next to register. BT really does have so many resources to help you get organized.

Salma, I'm with on your obsession with the numbers. Fortunately, or unfortunately, this site has a gazillion ways to analyze out training data! It sounds like you have become in tune with your body and HR - it's a great metric to monitor progress. 

Hey, Lindsay!  Congrats on setting the goal! With the start of tri training, weight loss and muscle will follow. It's important to ease into things though.

Edited by marina 2007-12-28 7:23 AM
2007-12-28 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1119892

2007-12-28 12:12 PM

British Columbia

Hello everyone!!!

So glad to make the cut.I'm still trying hard to figre this site out I just signed on about 3 days ago.My goal is to try to find a plan that fits my busy schedule like all of us.When I first signed up with BT I went through a lengthy questionaire with one of the moderators,I'm usuming that they are working on finding a good plan for me??

I'm planning on starting acyual training with a plan at the begining of January I have been doing some short 5k runs and some indoor trainer rides,nothing to seriuos I just feel soft doing nothing.

I'm looking into a Masters swim program in Abbotsford here to do some swim training.This will be my biggest challenge I can only swim about 50m without sinking.

One of the big goals I have is to loose about 20 - 25 lbs in the training process I'm a bulky athlete.I want to trim down and get some really needed core strengths.

Chow for now.

2007-12-28 12:32 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Well yesterday was my first day using the training logs. I'm usually more of a pen and paper kind of girl, but like the feedback feature. So thanks guys! I can see how that will really help me, especially when any questions come up.
Today's a rest day (is my only day off work in about 10 days) so I'm just going to take it easy. Mountains of laundry to do and the house is a disorganized nightmare. And actually, I have a date tonight! haha

tr
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marina & Bopper's Mah-velous Mentor Group - Closed & Kickin it hard! Rss Feed  

of 14